Olander update (good news) | The Boneyard

Olander update (good news)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This is going to be front page news on ESPN this afternoon.

Reaction Score
Tyler is 6 ft 10. He just needs to adjust the seats on his car - a la Hightower in Police Academy.

hightower.jpg

Reaction Score
David Borges@DaveBorges
Olander was seen making "jerky steering maneuvers within lane of travel," but passed Breathalyzer. #uconn

This is just CYA for the arresting cop. At some point everyone gets to experience what the "citizen/law enforcement" encounter is really like. If it's not you, it will be your kid, nephew, or neighbor's kid. I love the shock/disbelief/outrage/utter sense of violation these people show up with when the experience is personal and not just someone else in the news. The "someone else" is always the bad guy and the cops are the good guys, just doing their job. "Jerky steering maneuvers?" C'mon. Why not just come out and say it: WEAVING. Everyone is weaving. It's such bs they don't even want to use the term. Now it's "jerky steering maneuvers." You have to just shake your head . . . .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is just CYA for the arresting cop. At some point everyone gets to experience what the "citizen/law enforcement" encounter is really like. If it's not you, it will be your kid, nephew, or neighbor's kid. I love the shock/disbelief/outrage/utter sense of violation these people show up with when the experience is personal and not just someone else in the news. The "someone else" is always the bad guy and the cops are the good guys, just doing their job. "Jerky steering maneuvers?" C'mon. Why not just come out and say it: WEAVING. Everyone is weaving. It's such bs they don't even want to use the term. Now it's "jerky steering maneuvers." You have to just shake your head . . . .

That happened to me when I was a kid. It's BS. It was late at night and the cop was just trolling. My only crime was DWY at night. Driving while young. Cop said I changed lanes without using my turn signal. Which was true, but I was on a 3-lane highway with no other car around, well except for the cop. I still don't know where he came from.

Reaction Score
This is the news I heard earlier.
He still has to understand that when "normal" kids get pulled over their school does not wind up on the front page of ESPN. Get it together.

Reaction Score
Any suspension at all for a kid with one strike driving a car when he had no liscence?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
When I was about 20, I was on the NY Thruway just this side of the PA border. As I pulled out of a rest area, there were three motor homes and a big 5th wheel trailer in the right hand lane. I had to slow way down to let them by before I could merge. As soon as I got out on the highway, I pulled out to pass them, because they are doing like 50 mph. When I reached the front of the line, I put my signal on the pull back in, and checked my rear view mirror for clearance. And what do I see, a cop on my tail. He puts on the lights, passes me as I changed lanes, gets in front of me and signals with his hand for me to pull over as he pulls into the breakdown lane. I pull over in front of him, and he comes up and tells me he's been following me in the left lane for 10 miles. I told him that wasn't possible, as I had just come out of the service area less than a mile back, and he smirks and tells me if I want to challenge the ticket, I'll have to send it in marked not guilty and come to court at Someholeinthewallshitburg, NY, and we'll see who the judge believes.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Any suspension at all for a kid with one strike driving a car when he had no liscence?

I'm sure there will be; he's suspended indefinitely right now.

Reaction Score

I once got a ticket for the same thing (not having my license on me) and was in a courtroom of several others like this. The surprise here is that he plead guilty, because everyone in court that day plead not-guilty and went with a lesser fine (parking, in my case). Now, there's no way to know if the others were like me (licensed but unable to present it) or if some of them were actually unlicensed, but since there were dozens of others, I have to believe at least one of them was unlicensed. And they all got knocked down.

Back when I was growing up in Conn., you didn't need a learner's permit as long as the person guiding you was of a certain age (I believe 25). I wonder who was in the care with him.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be; he's suspended indefinitely right now.
Based on the DUI charge being dropped I'm pretty sure he will be reinstated. Driving while stupid doesn't get you suspended.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
What bothers me is that I'm 100% sure there are 'fans' on here who are disappointed he didn't get a DUI.

Reaction Score
When I was about 20, I was on the NY Thruway just this side of the PA border. As I pulled out of a rest area, there were three motor homes and a big 5th wheel trailer in the right hand lane. I had to slow way down to let them by before I could merge. As soon as I got out on the highway, I pulled out to pass them, because they are doing like 50 mph. When I reached the front of the line, I put my signal on the pull back in, and checked my rear view mirror for clearance. And what do I see, a cop on my tail. He puts on the lights, passes me as I changed lanes, gets in front of me and signals with his hand for me to pull over as he pulls into the breakdown lane. I pull over in front of him, and he comes up and tells me he's been following me in the left lane for 10 miles. I told him that wasn't possible, as I had just come out of the service area less than a mile back, and he smirks and tells me if I want to challenge the ticket, I'll have to send it in marked not guilty and come to court at Someholeinthewall burg, NY, and we'll see who the judge believes.

LOL, same thing happened to me on I-84 in PA just over the state line. I was passing some slow-moving folk, and an unmarked car comes up speeding behind me. So I sped up to let him by, and he ends up pulling me over. I was doing about 63 in a 55 to pass, and when he went behind me I sped up to 68 to get out of his way, and that's what he wrote me up for. 68.

I was actually taught by my history teacher (who was also the school's driving instructor) that you are supposed to exceed the speed limit briefly in the fast lane because it is safer.

Reaction Score
Sooooo all the folks that crucified him before getting all the details... Just a collective "our bad"?

Who "crucified" him? Be more dramatic. I'm waiting for Upstater to compare him to Mandela.

And "our bad" what? He wasn't being a moron? It's mind boggling to me that some of you can't process the idea that these kids should be held to a higher standard than your run of the mill college jerk-off.

Reaction Score
Let's see- no update article as yet from ESPN or CBS Sports ( has Tate George Headline), but Yahoo still has the previous DUI charge, and comments about how UConn is a "convict" school. That's "fair and balanced".

Reaction Score
Who "crucified" him? Be more dramatic. I'm waiting for Upstater to compare him to Mandela.

And "our bad" what? He wasn't being a moron? It's mind boggling to me that some of you can't process the idea that these kids should be held to a higher standard than your run of the mill college jerk-off.

They are both tall men.

Seriously, take some saltpeter or something.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
What bothers me is that I'm 100% sure there are 'fans' on here who are disappointed he didn't get a DUI.
Those people wouldn't be real "fans" (like your quotes indicate as well). F them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Explain how he was being a moron here.

Reaction Score
That happened to me when I was a kid. It's BS. It was late at night and the cop was just trolling. My only crime was DWY at night. Driving while young. Cop said I changed lanes without using my turn signal. Which was true, but I was on a 3-lane highway with no other car around, well except for the cop. I still don't know where he came from.

Happened to me as a Freshman in college. On winter break, some friends and I went to see our old high school hoops team play in North Stonington. The car we were driving, a 1988 Ford POS, was way out of alignment and pulled to the left like crazy. Someone behind us must have called the cops and reported that we were "weaving", because the entire Coventry Police Department descended on us at once on Rte. 44. They ordered us to exit the vehicle, and upon seeing three obviously stone sober kids they apologized and gave us a ticket for something trivial in order to save face.

Reaction Score
The reason cops pull over people for swerving and jerky movements is because its impossible to prove in court the officers judgement otherwise. Its a excuse to pull someone over at night without probable cause.

Reaction Score
I was recently told that police can pull 95% of the people on the road over for violating one simple law: you are not allowed to have the dealership frame around your license plate. It's against the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom