ok give it to me straight - why didn't we get in (again) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ok give it to me straight - why didn't we get in (again)

Reaction Score
try, as best as you can, to give a simple, sober-minded, non-emotional answer as to why we failed to get in again, and if you still believe we can, what are your top 3-5 things we must do to get into the p4/ p3 party ASAP.
Fox has UConn in the Big East, Why would they want to pay more for us in the B12. Plus if we moved to the B12 we would weaken their Big East property. These are strictly business decision.

Reaction Score
Colorado has been bowl eligible twice in the 17 years. Does their football not suck?

What part of my comment did you disagree with?
Read former Colorado Coach Bill McCartney's autobiography. He had Colorado competing for and sharing a national title in the early 90s. He did it by recruiting kids of very questionable character that in the past wouldn't have been admitted (think Rashaad Salaam and Rae Carruth). Basically, the choir boys don't win championships approach. He was a Christian and also felt he could change them. After he left to focus on ministry, Colorado football reverted to it's former sad football status. Clearly, the competitive landscape has changed dramatically, but Colorado was able to win.

As an aside, I think Deion Sanders won't be at Colorado long, but will end up at Florida State at some point.

Reaction Score
Colorado has been bowl eligible twice in the 17 years. Does their football not suck?

I've been a negative fan of Colorado, rooting for them to lose, since they hired Chuck Fairbanks from the Patriots.
And yes, I've been accused of having a long memory.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Which part of my comment did you disagree with?

OPs question asked why did we get passed up by the Big XII - clearly the last 20 years of on field football results didn't weigh as heavily as the perception of a being a football school.

Colorado is viewed upon favorably in that regard and we're not.

I mean do you not see our online fans using women's basketball titles as some sort of smack talk when engaging with other fanbases? Just shows how out of alignment our priorities are with the majority of big time ADs across the country.

Reaction Score
OPs question asked why did we get passed up by the Big XII - clearly the last 20 years of on field football results didn't weigh as heavily as the perception of a being a football school.

Colorado is viewed upon favorably in that regard and we're not.

I mean do you not see our online fans using women's basketball titles as some sort of smack talk when engaging with other fanbases? Just shows how out of alignment our priorities are with the majority of big time ADs across the country.
We're left out because our football program sucks, it has nothing to do with how great our basketball program is.

Colorado is going back home and they have excitement now with Prime Time. Despite sucking for a while they've shown winning at the highest level is possible there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Of course, the best way to get more people to go is just win more.
The best way for UConn to get more people to go is to get in a power conference. More people will attend immediately win or lose. Win, and it's even more.

GG

Reaction Score
Football and short sided presidents.

Reaction Score
I don't believe anyone anticipated the PAC to fall apart as quickly as it did. Looked good for UConn until that point. Money always rules the decision process in the end. It sucks, but is the reality of everything business related. Yes, it is also true our football has sucked. Some very bad hires and a myopic view that basketball is all we need. Football is king in most of the US, for some reason we just don't get it here. Way to many basketball only fans when you should care about everything UConn.

Reaction Score
I've been a negative fan of Colorado, rooting for them to lose, since they hired Chuck Fairbanks from the Patriots.
And yes, I've been accused of having a long memory.
Hello. Hello. Anybody home? Huh? Think, McFly, think!

Why would you need long term memory when you have a Time Machine?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Fox has UConn in the Big East, Why would they want to pay more for us in the B12. Plus if we moved to the B12 we would weaken their Big East property. These are strictly business decision.
But the networks want us to believe they have no say in CR

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We're left out because our football program sucks, it has nothing to do with how great our basketball program is.

Colorado is going back home and they have excitement now with Prime Time. Despite sucking for a while they've shown winning at the highest level is possible there.

We're viewed accurately as a basketball school. Why is this so hard to understand?

Even when we were good - we got passed over for Pitt and Syracuse and later looking Louisville.

I mean good lord Seton Hall played for a title and UNLV won one of you go that far back for Colorado. Success is cyclical but programs and support is a lot more inert.

Reaction Score
We're viewed accurately as a basketball school. Why is this so hard to understand?

Even when we were good - we got passed over for Pitt and Syracuse and later looking Louisville.

I mean good lord Seton Hall played for a title and UNLV won one of you go that far back for Colorado. Success is cyclical but programs and support is a lot more inert.
Yes, we're viewed as a basketball school because we're awesome at basketball and win championships all the time in basketball. We're viewed as a terrible football school because we suck at football. The sucking at football thing is why we're left out.

We agree.

Reaction Score
Because people think our football program
Is lame and because they think we have a small fanbase.

Reaction Score
all of this breaks my heart. sry to all you long-timers - hope you get your wish of an elevated uconn football & athletics.

but i seriously wonder, if Syracuse and BC and Rutgers have not been able to matter in the national conversation, even with their top tier P5 status, what makes us think we have a shot to do any better? Are we in a better position/more serious about it? asking not because i'm hating, but because the investment/standard that the P4/P3 is implicitly asking of us, is pretty serious. Is that something we want to do, and to what end, ultimately (i.e. what does it accomplish for UConn, to keep spending and spending on football)?

AGAIN - not advocating for cancelling program/going to FCS, like others people. I v much desire to see us on the big stage. Just asking real dollars and cents / ROI questions. Surely someone in UConn boardroom, is as well.... you can only get left at the altar so much.

Reaction Score
Spend every dollar we are willing to commit to athletics to proving we are a better brand, have a big market base, and are stronger at football than SDSU, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, USF, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, BCU, and Wake Forest between now and 2031. We seemingly have just one more shot at this.

Reaction Score
Spend every dollar we are willing to commit to athletics to proving we are a better brand, have a big market base, and are stronger at football than SDSU, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, USF, Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, BCU, and Wake Forest between now and 2031. We seemingly have just one more shot at this.
I agree we only have one more shot and our football program has to be winning 8+ games every season until the time comes when the ACC implodes otherwise we won't get in over the likes of Pitt, L'ville, Va Tech, Ga Tech, or NC State.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
try, as best as you can, to give a simple, sober-minded, non-emotional answer as to why we failed to get in again, and if you still believe we can, what are your top 3-5 things we must do to get into the p4/ p3 party ASAP.

It’s a largely southwest conference and four already-P5 schools in more convenient locations became available.

According to the Arizona president, they were signing a GOR on Friday morning before Oregon called and said they were going to the Big Ten.

We came that close

Reaction Score
all of this breaks my heart. sry to all you long-timers - hope you get your wish of an elevated uconn football & athletics.

but i seriously wonder, if Syracuse and BC and Rutgers have not been able to matter in the national conversation, even with their top tier P5 status, what makes us think we have a shot to do any better? Are we in a better position/more serious about it? asking not because i'm hating, but because the investment/standard that the P4/P3 is implicitly asking of us, is pretty serious. Is that something we want to do, and to what end, ultimately (i.e. what does it accomplish for UConn, to keep spending and spending on football)?

AGAIN - not advocating for cancelling program/going to FCS, like others people. I v much desire to see us on the big stage. Just asking real dollars and cents / ROI questions. Surely someone in UConn boardroom, is as well.... you can only get left at the altar so much.
UConn has a history of building successful athletic programs so I am confident that UConn can be successful at football if given the required resources.

Syracuse and BC as private schools have limited financial strength to compete at the top level of college football. If either of those schools had gotten left behind when the ACC expanded like UConn did, I would think their football programs would have collapsed due to lack of funding.

Look at BC's last 3 football head coaching hires. Spaziani was a disaster. Addazio defined mediocrity. Hafley hasn't shown he can handle the job. Why were they hired? Because BC was unwilling to pay up for a proven successful head coach.

Rutgers is Rutgers. They are perceived to be a sleeping giant due to their proximity to NYC and Philly, but they just seem to have trouble building successful athletic programs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
James Madison, for one. Not sure about the others.
He was short but John Quincy Adams may have been shorter. Both were reported to be in the 5'3" range

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom