OK, Benedict - it's on you now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OK, Benedict - it's on you now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony/Courant Article when announced:

>>Asked Monday about the process that led to his signing a five-year, $9.5 million contract through the 2020 season, UConn football coach Bob Diaco said only, "The conversations started on Dec. 3." That's when UConn President Susan Herbst and then-athletic director Warde Manuel broached the topic. At that point, the Huskies were preparing for the program's first bowl game in five years. In the months to follow, Manuel left for Michigan and David Benedict took over as UConn athletic director.

Diaco, Benedict and Herbst signed Diaco's new contract on May 6.

"There were a few things that still needed to be worked through, but most of the major stuff had been agreed to," Benedict said. "I did have, call it six weeks, to get to know Coach Diaco and his staff a little bit. From everything I can evaluate in a short period of time, which is not a lot, I'm very excited about everything I see. I think he's done a great job and I think he's going to do great things at UConn, and I just hope he's going to be with us for a long time."<<

DB has a boss too...

Sorry all that experience he had at Auburn, Minnesota and Arizona State should have told him it was too generous a deal and he should have conveyed that to Herbst. Hell even four million was too generous.

Reaction Score
They are making adjustments. That is easy to see. Just not fast enough and missing some very important and basic strategic concepts.

Getting from 2 wins to 6 is easy. Getting from 6 to 9 is hard.

How hard is it to go from 6 to 3? That's what we are looking at.

C

Chief00

In some ways it was a reward for taking a step forward.

Having taken that step, if we continued on that trajectory like we all expected, then... there would be fear of losing him. Obviously this was premature but not entirely unreasonable at the time.

Lastly I think JMick has a good idea re: stability.

In hindsight the extension was dumb. At the time... well I don't think it was dumb per se but probably premature. No one expected us to do this poorly... no one.

I said at the time, quite frankly, we were not a bowl team last year and should have stayed home rather than go and lose to Marshall. For going to a bowl, all kinds of people in the Athletics Dept got bonuses and additionally Diaco got a raise, more years and a better buyout - pretty good for a 6-7 record.

My question to Susan Herbst is what is the baseline expectation for a coach before you give him additional goodies - just don't see a losing record deserving all that.

Next time listen to Chief and save time, dollars and aggravation. Most importantly get on winning roll.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Coach extensions are a problem throughout college sports. They're often the answer to a question nobody's asking.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I said at the time, quite frankly, we were not a bowl team last year and should have stayed home rather than go and lose to Marshall. For going to a bowl, all kinds of people in the Athletics Dept got bonuses and additionally Diaco got a raise, more years and a better buyout - pretty good for a 6-7 record.

My question to Susan Herbst is what is the baseline expectation for a coach before you give him additional goodies - just don't see a losing record deserving all that.

Next time listen to Chief and save time, dollars and aggravation. Most importantly get on winning roll.
Turning down the bowl invite is as dumb now as it was when you first suggested it.

Reaction Score
I'm going to join Amway and beg Bob Diaco to join me so we can make "One Billion" dollars.

Who knew his peak was 6-6.

I got my boy Randy on speed dial. Hang tight.

Reaction Score

Listen to Chief and hang out with Drummond. You're a clown

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not that it did any good...but I wrote Benedict some time ago asking if he wanted to be associated with the demise ( for all practical purposes) of the UConn Football program. Obviously, he saw, and now sees, no problem!
What makes you think DB sees no problem? Is it because he hasn't publicly blasted the coach?

I'm pretty confident that there have been discussions between the two and I would wager that while DB may not have been overly specific about the how BD needs to go about it, DB made clear that tangible evidence of progress will be necessary before too much time passes.

Reaction Score
What makes you think DB sees no problem? Is it because he hasn't publicly blasted the coach?

I'm pretty confident that there have been discussions between the two and I would wager that while DB may not have been overly specific about the how BD needs to go about it, DB made clear that tangible evidence of progress will be necessary before too much time passes.

I think anyone who would say otherwise is just being emotional, whether people think it's warranted or not.

The Diaco extension looks like crap now but it was a gamble. You never really know what you actually have in year 2 with a football coach or any coach. What I hope they do is realize that Diaco is probably a sunk cost at this point and it's best to move on *if* we think we can afford it. If we can't afford it, ride it out a year and then rethink discussions.

Benedict saying anything publicly would be the stupidest thing that could happen. Keep that ish in house and make your decision. don't let a cloud hang over the program.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They are making adjustments. That is easy to see. Just not fast enough and missing some very important and basic strategic concepts.

Getting from 2 wins to 6 is easy. Getting from 6 to 9 is hard.

Lets see how easy just getting another win this year will be

Reaction Score
I think anyone who would say otherwise is just being emotional, whether people think it's warranted or not.

The Diaco extension looks like crap now but it was a gamble. You never really know what you actually have in year 2 with a football coach or any coach. What I hope they do is realize that Diaco is probably a sunk cost at this point and it's best to move on *if* we think we can afford it. If we can't afford it, ride it out a year and then rethink discussions.

Benedict saying anything publicly would be the stupidest thing that could happen. Keep that ish in house and make your decision. don't let a cloud hang over the program.

seriously do you follow modern football? The Texas AD pretty much has to give a press conference every hour on Charlie Strong. And don't give me the "we're not Texas" b.s. Google

Reaction Score
I hope for the sake of sanity that Benedict initially resisted the extension momentum created by our outgoing AD and President. Yes everyone was happy for the Bowl Bid but 6-6 is not spectacular and the offense which was putrid all season was just as bad in the bowl game. Thomas was ready to ring their necks afterwards. Just like everyone else I expected more progress this season and growth from the coaching staff to correct their shortcomings. But a contract extension should have been contingent on that success being realized, not because of some rosy picture he painted or the threat of "other interested teams". We've got a coach who coaches scared and executives who negotiate scared?

Funny thing is I don't even remember the extension issue at all as if it wasn't really made a big deal of. Did we have a thread on it here?

Never mind found one:
UConn football coach Bob Diaco has agreed to a two-year contact extension through 2020.

...and I understand the hopeful attitude expressed by many on that thread but feel like the last post was a bit more sober.
UConn football coach Bob Diaco has agreed to a two-year contact extension through 2020.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
seriously do you follow modern football? The Texas AD pretty much has to give a press conference every hour on Charlie Strong. And don't give me the "we're not Texas" b.s. Google

And what good has that done for Texas? The only thing a press conference or soundbite does is put doubt into your roster and your recruits. You're a moron if you think it's a good idea that Benedict comes out and makes a statement. Keep that crap in house.

Reaction Score
And what good has that done for Texas? The only thing a press conference or soundbite does is put doubt into your roster and your recruits. You're a moron if you think it's a good idea that Benedict comes out and makes a statement. Keep that crap in house.

OK Mr. Old School

Reaction Score
OK Mr. Old School
capture-delusion-blog-08-15.png

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agreed. Nobody saw this regression coming. And post game listening to him talking about scrapping everything and scraping was so unsettling

Nobody? The gambling markets set the season win total at 5 with juice on the under.

C

Chief00

Turning down the bowl invite is as dumb now as it was when you first suggested it.
You need to see the play ahead - it sent all the wrong messages - cost us a ton of dollars - made mediocracy acceptable - delayed coming to terms with our QB problem. Quite frankly, sadly all this stuff played out this year as predicted.
As other posters have indicated - listen to Chief next time. I will keep it real.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You need to see the play ahead - it sent all the wrong messages - cost us a ton of dollars - made mediocracy acceptable - delayed coming to terms with our QB problem. Quite frankly, sadly all this stuff played out this year as predicted.
As other posters have indicated - listen to Chief next time. I will keep it real.
You are completely full of . Name me one successful team that declines bowl invitations. Can't wait to see your list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom