OK, Benedict - it's on you now | The Boneyard

OK, Benedict - it's on you now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Benedict extended this crack-pot in August for pretty big bucks. He has to have the courage at the end of the season to say - I made a mistake - This is not the right guy. And if he loses to BC, he doesn't come home on the bus. This guy is dreadful and we need to suck it up and deal with it.

Reaction Score
Sent my email to Benedict. I'm sure it's in the circular file, but it's worth folks letting them know enough is enough.
Not that it did any good...but I wrote Benedict some time ago asking if he wanted to be associated with the demise ( for all practical purposes) of the UConn Football program. Obviously, he saw, and now sees, no problem!
I'm sure with Coach Diaco's fine record ( built on his many expressions of love) Benedict envisioned other schools knocking the doors down to "steal" him from us. How could he resist not giving him an extension and a raise....and, in so doing, sentencing us to several more years of suffering!

Reaction Score
Not that it did any good...but I wrote Benedict some time ago asking if he wanted to be associated with the demise ( for all practical purposes) of the UConn Football program. Obviously, he saw, and now sees, no problem!
I'm sure with Coach Diaco's fine record ( built on his many expressions of love) Benedict envisioned other schools knocking the doors down to "steal" him from us. How could he resist not giving him an extension and a raise....and, in so doing, sentencing us to several more years of suffering!
Serious question here so everyone pls put away the sarcasm. What do you think motivated Benedict to extend Diaco essentially sight unseen? I've been racking my brain on his one and other than incompetence or thinking Diaco was a flight risk I got nothing

Reaction Score
Serious question here so everyone pls put away the sarcasm. What do you think motivated Benedict to extend Diaco essentially sight unseen? I've been racking my brain on his one and other than incompetence or thinking Diaco was a flight risk I got nothing

For the appearance of program stability during conference realignment talk

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
In some ways it was a reward for taking a step forward.

Having taken that step, if we continued on that trajectory like we all expected, then... there would be fear of losing him. Obviously this was premature but not entirely unreasonable at the time.

Lastly I think JMick has a good idea re: stability.

In hindsight the extension was dumb. At the time... well I don't think it was dumb per se but probably premature. No one expected us to do this poorly... no one.

Reaction Score
In some ways it was a reward for taking a step forward.

Having taken that step, if we continued on that trajectory like we all expected, then... there would be fear of losing him. Obviously this was premature but not entirely unreasonable at the time.

Lastly I think JMick has a good idea re: stability.

In hindsight the extension was dumb. At the time... well I don't think it was dumb per se but probably premature. No one expected us to do this poorly... no one.
Agreed. Nobody saw this regression coming. And post game listening to him talking about scrapping everything and scraping was so unsettling

Reaction Score
Sent my email to Benedict. I'm sure it's in the circular file, but it's worth folks letting them know enough is enough.

Don't be so sure. Have heard from other season tix holders that a "personal concierge" has been assigned them from UConn. The concierge (ugh, hate the term) is supposed to be the person you direct questions/concerns/comments to. He knows the natives are restless

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can anyone confirm the contract extension was actually signed? Announced and signed are two different things?

All coaches are kept on a 4/5 year contract. Not to do so hurts recruiting and player development. You can go as low as 3 on and existing deal before you either have to extend or fire the guy.

At the time of the extension he had met his goals (strangely, but met them). That's why he was extended. This year has been terrible in terms of program leadership. This having nothing to do with the players.

I'm convinced every other coach in the American could take this roster as is and win 6 games against this years schedule. The players have holes in their games but that is true of every team that has beaten us this season.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Nobody saw this regression coming. And post game listening to him talking about scrapping everything and scraping was so unsettling

Diaco is clearly someone that feels a lot and for as bad of a coach I think he is, I think he's genuinely befuddled and doesn't know what's going wrong. He seems to really think he can will his team to victory.

Reaction Score
Diaco, 43, who acknowledged after the season that other FBS programs had shown interest in him, will earn raises on his overall salary (base pay of $400,000 each year, plus public appearance compensation).

I'm going to call b.s. on that one. Too bad Herbst/Benedict didn't

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
They are making adjustments. That is easy to see. Just not fast enough and missing some very important and basic strategic concepts.

Getting from 2 wins to 6 is easy. Getting from 6 to 9 is hard.

Reaction Score
Diaco is clearly someone that feels a lot and for as bad of a coach I think he is, I think he's genuinely befuddled and doesn't know what's going wrong. He seems to really think he can will his team to victory.

Perhaps but what's been revealed this year is a bizarre incuriosity as to how the offense he is supposedly in charge of actually works.

Reaction Score

He won 6 games and wore nice outfits

Reaction Score
Don't be so sure. Have heard from other season tix holders that a "personal concierge" has been assigned them from UConn. The concierge (ugh, hate the term) is supposed to be the person you direct questions/concerns/comments to. He knows the natives are restless
I can attest. Got a call from one on Friday. Went to VM. I'll call her back. However She sounded like she was 21. Her job is to sell tickets. No way she has access to Benedict. She works for a third party

Reaction Score

My theory is that DB thought this was a good way to show he was "the man" to his old boss at Auburn and others

Reaction Score
They are making adjustments. That is easy to see. Just not fast enough and missing some very important and basic strategic concepts.

Getting from 2 wins to 6 is easy. Getting from 6 to 9 is hard.
Getting back to 6 looks just as hard.

Reaction Score
I honestly believe Diaco used the 6-6 bowling season to sell them on extension. We have to remember that we all were assuming that was an inflection point and a breakout year was coming. Rational minds could be convinced that if he did have a great year, he would be a potential short timer or have even more leverage in renegotiation. Con-men are astute at leveraging their opportunities. Diaco knew damn well what he had then, and he was hoping he might catch some lighting in a bottle and come out looking good, but covered for the more likely downside at the most opportune time. Diaco is the consummate confidence man and can sell farts to a perfume factory. Benedict was smelling roses and the power of love, family and good energy.

Reaction Score

My theory is that DB thought this was a good way to show he was "the man" to his old boss at Auburn and others

Mike Anthony/Courant Article when announced:

>>Asked Monday about the process that led to his signing a five-year, $9.5 million contract through the 2020 season, UConn football coach Bob Diaco said only, "The conversations started on Dec. 3." That's when UConn President Susan Herbst and then-athletic director Warde Manuel broached the topic. At that point, the Huskies were preparing for the program's first bowl game in five years. In the months to follow, Manuel left for Michigan and David Benedict took over as UConn athletic director.

Diaco, Benedict and Herbst signed Diaco's new contract on May 6.

"There were a few things that still needed to be worked through, but most of the major stuff had been agreed to," Benedict said. "I did have, call it six weeks, to get to know Coach Diaco and his staff a little bit. From everything I can evaluate in a short period of time, which is not a lot, I'm very excited about everything I see. I think he's done a great job and I think he's going to do great things at UConn, and I just hope he's going to be with us for a long time."<<

DB has a boss too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak