Ohtani, this dude is unreal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ohtani, this dude is unreal

Reaction Score
Yeah I posted the updated one below it. Ohtani still having a record setting year but if there was a league-wide MVP it would almost unanimously go to Judge lol. Unless you really, really love stolen bases
Or you like the most complete transformational player ever.

Reaction Score
@superjohn I'm sure you've seen the doc about him. I think it was Disney plus. His routine growing up was other worldy. He made this venn diagram type motivation rubric when he was like 10 years old. And it wasn't only athletic. He was focused on stuff like mental health, compassion, equanimity...it's unreal.

I blame fantasy football as the reason that this guy isn't the most famous athlete in the country. Mahomes would have to be a shut down corner as well, in order to measure up.
I haven't seen it or really anything else on him when he was in Japan. I do remember the hype when he came over and he has far exceeded it

Reaction Score
Greatest baseball ever. One of the best athletes ever. We are all lucky we are witnessing live history. This is in a year he isn't even pitching. He is also one of the best pitchers in the league.

Reaction Score
They'll both win MVP but Judge is having a better season and it's not even really that close

First of all, Judge is one of the best players in the MLB. Ohtani is the greatest baseball player and talent ever. The comparison isn't fair or even close.

As for this season, it is not even over yet. We will see the final stats at the and of the season

Plenty of players have done what Judge has done this year, but not one except Ohtani has reached 50/50. He is in the club of 1.

It is now 52/52. Ohtani is 3 for 4 with one SB so far after the insane last night.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Used to be a time when a player's relative value to his team was a bigger part of determining MVP than simply that player's WAR.

I bring that up because no player has been more important to his team than Bobby Witt Jr.

Looking at the AL and NL, here's the % of offensive/defensive WAR share of each player's team total WAR so far this year:

Witt: 46.7
Judge: 32.8
Lindor: 28.9
Ohtani: 24.0

If I were voting for MVP, I'd go Witt in AL and Lindor in NL.

Reaction Score
Yeah Judge has had the better season. Some would say the 50/50 could impact. First time ever is pretty big.
How much does the new pickoff rule
Impact his Sb? I don’t follow enough to know but imagine it’s got to be a factor

Edit:just looked it up. Avg before new rule was 2400-2700 per year. Now it’s 3500. So a 40% increase. Wow didn’t realize it was that dramatic.

It’s a great feat but I don’t think he gets there without rule change

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First of all, Judge is one of the best players in the MLB. Ohtani is the greatest baseball player and talent ever. The comparison isn't fair or even close.

As for this season, it is not even over yet. We will see the final stats at the and of the season

Plenty of players have done what Judge has done this year, but not one except Ohtani has reached 50/50. He is in the club of 1.

It is now 52/52. Ohtani is 3 for 4 with one SB so far after the insane last night.
He wouldn’t have done it without the new rules.

Reaction Score
ChatGPT summary of the Dodgers the past 10 years (sadly I'm a Mets fan -but wish we had their owners) :
Over the past 10 years (2014–2023), the Los Angeles Dodgers have made the playoffs every year, for a total of 10 consecutive playoff appearances. This includes:

1. 2020: Won the World Series***.
*** - 60 game regular season due to COVID. Neutral site and 25% capacity in the stands.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Betts lost MVP last year because of SB is quite the dumb take.

Thank you. I won’t allow Ronnie Acuna slander in here.

I HATE the Dodgers (this new Yankees-Dodgers iteration) but Ohtani is insane.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Used to be a time when a player's relative value to his team was a bigger part of determining MVP than simply that player's WAR.

I bring that up because no player has been more important to his team than Bobby Witt Jr.

Looking at the AL and NL, here's the % of offensive/defensive WAR share of each player's team total WAR so far this year:

What?!

Reaction Score
Impact his Sb? I don’t follow enough to know but imagine it’s got to be a factor

Edit:just looked it up. Avg before new rule was 2400-2700 per year. Now it’s 3500. So a 40% increase. Wow didn’t realize it was that dramatic.

He definitely would have still gotten there even without the rule change. The slightly bigger base is the only thing that's causing any change. It still seems very rare that a pitcher is even getting into scenarios where he's using 2 pickoff attempts and the rule change even matters

Reaction Score

If it is so easy,, why aren't others in the MLB doing it?

Why is Ohtani the only player in the entire history of baseball that is on the pace for 60/60?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

DH get published because they don't take the field for WAR, which is ridiculous.

Ask Dodgers GM if they would trade Ohtani for Judge or Lundor straight up, you already know the answer. Ask Dodgers GM if he would trade Ohtani for Judge and Lundor, the answer would still be a big fat no. Dodgers would ask for other players thrown in the deal.

If Ohtani played outfield, I have no doubt he would be a better outfielder than Judge. As far as combination of power, speed, and arm strength, there is no comparison.

Reaction Score

Why is Ohtani the only player in the entire history of baseball that is on the pace for 60/60?
He’s not getting 60/60. There’s only 8 games left.

Reaction Score
He’s not getting 60/60. There’s only 8 games left.
I don't think he can either. However, it is Ohtani we are talking about. It is his world, and we are just living in it. When you say he can't do something, he will simply do it better even when the idea of doing it is insane.

Reaction Score
Ohtani used to do this when he was on the Angels. He is doing the same on the Dodgers right now. Keep in mind Dodgers is full of talent with 2 MVPs on the roster.

The only thing holding the Dodgers back this year might be pitching due to all the injuries. If Shohei is pitching this year, he would probably be the ace too. Yamamoto might be the only one who can challenge him in pitching assuming Yamamoto can stay healthy.

Ohtani is just ridiculous.

1000019295.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-09-21-07-20-00-17_b72a20be883aec8a014bd2b7c7038e87.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-09-21-07-20-00-17_b72a20be883aec8a014bd2b7c7038e87.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 20
Reaction Score
I don't think he can either. However, it is Ohtani we are talking about. It is his world, and we are just living in it. When you say he can't do something, he will simply do it better even when the idea of doing it is insane.
I guess he plausibly could, but on pace just wasn’t the right term.

Reaction Score
I guess he plausibly could, but on pace just wasn’t the right term.
Last night he broke Ricky Henderson's all time record with number of games with a SB and HR. He is knocking down MLB records like every other day

It has been an absolute joy watching this guy playing right now. It is something that might not be repeated again for a long long time if ever. He is simply much better than Babe Ruth while doing it against modern MLB players.

Reaction Score

How many players did 40/40? Im not saying it’s easy. I’m saying without the new pickoff rules he wouldn’t do it. Did u read my post showing stolen bases are up 40%??

Reaction Score
Last night he broke Ricky Henderson's all time record with number of games with a SB and HR. He is knocking down MLB records like every other day

It has been an absolute joy watching this guy playing right now. It is something that might not be repeated again for a long long time if ever. He is simply much better than Babe Ruth while doing it against modern MLB players.
How many stolen bases would Ricky have with the new rules?? 200?

Reaction Score
He definitely would have still gotten there even without the rule change. The slightly bigger base is the only thing that's causing any change. It still seems very rare that a pitcher is even getting into scenarios where he's using 2 pickoff attempts and the rule change even matters
Then why are sb up 40%. Not 10 or 20…40!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom