Ohio State Game Thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Ohio State Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno was fairly confident at the end of the 1st half. I think he knew that Mitchell was going to cool off, which she did and then tried to force it in the 2nd half. Another learning experience for Ms Mitchell.

Great play by the core-4. Solid effort by Danger and good minutes by Nat. It will be great to get Saniya back at some point, but I guess we only need 6. It's a beautiful thing.

Reaction Score
She started and is 0-4 shooting.
I did say playing for the HUSKIES being facetious because she seemingly did nothing throughout the game. I suppose that's a bit harsh but some people here were hurt that she ended up going to Duke after all the attention she got from our staff and the presumption that she was a lock for UConn, partially because her brother was playing here.

Reaction Score
Ohio St had their chances to make a comeback in the 4th quarter. UConn players were gassed, but OSU couldn't take advantage. Kelsey Mitchell can keep you in a game, but also take you out of a game. It seems OSU doesn't know how to run offense without Kelsey taking a shot. They don't look for other players except late in the shot clock. If I was OSU, the ball would have gone into Mavunga on every possession and then pass it out to Kelsey if Mavunga wasn't in a position to score. They could have owned the low post.
Both teams looked gassed to me.

Reaction Score
Geno was fairly confident at the end of the 1st half. I think he knew that Mitchell was going to cool off, which she did and then tried to force it in the 2nd half. Another learning experience for Ms Mitchell.

Great play by the core-4. Solid effort by Danger and good minutes by Nat. It will be great to get Saniya back at some point, but I guess we only need 6. It's a beautiful thing.
I really want Saniya back because her minutes are important to keeping the team fresh. I don't necessarily think she'd put up too many big numbers but spelling the team and her senior leadership are both important to the well being of this team

Reaction Score
Ohio St had their chances to make a comeback in the 4th quarter. UConn players were gassed, but OSU couldn't take advantage. Kelsey Mitchell can keep you in a game, but also take you out of a game. It seems OSU doesn't know how to run offense without Kelsey taking a shot. They don't look for other players except late in the shot clock. If I was OSU, the ball would have gone into Mavunga on every possession and then pass it out to Kelsey if Mavunga wasn't in a position to score. They could have owned the low post.

Ohio St. was tired too. Also by now you must be aware that UConn would have adjusted.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This game scared the crap out of me, I just wanted it to be over.
So much underutilized talent on that Ohio State team; basically just play schoolyard BB

But so much beautiful BB on our side; if Pheesa would have made a few more of her makable shots, she would have had 40...
The 4th quarter steals of Gabby...amazing
This team is a work of art; and a tribute to their individual competitiveness and superior coaching.

I've been hearing stories of Debbie Antonelli's distain...sure didn't hear it tonight.
She sounds like a believer.

Reaction Score
Loved the 3rd quarter but it sure seemed like outside of Pheesa, no one had any legs in that last quarter and UConn's shooting percentage was horrid. I respect that UConn is wonderfully conditioned but they can't continue to play 38 to 40 minutes a night and not have it have some impact on them. Come on, Geno, give the other kids a chance in game conditions. How bad must they be playing in practice not to give them some opportunities to play, particularly in the latter part of the fourth quarter????
I tend to feel similarly, but I wonder whether Geno isn't trying to get these kids into absolute peak condition, given that there will be games when they will have to play the whole game (Notre Dame, etc). He threw the freshmen in at the end of the 1st half against Baylor to protect some starters against fouls and they did okay. So, it may not be lack of trust so much as putting increasing demands on his starters in preparation for the tournament. Come league play, the others should get their minutes. If they don't, then I think there's something to the other explanation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team misses Saniya.
She's important because she's a solid player and the minutes that she's on the court allows someone else to get some rest. She's had some nice moments from time to time but as was evident tonight, her biggest asset to this team may be that she can help keep her teammates fresh and prevent the ugliness that we saw from our team in that fourth quarter. It was so evident that they were spent and struggling.

Reaction Score
Loved the 3rd quarter but it sure seemed like outside of Pheesa, no one had any legs in that last quarter and UConn's shooting percentage was horrid. I respect that UConn is wonderfully conditioned but they can't continue to play 38 to 40 minutes a night and not have it have some impact on them. Come on, Geno, give the other kids a chance in game conditions. How bad must they be playing in practice not to give them some opportunities to play, particularly in the latter part of the fourth quarter????[/QUOTE
Buzz
I've read 3 or 4 of your post. Change your name to Buzz kill.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This game scared the crap out of me, I just wanted it to be over.
So much underutilized talent on that Ohio State team; basically just play schoolyard BB

But so much beautiful BB on our side; if Pheesa would have made a few more of her makable shots, she would have had 40...
The 4th quarter steals of Gabby...amazing
This team is a work of art; and a tribute to their individual competitiveness and superior coaching.

I've been hearing stories of Debbie Antonelli's distain...sure didn't hear it tonight.
You ain't never lied. Mavunga and Cooper have AA talent IMO.

Reaction Score
Pheesa has 25 and 10. All-American numbers.

Lou has 26.

That's 51 for the TWINS.
I think Lou was really spent for the entire fourth quarter or her numbers would have been much better. I think Napheesa's conditioning allowed her to really pad her numbers in the fourth quarter, making her numbers much better.

Reaction Score

I used to think she was anti UConn but have come to realize Antonelli just wants the rest of WCB to catch up to UConn and is frustrated that it ain't happening. She appreciates UConn for their excellence but also sees them as blocking her dream of parity lol. She does sound desperate at times for someone, anyone to beat UConn and, of course, that ain't gonna go over too well with UConn fans.

Reaction Score
You ain't never lied. Mavunga and Cooper have AA talent IMO.
Looks like we're going to have an awful lot of AA players this year. It seems like I've read about so many players being touted as potentially making it and I'm not against the suggestion that there are a lot of very talented kids but based on what I've heard, we had the entire All-American team on the court between these two teams. We've got three and they've got AT LEAST two if not three. A lot of exuberance.

Reaction Score
I used to think she was anti UConn but have come to realize Antonelli just wants the rest of WCB to catch up to UConn and is frustrated that it ain't happening. She appreciates UConn for their excellence but also sees them as blocking her dream of parity lol. She does sound desperate at times for someone, anyone to beat UConn and, of course, that ain't gonna go over too well with UConn fans.
It seems like there is parity BELOW UConn. The team from Storrs is the exception but the rest of women's basketball seem to have a lot of balance where anyone can beat anyone.

Reaction Score
In today's Courant, Geno said Molly and Kyla haven't proved to him that he can trust them in games.
Thanks! Being in Florida, I don't get to read the Connecticut papers. I sure hope that trust happens soon because I don't think it's healthy keeping these girls playing those minutes because it surely increases the possibility of injury. That could be disastrous.

Reaction Score
In other words, she's anti-UConn

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Looks like we're going to have an awful lot of AA players this year. It seems like I've read about so many players being touted as potentially making it and I'm not against the suggestion that there are a lot of very talented kids but based on what I've heard, we had the entire All-American team on the court between these two teams. We've got three and they've got AT LEAST two if not three. A lot of exuberance.
Slow down AA Talent DOES NOT EQUAL AA.
Kelsey Mitchell will make AA because she once lead the NCAA In scoring.
KLS and Napheesa are having AA season, unfortunately there were on virtually Nobody's Pre_Season AA teams.
Mavunga & Cooper have AA talent but lack the teammates (Kelsey Mitchell had 1 assist in the game tonight) and the Coach to get to AA status =Kevin AIN'T it!

Reaction Score
One of the things I noticed is that Napheesa got an awful lot of her rebounds and points in the second half and I think a lot of it (beyond her talent) has to do with her conditioning where while others were getting fatigued and winded and faltering, she took advantage and got to loose balls and rebounds and got easy baskets. Her stamina is pretty impressive, to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom