Ohio State Game Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Ohio State Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've never seen this even mentioned, but I don't understand why, if Geno really needs someone from the bench, he doesn't use Tierney Lawlor. She's been around for 4 years and knows the system as well as anyone, and it seems to me in the very limited time she's had she has done okay. I don't remember any serious mistakes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good observation. She is a great shooter, but there is a lot of standing around by the other 4 players while she dribbles around looking for her shot. Crystal Dangerfield really frustrated her in the third quarter.
Moriah would have been proud!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'm going to keep saying it. UConn cannot continue to run these girls 35-40 mins. a game. They'll either get injured or be legless by the time the Dance starts. Kyla, Molly and Crystal Dangerfield must get significant minutes from here on in. Re-watch the game and take a look at the pounding Collier and Lou are taking.
I disagree with the correlation you are making between minutes and injury. Injuries are more random IMO. I trust the experience base of the UCONN staff to condition the team to both avoid injuries and be ready for each player to play 35-40 Minutes for an entire season if required.
In the past 3 season among the starters the only player to NOT miss games because of injury is the player that was also logging minutes in the off season in the Pan Am Games and Olympics-Kia Nurse.

Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'm going to keep saying it. UConn cannot continue to run these girls 35-40 mins. a game. They'll either get injured or be legless by the time the Dance starts. Kyla, Molly and Crystal Dangerfield must get significant minutes from here on in. Re-watch the game and take a look at the pounding Collier and Lou are taking.
I'm a little confused here. Geno says his team need to get it's collective ass beat, and soon and we all nod our heads in agreement. Has a certain coach-y logic to it. Yet earlier today we hear that his dazzling freshmen (and I know you all remember the praise heaped onto them by no less than Geno himself) can't play until he has absolute trust in them - which sounds a whole lot like someone who is more interested in the win column than not. Something isn't in alignment here. I hear about how these games don't matter until tournament time rolls around..but we can't risk resting the 'stars' because the rest of the team can't be trusted?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've never seen this even mentioned, but I don't understand why, if Geno really needs someone from the bench, he doesn't use Tierney Lawlor. She's been around for 4 years and knows the system as well as anyone, and it seems to me in the very limited time she's had she has done okay. I don't remember any serious mistakes.
I Love me some Tierney Lawlor, but there is a very good reason you have not seen this mentioned anywhere.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I disagree with the correlation you are making between minutes and injury. Injuries are more random IMO. I trust the experience base of the UCONN staff to condition the team to both avoid injuries and be ready for each player to play 35-40 Minutes for an entire season if required.
In the past 3 season among the starters the only player to NOT miss games because of injury is the player that was also logging minutes in the off season in the Pan Am Games and Olympics-Kia Nurse.
Well, we seldom disagree but here I say to-maa-to. This is an undersized team and the forwards are taking a terrific pounding underneath. If this was a bigger team I'd perhaps say okay, but not when these ladies are giving up 20-40 pounds night in and night out. Yeah, injuries are random given equal circumstances. Here, I don't see those circumstances as equal.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just got home from the game - it wasn't exactly the prettiest game we've seen, but a win is a win and I'll gladly take this.

My main concern with this team is simply mental and physical fatigue. They look run down, and some of them have taken quite the beating against some of these teams - I don't at all blame them and applaud them for coming this far given the circumstances. Their resilience and ability to push forward when they look like they want to collapse is what makes me so proud to be a fan of this team. They're truly playing team ball and are constantly pushing and encouraging each other to keep going and get better. KLS has played 39 or 40 minutes over the last 3 games. Kia has played 38 to 40 over the last 4, if I remember correctly. The fact that they're still standing after this is a feat in itself. Overall, it wasn't the prettiest game, but I can't help but be pleased and impressed every time this team takes the court just because they're... the embodiment of 'fighters' this season.

I wish Chong the best recovery! She's definitely missed, and I can't wait to see her back around. I would say that things are definitely smoother when she's in the game. But alas, I'd rather her be completely healthy than rushing to get back. Their health and well being - mental and physical - is more important than the game.

I don't doubt your observations for a moment, since you were there. Some things don't come across on TV. Geno mentioned (during his post game presser) that the girls were sucking air in the 4th quarter. The team just came off of a 7 day break for finals. After the Nebraska game Wednesday, they have another 7 day break for Christmas. That's a lot of time off.

Hopefully this next 7 day break will allow them to rest up, heal up and relax mentally (they get to go home for 3-4 days), and get completely away from basketball for awhile. That road trip to play Maryland upon their will be no picnic. Maryland has had THIS game circled on their calendar since the schedules were announced. THIS will be their biggest home game of the year. Very few students will be there though because it's during their holiday break. They're not coming back early just to boo, hoorah and "cat-call" UConn. The one thing we know for sure, as always, Geno will have them ready to play.

Reaction Score

Stewart took the same pounding. I don't remember her being taken out of big games for such concerns. That's how she got tougher. She got her rest against weaker opponents as most likely the current starters will get their rest also.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm a little confused here. Geno says his team need to get it's collective ass beat, and soon and we all nod our heads in agreement. Has a certain coach-y logic to it. Yet earlier today we hear that his dazzling freshmen (and I know you all remember the praise heaped onto them by no less than Geno himself) can't play until he has absolute trust in them - which sounds a whole lot like someone who is more interested in the win column than not. Something isn't in alignment here. I hear about how these games don't matter until tournament time rolls around.. but we can't risk resting the 'stars' because the rest of the team can't be trusted?
You are confused. Absolute trust is and has always been the standard for a UCONN player to get on the floor regardless of the size of the team. This is a binary calculation you are either trusted (playing) or not trusted (not playing). All players are conditioned to play beyond the required 40 minutes.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Stewart took the same pounding. I don't remember her being taken out of big games for such concerns. That's how she got tougher. She got her rest against weaker opponents as most likely the current starters will get their rest also.
How often did Stewie take that pounding for 35-40 minutes? How many games in a row? How often was Stewie taken off the the big 5 and placed on the smaller 4 or 3 while Dolson or Tuck took the big 5? Not an option for Geno this time around.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, we seldom disagree but here I say to-maa-to. This is an undersized team and the forwards are taking a terrific pounding underneath. If this was a bigger team I'd perhaps say okay, but not when these ladies are giving up 20-40 pounds night in and night out. Yeah, injuries are random given equal circumstances. Here, I don't see those circumstances as equal.
Yet the two players that have been injured this year and missed games due to concussions are both Guards. Sounds pretty random to me.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Yet the two players that have been injured this year and missed games due to concussions are both Guards. Sounds pretty random to me.
Yep, random injuries also occur.

Reaction Score
And this sounds like someone watching someone taking a pounding. About half the posts in here on the subject of what disasters lurk around the corner revolve around injuries. As for the "randomness" of it, again, easily said when it's not your body in the process of being broken while playing a game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OSU has to be the most undisciplined, unfocused, poorly coached team that is somehow in the top 15 that I've seen in a long time. I'd have to say the highlight of their half baked AAU offense came with them down 18 with a few minutes left when 4 players stood around and watched their superstar dribble about 20 feet with her head down and forearm out and run over her defender. A lot of talent being wasted out there.
I beg to differ the offense that Mitchell ran in AAU was much better than the offense that Kevin rolled out tonight. For one thing Kelsey in AAU did occasionally pass the ball. See the video. Smartest person in the world was her AAU teammate Westbeld who decided to go to ND instead of joining the circus at tOSU.

JordyG

Reaction Score
You are confused. Absolute trust is and has always been the standard for a UCONN player to get on the floor regardless of the size of the team. This is a binary calculation you are either trusted (playing) or not trusted (not playing). All players are conditioned to play beyond the required 40 minutes.
This is kind of a specious argument. Yes, players practice to play 40 minutes. But how many athletes across basketball, men or women average 35-40 for a full season? How many of those day in and day out have had to take that kind of pounding? Allen Iverson, and undersized guard certainly is an exception at his position, but even he never averaged 35-40. Yeah, we're talking about an 80 game season. But we're also talking about a grown man taking that pounding verses young women who are still developing. Look, no need to belabor this. I'll admit I may be wrong, but I honestly don't think so.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And this sounds like someone watching someone taking a pounding. About half the posts in here on the subject of what disasters lurk around the corner revolve around injuries. As for the "randomness" of it, again, easily said when it's not your body in the process of being broken while playing a game.
I not sure what my broken down body has to do with this. :D Disasters always lurk around the corner depending on what neighborhood you live in. Head bang

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is kind of a specious argument. Yes, players practice to play 40 minutes. But how many athletes across basketball, men or women average 35-40 for a full season? How many of those day in and day out have had to take that kind of pounding? Allen Iverson, and undersized guard certainly is an exception at his position, but even he never averaged 35-40. Yeah, we're talking about an 80 game season. But we're also talking about a grown man taking that pounding verses young women who are still developing. Look, no need to belabor this. I'll admit I may be wrong, but I honestly don't think so.
We are only 10 games into the season, so far we only have 1 player (Kia) averaging more than 35 minutes per game - stop exaggerating.

Reaction Score
How often did Stewie take that pounding for 35-40 minutes? How many games in a row? How often was Stewie taken off the the big 5 and placed on the smaller 4 or 3 while Dolson or Tuck took the big 5? Not an option for Geno this time around.
You're so right. Stewart wasn't playing anywhere near the minutes that this team's starters are. How many games have they play in excess of 35 minutes already? No comparisons.

Reaction Score
I'm a worrier by nature, so no surprise that I'd say this. I agree with those who think these young women cannot play 35 minutes a game, day in and day out. Yes, the Chong problem is causing some of it, but even with her, it's still not a deep rotation at all. I'd feel better if one of the other freshmen (besides Crystal, I mean) could play some minutes here and there. Not likely to happen, but still....

I disagree with the BYer above who suggested the team is "scary good." Last year's team was scary good. This year's is better than most of us thought it would be, granted, but is seriously flawed by a lack of depth and somewhat flawed by a lack of first-team height. Most nights those things won't matter, but let's see how they do against Maryland and later, SC, as well as (as one BYer above mentioned) South Florida. I worry about the conference tournament and especially the Big Dance. Will they have enough left in the tank to carry them through? Sure hope so.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It is. Unfortunately.... she does not stand out in the one category that most people relate to which is scoring. Gabby is leading the #1 team in the country in Rebounds, Steals & assist. The rebounds and steals will get her DPOY consideration but not likely to get her AA consideration. On the other hand if KLS and Napheesa finish the season averaging 20PPG, they will be virtual locks for AA honors.
But Gabby has got to stop forcing so many passes. Otherwise, her game is top notch and every once in a while she will have big scoring games. The position she plays sometimes hinders her scoring a lot.

Reaction Score
We are only 10 games into the season, so far we only have 1 player (Kia) averaging more than 35 minutes per game - stop exaggerating.
If the others aren't averaging 35 points, they're pretty close. Are you suggesting that there's no problem with this group playing the minutes they are???? If so, count yourself as in a very miniscule minority!

Reaction Score
That will happen. Just because Geno may not be able to trust Molly against ranked teams doesn't mean he can't trust her against East Carolina. There's a plan.
I can tell you that there's no way that the starters are going to be taken out having played 20 minutes and let the bunch take over. That wasn't the case last year or the year before or the year before. I'm hopeful that their minutes can be cut to 25 minutes or so and that'll be more than good enough. I would love to see their minutes capped at a maximum of 30 minutes except for maybe a handful of games that may require our starters to stay in longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom