Ohio St up on Iowa by 8 (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ohio St up on Iowa by 8 (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ok, I'm watching a replay of the game now and while the reffing appears to be pretty reasonable, in the final minute of the 1st quarter I saw a ridiculous touch foul out near the logo called against Caitlin's defender. It's just one call, but there's no way that gets called if it's not Caitlin -- not even Paige. Sorry, @The deacon. It's not like these calls happen all the time. But even just a few of them can "set a tone" for a game that becomes an unfair advantage. I'll be watching to see if this continues or is isolated.
Enjoy the replay, Bone Dog. I know you will.:cool:

I'll help you;)... the most egregious of the refs' calls/non-calls came in the first half when Caitlin shoved the Ohio State defender right in front of the ref, with no call.

As I've said, she gets calls, as all great basketball players get (including Paige).

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
IIRC, Ohio State is the team that knocked UConn out in the sweet sixteen game last year. UConn could not handle their press. Ohio State looks better than last year. This game should really be some cause for concern for UConn fans.

Reaction Score
IIRC, Ohio State is the team that knocked UConn out in the sweet sixteen game last year. UConn could not handle their press. Ohio State looks better than last year. This game should really be some cause for concern for UConn fans.
Agreed, Alumniny69. The biggest differences are the portal addition of Celeste Taylor and the return from injury of all-Big Ten guard Jacy Sheldon, who made a world of big plays today.

Reaction Score
Enjoy the replay, Bone Dog. I know you will.:cool:

I'll help you;)... the most egregious of the refs' calls/non-calls came in the first half when Caitlin shoved the Ohio State defender right in front of the ref, with no call.

As I've said, she gets calls, as all great basketball players get (including Paige).
Love your post, except for the irrelevant and false parenthesis invoking the holy name of Paige. It's also worth distinguishing touch fouls called on the great player's defender and fouls the great player gets away with. I don't have an opinion on either of these in Caitlin's case, but I wouldn't be surprised if a close viewing doesn't reveal a few "gimme" calls on her defenders.

Reaction Score
Do you want fans to get excited about women's basketball or not? There have been court and field stormings for generations in the men's game and football. That one was very mild.
An SEC team in football will be fined $250,000 if the home team’s fans storm the field. 500,000 more if they do it a second time in a season.

I’m not sure if it’s the same in basketball but I think so. Too many injuries.

The ACC apparently allows it in football. Clemson fans enter the field after every game

sun

Reaction Score
IMO the video shows that Caitlin ran right into the fan.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Well it's tough to be too concerned since Ohio State isn't one our sched. first of all and secondly our press is a hell of a lot better than it was last year too with no Paige and no KK or Ash.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The game was won when the Ohio State starters all scored in double figures, while only three of Iowa starters were in double figures. In the overtime OSU was ahead 85-83 at the 3:23 mark when Hannah Stuelke committed her 5th foul, Iowa was outscored from that point on 15-9, that was the turning point. Both benches scored 12 points.

Reaction Score
I just saw the foul you mentioned. The ref wasn't in a perfect position to really see it, though it was really obvious to the camera. It came just before the end of the 1st half.

What happens to Caitlin's offensive game if she gets that 3rd foul in the 1st half or early in the 2nd? Paige is occasionally in this position this season because she's playing the 4 on defense and doing it with a ton of energy. If Caitlin gets that 3rd foul called -- as it often ought to be -- it won't affect her perimeter shooting. But it may limit her drives to the rim, since she typically looks to create contact.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I just saw the foul you mentioned. The ref wasn't in a perfect position to really see it, though it was really obvious to the camera. It came just before the end of the 1st half.

What happens to Caitlin's offensive game if she gets that 3rd foul in the 1st half or early in the 2nd? Paige is occasionally in this position this season because she's playing the 4 on defense and doing it with a ton of energy. If Caitlin gets that 3rd foul called -- as it often ought to be -- it won't affect her perimeter shooting. But it may limit her drives to the rim, since she typically looks to create contact.
She still gets the flop call like she did last year against UConn. I thought the refs were supposed to call those a team technical this season?

Reaction Score
UConn will be fine with there 4 guard lineup. Ohio State might need to be concerned with UConn’s guards.

Reaction Score
Just a stray observation -- that will include Paige to satisfy @The deacon.

I noticed Emma Shumate standing next to Caitlin in a courtside camera view and she looked to be 2" taller easy. Emma is listed as 6'1". Now both Caitlin and Paige received "promotions" to 6 feet last season and neither are entirely persuasive. They were each 5'11" as freshmen and I'd be really surprised if they grew another inch in their 20s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Now, at the 3 minute mark in the 4th, Caitlin does a beautiful no-look layup. Only problem is she double-dribbled on the way in. And the best part is the announcers try to make an excuse for it, saying she fumbled the ball. But that makes no difference. She dribbled with both hands before picking it up to shoot. But for that, tOSU wins in regulation,

Reaction Score
Now, at the 3 minute mark in the 4th, Caitlin does a beautiful no-look layup. Only problem is she double-dribbled on the way in. And the best part is the announcers try to make an excuse for it, saying she fumbled the ball. But that makes no difference. She dribbled with both hands before picking it up to shoot. But for that, tOSU wins in regulation,
Glad to know you're enjoying the replay, Bone Dog!:)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Maybe--this is by far the best Ohio State (and especially McMahon) has looked this year. It might propel them to fulfill the expectations many had for them at beginning of season.

No shame in losing to USC and UCLA (especially since they were the first team to have to deal with JuJu), but the Michigan loss was not great [though rivalry games can be weird]. McMahon had seemed to regress in her sophomore year, though you couldn't tell today.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I didn’t catch the game but a great win for Ohio State and it sounds like a great game overall. Not surprised by the result or that McMahon went off. Last year at an Iowa pep rally Clark specifically called out beating OSU and McMahon responded on social media so you know the Buckeyes would be fired up for this game. They’ve been somewhat underwhelming so far this year so winning today was a great statement win for them. Hope to see McMahon continue to light it up like she did today too.

Iowa is going to have a tough time winning games with Marshall shooting just 1-3 in games like this. Not surprised at a number of fans jumping at the opportunity to rip on Clark after this game (45 points/7 assists on efficient shooting going up against 2 of the best defenders in the country no less). And anybody that puts an ounce of blame on Clark for the fan collision is being ridiculous. She (any every other player) should be able to exit the floor safely after a game.

Reaction Score
The thing that stood out to me was that the fan didn’t even go check on the person she clearly knocked down! You would think if you ran into someone and knocked them down, possibly injured them, you would at least go and express some concern, perhaps apologize? It’s a brutal world now! She clearly saw that she had knocked someone down and that the person was in some pain yet turned and ran away immediately! Pretty sad.

Reaction Score
Maybe--this is by far the best Ohio State (and especially McMahon) has looked this year. It might propel them to fulfill the expectations many had for them at beginning of season.

No shame in losing to USC and UCLA (especially since they were the first team to have to deal with JuJu), but the Michigan loss was not great [though rivalry games can be weird]. McMahon had seemed to regress in her sophomore year, though you couldn't tell today.
Ohio State is has been playing decent. McMahon has been hit or miss, especially in that Michigan game. However, over the last 3-5 games, McMahon is starting to get back to her freshmen intensity level of play. Great win for Ohio State. Iowa still the frontrunner of the conference but as expected, Indiana and Ohio State are right on their heels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom