Ohio St Gordon Gee B1G still in expansion mode | The Boneyard

Ohio St Gordon Gee B1G still in expansion mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Outlook looks good for another ACC raid by B1G. No UConn or northeast mention. Credible sources:
Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN)
1/25/13, 11:58 AM
After Md./RU joined B1G, Ohio St. Prez Gordon Gee said Dec. 5 B1G expansion talks "ongoing" @brdispatch reports

Bill Rabinowitz (@brdispatch)
1/25/13, 11:30 AM
Gee told council member expansion targets could be farther south in the East or in Midwest. Didn't specify.

Reaction Score
Since no one can touch the PAC-12 (geography) or SEC, to me it seems like mentioning 3 superconferences is a direct slam at the Big 12.

It seems he wants to portray the Big 12 as unstable. He has a point, given the recent history. However, it makes me wonder if some ACC schools might actually be choosing the Big 12 over the Big 10, given more of them would be able to stay together. If the Big 10 wants to move south for population reasons, well, Texas all ready is in the south and has a rapidly growing population.

U

UConn9604

More about this:

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/con...-council-big-ten-expansion-talks-ongoing.html

Gee said “there has been ongoing discussion” about expansion and “believes there is movement towards three or four super conferences that are made up of 16-20 teams.”

I am hoping that the Dispatch reporter improperly punctuated his quotes of Gee. I think his comments should look like this:

When a student member of the Athletic Council asked Gee what direction the Big Ten might take, Gee said “there are opportunities to move further South, in the East and possibly a couple of Midwest universities.”

Reaction Score
What would be great for us would be for the SEC and Big 12 to be the first choice of ACC schools because it would increase the chance we would go to the Big 10.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
And it's not just Ohio State's Gee... Michigan State's AD Mark Hollis, Michigan AD Dave Brandon, and Wisconsin's AD Barry Alvarez ALL also mentioned further expansion (going to 16 to 20 schols) after adding Rutgers/Maryland. They are all on the same page... the sh * t is about to go down soon, especially with the Big 12 meetings next week and Bowlsby's comments. The ACC is going to get picked over. I just hope we have a seat at the table.

Maybe we can be the PAC-12's East Coast affiliate -- where are they going to expand if the Big 12 remains in-tact?

Reaction Score
I don't think there is any doubt that the Big would love to get Texas. But Texas is a drama queen who also wants to bring her ugly friends along. And the Big really doesn't want either the drama or the friends. My guess is they are trying to figure out how to get Texas without all associated hogwash. At some point they might just give up and move on, but for the moment they are still interested. Also seems to me that it is probably in the B-12's interest to give serious thought to expansion for exactly the issue that the Big East faced so many times. While in theory there are always teams out there you can land, in practice they are not going to be seen as a step down. If you add them now, they are part of the league. You lose 2 teams in 2017, they have been B-12 members, are accepted as such. That was always my argument for why the Big East should have added a couple of teams, Temple, Central Florida we're my thoughts. We would now have two more BCS programs in the league.

Reaction Score
And it's not just Ohio State's Gee... Michigan State's AD Mark Hollis, Michigan AD Dave Brandon, and Wisconsin's AD Barry Alvarez ALL also mentioned further expansion (going to 16 to 20 schols) after adding Rutgers/Maryland. They are all on the same page... the sh * t is about to go down soon, especially with the Big 12 meetings next week and Bowlsby's comments. The ACC is going to get picked over. I just hope we have a seat at the table.

Maybe we can be the PAC-12's East Coast affiliate -- where are they going to expand if the Big 12 remains in-tact?

That would be great. One thing that worries me about this idea is whether or not the PAC-12 would really be happy taking the 4 east coast teams that no one else wanted. Because you'd have to think the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 are going to get the top picks. It might work if Notre Dame was one of them, which I guess could happen because of the USC rivalry.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The fact that Gee didn't make his statements in a public forum makes me think that he wasn't trying to 'slam' the Big 12 or anything else.

At this point, I think either nothing happens or, ultimately, all hell breaks loose.

I still can't believe that no matter what happens, a school like Utah is safe and sound while we're likely dead in the water.

Reaction Score

We can be to the Pac12 what UMass is to the MAC - the eastern outpost.

Reaction Score
If they go to 4 20-team conferences, we won't be left out. I am not surprised at going to 20. Knew that could happen. Makes perfect sense for a playoff set-up.

Reaction Score
Again - I hate this stuff.

I think there are 75 schools making the investment & they have great growth prospects. Guys like Gee & Neinas & the FSU turd want to take it to 45. Why? Freaking ego - I don't think there is a cap on the money that could flow. So, fitting Kansas & Utah into this bastardized cartel is insulting. There needs to be a Commissioner with power. Or a Senate sub-committee.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I think Gee is saying that the Big12 will be raided when he says mid-west additions (I know the primary target is Notre Dame) and that there may be 3 (or 4) super-conferences of 20 teams. I'm thinking (since the B1G and PAC-12 have a long-standing relationship) that he's thinking the Big 12 will get picked over by PAC-12 as well.

And who's to say that the SEC is safe and Missouri wouldn't be interested in a B1G invite if it finally came? (To be honest, I think that's their only weak spot though since Missouri covets the B1G academics.)

B1G might add Missouri, Virginia, UNC, GA Tech, maybe BC and with the hopes of finally landing Notre Dame. Of course, if they can get Texas and just Texas, then they will add them in place of any of those schools except for ND.

I just think we're going to end up with the ACC leftovers... unless the PAC-12, SEC, and B1G destroy the Big 12 first... then maybe the ACC might be slightly diminished but still a good home.

A lot of shifting still to come over the next few years...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If they go to 4 20-team conferences, we won't be left out. I am not surprised at going to 20. Knew that could happen. Makes perfect sense for a playoff set-up.

Yes, 4 at 20 or 5 at 16 would work. 4 at 16 would never work as it leaves too many schools on the sidelines.

The Pac will never have a presence on the east. If 20 is the new 16, they have room for four schools. If they come from any existing conferences they will be the MWC or B12. Nobody else.

The real question is whether the ACC or Big 12 survives. Logically, if the Pac and UT got back together, they could add UT, TT, Baylor and TCU and put them in a group with UA and ASU. The B12 could add KU, KSU, OU and OSU . That would leave UConn and Cinci for the ACC.

If the ACC is raided, everything changes, and the B12 becomes a mish-mashed conference plucking teams all over the place.

Reaction Score
The fact that Gee didn't make his statements in a public forum makes me think that he wasn't trying to 'slam' the Big 12 or anything else.

At this point, I think either nothing happens or, ultimately, all hell breaks loose.

I still can't believe that no matter what happens, a school like Utah is safe and sound while we're likely dead in the water.

Yeah, you're right. These were not public comments.

Reaction Score
So at what point is this going to get really crazy, with conferences booting out dead weight like WSU, Wake Forest, Boston College etc. in order to make room for bigger programs.

I think the B1G and the Big 12 are fixing to go to war. The ACC will end up being the bill payer.

Reaction Score
So at what point is this going to get really crazy, with conferences booting out dead weight like WSU, Wake Forest, Boston College etc. in order to make room for bigger programs.

I think the B1G and the Big 12 are fixing to go to war. The ACC will end up being the bill payer.
WSU, Purdue, etc, are safe. Unless they get booted.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
I am hoping that the Dispatch reporter improperly punctuated his quotes of Gee. I think his comments should look like this:

When a student member of the Athletic Council asked Gee what direction the Big Ten might take, Gee said “there are opportunities to move further South, in the East and possibly a couple of Midwest universities.”

There may actually be something to this. The "E" from "East" was left out of the original quote in the Dispatch article, so who knows what Gee said or more importantly meant or desires.

But if not, we're going to need the brigade led by RegisteredUconn to pretty quickly educate Gee and his frat brothers as to why B1G expansion into the Southeast doesn't make sense....

Reaction Score
Since no one can touch the PAC-12 (geography) or SEC, to me it seems like mentioning 3 superconferences is a direct slam at the Big 12.

It seems he wants to portray the Big 12 as unstable. He has a point, given the recent history. However, it makes me wonder if some ACC schools might actually be choosing the Big 12 over the Big 10, given more of them would be able to stay together. If the Big 10 wants to move south for population reasons, well, Texas all ready is in the south and has a rapidly growing population.

I can't think of one ACC school that would choose the Big 12 over the Big 10. The only school on the planet that seems to make that choice is Texas.

Reaction Score
I can't think of one ACC school that would choose the Big 12 over the Big 10. The only school on the planet that seems to make that choice is Texas.

Texas wants to dominate whatever conference it is in politically. In the B1G they have to compete with Ohio State and Michigan.

Reaction Score
Texas wants to dominate whatever conference it is in politically. In the B1G they would be subservient to Ohio State and Michigan.
I think that is a more accurate way to put it.

Reaction Score
I think that is a more accurate way to put it.

Texas wouldn't be subservient. They would perpetually be at odds with those schools. I can't imagine Texas accepting subservience to any school. That was one reason why Nebraska left. They got sick of putting up with Texas.

Reaction Score
Texas isn't going anywhere. The B12 will expand, the question is, who will they get? They may have to settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom