Ogunbowale’s Personal Foul | The Boneyard

Ogunbowale’s Personal Foul

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last night it kinda got lost in the shufffle, but she really had to work at that to get that call with 1:43 to play. I was proud of just how composed Crystal stayed. For those who did not see it, let Jeff Jacob's describe it: "As Notre Dame took off on transition offense, she got an unsportsmanlike foul for wrapping her arm around Crystal Dangerfield’s head from behind with 1:43 left. " Jeff left off the English applied by Arike in an effort to send Crystal (or her head) spinning : total BS and worse, totally dangerous.

I missed last night the ref during the time out called both coaches over and she mimed Arike's attempted yank or spin move. Of course the announcers turned into church mice. Why it was not a flagrant is beyond me since it was purely gratuitous.

Reaction Score
Really uncalled for. And, as said above, potentially dangerous. And she is a senior. She should know better. I expect she feels bad now about losing her cool.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Let's face it - the wheels just came off the (formerly) #1 team.

Reaction Score
Arike was the worst player on the court yesterday by many measures. Jacking up 3's when ND wanted the ball to go into the post, horrible man defense on whomever she was supposed to be guarding, and, playing like a street brawler on the basketball court.

Reaction Score
From AP,

AURIEMMA VS. ARIKE
Auriemma and Ogunbowale had different explanations for the technical foul called against the Irish All-American in the fourth quarter with 4:23 remaining and the Irish trailing 77-66.
“Not necessarily,” Auriemma said when asked if he and the Irish player were exchanging words. “I was just making comments about stuff going on out on the floor. I was talking to the officials. And she gave me one of those and I asked, ‘What is that?’ And the next thing I know it’s a technical foul.”
Ogunbowale saw things differently.
“I think we fed right into what they wanted - he baited a lot of us and we lost our poise like she (McGraw) said,” Ogunbowale said. “As seniors and leaders on this team, we can’t let that happen. That definitely was a momentum change.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.67e571721c87

Reaction Score
It is too bad that Arike resorted to some very questionable tactics. She is a very talented player who has already achieved fame from her two clutch shots last year. She should not taint her reputation with unsportsmanlike behavior.
I appreciate toughness. Some of the physical play I accept as heat of the moment. The comment that got her a T was dumb, but not criminal. (How many Ts does DT get for her mouth?) But she should have simply owned up to saying something she shouldnt and left it at that. That swing at Dangerfield was uncalled for, immature, and dangerous. And there were a couple of other incidents which were, IMO, well beyond "tough play". Maybe the talk of this game will make the refs more alert to this.

Reaction Score
It is too bad that Arike resorted to some very questionable tactics. She is a very talented player who has already achieved fame from her two clutch shots last year. She should not taint her reputation with unsportsmanlike behavior.

Arike will up her game, I am guessing. She does have talent, that girl.

Reaction Score
I think it was a flagrant... we got two free throws and then the ball. Just not a technical. That's what I was told in the closed thread.

But no, I don't entirely understand the difference between a technical and a flagrant. I never really cared before since it usually results in the same thing - free throws. Does anyone care to enlighten about the actual rules? Is a technical purely intentional? I know flagrant is above shoulders, even if not intended. So when is it considered technical?

Reaction Score
From AP,

AURIEMMA VS. ARIKE
Auriemma and Ogunbowale had different explanations for the technical foul called against the Irish All-American in the fourth quarter with 4:23 remaining and the Irish trailing 77-66.
“Not necessarily,” Auriemma said when asked if he and the Irish player were exchanging words. “I was just making comments about stuff going on out on the floor. I was talking to the officials. And she gave me one of those and I asked, ‘What is that?’ And the next thing I know it’s a technical foul.”
Ogunbowale saw things differently.
“I think we fed right into what they wanted - he baited a lot of us and we lost our poise like she (McGraw) said,” Ogunbowale said. “As seniors and leaders on this team, we can’t let that happen. That definitely was a momentum change.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.67e571721c87

By admitting fault she also tried to blame Auriemma. Again, what she did to CD was the flagrant part. Her actions do not set a good role model for young woman and basketball players in general. I hope she can learn from it, but really should be punished, because she's lucky nothing bad happened to CD.

Reaction Score
Arike will up her game, I am guessing. She does have talent, that girl.

Everyone has the ability to up their game when it comes to avoiding dirty plays. The issue being discussed is not her jump shot, but her apparent intent to injure an opposing player due to her frustration, not once, not twice, but at least three times. That goes beyond simply being bad judgement.

Reaction Score
I thought the more flagrant cheap shot took place a few minutes before the technical when it appeared that Ogunbowale clothes lined and slew footed Dangerfield knocking her hard to the floor. Obviously the refs missed the incident, but I'm sure the UConn bench didn't. Kudos to Crystal for keeping her cool and not responding.

Reaction Score
I appreciate toughness. Some of the physical play I accept as heat of the moment. The comment that got her a T was dumb, but not criminal. (How many Ts does DT get for her mouth?) But she should have simply owned up to saying something she shouldnt and left it at that. That swing at Dangerfield was uncalled for, immature, and dangerous. And there were a couple of other incidents which were, IMO, well beyond "tough play". Maybe the talk of this game will make the refs more alert to this.
There was a far more flagrant " unnecessary roughness" foul , committed by ND, which was not called. It was just at the mid-court line when someone blasted into Dangerfield ( like a clear hip check ) and sent her sprawling. There was a ref looking right at it ( or so it appeared ) from the sideline area...and she let the play continue. That was at least as unsportsmanlike as the " head -wrap," and should have resulted in an ejection. I can go back on the tape and see if it was the same offender. ( See Shaboo comment, above.).

Reaction Score
I thought the more flagrant cheap shot took place a few minutes before the technical when it appeared that Ogunbowale clothes lined and slew footed Dangerfield knocking her hard to the floor. Obviously the refs missed the incident, but I'm sure the UConn bench didn't. Kudos to Crystal for keeping her cool and not responding.
Are you really a Shaboo All Star?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It was just at the mid-court line when someone blasted into Dangerfield ( like a clear hip check ) and sent her sprawling.

That was Arike; henceforth #24. She was head hunting clearly.

Reaction Score
I think it was a flagrant... we got two free throws and then the ball. Just not a technical. That's what I was told in the closed thread.

But no, I don't entirely understand the difference between a technical and a flagrant. I never really cared before since it usually results in the same thing - free throws. Does anyone care to enlighten about the actual rules? Is a technical purely intentional? I know flagrant is above shoulders, even if not intended. So when is it considered technical?
So not going in to much detail.
Technical foul is usually for something that is said by player or coach. It does count as a personal foul for the player.
Flagrant foul is to a player for something physical. Usually like elbow to head area.

Reaction Score

that mugging you mentioned was perfectly clear on TV.......................it was far more dangerous as CD tumbled down in a heap after being purposely tripped up..................amazed she didn't get T'd up for that one..............Crystal just got up and kept on playing leading to the next incident..............Geno was well within his rights to make a comment about such dangerous play.............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Dee Kantner (sp) was looking at the play but did not choose to call a foul and it was very obvious what Ogunbowale did. Walker's reaction said it all.

Reaction Score
Kantner was in position and swallowed her whistle. Again.

Reaction Score
that mugging you mentioned was perfectly clear on TV........it was far more dangerous as CD tumbled down in a heap after being purposely tripped up...amazed she didn't get T'd up for that one....Crystal just got up and kept on playing leading to the next incident....Geno was well within his rights to make a comment about such dangerous play...

That was the big one for me...It was literally a takedown (kick out the leg and elbow from above.

Reaction Score
I'm proud of our lady huskies. They represented themselves well and by be classy to the very end showed just how bad those acts were by Arike.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Dee Kantner (sp) was looking at the play but did not choose to call a foul and it was very obvious what Ogunbowale did. Walker's reaction said it all.
Kantner was in position and swallowed her whistle. Again.

I am not as sure that Kantner was in a good position. From where she was CD was directly between Dee and Arike. Most of the closing movement of Arike towards Dangerfield would have been tough to see from that side of the court. The ref on the camera side however had a clear view she appears to be loking further up the court.

Refs make mistakes all the time because it's a very difficult job to see everything on the court in real time and make snap judgements but, I really don't subscribe to the view that they are making concious biased decisions on the calls.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am not as sure that Kantner was in a good position. From where she was CD was directly between Dee and Arike. Most of the closing movement of Arike towards Dangerfield would have been tough to see from that side of the court. The ref on the camera side however had a clear view but of course we don't know where she was looking at that moment running down the court.

Refs make mistakes all the time because it's a very difficult job to see everything on the court in real time and make snap judgements but, I really don't subscribe to the view that they are making concious biased decisions on the calls.

Bad link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown