Officiating | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Officiating

Reaction Score
It was atrocious…yesterday against MSU cost us that game (we didn’t help ourselves but still had the lead with 30 seconds left when that call was made against Cole). Never thought I’d miss Tim Higgins until these last 3 days.
Tim Higgins was one of the best. Did our game on 3/29/99 and did not give in to the usual Duke flop act. That was a tremendously refereed game.

Reaction Score
Was the Sanogo shot clock violation against MSU really because they started the shot clock on UConn at 20 instead of 30? I saw mention of it somewhere, but can't find a clip to check it. If so.. that was a killer because the buzzer went off as he made his pivot and laid it in. I think we still would have had a lead after RJ's 5th foul at that point too.
I can't take a screenshot from the ESPN app, they black out the screen when you do. But yes the shot clock reset to 20 before that possession

Reaction Score
Let's talk about lousy refs.

Jim Burr. One of the all-time greats at sucking.

1637982073664.jpeg

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I thought the other 2 refs weren't terrible. I expect a few bad calls per game from each ref. But Lucky had at least 10 bad calls that game. I mean... just not even close to correct. He's old... needs to retire.

The modern day version of John Cahill? A documented and undeniable hater. Jimmy owned penthouse in his head

Reaction Score
The one the crew should be held accountable was the call on the out of bounds supposedly off of RJs knee in the MSU game. The fact you get to review and see you’re crew buddy blew it but you stick up for the call should be a reason to suspend or fine a crew. Absolutely unacceptable.

willie99

Reaction Score
It is traveling when a player possessing the ball falls to the floor without maintaining a pivot foot

If he's not possessing the ball, then you cannot call time out.

Can't have it both ways
------------

Also, a player who falls to the floor while possessing the ball may not gain an advantage by sliding. It's not rocket science, we've all seen that traveling called hundreds of times.

Again, it's either a travel or no timeout can be awarded.

Last edited:

willie99

Reaction Score
The one the crew should be held accountable was the call on the out of bounds supposedly off of RJs knee in the MSU game. The fact you get to review and see you’re crew buddy blew it but you stick up for the call should be a reason to suspend or fine a crew. Absolutely unacceptable.

So so so many bad calls down the stretch. There should be consequences for such incompetence

Reaction Score
On the flipside -how about the call that went in our favor when they said the Auburn guy fouled polley on a three point shot right before halftime Wednesday? that was bad too —but the killer of all killers was the Call on cole in the MSU game. Brutal officiating all tourney.

Reaction Score
It's not a travel unless they try to get up or roll over, assuming they are sliding only on their momentum from grabbing the loose ball.
Which they did, every single time

Reaction Score
For the former/current officials on the Yard -- After watching UConn's approach to breaking the press -Starting with the ball exchange between ref and in-bounds passer after a made FT or basket-- I have a question for you- Who has the responsibility to retrieve the ball to start the inbounds play? Does the player always have to wait for the ref to retrieve the ball and hand it off(or pass it) to the player to initiate play? Or can the player retrieve the ball(after made basket) and quickly pass up court without the refs involvement? Or must the ref always touch the ball irrespective of who has retrieved it prior to initiating play?

I bring this up for this reason. It seemed like our approach in Atlantis was not to retrieve ball and initiate our inbounds play but rather to wait for the ref to hand off the ball (and allowing defenses to get into their pressing positions). It seemed like a lot of time lapsed before our player had the ball in their hands in many cases.

As some poster mentioned. The JC teams would often use a made basket as the beginning of a fast break opportunity up court.

Also curious about running the baseline on inbounds play. Any restrictions on that? Thanks for clarification.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the former/current officials on the Yard -- After watching UConn's approach to breaking the press -Starting with the ball exchange between ref and in-bounds passer after a made FT or basket-- I have a question for you- Who has the responsibility to retrieve the ball to start the inbounds play? Does the player always have to wait for the ref to retrieve the ball and hand it off(or pass it) to the player to initiate play? Or can the player retrieve the ball(after made basket) and quickly pass up court without the refs involvement? Or must the ref always touch the ball irrespective of who has retrieved it prior to initiating play?

I bring this up for this reason. It seemed like our approach in Atlantis was not to retrieve ball and initiate our inbounds play but rather to wait for the ref to hand off the ball (and allowing defenses to get into their pressing positions). It seemed like a lot of time lapsed before our player had the ball in their hands in many cases.

As some poster mentioned. The JC teams would often use a made basket as the beginning of a fast break opportunity up court.

Also curious about running the baseline on inbounds play. Any restrictions on that? Thanks for clarification.
No the players can pick up the ball and don't need to wait for the ref to pick it up. But as soon as the player picks up the ball the 5 seconds start, so a lot of the time they'll wait for the ref to get the ball to give the other 4 players time to set up and run the inbounds play.

You can run the baseline after a made basket, just not after a deflection out of bounds or other things like that.

Reaction Score
No the players can pick up the ball and don't need to wait for the ref to pick it up. But as soon as the player picks up the ball the 5 seconds start, so a lot of the time they'll wait for the ref to get the ball to give the other 4 players time to set up and run the inbounds play.

You can run the baseline after a made basket, just not after a deflection out of bounds or other things like that.
Thank you. Clears a few things up

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So so so many bad calls down the stretch. There should be consequences for such incompetence
Yes there were two calls and one non call on three straight possessions and they were all consequential.

1. Sanogo is called for a very ticky tack over the back on a missed FT. Walk the floor with no time elapsing and give MSU 2 free ones.
  2. Martin was shoved out of bounds on his offensive rebound. He literally had a defender with two hands on his back extending his arms and they called Martin OB.
  3. The “shameful” foul out call on RJ.

Reaction Score
Yes there were two calls and one non call on three straight possessions and they were all consequential.

1. Sanogo is called for a very ticky tack over the back on a missed FT. Walk the floor with no time elapsing and give MSU 2 free ones.
  2. Martin was shoved out of bounds on his offensive rebound. He literally had a defender with two hands on his back extending his arms and they called Martin OB.
And a few plays before these was RJs I think 4th where he was called for pushing a player, who he was behind. He was behind the guy and the guy fell out of bounds, RJ got a foul for using the force to pull a guy toward him without contact. can’t imagine how angry he was watching the end of that game, no excuse for such awful officiating

Reaction Score

Yeah Oka good call on 2 that was a big miss on Martin. He had position for that rebound and was pushed OOBs most definitely. Big miss and I couldn’t believe they just called him OOBs :eek:

Reaction Score
I also found it comical that all they had for the refs to look at a replay was a 17” low-res monitor.

You can buy a big 30”+ monitor nowadays for about $159.
That’s high tech in the Bahamas

Reaction Score

What I hated so much about that non call when Reese was pushed out of bounds was that they were calling literally everything else and there were much softer pushes they called right before, and then they decided to just hold their whistle on that crucial moment. It made no sense. No consistency

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not goaltending, basket interference. If interested in the distinction, please ask.
The ball was outside the cylinder and below the rim so it was neither.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom