Officiating | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Officiating

Reaction Score
If a player slides across the floor on his behind while holding the ball, that’s a travel from 3rd grade rec basketball to the NBA. Basic call
Wrong, wrong, wrong. As a former official, let me assure you that SLIDING on the floor with possession of the ball is NOT a violation. It is perhaps the single greatest misconception by armchair refs. ROLLING OVER while possessing the ball IS a violation.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Wrong, wrong, wrong. As a former official, let me assure you that SLIDING on the floor with possession of the ball is NOT a violation. It is perhaps the single greatest misconception by armchair refs. ROLLING OVER while possessing the ball IS a violation.
True story. The other guy corrected me but your right also. I just refused to delete my original post because it’s a teaching moment. After all that, the VCU kid still traveled on the Middletown, CT television I was watching with blue colored goggles

Reaction Score
RJ’s travel call when he jumped and dribbled before his feet hit the ground.

Reaction Score
What about calling a timeout while sliding?

Reaction Score
Maybe I'm nitpicking, but on the breakaway for Whaley at the end of OT, shouldn't they have called an intentional foul because the defender shoved him when he was in the air. There was no play on the ball. Just curious.
I think they looked, it seemed like there was a quick delay. I'm assuming they didn't care since the game was over

Reaction Score
How about when the kid from VCU caught the ball out of bounds and the refs went over to the announcers and asked "what do you guys have?"
Because the announcing crew had (as was stated) a larger monitor, thus easier to view.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Dykes said it was a travel and he was informing the Refs on rules they were unaware of....so I'll go with Jimmy.
Why were the refs checking with the broadcaster? I saw that too.

Reaction Score
You cannot legally begin a dribble with both feet off the ground once a pivot foot is established. That is why RJs was a travel. Once he jumped off the ground with both feet he gave up his pivot and ability to start a dribble.
Wouldn’t it not be a travel unless his feet hit the ground and he still had the ball? You might be right about the rule but the rule doesn’t make sense to me.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t it not be a travel unless his feet hit the ground and he still had the ball? You might be right about the rule but the rule doesn’t make sense to me.
Once he put the ball down and attempted the dribble it became a traveling violation.

Reaction Score
You cannot legally begin a dribble with both feet off the ground once a pivot foot is established. That is why RJs was a travel. Once he jumped off the ground with both feet he gave up his pivot and ability to start a dribble.
Interesting. I didn't see the play but I am curious. I assume he had not yet dribbled. So once he establishes his pivot, he can jump and shoot or pass but not dribble. That doesn't make sense to me but I don't study the rule book.

Reaction Score
Another odd play was when Sanogo couldn’t decide to inbound the ball. He had one foot inbounds and one foot out of bounds and handed the ball to Polley I believe who was out of bounds. That is a violation.

Reaction Score
Another odd play was when Sanogo couldn’t decide to inbound the ball. He had one foot inbounds and one foot out of bounds and handed the ball to Polley I believe who was out of bounds. That is a violation.
If you inbounds the ball with one foot inbounds, that is a violation and a turnover. However, since Polley was out of bounds, the ball was never inbounded and therefore no violation occurred. How did I do?

Reaction Score
What about calling a timeout while sliding?
As long as the person sliding has "player control" (he did), time out may be called by that team (himself, his teammates on the floor, or the head coach).

Reaction Score
If you inbounds the ball with one foot inbounds, that is a violation and a turnover. However, since Polley was out of bounds, the ball was never inbounded and therefore no violation occurred. How did I do?
ah, also it was after a made basket so he could have legally passed to someone out of bounds

Reaction Score
The call when Polley made a bounce pass inbounding that bounced out of bounds is a call rarely made but the right call

Reaction Score
Why were the refs checking with the broadcaster? I saw that too.
Officials came over to the broadcaster table to announce the decision. The broadcaster told him it looks like the VCU player caught the ball out of bounds and was never in and clock shouldn't move. The ref asked do you guys have a better shot of the play? What do you have?

Reaction Score
Was the Sanogo shot clock violation against MSU really because they started the shot clock on UConn at 20 instead of 30? I saw mention of it somewhere, but can't find a clip to check it. If so.. that was a killer because the buzzer went off as he made his pivot and laid it in. I think we still would have had a lead after RJ's 5th foul at that point too.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
The amount of horrendous calls in both directions in all three games was insane. Depending on how many and which you corrected we could’ve gone 3-0 or 0-3.

The outcome of every game was decided by which team was going to get the bigger balance of the refs ineptitude. Ridiculous

Reaction Score
Jamie Lucky deserves prison for the amount of horrendous calls he made.
Maybe he is at the age when he is close to retirement and looking for his officials' pension (if they have one or if he thinks there is one).

He doesn't want to quit or be seen as a quitter, so with enough bad calls, maybe he gets fired and collects his pension? No willful misconduct to justify denying a pension. Maybe, that is his plan.

Just kidding, but sometimes when a course of action defies logic, it may be logical to the one acting a certain way.

I forgot his name, but there was one official Calhoun did not like and the feeling was mutual. I think he Tee'd up Calhoun many times. Like anything else in life, there are good and bad officials. Though today, I think he made bad calls both ways.

Will we be seeing him in any Big East games?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom