Officiating During Texas NC St Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Officiating During Texas NC St Game

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
OK just completed re-watching the replay of this game to verify that @southie said:
"Throughout the entire game, they called the charge/block call in favor of the defender just about every time. So, calling a block on Joyner in those final seconds would have been completely inconsistent with how they called charges throughout the game."
@southie is not correct: It was not "just about every time". It was everytime!
I do remember one block call against Higgs(?) on a drive and bucket by Spencer in the 4th quarter. It was an obvious block, but still that was one.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Went over to the NC State board and on twitter.. those refs might want to avoid getting anywhere near the Research Triangle area
I notice our NC State friend has not been commenting since late in the game. It's a tough, tough loss to swallow.:(

It seems like we've had more games than usual this year decided on questionable calls at the very end of the game. There was SC-Miss St, then SC-Tenn, then FGCU-Miami yesterday, now this one.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I notice our NC State friend has not been commenting since late in the game. It's a tough, tough loss to swallow.:(

It seems like we've had more games than usual this year decided on questionable calls at the very end of the game. There was SC-Miss St, then SC-Tenn, then FGCU-Miami yesterday, now this one.

I cant blame him...... If Duke lost a game like that..... you wouldnt hear from me for weeks....... :(

Reaction Score
I was once told that the ultimate compliment to a referee was not being noticed by the fans, who come to watch the players play. This board and a couple of others prove that when the refs are noticed, it's not a good thing.

The officiating was horrendous on both sides. It also messed with the flow of the game and otherwise took away from a very good game. Blown calls are a part of the game but it should NEVER decide one like it did today.

Reaction Score
Just keep them away from our game. Everyone was in foul trouble.

Trust me when I say this, this group of refs will be evaluated when the NCAA gets the game tape.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was once told that the ultimate compliment to a referee was not being noticed by the fans, who come to watch the players play. This board and a couple of others prove that when the refs are noticed, it's not a good thing.

The officiating was horrendous on both sides. It also messed with the flow of the game and otherwise took away from a very good game. Blown calls are a part of the game but it should NEVER decide one like it did today.
This board is definitely conflicted when it comes to referees and I am certain what ever call that ref made he would be criticized. In all my years of watching basketball I look for two things from a referee decisiveness and consistency from beginning of the game to the end. These refs were both. Invisibility (not being noticed) is an impossible standard. Serious question for those advocating a different call- have you ever been to a game where the refs did a good job?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The bad calls went both ways in this game. They went more against NC State in the final 2-3 minutes.

Not counting the intentional foul by Mathurin with 0:07 left, the last 5 minutes had 6 fouls on NC State, 4 fouls on Texas.

But we should remember the completely inexplicable flagrant foul call on Sutton earlier in the 4th quarter, and the terrible call on Atkins that fouled her out as well. I'm not saying that NC State didn't get the worst of it, but it was hardly one-sided.

With you on that point of view, but the calls against the Wolfpack seemed worse at times because of when they were called and/or the nature of the call. The one that stuck with me the most was an NC State player was called for a foul when she was boxing out a Texas player (I think it was Holmes) on a free throw. Instead of getting the ball, Texas went back to the line, hit one FT grabbed a long rebound and scored on that. Given how often Holmes...a very aggressive presence on the offensive boards, charges and "lingers" over defensive rebounders, I thought the call was unnecessary at best, a stretch at the least.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Trust me when I say this, this group of refs will be evaluated when the NCAA gets the game tape.
All NCAA tournament refs are evaluated to determine which ones will continue on to Regionals and FF & NC.

Reaction Score
Went over to the NC State board and on twitter.. those refs might want to avoid going anywhere near the Research Triangle area

LOL, the Research Triangle area is harmless. Try either downtown Durham, Cary or Raleigh. BTW, I ref rec ball (youth, HS) in these areas ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With you on that point of view, but the calls against the Wolfpack seemed worse at times because of when they were called and/or the nature of the call. The one that stuck with me the most was an NC State player was called for a foul when she was boxing out a Texas player (I think it was Holmes) on a free throw. Instead of getting the ball, Texas went back to the line, hit one FT grabbed a long rebound and scored on that. Given how often Holmes...a very aggressive presence on the offensive boards, charges and "lingers" over defensive rebounders, I thought the call was unnecessary at best, a stretch at the least.
But..... But... that long rebound had nothing to do with the call right? Unless you are saying that NC state was so paralyzed by the call that they forget to rebound?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
LOL, the Research Triangle area is harmless. Try either downtown Durham, Cary or Raleigh. BTW, I ref rec ball (youth, HS) in these areas ;)

Well I meant the entire Metro area....... guess I should have said Raleigh to be more clear.... but I figure there are some Wolfpack fans out in the suburbs and surrounding cities as well :p On the other hand..... the refs could go to Chapel Hill and get rewarded with keys to the town or steak dinners or something like that :mad:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is one of the things that I think happens better on the men's side (and isn't necessarily a function of officiating talent); in the end of a tight game, the official should err on the side of a no call, especially in an off ball situation.

Trust me, the late game officiating in close games on the men's side has been atrocious. The NCAA even had to publicly admit a blatant goaltending call was missed late in a very close Gonzaga - Northwestern game. The Gonzaga player stuck his arm and hand up through the rim from below to swat away a Northwestern shot. How do you not see that? Guess who won?

These zebras are dictating the outcome of games, and it invariably favors the higher seed.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Tina Napier is regarded as one of the premier WCBB refs, as she does many of the top games. I'm betting she will be there at the final four. I don't know who was making the calls, but the other two refs were Sue Blauch and Jules Gallien. I thought Gallien made some questionable calls. I think Tina is one of those refs who feels they have to call every foul. I didn't think all the calls were against N.C. State, but since Texas had the deeper bench, they benefited. Too many calls for a tournament game. That may be the only thing that stops UConn.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
This board is definitely conflicted when it comes to referees and I am certain what ever call that ref made he would be criticized. In all my years of watching basketball I look for two things from a referee decisiveness and consistency from beginning of the game to the end. These refs were both. Invisibility (not being noticed) is an impossible standard. Serious question for those advocating a different call- have you ever been to a game where the refs did a good job?

Hmmm. Lots of interesting points to ponder/react to here.

- They were decisive and perhaps you can make an argument that the calls were consistent from a point of view (in terms of contact), but I'm not so certain of that. Holmes seemed able to wander around the lane and extend herself over and around people on occasion, while others were called for trying to box out such efforts. Equal pressure each way would seem warranted.

- Have I ever been to a game where I was happy with the officiating? Are you speaking about any game? Or basketball? When I coached travel soccer I purposely got my refereeing license to I could lean the game from that angle. It taught me that refs were right even more than I thought and not to sweat the things that I can't control and/or won''t make a difference in most instances.

- In terms of hoops, I still play so I do look for consistency more than anything else. And, having said that, yeah...I've been to games where I have not noticed the refs. That's liking it. ;)

Plebe

Reaction Score

Those borderline rebounding-over-the-back calls are always tough. She's allowed to jump straight up and she's even allowed to extend her arms forward as long as she's not pushing into the back of her opponent or contacting the opponent's arms to get the ball. From that rear camera angle it was impossible to tell whether that should've been a foul or not.

The rebounding call that I thought was ridiculous came at the end of that crazy sequence where Atkins got a steal and layup, then McCarty stole the inbound and threw back to Atkins while flying out of bounds, and then Atkins missed the short jumper, which she then rebounded but got called for her 5th foul. To me it looked like either a no-call situation or if anything the defender jumped backward into Atkins as she rebounded.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Being 10 miles from College Park, I only saw the last six minutes or so of the TX-NCState game. Yes there were a lot of fouls called, but bodies were flying everywhere. As Coco said, the players had to adjust, but there were still a lot of collisions. I thought the charge was a good call. It was at some point this weekend when one announcer said with respect to a charge/block call, "If someone hits the deck, you HAVE to call a foul." And there's no doubt that Holmes had position. The call on Spencer was horrible; that was just a good acting job by McCarty. The tip that was eventually reversed in State's favor was less obvious than the one at the end of the Miami-Gulf Coast game.

So while I agree that the end-of-game officiating was awful, I don't think it affected the outcome as much as Miami-FGCU.

Reaction Score
How good were the NC state guards>
Both calls at the end were bogus

Plebe

Reaction Score
Being 10 miles from College Park, I only saw the last six minutes or so of the TX-NCState game. Yes there were a lot of fouls called, but bodies were flying everywhere. As Coco said, the players had to adjust, but there were still a lot of collisions. I thought the charge was a good call. It was at some point this weekend when one announcer said with respect to a charge/block call, "If someone hits the deck, you HAVE to call a foul." And there's no doubt that Holmes had position. The call on Spencer was horrible; that was just a good acting job by McCarty. The tip that was eventually reversed in State's favor was less obvious than the one at the end of the Miami-Gulf Coast game.

So while I agree that the end-of-game officiating was awful, I don't think it affected the outcome as much as Miami-FGCU.

I don't know who said that, but whoever it was, they are flat-out wrong. Referees are taught specifically that not every fall merits a call.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
But..... But... that long rebound had nothing to do with the call right? Unless you are saying that NC state was so paralyzed by the call that they forget to rebound?

I'm not saying they were paralyzed. The whole sequence took place because a ticky tack -- and totally incorrect call in my humble opinion -- was made on a standard rebound of the initial free throw I referenced. NC State should've been going the other way. Instead, they had to get back in the lane, watch a first free throw go in, then have the long rebound took place. As to why Texas got it, Holmes is active on the boards and she got to the right place at the right time. Fair enough. But the whole scenario never should've taken place. When I see mistaken or missed calls take place in pick-up games, I'm usually a happy guy when the subsequent plays don't result in points. Didn't happen here.

Reaction Score
27 fouls called against NC State; 25 against Texas. 29 free throws attempted by NC State. 23 free throws attempted by Texas.

But, don't let the facts get in the way of being a drama queen.
\

The facts are what the numbers don't show equity--it show numbers only. The equity was when and where actually BAD calls were made--don't ask me ask those who sat at court side and reported the game--and those doing the National color for all games---those last plays were, against NC state--were described as questionable--and not accurate. The total ref - ing in the game was suspect.
I actually like the Tx Longhorn team--like McCarty much--. My statement was about the refs---which did impact the Tx but the calls down the stretch were--to me biased. Fact---you apparently have --your own bias on facts.---
If you were insulted by my calling attention to bad ref-ing---get prepared to more insults---Yet you have no qualms about dispersing insults do you??

Reaction Score
I don't know who said that, but whoever it was, they are flat-out wrong. Referees are taught specifically that not every fall merits a call.
If every flop was a forced call---we'd still be watching the ACC tournament . Smart refs usually that's usually--know the difference in a flop and an assisted flop or a straight out charge/block--still the toughest call to make. The, ND rule (my term) that allows players to jump into defenders is wrong and offensive to fans.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Twice in the fourth quarter, NC State had the ball and missed a shot. Texas got the rebounds on the misses. NC State fouled the rebounder. Texas was in the bonus, and went to shoot free throws making all four, I believe. For a Texas team that was struggling to find any kind of offensive flow, NC State fouling Texas after their own missed shots was the worst thing they could have done as Texas was having trouble scoring baskets.

Here are the stats:

NC State vs Texas - DI Women's Basketball

NC State with 4 assists in the game.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
\

The facts are what the numbers don't show equity--it show numbers only. The equity was when and where actually BAD calls were made--don't ask me ask those who sat at court side and reported the game--and those doing the National color for all games---those last plays were, against NC state--were described as questionable--and not accurate. The total ref - ing in the game was suspect.
I actually like the Tx Longhorn team--like McCarty much--- My statement was about the refs---which did impact the Tx but the calls down the stretch were--to me biased. Fact---you apparently have --your own bias on facts.--
If you were insulted by my calling attention to bad ref-ing---get prepared to more insults---Yet you have no qualms about dispersing insults do you??
Well, you certainly had no problem stating that Texas owned these refs. Seriously?

The TV commentators also strongly disagreed with the flagrant foul called against Texas' Alecia Sutton. So, NC State made the two free throws. Sutton left the game with a leg injury (she had scored 10 points in the game). And, NC State also got possession of the ball and made a basket. That was a huge 4 points there. Gave NC State a 4 point lead with 6.5 minutes left in the game.

Reaction Score
Just like Miami game yesterday. We need alot more reviews and the coaches need to call for them. Yeah that means stop the game.
Just what I was thinking. This isn't the same crew that screwed FGCU, is it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom