Officially Official | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Officially Official

Reaction Score
If our administration couldn’t even have talked the Big East into waiving the entry fee then I feel like we might not have spent our due diligence setting up this move. UConn brings way more value to the Big East than the Big East brings to UConn (in my opinion). Big East should be welcoming us with open arms. We’re worth at least $20M/year in tv money to them which means just having us in the league should be increasing revenue of each school by $2M/year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UConn didn't leave the original BE. The basketball only schools left with the BE name.
They left with the name because we sold it to them. That sale was seed money to build the AAC. Turned out to be a bad investment for us but a major part of that was bad outcomes with our choices.

Reaction Score
If our administration couldn’t even have talked the Big East into waiving the entry fee then I feel like we might not have spent our due diligence setting up this move. UConn brings way more value to the Big East than the Big East brings to UConn (in my opinion). Big East should be welcoming us with open arms. We’re worth at least $20M/year in tv money to them which means just having us in the league should be increasing revenue of each school by $2M/year.
This school isn't exactly known for shrewd negotiations in case you haven't been keeping up on current history

pj

Reaction Score

Entrance fee is the last thing they should have been bargaining over. More important:
- Ability to leave freely if a P5 offer comes. No grant of rights.
- Ownership/control of media rights not taken up by Fox so that they can have year-round SNY content and do a sizable cable package. Validating value of UConn on cable not only monetizes UConn's regional fans, it helps prove value to P5 conferences with networks. Say we get $8 million from SNY for Big East Tier 3 and indy football games, that would likely be equivalent to $20 million on ACC network with ACC competition, more on BTN with Big Ten competition.

There could be all kind of other provisions in the agreement, e.g. help with exit fee, that may have been important to UConn.

Reaction Score
UConn didn't leave the original BE. The basketball only schools left with the BE name.
They made a conscious choice to concentrate on football and go to the AAC. They could of stayed if they were willing to go independent in Football then. I know that is a chance they were willing to make to go P5. It just sucks we wasted 6 years on this pipe dream.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They made a conscious choice to concentrate on football and go to the AAC. They could of stayed if they were willing to go independent in Football then. I know that is a chance they were willing to make to go P5. It just sucks we wasted 6 years on this pipe dream.

Repeat after me. We did not leave our conference. The Catholic 7 left and formed a new league, then bought the naming rights to the Big East. We were not invited to leave with them.

Reaction Score
Repeat after me. We did not leave our conference. The Catholic 7 left and formed a new league, then bought the naming rights to the Big East. We were not invited to leave with them.
You don't think they offered for us to stay if we left our football team independent?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
20 years from now football will probably be 8 v. 8 flag football.
My hope based on head trauma. I think the most likely future is less kids playing but enough to feed the college ranks. The number of schools participating will be significantly reduced. The payoff to them could be huge if the NFL continues to use universities as a developmental league.

What sport, if any, that people in this country turn to fill the void is anyone’s guess. It could be basketball but I wouldn’t rule out soccer or computer gaming.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
[/]

They can repeat after me if you need it.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You don't think they offered for us to stay if we left our football team independent?

My understanding is that they originally wanted to form a league with members all on the same page, so not football playing schools.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly the Catholics wanted clean break from all-sports and there was no offer like that
Well I didn't say there wasn't anything official. I guess we were so committed at the time to football that it really never was an option. Either way we are back home so I'm glad.

Reaction Score
It still chaps me when I look at many of the truly shytty athletic departments in P5. Hopefully this somehow gets us on the road to where we deserve to be.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Let’s hope this is the case. Obviously less kids playing football with all the head injuries reported, but it’s going to be a long time before the sport is totally changed I think. I think I said it in previous threads, but football drives the bus now but things change. Let’s hope 20 years from now b-ball is driving the bus.
You have to be a young guy to be looking ahead 20 years.

Reaction Score
My hope based on head trauma. I think the most likely future is less kids playing but enough to feed the college ranks. The number of schools participating will be significantly reduced. The payoff to them could be huge if the NFL continues to use universities as a developmental league.

What sport, if any, that people in this country turn to fill the void is anyone’s guess. It could be basketball but I wouldn’t rule out soccer or computer gaming.
I think you're right about less kids playing, and it will be very regional with football being even more of a southern sport than it is already. New England football will be pretty limited.

Reaction Score
You have to be a young guy to be looking ahead 20 years.

Mid 30’s, so yeah i hope in 20 years our b-ball program is thriving and the athletic department is in a better position. I realize the baby boomer generation tends to only care about themselves, but I personally think it’d be cool to see my kids and grandkids enjoy watching a successful UConn program in the future. I’m hopeful that this will work out for UConn, but fearful that our senior citizen Board of Trustees just wants to re-live their glory days for few more years before they kick the bucket. I’ll cross my fingers and hope for the best for the program.

Reaction Score
So so much for getting a break if we leave the conference in the future for P5 chance. Well I'm happy to be in the Big East again but it comes at a great cost.

Reaction Score
So so much for getting a break if we leave the conference in the future for P5 chance. Well I'm happy to be in the Big East again but it comes at a great cost.
Based on the timeline of a potential P5 expansion, it'd cost $15m to leave. That's not an outrageous number considering what we'd be making. I think this deal was pretty well negotiated on both sides.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

God, I hope I’m dead before football becomes an after thought in this country, especially in exchange for soccer!?!?. It’s already so soft nowadays I hardly recognize it from the sport I grew up loving. Legit one of my biggest fears for the future.

I’m a UConn Men’s B-ball fan solely, but football is my heart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom