Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
If they lose the freshmen to the portal…that’s going to be gasoline on the fire.

There are teams that give UConn trouble and there are teams that would not give UConn trouble….Syracuse is one that would not.
If Boeheim stays it will be interesting to see whether the freshmen they have care more about winning (portal) or money (staying) because Cuse is backing up the truck these days (not that I have anything against that if it's within the rules).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
NET has them at 101, one spot below Colgate and one ahead of UC Santa Barbara.

4 more years Jim!!!
Just 4? He’s got a good decade left in him.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
really looking forward to Syracuse going all in on Weitsman and then somehow someway having it blow up in their face.

The guy who was convicted of 86 counts of felony bank fraud? You don’t say!

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Jim really should retire

We were them just a few short years ago. Couldn't believe what we were seeing. Although multiple major injuries every year contributed to that, and a bad conference didn't help

I'm glad to be back in the mix

Reaction Score
Honestly, I would hate to see them become Georgetown. Though I doubt it. The Orange care about athletics. They are just letting Boeheim run out the clock. Georgetown would probably be a better fit in the Patriot and if it wasn’t for the money would be happier and with like minded institutions. And DePaul could return to its rightful place holding up the New Big East.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just 4? He’s got a good decade left in him.
Jim really should retire
Syracuse and Beoheim are co-dependent. There is no better lure to Syracuse than their living legend. Without coaching, Beoheim begins counting the days to his death.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Honestly, I would hate to see them become Georgetown. Though I doubt it. The Orange care about athletics. They are just letting Boeheim run out the clock. Georgetown would probably be a better fit in the Patriot and if it wasn’t for the money would be happier and with like minded institutions. And DePaul could return to its rightful place holding up the New Big East.
As this post makes more clear, you've evolved into The Boneyard's Boeheim, a crabby, out-of-touch, hold out.

Reaction Score
Boeheim will retire soon and they will be build the program. It might take a few tries. It often does. But Syracuse, I wouldn’t call them a blue blood exactly, but they have been at the top of the game for arguably 100 years. They have been to Final Fours in every decade since the 70s, under 2 coaches. Been to the Title game 3 times. Never had a coach with a losing record. They will be back. But he has stayed too long unfortunately. It happens.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Boeheim will retire soon and they will be build the program. It might take a few tries. It often does. But Syracuse, I wouldn’t call them a blue blood exactly, but they have been at the top of the game for arguably 100 years. They have been to Final Fours in every decade since the 70s, under 2 coaches. Been to the Title game 3 times. Never had a coach with a losing record. They will be back. But he has stayed too long unfortunately. It happens.

As I said above, For guys like Boeheim, retirement = death. While I recognize that he is probably hurting the Syracuse program, I personally have a hard time encouraging anyone in that direction. Did anyone fault Calhoun for returning to coaching after he retired from UConn? Bill Belichick said he didn't want to coach football into his 70s like Marv Levy, but here we are. BB will be 71 in April.

It's a two way street and selfishly, Boeheim should coach for as long as Syracuse will have him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
JB should take the LeMoyne job. St. Joe's needs a little brother
I would prefer this to Boeheim traveling west on I-90 to coach at D-3 University of Rochester, where his daughter Jamie played, even though some might think it's a good fit.

Consider:

Rochester remains a member of the Association of American Universities, from which Syracuse resigned in 2011, in advance of its being voted out.

Rochester was where Jay Wright began his coaching career, a little more than a year after graduating Bucknell, where he played on the basketball team. If only by coincidence, Wright was hired shortly after Dennis O'Brien became Rochester's 8th president, after previously serving Bucknell in similar capacity.

Rochester competes pretty well in the University Athletic Association, where this year it joins conference mates NYU, Case Western, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, and Washington (StL) in ranking in the top 7 within its own Region, and parity prevents any team from a Top 20 ranking, although the 8-team conference has only 15 total OOC losses.

What is the point of this meandering post?

First of all, it's a break from the angst-ridden, pessimistic, hyper critical ("No, we're just being honest") posting that displays an agitated mental state and emotional maturity profile that mirrors, matches, inspires, and/or is inspired by many of the same things that these posts and posters dislike when they recognize them in the words & actions of the head coach and some of the players.

It's like pre-school or daycare with the kids passing the germs around and taking them home to infect the rest of their family, and anyone who notices & questions this unhealthy pattern is labeled as a buzz kill trying to disrupt the pig pile of hijacked amygdalae in full flowering, all for the chance to put forth the most eloquent or hardest hitting take on, "We suck, and here's why I'm right."

More to the point of my first paragraph, I've always liked the Wes Bialosouknia nickname "The Poughkeepsie Popper." As a Rochester alum, I would be embarrassed if my alma mater's basketball coach got tagged with "The Palestra Picker."

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I would prefer this to Boeheim traveling west on I-90 to coach at D-3 University of Rochester, where his daughter Jamie played, even though some might think it's a good fit.

Consider:

Rochester remains a member of the Association of American Universities, from which Syracuse resigned in 2011, in advance of its being voted out.

Rochester was where Jay Wright began his coaching career, a little more than a year after graduating Bucknell, where he played on the basketball team. If only by coincidence, Wright was hired shortly after Dennis O'Brien became Rochester's 8th president, after previously serving Bucknell in similar capacity.

Rochester competes pretty well in the University Athletic Association, where this year it joins conference mates NYU, Case Western, Carnegie Mellon, Emory, and Washington (StL) in ranking in the top 7 within its own Region, and parity prevents any team from a Top 20 ranking, although the 8-team conference has only 15 total OOC losses.

First of all, it's a break from the angst-ridden, pessimistic, hyper critical ("No, we're just being honest") posting that displays an agitated mental state and emotional maturity profile that mirrors, matches, inspires, and/or is inspired by many of the same things that these posts and posters dislike when they recognize them in the words & actions of the head coach and some of the players.

It's like pre-school or daycare with the kids passing the germs around and taking them home to infect the rest of their family, and anyone who notices & questions this unhealthy pattern is labeled as a buzz kill trying to disrupt the pig pile of hijacked amygdalae in full flowering, all for the chance to put forth the most eloquent or hardest hitting take on, "We suck, and here's why I'm right."

More to the point of my first paragraph, I've always liked the Wes Bialosouknia nickname "The Poughkeepsie Popper." As a Rochester alum, I would be embarrassed if my alma mater's basketball coach got tagged with "The Palestra Picker."
You ever get a garbage plate at Nick Tahou's?

Reaction Score

Consider:

UAA is really quality basketball. I watched some games this past weekend and enjoyed more than I do many D1 games. NYU has a heck of a player in Harvard transfer Spencer Freedman.

I remember a road trip from Binghamton to Rochester in college and I recall riding dining hall trays down a snowy steep hill on campus… but I don’t remember if I almost killed myself on that frozen slope at Rochester or RIT. That weekend was a blur.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It was fully available to me half a century ago, and somehow I declined, preferring to assault my innards with late night runs to Smitty's Birdland for half of an uncut fried chicken, drenched in a sweet/hot BBQ sauce pretty well approximated by Sal's (or somewhat hackable working from Jamaican Choice Yellow Hot Pepper Sauce and adding maple syrup for sweetness w/similar viscosity if you're not regional), atop two slices of white bread that got saturated in the sauce and went down with a burn. The very bland, green pepper & carrot-flecked mac salad that filled out the plate was similarly awakened by the sauce. The fry was so complete that one measurement of enjoyment was how many of the bones could be crunched through as part of the meal.

For comfort, gross volume and/or odd hours, there was also Campi's meatball subs, Jay's Diner's pinkish bisque-like clam chowder, Abbott's frozen custard at the city's Lake Ontario beach in Charlotte, Don & Bob ("Where quality predominates") custard in Brighton, and a Bay & Goodman pizza in Irondequoit where House of Guitars held sway.

I was iffy about mixing together different foods and condiments and such until after college, so Tahou's stands as a missed opportunity. You been?
How 'bout HoG?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It was fully available to me half a century ago, and somehow I declined, preferring to assault my innards with late night runs to Smitty's Birdland for half of an uncut fried chicken, drenched in a sweet/hot BBQ sauce pretty well approximated by Sal's (or somewhat hackable working from Jamaican Choice Yellow Hot Pepper Sauce and adding maple syrup for sweetness w/similar viscosity if you're not regional), atop two slices of white bread that got saturated in the sauce and went down with a burn. The very bland, green pepper & carrot-flecked mac salad that filled out the plate was similarly awakened by the sauce. The fry was so complete that one measurement of enjoyment was how many of the bones could be crunched through as part of the meal.

For comfort, gross volume and/or odd hours, there was also Campi's meatball subs, Jay's Diner's pinkish bisque-like clam chowder, Abbott's frozen custard at the city's Lake Ontario beach in Charlotte, Don & Bob ("Where quality predominates") custard in Brighton, and a Bay & Goodman pizza in Irondequoit where House of Guitars held sway.

I was iffy about mixing together different foods and condiments and such until after college, so Tahou's stands as a missed opportunity. You been?
How 'bout HoG?

Of course Ive been to HoG a bunch of times. Bought an axe there in 90's. One of my favorite places in the country.

Yeah, I went to Nicks and experienced the garbage plate at about 3:30 AM after a gig. Dude was flipping stuff on the flat top with a snow shovel. And the Clientele were, um, interesting. And we were a little psychedelicized. Never forget it. That actually might've been the same trip I made that purchase at HoG now that I think of it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
UAA is really quality basketball. I watched some games this past weekend and enjoyed more than I do many D1 games. NYU has a heck of a player in Harvard transfer Spencer Freedman.

I remember a road trip from Binghamton to Rochester in college and I recall riding dining hall trays down a snowy steep hill on campus… but I don’t remember if I almost killed myself on that frozen slope at Rochester or RIT. That weekend was a blur.
100% traying behind The Hill, an X-shaped dorm since renamed to honor Susan B. Anthony, for whom one of the 4 wings was originally named.

I recall RIT's campus as flat, windswept, and all the same red brick w/no warmth or personality. But I did see a double bill of Loudon Wainwright III and a young Tom Waits (if there ever was such a thing). And just off the isolated Henrietta campus, there was Red Creek, which regularly hosted Rhode Island-based Roomful of Blues that then featured guitarist Duke Robillard as its frontman.

One of the joys of a western NY college education was road-tripping to visit high school friends (or friends' friends); or go to concerts at Syracuse (Manley Field House), Buffalo (War Memorial Stadium), Cornell (Barton Hall); or check out Finger Lakes/regional hometowns of classmates.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Of course Ive been to HoG a bunch of times. Bought an axe there in 90's. One of my favorite places in the country.

Yeah, I went to Nicks and experienced the garbage plate at about 3:30 AM after a gig. Dude was flipping stuff on the flat top with a snow shovel. And the Clientele were, um, interesting. And we were a little psychedelicized. Never forget it. That actually might've been the same trip I made that purchase at HoG now that I think of it.
No surprises here.
And for reference...
Screenshot_20230221-131757.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

How 'bout HoG?

The garbage plate just wrecks you gut. Combo a night of drinking Genny Cream Ale with a late night (okay, early morning) run to Nick's for a garbage plate and it created a distinct smell in the residence hall bathrooms. I had a roommate who went there semi-regularly, let's say about once a month. The next morning you could smell him from 15' away in the apartment.

Truly a unique part of the local culture. It really doesn't even look edible.
1677003876857.png

Reaction Score
The garbage plate just wrecks you gut. Combo a night of drinking Genny Cream Ale with a late night (okay, early morning) run to Nick's for a garbage plate and it created a distinct smell in the residence hall bathrooms. I had a roommate who went there semi-regularly, let's say about once a month. The next morning you could smell him from 15' away in the apartment.

Truly a unique part of the local culture. It really doesn't even look edible.
View attachment 84293
Is that one serving or two different variants of the garbage plate? (impressive either way)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is that one serving or two different variants of the garbage plate? (impressive either way)

That's two separate plates. One on the left has the macaroni salad with the minced meat and onions over some hash browns. The stale bread completes the meal. I'm not sure about the one on the right. Memory of trips there is often vague and isn't something you want to cling to as you age.

Reaction Score
I thought I'd offer a KenPom update on the top conferences especially after:
  • Clemson crushed "the other" Orange, 91-73,
  • UNC had to scramble to beat an awful Notre Dame team, 63-59, and
  • #6 Virginia, the ACC's current AP poll standard bearer, was demolished by (wait for it) BCU, 63-48.
A few weeks ago, I joked that the ACC might sink down to the American's level, but alas, we will run out of season before the ACC runs out of steam.

1677167777113.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds