Official Selection Show thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Official Selection Show thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Playing near home is nice, but why are people acting as if good teams win on the road...all the time. In those undefeated seasons, how many times did UCONN win...OUTSIDE of the state. I guess those don't count. Why aren't critics complaining about the top 16 teams playing two home games? Why not reverse it and have the lower seed play on their home court?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I haven't read all of these posts...but Florida Gulf Coast got freaking hosed with a 12 seed. Their only losses are to Princeton by 3 and to Stetson when they were without Bell. Early in the year they beat LSU (3 seed) by 14 and overall they are 28-2. I could easily see them making the Sweet 16 considering their subregional. I'm not sure if Kitley will be healthy or not, and Maryland has been all over the place.
I stated above that I feel they're under-seeded. However, I'd much rather be a 12 seed than an 8 or 9 seed (which is where I thought FGCU might be) if I want the best chance of reaching the Sweet 16.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think I'm missing something with the whole 65-68 last 4 teams. How come those 4 teams aren't all paired in the 16 seed positions? Why are there two "play-in" games in the Greensboro region and none in Wichita? Why is an 11 seed involved in a play-in game?
The "first four" games, as they've existed on the men's side for some time now, consist of two games between the bottom four teams in the field (teams 65-68, seeded 16) plus two games between the last four at-large selections, which are usually 11 seeds.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
they can beat anybody when playing well but are not a great offensive team........... definitely less threatening than South Carolina or Stanford
They're also not big enough or athletic enough in the front court to really be a threat for the championship.

Reaction Score
I should've rephrased it--no one likely to make it to regionals is remotely close to Bridgeport. At any rate, it will be a home atmosphere for the Huskies.

The crowd, yes. But if they play in Bridgeport it will be for the first time this season.

As for unfairness I say no. What UConn has done is available to every other team. Hire a good coach. Support the development of a winning program that is also entertaining, but especially one that wins. Then arenas near that school will bid for regionals. That's available to anyone.

Reaction Score
LSU may be screwed playing a tough Jackson State squad.
LSU can lose to anyone…. No Morris, force everyone but Pointer to beat you. This was among the worst teams in D1 last year without Alexis

But I’m sure Kim will do the best she can to have them ready regardless.

Reaction Score
How did Oregon State fall so much? Did they have injuries or did they graduate their best players?
One of their starters, Taylor Jones got injured in December.

They had two players transfer last year.

One, Sasha Goforth transferred to Arkansas and averaged 29.3 minutes, 11.7 points a game.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I understand your points, Plebe, but I think Clark won't have as much trouble with SC's smallish guards as she has with bigger defenders, such as Maryland's this winter. I'd also expect Iowa's Warnock, Martin and O'Grady to help Caitlin and Czinano on the boards. They're not as big as the Gamecocks but they are feisty...

As I've heard others opine, a key will be whether refs let Boston get away with fouls on Czinano. To date, she seems to get away with a lot, but Monika is a tough cover.

I'd bet on SC, but wouldn't be shocked if Iowa makes it a tight game.

First, however the Hawkeyes would need to beat Iowa State, no easy task.
SCar has no one that can guard Clark, but Iowa has no one that can contain Boston. What will kill Iowa though is the rest of SCar's front line and their bench. The 3rd and 4th quarters will be real tests for Iowa's stamina and determination. SCar's front line will beat them to death and their bench will have them dragging their feet at the end. IMO no matter how many teams from the B1G 10 made the dance, ain't a one of them really scares me. Clark's a fine player, but one off night and that team goes home.

Reaction Score
They're also not big enough or athletic enough in the front court to really be a threat for the championship.

"When you live by the jump shot you die by the jump shot." Could have been Red or Russell.

Iowa likely will have a cold shooting game and their lack of defense will cost them. But they could also draw a lot of blood before they do. And if Clark is on then SCar could have trouble scoring enough.

Reaction Score
Sounds like you're arguing that the committee should establish rules and abide by those rules except where they don't. You don't counter bias by adopting a different bias.
Not different rules— just an additional consideration on margin, when appropriate.

I don’t see what the Committee would have sacrificed— nor what other team(s) would have been adversely affected— if UConn & Baylor regional seedings were simply swapped… or even if NC State went with UConn to Wichita, with Louisville joining Baylor in Bridgeport. Neutral Elite 8 sites for both matchups in that case.

I am confident that whispers will/have increase(d) about how UConn has been rewarded for their worst regular season in recent memory. The fact that the ESPN panel has highlighted this issue immediately speaks to its egregiousness, even as strict seeding methodology was sound on its face. UConn has essentially been given a de facto #1 seed & more favorable treatment than ANY team aside from overall top seed SC similarly playing near home until FF. There is more grist for UConn bias discussion after tonight’s seeding reveal than beforehand— whether justified or not.

What I’m appealing for moving forward is common sense latitude/flexibility as a marginal consideration, in the spirit of fairness.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
This is really the last hurrah for NC State. We will take a step backwards next season and may never, ever again attain the level of success this group has brought us the last three seasons.

Kayla Jones, Kai Crutchfield and Raina Perez came back for their bonus year to take NC State deep into the NCAAT. I expect them, plus Cunane, to give it all they have and make a run at the national title.
Maybe it's a good omen for NC State to be in the same region with UConn. It worked out well back in 1998, right?

JordyG

Reaction Score
NC State has been the top team in one of the premiere conferences for the last 2 years. They are just as good as the other number one seeds so I would not be too eager to play them.
No offense to NCState, but their front line can't mess with Boston, nor can their guards, nor can their bench. Their back line would be chasing Stanford's all night, and Brink would take Cunane off the dribble from the foul line all day. Tara's bench would also be merciless. As an SCar fan you're just being kind and diplomatic.

JordyG

Reaction Score
We’re missing the forest through the trees. The best thing about UConn being in Bridgeport is not that they have a home game. It’s that they don’t have to play SC or the Cardinal until the Final Four, giving Paige another week to practice.
Id rather face Louisville any day of the week than NC State.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Wait. They have a replacement team play? Cool.

Tough year for UCLA. Their injury list was just crushed their chances. Next year a healthy team plus Rice is going to dangerous.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The crowd, yes. But if they play in Bridgeport it will be for the first time this season.

As for unfairness I say no. What UConn has done is available to every other team. Hire a good coach. Support the development of a winning program that is also entertaining, but especially one that wins. Then arenas near that school will bid for regionals. That's available to anyone.
Up until last year Las Vegas was forbidden to bid on ANY NCAA tournaments and the basketball tournaments have been awarded out thru I believe 2025. The first basketball tournaments that Las Vegas is bidding on is the 2026+ Regionals and the Final Four.

The reason why they couldn't bid on them before is because Nevada was the only state that had betting on college sports. Now there are numerous states that have betting on college sports they had to either treat all of the states that have college betting the same as they did Nevada or open the bidding up to Nevada. The NFL was that way for a long while until the Raiders decided to move to Vegas, now the 2024 Super Bowl will be here in Vegas.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Feeling great about the Bridgeport region. :cool:
The selection committee finally got it right. First, a tip o’ the turban for the committee putting 4 Big East teams in, and secondly for making UConn a 2 seed in the BPT region. We got a very good draw that first weekend.

The suspense is over. Now we know who and when we play. I’m hoping UConn has to take one more charter flight this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom