Official Selection Show thread | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Official Selection Show thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That’s true, of course. But I would be HOT if I were an NC State fan after tonight’s Bracket reveal. As stated in other posts/threads, they have been a clear Top-3 team all season & strong #1 seed only to “earn” a hostile Elite 8 road game in UConn’s home state.

I’m a huge Huskies fan, & UConn is stacked on paper when now healthy, but they have had a down year & do not deserve such homecooking, so to speak.

Curious why the Committee couldn’t have simply swapped 1/2 pairings b/w Bridgeport & Wichita, thereby eliminating this disparity. Not like NC State & Louisville playing near home, respectively, as-is, & Baylor arguably should have lost their awarded regional edge by losing the Big-12 Final today.

Finally, UConn staying in Bridgeport is doing nothing to calm bias allegations discussed by select prominent NCAAW figures this year. This was the year to pull them out of New England yet they are still set-up to play de facto home Tournament games until Final Four, regardless. Missed opportunity in name of parity tagline for women’s game, particularly considering 50th anniversary of Title IX narrative backdrop.

Historically the committee has always put big time programs in regionals close to home if it was possible. UCONN in 2004, 2006, and 2019 played within a couple hours of home as a 2 seed, while #1 seeds had to essentially win at UCONN to get to the Final Four. Other programs has similarly benefitted too over the years (off the top of my head, Oregon in 2019, Stanford in 2014, Louisville in 2014). They follow an S curve largely based on distance from home rather than a true S-curve of ranking top 4 seeds 1-16 and matching up 1-16, 2-15, etc.

The benefit is that it puts butts in seats and generates big crowds and support. When UCONN plays within an hour or 2 of Storrs, UCONN fans pack the house. The situation was the same for the three games mentioned above and it created a great atmosphere for women's basketball and helps grow the sport. If UCONN isn't in Albany or Bridgeport, fan attendance drops significantly. It isn't fair since it benefits the home team and hurts the #1 seed, but it's the reality of the situation.

Reaction Score
When UConn lost Paige and were in the peak of their struggles, Peck stated that Geno depends on a single star and doesn't develop the whole team to do multiple roles, that's why it was having problems.....

Tut! Tut! I haven't heard her lately.
guess you missed the part where Geno said "he doesn't like his team without Paige, but he has no choice but to like his team now"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’m a huge Huskies fan, & UConn is loaded when now healthy, but they have had a down year by any reasonable standard & do not deserve such homecooking, so to speak. They may well prove ultimately so deserving, but this would be after-the-fact. Bracket reveal should be predicated on empirical results to-date— not potential nor paper projection.
You realize that the committee seated according to the S curve, so did so without either benefit or detriment to UConn. It’s really hard to make claims of bias under that circumstance don’t you think.

In fact, going any other way would have been biased.

Reaction Score
Selfishly I wanted UConn in BPT, but I can see how NC St would be peeved. No one wants to earn the 1 seed and the have to play the 2 seed in front of what is basically a home crowd.
Yeah, Louisville was handed that same task back in 2019... It didn't turn out well for them.

Reaction Score
That’s true, of course. But I would be HOT if I were an NC State fan after tonight’s Bracket reveal. As stated in other posts/threads, they have been a clear Top-3 team all season & strong #1 seed only to “earn” a hostile Elite 8 road game in UConn’s home state.

I’m a huge Huskies fan, & UConn is loaded when now healthy, but they have had a down year by any reasonable standard & do not deserve such homecooking, so to speak. They may well prove ultimately so deserving, but this would be after-the-fact. Bracket reveal should be predicated on empirical results to-date— not potential nor paper projection.

Curious why the Committee couldn’t have simply swapped 1/2 pairings b/w Bridgeport & Wichita, thereby eliminating this disparity. Not like NC State & Louisville playing near home, respectively, as-is, & Baylor arguably should have lost their awarded regional edge by losing the Big-12 Final today.

Finally, UConn staying in Bridgeport is doing nothing to calm bias allegations discussed by select prominent NCAAW figures this year. This was the year to pull them out of New England yet they are still set-up to play de facto home Tournament games until Final Four, regardless. Missed opportunity in name of parity tagline for women’s game, particularly considering 50th anniversary of Title IX narrative backdrop.
Sounds like you're arguing that the committee should establish rules and abide by those rules except where they don't. You don't counter bias by adopting a different bias.
If you want to be near a metro north station you have to stay in Fairfield.
The Stamford Marriott is close to the Stamford station.

Reaction Score
here is the WNIT field:

Boston College (19-11), Atlantic Coast
Campbell (23-7), Big South
Columbia (22-6), Ivy
Drexel (26-5), Colonial
Fairleigh Dickinson (19-11), Northeast
Grand Canyon (22-9), Western Athletic
Holy Cross (20-10), Patriot
Houston Baptist (16-10), Southland
Idaho State (19-11), Big Sky
Jacksonville State (24-7), Atlantic Sun
Louisiana Tech (21-11), Conference USA
Maine (20-11), America East
Marquette (21-10), Big East
Missouri (18-12), Southeastern
New Mexico (24-9), Mountain West
Norfolk State (17-11), Mid-Eastern Athletic
Quinnipiac (20-11), Metro Atlantic Athletic
Rhode Island (22-6), Atlantic 10
San Francisco (16-11), West Coast
South Dakota State (23-9), Summit
Southern Illinois (21-9), Missouri Valley
Tennessee Tech (20-10), Ohio Valley
Toledo (26-5), Mid-American
Troy (24-8), Sun Belt
Tulane (20-9), American
UC Irvine (21-11), Big West
UCLA (14-12), Pac-12
West Virginia (15-15), Big 12
Wofford (17-13), Southern
Youngstown State (24-6), Horizon
Akron (17-11), Mid-American
Air Force (18-13), Mountain West
Alabama (17-13), Southeastern
Ball State (20-12), Mid-American
Bucknell (23-9), Patriot
Cal Baptist (23-8), Western Athletic
Colorado State (21-11), Mountain West
Drake (18-13), Missouri Valley
Fordham (18-10), Atlantic 10
Green Bay (19-7), Horizon
Houston (16-15), American
Kent State (18-11), Mid-American
Kansas City (23-8), Summit
Liberty (27-4), Atlantic Sun
Long Beach State (19-8), Big West
Middle Tennessee (23-7), Conference USA
Minnesota (14-17), Big Ten
Murray State (22-9), Ohio Valley
Northern Iowa (22-10), Missouri Valley
North Texas (17-12), Conference USA
Ohio (15-14), Mid-American
Old Dominion (23-9). Conference USA
Oregon State (14-13), Pac-12
Portland (19-10), West Coast
Purdue (16-14), Big Ten
San Diego (16-14), West Coast
Seton Hall (19-12), Big East
SMU (14-14), American
Stony Brook (23-5), American East
Towson (24-7), Colonial
Tulsa (16-10), American
Vanderbilt (14-18), Southeastern
VCU (15-11), Atlantic 10
Wyoming (15-12), Mountain West

Reaction Score
Same here
Does anyone have an idea where to stay in Bridgeport?
I have no idea as to the quality but there is a Holiday Inn in Bridgeport which is within walking distance of the arena. I’ve parked there and once ate there. The food was okay and the place looked clean, Ralph and Rich’s is a good restaurant choice near the arena.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I haven't read all of these posts...but Florida Gulf Coast got freaking hosed with a 12 seed. Their only losses are to Princeton by 3 and to Stetson when they were without Bell. Early in the year they beat LSU (3 seed) by 14 and overall they are 28-2. I could easily see them making the Sweet 16 considering their subregional. I'm not sure if Kitley will be healthy or not, and Maryland has been all over the place.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

I have to say nomdoux that although your post will not be warmly greeted by many UConn fans,it's been my position all along.

Now I must admit to not being one bit interested in comprehending the machinations of the so-called "S" curve and I run for cover at the thought of participating in those threads.

And it may be, that we may falter along the way...We've struggled in Bridgeport before...

But if I were the team or the boss, I would be licking my chops at playing "home" games all the way 'till the Final-4. ...Throw em to the lions; seems really unfair.

Twenty-thirty-even forty point wipe-outs right through the regionals.
Of course, in my fantasy world, they would have done that in Greensboro as well.
(tee-hee).

Reaction Score
ESPN’s extended Bracketology coverage just discussed this UConn treatment in more depth. Caroline Peck espoused my aforementioned point, saying she’d be “pissed” if she were NC State’s coach. Panel host Zubin Mehenti cited UConn’s effective home games route to Final Four.

Our own Rebecca Lobo made an insightful counterpoint even in conceding the “fairness” issue. Besides Committee following S-curve with UConn as legit #2 seed slotting, Lobo pointed out that the reason that the NCAAW Tournament has had a regional in either Albany or Bridgeport every year is because of the support of the UConn fanbase in supporting the women’s game. She then highlighted that Bridgeport regional tickets sell for 3x the other sites, which is staggering. As some of you have stated elsewhere, this economic factor likely plays into Committee calculus on margin.

Reaction Score
Is that near a Metro North station? Driving to the arena In Bridgeport is :eek:
Marriott Trumbull nowhere near a MetroNorth Station. And it’s 5.5 miles from arena.

Reaction Score
here is the WNIT field:

Boston College (19-11), Atlantic Coast
Campbell (23-7), Big South
Columbia (22-6), Ivy
Drexel (26-5), Colonial
Fairleigh Dickinson (19-11), Northeast
Grand Canyon (22-9), Western Athletic
Holy Cross (20-10), Patriot
Houston Baptist (16-10), Southland
Idaho State (19-11), Big Sky
Jacksonville State (24-7), Atlantic Sun
Louisiana Tech (21-11), Conference USA
Maine (20-11), America East
Marquette (21-10), Big East
Missouri (18-12), Southeastern
New Mexico (24-9), Mountain West
Norfolk State (17-11), Mid-Eastern Athletic
Quinnipiac (20-11), Metro Atlantic Athletic
Rhode Island (22-6), Atlantic 10
San Francisco (16-11), West Coast
South Dakota State (23-9), Summit
Southern Illinois (21-9), Missouri Valley
Tennessee Tech (20-10), Ohio Valley
Toledo (26-5), Mid-American
Troy (24-8), Sun Belt
Tulane (20-9), American
UC Irvine (21-11), Big West
UCLA (14-12), Pac-12
West Virginia (15-15), Big 12
Wofford (17-13), Southern
Youngstown State (24-6), Horizon
Akron (17-11), Mid-American
Air Force (18-13), Mountain West
Alabama (17-13), Southeastern
Ball State (20-12), Mid-American
Bucknell (23-9), Patriot
Cal Baptist (23-8), Western Athletic
Colorado State (21-11), Mountain West
Drake (18-13), Missouri Valley
Fordham (18-10), Atlantic 10
Green Bay (19-7), Horizon
Houston (16-15), American
Kent State (18-11), Mid-American
Kansas City (23-8), Summit
Liberty (27-4), Atlantic Sun
Long Beach State (19-8), Big West
Middle Tennessee (23-7), Conference USA
Minnesota (14-17), Big Ten
Murray State (22-9), Ohio Valley
Northern Iowa (22-10), Missouri Valley
North Texas (17-12), Conference USA
Ohio (15-14), Mid-American
Old Dominion (23-9). Conference USA
Oregon State (14-13), Pac-12
Portland (19-10), West Coast
Purdue (16-14), Big Ten
San Diego (16-14), West Coast
Seton Hall (19-12), Big East
SMU (14-14), American
Stony Brook (23-5), American East
Towson (24-7), Colonial
Tulsa (16-10), American
Vanderbilt (14-18), Southeastern
VCU (15-11), Atlantic 10
Wyoming (15-12), Mountain West
Like Marquette.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Arizona is really struggling coming into this tournament. Cate Reese I’ll likely be back but they were struggling even before she went down. If they can find some offense, they could be dangerous though.
Not that I expect a repeat, but they weren't exactly playing great coming into the Tourney last year either.

Reaction Score
How did Oregon State fall so much? Did they have injuries or did they graduate their best players?

Reaction Score
I was thinking 8/9

8/9 winner plays No 1. I think Vill can beat a 6 and then they'd get a 3 to play for a spot in the S16. Especially if they play like in the BET.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Duke didn't even make the WNIT..... when does the WBI selection show start? :eek:
They HAD to have declined an invitation. Minnesota and Vandy both got in.

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that Nikki Fargas (sp?) mentioned that Bridgeport was virtually a home game for the Huskies but didn't mention that Greensboro is virtually a home game for SoCar?
Yes, but the critical difference is that South Carolina is the overall top seed & overarching quadrant #1 with this earned, attendant geographic advantage— whereas UConn is an undisputed #2 seed, justifiably without such benefit in a vacuum.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have to say nomdoux that although your post will not be warmly greeted by many UConn fans,it's been my position all along.

Now I must admit to not being one bit interested in comprehending the machinations of the so-called "S" curve and I run for cover at the thought of participating in those threads
#unintentionallyironicposts

Reaction Score
I think I'm missing something with the whole 65-68 last 4 teams. How come those 4 teams aren't all paired in the 16 seed positions? Why are there two "play-in" games in the Greensboro region and none in Wichita? Why is an 11 seed involved in a play-in game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom