Official: Glen Miller is gone | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Official: Glen Miller is gone

Reaction Score
The fact that he fired Miller is not in and of itself a testament to his willingness to make tough decisions. It could as easily be the opposite.

Would you be more encouraged if he looked around and said "yep, everything is fine here"?

Reaction Score
Would you be more encouraged if he looked around and said "yep, everything is fine here"?

I would be more encouraged if he demonstrated a willingness to adjust during the actual season, and if we are to belief @Chief00 that Miller was the architect of the "gimmick zones," it begs the question of whether removing Miller from the staff only affirms the echo chamber already in place.

I can't be sure of that, of course, but I do not get the sense that Miller was some status quo guy. If anything, I imagine he was let go because of his recruiting failures.

C

Chief00

As with football, Benedict makes it a point to provide input at various junctures during the season. I would be shock if what happened isn't consistent with his input. I don't believe KO's dismissal of 2 staff members was done in isolation from Benedict's input, if that's what Mr Fishy was suggesting.

C

Chief00

I would be more encouraged if he demonstrated a willingness to adjust during the actual season, and if we are to belief @Chief00 that Miller was the architect of the "gimmick zones," it begs the question of whether removing Miller from the staff only affirms the echo chamber already in place.

I can't be sure of that, of course, but I do not get the sense that Miller was some status quo guy. If anything, I imagine he was let go because of his recruiting failures.

True, there was Diallo fallout. The really bad thing there was our point recruiters misreadingof our chances, which impacted recruiting strategy and our success landing other recruits.

pj

Reaction Score
ftfy

"with a long history of NCAA transgressions" -- he's 76, no need to send him out on the recruiting trail, let him focus on coaching players and assisting Ollie with X's and O's and game planning.

If he's not recruiting and not head coach, his capacity to commit NCAA transgressions is very limited.

I think Larry Brown would be an awesome add to the staff.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown was rumored to have interest in coaching my old High School earlier this year, pretty funny.

C

Chief00

Larry Brown was rumored to have interest in coaching my old High School earlier this year, pretty funny.

LB loves the game and needs to be around it. To each his own, but I love guys like that - who can never get enough basketball and are always looking for that edge.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"with a long history of NCAA transgressions" -- he's 76, no need to send him out on the recruiting trail, let him focus on coaching players and assisting Ollie with X's and O's and game planning.

If he's not recruiting and not head coach, his capacity to commit NCAA transgressions is very limited.

I think Larry Brown would be an awesome add to the staff.

In a vacuum, absolutely. But the optics are terrible there. And UCONN, if they're ever to get in a decent conference, really needs to toe the line in all aspects of the Athletic Department.

Reaction Score
In a vacuum, absolutely. But the optics are terrible there. And UCONN, if they're ever to get in a decent conference, really needs to toe the line in all aspects of the Athletic Department.

Also, he has made a ton of money. What could be the draw of living around Storrs and traveling to Tulsa for games?

pj

Reaction Score
Also, he has made a ton of money. What could be the draw of living around Storrs and traveling to Tulsa for games?

He gets to stay around basketball in what is effectively a part-time job (no recruiting duties, many months off) working with a head coach, KO, that he likes and respects. He gets to be a coach not only to players but coaches. If you still want to be involved in basketball but not at the same workload you were as head coach, how many better opportunities are there?

If KO knew he was available, it would make asking Glen Miller to leave easy. Let's face it, Glen was not a great recruiter. If Glen's job was to be X's and O's and game planning/scouting and advice guy, Larry Brown can do every one of those things better.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
That's possible, but I think he's a leftover from the old guard who gets occasional whispers and then fills in the blanks. I also wonder sometimes if he grasps the concept of trolling a little better than we'd like to believe. I used to think he was ~70 years old but I think it was mentioned that he was closer to 50

@Chief00 how old are you? as a range? I'm curious

Here's a recent photo of Chief.
upload_2017-3-26_20-11-10.jpeg

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Is this the fallout of record or losing Diallo in the final 2 weeks?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
It's the easiest thing in the world to be right 50% of the time.
There's a scam common in poor countries where people have a hard time getting a visa to the US. A fixer will charge someone $1,000 or more and promise a money back guarantee. He then helps them through the regular process to get their visa; nothing extra. If the mark is successful he keeps the $$$. Gives the money back if they are refused a visa. Hit one out of every ten and you can make yourself a good living in these countries.

Reminds me of Chief.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom