Off topic: New England foods | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Off topic: New England foods

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
1938A2A4-3002-4636-9147-A03E27B7FA2C.jpeg

If you live in New England,you are likely familiar with Hood dairy products, including milk, cream, and ice cream. I first experienced H.P. Hood ice cream as a college freshman. It's ok, not great. The founder's offspring and their offspring were graduates of the college.

So what? you ask. Well, as loyal alums, those old grads provided that all of us undergraduates could eat as much Hood ice cream as we pleased, at no charge, gratis, free! As typical hungry young men—co-education hadn't yet arrived—we were more than happy to accept that generosity.

It may not have been the finest ice cream, but when you are running over a hundred miles a week in cross country practice, it sure was appreciated. I consumed lots and lots of Hood ice cream, and still lost weight.

3B855428-7451-4977-BA8D-F3CDBF6D69CF.jpeg

Reaction Score

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Growing up in New England, I always ordered the same thing when dining out: Fried Clams with bellies, aka Ipswich Clams, and strawberry shortcake for dessert. ( The shortcake was biscuits.) Food we had at home included hot dogs with Boston Baked Beans, or pork and beans witha piece of porkfat, and B & M brown bread in a can.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks. It was a real question as I've never heard the term butter and sugar. I took it to literally mean butter and sugar was used after it the corn was cooked. Guessing it's a terminology thing as I know this type of corn as peaches and cream.

I actually think this is a different variety, but no doubt similar - there are hundreds of different varieties of sweet corn and quite a few with the same sort of mixed white and yellow kernels - the three most often seen here in NE are some variety (no idea which or if there are more than one) all yellow kernel, silver queen, and butter and sugar. Of course who knows what any farmer actually plants and we may be assuming butter and sugar when it might be some other similar variety. Below link is more than you ever wanted to know about corn!:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I actually think this is a different variety, but no doubt similar - there are hundreds of different varieties of sweet corn and quite a few with the same sort of mixed white and yellow kernels - the three most often seen here in NE are some variety (no idea which or if there are more than one) all yellow kernel, silver queen, and butter and sugar. Of course who knows what any farmer actually plants and we may be assuming butter and sugar when it might be some other similar variety. Below link is more than you ever wanted to know about corn!:
Words fail me. I like corn. I'm sure I prefer the better varieties. Unfortunately, I have to settle for what is available.

Yes, the term butter and sugar was used in NJ as well. White corn was generally just called white corn.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
View attachment 76298

If you live in New England,you are likely familiar with Hood dairy products, including milk, cream, and ice cream. I first experienced H.P. Hood ice cream as a college freshman. It's ok, not great. The founder's offspring and their offspring were graduates of the college.

So what? you ask. Well, as loyal alums, those old grads provided that all of us undergraduates could eat as much Hood ice cream as we pleased, at no charge, gratis, free! As typical hungry young men—co-education hadn't yet arrived—we were more than happy to accept that generosity.

It may not have been the finest ice cream, but when you are running over a hundred miles a week in cross country practice, it sure was appreciated. I consumed lots and lots of Hood ice cream, and still lost weight.

View attachment 76299

When i first saw a reference to Hood milk years ago , i just assumed it was the milk they sold in impoverished neighborhoods in certain parts of the country. Silly me :oops:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
When i first saw a reference to Hood milk years ago , i just assumed it was the milk they sold in impoverished neighborhoods in certain parts of the country. Silly me :oops:
first reaction: that's it? that's what u got and bring to this noble conversation of our autochton sustinence? that's it?!?!
second reaction: ok, that's kinda funny...

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
When we moved from CT to central Florida 5.5 years ago, we wondered if some of our favorite foods would be here in the South and would they past the taste test. It took some time but yea, we found New England food.

Corn - it's corn on the cob season right now. Saturday and Sunday was white corn. Last night was butter and sugar. One of the nice things about were we live is a farmer's market every Monday and Friday. Fresh veggies every time.

Italian - took a while but found two really great Italian restaurants. Both are family owned and operated.

Pizza - we found a really good one after about 2 years. Nothing fancy as restaurants go but the food is so damn good. And not just the pizza. In our community, we have many, many "northerners" who complain that there is no good pizza in our area.

And seafood. Well here we have an advantage. We have my wife's grandmother's recipe for for Rhode Island Red chowder and clam cakes. We order Kenyon's clam cake mix, store it in the frig and make it when we want. Going to make some "chowda" with clam cakes next week. Now is the time with corn on the cob in season. There are seafood suppliers in the area so we can get clams. The seafood suppliers are close so I can drive and get not only clams, but steamers, sea scallops, large size shrimp and wild salmon - all fresh. And the big plus, Celebration Town Tavern is about a 35 minute drive for us. True New England/ Boston seafood. Their sister restaurant is Kelly's Landing in Boston. They have the best whole belly clams. The place is always packed - 7 days a week!!! And I always have a nice cold Sam Adams - on tap in a 20 ounce glass!!!!

Reaction Score
My ex-husband was stationed in Groton at the Sub Base when we first married. We lived in Groton for a while, then Ledyard, then Groton again. (My son was actually born at Lawrence and Memorial in New London). First time I ever had clam chowder was at New England Clam Chowder at Crystal Mall in Waterford. LOL. I'm sure that wasn't exactly a gourmet introduction to clam chowder but I actually liked it. :D

Boy. Just thinking about that one single, seemingly inconsequential, moment in my life is taking me on a serious stroll down Memory Lane.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
roast turkey.
luv, luv, luv that stuff. have it all the time. having it tonite, slow roasted on an outdoor fire, if the dang wind calms down a bit.
they're thankful for it too.

thanksgiving.jpg

(pro tip: and while they're as common as raspberries, treenuts, clams, and bears around these parts, don't go out and whack one in the yard, cuz they don't taste as good as the store bought stuff. i ain't too fond of the local, backyard, free range eggs either. they don't come with an expiration date.)
a cryin shame, i tell u. a cryin shame.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
When we moved from CT to central Florida 5.5 years ago, we wondered if some of our favorite foods would be here in the South and would they past the taste test. It took some time but yea, we found New England food.

Corn - it's corn on the cob season right now. Saturday and Sunday was white corn. Last night was butter and sugar. One of the nice things about were we live is a farmer's market every Monday and Friday. Fresh veggies every time.

Italian - took a while but found two really great Italian restaurants. Both are family owned and operated.

Pizza - we found a really good one after about 2 years. Nothing fancy as restaurants go but the food is so damn good. And not just the pizza. In our community, we have many, many "northerners" who complain that there is no good pizza in our area.

And seafood. Well here we have an advantage. We have my wife's grandmother's recipe for for Rhode Island Red chowder and clam cakes. We order Kenyon's clam cake mix, store it in the frig and make it when we want. Going to make some "chowda" with clam cakes next week. Now is the time with corn on the cob in season. There are seafood suppliers in the area so we can get clams. The seafood suppliers are close so I can drive and get not only clams, but steamers, sea scallops, large size shrimp and wild salmon - all fresh. And the big plus, Celebration Town Tavern is about a 35 minute drive for us. True New England/ Boston seafood. Their sister restaurant is Kelly's Landing in Boston. They have the best whole belly clams. The place is always packed - 7 days a week!!! And I always have a nice cold Sam Adams - on tap in a 20 ounce glass!!!!
kinda hard to approve a post with 'rhode island red chowder' innit, but i did anyway.
i blame the new yakkers and their first entrance into Newport for that abomination. nuthin more than vegetable soup with a few quahogs tossed in so they could feel local. posers.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
kinda hard to approve a post with 'rhode island red chowder' innit, but i did anyway.
i blame the new yakkers and their first entrance into Newport for that abomination. nuthin more than vegetable soup with a few quahogs tossed in so they could feel local. posers.

I get your reaction - BUT - grandmother's recipe is anything but vegetable soup with quahogs tossed in. Now I have to find the recipe. I will return to post.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I get your reaction - BUT - grandmother's recipe is anything but vegetable soup with quahogs tossed in. Now I have to find the recipe. I will return to post.
I have had the Rhode Island Red, which, as advertised by the restaurant, was essentially a mix of Manhattan and New England Chowders. While it was quite tasty, my wife only eats Manhattan Chowder and I prefer New England. That said, since it is almost impossible to get Manhattan here in Tucson, I have often gotten it when traveling.

There is a local variety of chowder in Saint Augustine, FL that we had on a trip years ago that was positively wonderful, but this many years later I don't remember the details. Not New England style.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
roast turkey.
luv, luv, luv that stuff. have it all the time. having it tonite, slow roasted on an outdoor fire, if the dang wind calms down a bit.
they're thankful for it too.

thanksgiving.jpg

(pro tip: and while they're as common as raspberries, treenuts, clams, and bears around these parts, don't go out and whack one in the yard, cuz they don't taste as good as the store bought stuff. i ain't too fond of the local, backyard, free range eggs either. they don't come with an expiration date.)
a cryin shame, i tell u. a cryin shame.

'having it tonite, slow roasted on an outdoor fire,'

yep. tasty. backslaps all around.
the scene: 4 adults, outdoor.
the menu:
one bird, 12-14 pounds, oil and buttered, salt, black pepper, rosemary. stuck on a pole, placed over wood fire. turned whenever sumone walked by.
couple of big bags of tortilla chips, dumped onto a sheet pan. liberally covered with scamozz and provolone. splashed with olive oil, then salt, black pepper, thyme. put into hot oven turned off, 15minutes before chowtime.
couple of heads of iceberg, block chopped.
bowl of cukes, half cut chopped.
bowl of garlic stuffed green olives.
dressing- mayo and ketchup, some pickle juice, touch of lemonjuice, dried garlic and onion powder, salt, and white pepper.
large hacking french knife, plates and bowls, napkins, silverware.

here, cut urself a slab, grab sum cheesed tortillas, and a bowl of salad.
pitchers full of ice water.
dessert. drakes apple and cherry pies. it's amazing how many people say 'they never buy them' yet seem to enjoy them quite a lot when they're there. amazing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In reading the descriptions more carefully, I notice the article neglects to mention that Louis’s is the originator of the steamed hamburger, which seems to be specific to New Haven county.

Oh, man, I miss my grandmother’s rhubarb pie, made with fresh rhubarb from the garden. If you guys want it, I’ll share her hermit recipe with you. @JRRRJ

The failure to mention Shady Glen is astonishing! Fresh peach ice cream! Yum yum!
The steamed cheeseburger originated at Ted's Steamed Cheeseburgers in Meriden.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Never heard of corn on the cob with sugar before. Is it as simple as combining the butter and sugar or is there a trick to it? And would brown sugar work better than refined? With the Canadian long weekend coming in a couple weeks, I'd like to try it with the ribs I plan on cooking.
My mom would put a little bit of sugar in the water when she boiled her corn on the cob.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My ex-husband was stationed in Groton at the Sub Base when we first married. We lived in Groton for a while, then Ledyard, then Groton again. (My son was actually born at Lawrence and Memorial in New London). First time I ever had clam chowder was at New England Clam Chowder at Crystal Mall in Waterford. LOL. I'm sure that wasn't exactly a gourmet introduction to clam chowder but I actually liked it. :D

Boy. Just thinking about that one single, seemingly inconsequential, moment in my life is taking me on a serious stroll down Memory Lane.
I'm hungry, now...specifically for the Lobster Pot in P-Town.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom