Off topic: New England foods | The Boneyard

Off topic: New England foods

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yum yum yum. I’ve had most of these. I like Florida a lot but desperately miss fresh corn on the cob (butter & sugar, not Silver Queen) and the smell of freshly made cider donuts on a crisp fall day.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I am totally with you on butter & sugar corn. There’s nothing like it in Maryland.

As a resident of Maryland, I have to call BS on crab cakes being a New England thing. Yes, they exist in NE, but down here they’re a way of life. Not my cuppa. The list should have just stopped at lobster rolls and clam cakes in the same vein.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In reading the descriptions more carefully, I notice the article neglects to mention that Louis’s is the originator of the steamed hamburger, which seems to be specific to New Haven county.

Oh, man, I miss my grandmother’s rhubarb pie, made with fresh rhubarb from the garden. If you guys want it, I’ll share her hermit recipe with you. @JRRRJ

The failure to mention Shady Glen is astonishing! Fresh peach ice cream! Yum yum!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In reading the descriptions more carefully, I notice the article neglects to mention that Louis’s is the originator of the steamed hamburger, which seems to be specific to New Haven county.

Oh, man, I miss my grandmother’s rhubarb pie, made with fresh rhubarb from the garden. If you guys want it, I’ll share her hermit recipe with you.

The failure to mention Shady Glen is astonishing! Fresh peach ice cream! Yum yum!
Interesting that corn on the cob is not listed. (And the trick with it is of course to boil the water in the cornfield so it is fresh picked when it goes in. Some farmers are unfortunate enough to have their corn field across the road from their house and having picked the ears end up having to discard them when a passing car slows their run to the house.)

Love it boiled, love it on the grill in its husk.

My Shaddy Glen flavor was Mint Chocolate Chip and I loved the crispy cheese on their cheeseburgers.

Had a forestry professor friend of the family that did a fall cookout pot luck every year - he dug a pit, put in a large iron pot of baked beans and surrounded it with ears of corn, then built a huge bonfire on top. When the fire burnt down he opened the pit and the feasting began!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
blueberry muffins, cider, boston cream pie, brown bread, indian pudding,
clam fritters, parker house rolls, shad, corn chowder, cranberry sauce, smoked blue fish, boston beans, fluffernutter, harvard (pickled) beets, grapenut pudding, hoodsies, jimmies, cape cahd chips, ben and jerrys, hermits, pumpkin pie, salt cod, steamahs, toll house cookies, lobstah rolls, pez, potato bread, yankee pot roast, whoopie pies,
blueberries.
cranberries.
raspberries.
white oak acorn flour.
herring.
potatos.
swordfish.
maple.
birch beer.
hamburgers.
pizza.

(off the top of my head...)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course the list included one of the only two forms of legitimate pizza, the other being NY. Don’t even start with that ridiculous Chicago nonsense!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was watching a tv show based in Boston and they were at a place called Lobstah On A Roll. Their specialty is a 5 foot Lobstah Roll, feeds 40 to 50. The ingredients are simple: 9lbs of lobster, romaine lettuce, mayo on their specialty roll. I would settle for a normal size roll if I were ever to go to Boston again.

When I lived in MA, I too loved my Grandmother's and Mother's fresh rhubarb pie!!!! Yummy.

Reaction Score
I was watching a tv show based in Boston and they were at a place called Lobstah On A Roll. Their specialty is a 5 foot Lobstah Roll, feeds 40 to 50. The ingredients are simple: 9lbs of lobster, romaine lettuce, mayo on their specialty roll. I would settle for a normal size roll if I were ever to go to Boston again.
That’s lobster salad roll, not a lobster roll.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Good lists. They omitted a few important items, such as Teddie's Peanut Butter and that springtime delight, fiddleheads. And haddock stew.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

When I lived in MA, I too loved my Grandmother's and Mother's fresh rhubarb pie!!!! Yummy.
Sorry no mayo only butter on a lobster roll

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
peeping.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
oops, forgot a biggie.
sfogliatelle, cannoli, wedding cake, eggplant parm, veal saltimboca, spaghetti and meatba...... aw, fughettabootit, italian food, and u know it.
just ask the rest of the nation. they always seem to complain aboot not having it.

gulash, poppy seed pastry, sauerbraten, kielbasa, pirogis, fresh baked pita, escargot, carib food, ....
i travel enuf to know that these longtime new england staples ain't so easy to just run out and find in many locales.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
oops, forgot a biggie.
sfogliatelle, cannoli, wedding cake, eggplant parm, veal saltimboca, spaghetti and meatba...... aw, fughettabootit, italian food, and u know it.
just ask the rest of the nation. they always seem to complain aboot not having it.

gulash, poppy seed pastry, sauerbraten, kielbasa, pirogis, fresh baked pita, escargot, carib food, ....
i travel enuf to know that these longtime new england staples ain't so easy to just run out and find in many locales.
Add NJ to the larger "New England". I think NJ lacks some of the seafood more common in Mass and I know there are other "true" regional dishes - but corn on the cob and the berries extend into NJ; certainly Italian Food is common (every small town has at least one local Italian Joint, our small town boasted "Bella Roma" and where we lived before was "Dusal's". I don't think the ethnic Polish food is necessarily limited in scope, you can find a place in most areas. That said, the really good restaurant here in Tucson went out of business shortly after we arrived; the Polish Cottage is supposedly very good but we don't really care for their menu as much as the one that went out.

Reaction Score

I won’t enter into the debate over how a lobster or “lobstah” roll should be prepared (Aside: warm with melted butter is correct for a lobster roll). What I don’t understand is what the place considers a serving size. “Feeding 40-50 people with a 5 foot long sandwich allots a 1.2-1.5 slice per person. I don’ blame you for wanting a normal size roll.

Reaction Score

Oh, man, I miss my grandmother’s rhubarb pie, made with fresh rhubarb from the garden. If you guys want it, I’ll share her hermit recipe with you. @JRRRJ

Louis's is not a steamed burger. It's grilled vertically in their special contraption.

Reaction Score
Never heard of corn on the cob with sugar before. Is it as simple as combining the butter and sugar or is there a trick to it? And would brown sugar work better than refined? With the Canadian long weekend coming in a couple weeks, I'd like to try it with the ribs I plan on cooking.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
two more local foods that are popular.
subway, born in Bridgeport. it keeps refreshing, and refreshing, ....
dunkies, born in Quincy. America runs on it.

tuna is pretty good around here as well. heck, they even have a tv show aboot yankee bluefin chasers.
sea scallops, bay scallops, that squid stuff people seem to turn into fried rubber bands, brook trout, 'shosh kifli' (salted and seeded crescent rolls from a magyar perspective), cod cakes, Vermont cheddah, venison, ...
and, while born in Harlem, they quickly opened up in Roxbury, soon to be followed by

A Dandy Snack

Yankee Doodles® cakes originated from the Yankee Cake Company in Providence, Rhode Island, which later merged with Drake Bakeries.
i mean, they're freakin called "Yankee' doodles.

so, as a yuge fan of their stuff, im tossing drakes into the 'local foods' bin. delish.
cott soda (anything east of the Hudson is New England in my book), pepperidge farms, newmans own, munsons chocolate, friendlys ice cream, brighams ice cream, arnolds bread, ...

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Avery's Beverages in New Britain, CT still makes old fashioned Birch Beer and many other sodas using real cane sugar.
It's sold all over the country and they'll even ship it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Never heard of corn on the cob with sugar before. Is it as simple as combining the butter and sugar or is there a trick to it? And would brown sugar work better than refined? With the Canadian long weekend coming in a couple weeks, I'd like to try it with the ribs I plan on cooking.
If this is a real question ... butter and sugar is a specific corn variety that has a mixture of white and yellow kernels hence butter (yellow) and sugar (white) - silver queen another variety is all white and almost translucent kernels.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
one more - crackers.
'Pearson & Sons Bakery opened in Massachusetts in 1792, and they made a biscuit called pilot bread for consumption on long sea voyages.'
Nabisco - Wikipedia
'pilot bread' - hardtack, uneeda biscuit.

portuguese sweet bread, gaspar's (linguica, etc), oyster crackers (The Westminster Cracker Company, currently of Rutland, Vermont, has been making oyster crackers since 1828), mussels, ....

Reaction Score
If this is a real question ... butter and sugar is a specific corn variety that has a mixture of white and yellow kernels hence butter (yellow) and sugar (white) - silver queen another variety is all white and almost translucent kernels.
Thanks. It was a real question as I've never heard the term butter and sugar. I took it to literally mean butter and sugar was used after it the corn was cooked. Guessing it's a terminology thing as I know this type of corn as peaches and cream.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom