Of 3 to See, who has highest potential? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Of 3 to See, who has highest potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand the mania for BG's dunks.
If an athletic 6-8 woman couldn't dunk, then that would be a issue.
Big deal!
And for 6'8", the dunks are barely over the rim. How athletic is that for her height.

Reaction Score
my 2-cents: Diggins isn't the most impressive player on her own team, anymore. (although she deserves first team AA status). EDD: WNBA all-star, quickly. Griner: puts Tina C out of the olympic starting lineup. as for blowouts, our favorite announcer C Peck took a shot at Geno, something to the effect of Geno can't win by enough...

Reaction Score
my 2-cents: Diggins isn't the most impressive player on her own team, anymore. (although she deserves first team AA status). EDD: WNBA all-star, quickly. Griner: puts Tina C out of the olympic starting lineup. as for blowouts, our favorite announcer C Peck took a shot at Geno, something to the effect of Geno can't win by enough...

From my view, he can't :D

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Baylor lost this year when they didn't have the point guard O Sims. I think for Griner to be exceptional she needs to have a good supporting cast at least in the point guard spot. She will do well but she needs to be fed the ball.
I saw true grit in EDD last night, and Diggins well that goes without saying. It's a tough call who will be the best of these 3 really...JMO

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who were they playing? was it a close game or a way over matched opponent?

If she waited until she were playing a team that wasn't way overmatched she would only try to dunk against UCONN.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Pretty much my point - I can see why the opposing coach was upset. 1 dunk okay but 3 dumks against a very overmatched opponent...not cool imo and just less impressive then if she Had she dunked against UConn.
yeah I would've been un happy yet understanding in such a highly fought game.

I understand it's the last home game etcetera etcetera...

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score

Peck is not on my list of Top 25 of who has the most potential among WCBB announcers. I think Lawson is very good, and being paired with Peck makes her look and sound even that much better.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Della Donne to me looks slow, out of shape, and fragile, physically and mentally. I'd be concerned

You see her tonight, you really think so?
I did. I hadn't watched before and I attributed much of her success to being a big fish in a small pond, but man that girl can play. I was impressed. I think her dad is correct that UConn likely has two more championships if she had stayed.

Reaction Score
Out of the three, I think Brittney Griner does have the highest potential. I think there will be an adjustment period (as there is for *anyone*), but I think that playing on a team that has Candice Dupree, DeWanna Bonner, Penny Taylor...oh, and Diana Taurasi will allow her to just do her thing and not worry about doing *everything* on a nightly basis. I don't think she'll go down as the greatest player ever, in my opinion.

EDD, who will have the opportunity to play alongside Fowles will no longer have to carry the load. She's as smooth as a guard with the height of a center. She's very good and will achieve great success.

Skylar Diggins will have a solid WNBA career, but she'll have to learn quickly that driving among the trees won't work as well as it did at the college level. She'll get bumped and hit more than she has, and it won't be called as often.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I think this is an interesting question and the only thing certain to me is the answer being uncertain. I think it fair to compare Griner to Abdul-Jabbar in terms of their dominant impact on the game. Yet no one talks about Jabbar as the best ever, though we can forgive ETT his homerism. Either Jordan or now James is most often lifted up in that best ever category, though perhaps Kibitzer might throw Russell into that consideration as well. As for Jordan and James, EDD comes closest to their skill sets, Diggins comes closest to their will and toughness. For that matter, let's toss Magic into the discussion. Jabbar goes down, no problem. Johnson just takes over playing center for him. Johnson goes down and that Lakers team is sunk.

Griner will likely be joining Taurasi, very comparable to Jabbar and Johnson teaming up together. In a sense that will get in the way of the comparisons. I expect Phoenix to be very hard to beat with that combination and obviously it won't be just because Griner carries them. On the other hand, if the EDD or Diggins teams perform at the same level as Phoenix, that likely favors the comparison of either player over Griner. In a sense, by teaming up with Taurasi, Griner is in a no-win situation in terms of ever being considered best player ever. It will not be until those two are apart that Griner will get best ever consideration if she deserves it.

Reaction Score
Not one team would take EDD over Griner....NONE. No disrespect to EDD but BG will go down as the greatest player in history by the time she is done.

No, not one. Only two. Chicago and Connecticut have high-quality centers and a desperate need for wing-forward scoring, so if either of them had the overall #1 I could easily see them using it on EDD. As it is, Chicago will be able to get EDD with its overall #2. Outside those two, with their specific circumstances, I would agree any other team with the overall #1 would take BG.

As far as ESPN's "Three to Market for Our WNBA Coverage This Summer", leaving possible injury/health issues aside, I'd say BG is the one that long-term will be the most dominant. Griner and Diggins will come in at the positions it takes the longest to grow into, so it is very possible in the first year or two EDD may have the most early-career impact. Long-term, however, it's not impossible, in fact not unlikely, that she'll have the least lasting impact. The reason it takes longer for 1s and 5s to develop is that those are the two positions with the most multi-faceted impact on the game, and as BG and SD grow into their pro roles, they'll simply have more opportunity for impact than the 3/4 EDD.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
People over/underestimate how well some players do in the WNBA....only time will tell, really.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I've even seen Griner pressed recently...so far she turns it on in the last 10 minutes and voila...

EDD...showed me a lot versus UNC...if she was going to collapse in the 2nd half, a half of banging with Xylina and Waltea should've done the trick...if the Blue Hens can hang the same way against UK, we'll see if EDD can shut down Stallworth...if she does that and gets her points, no reason she doesn't get picked up by Chicago based on what I've seen...

Skylar...if she gets the Irish to another final, I think she answers the legitimate questions we all had coming into this year...she's a great team leader and therefore a great player...even if she doesn't get past UConn, she gets my third pick in the draft...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My guess would be Griner followed by Diggens. I wonder how Delle Donne will hold up after a few years of pro ball grind - WNBA, Europe, Olympics . . .

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
My guess would be Griner followed by Diggens. I wonder how Delle Donne will hold up after a few years of pro ball grind - WNBA, Europe, Olympics . . .

She may, as other have, choose to do only some of the pro leagues...

Reaction Score
out of them? Griner Hand down, that being the case, I hope I am wrong. would love for Diggens to be the best of them. If she was on UCONN I would love her. as of now? I hope she fails miserably :)

Reaction Score
BG, SD and EDD in that order.

But that isn't what I came in to say, really. Our very own Breanna Stewart is physically similar to EDD and she could have guard moves that are quite equivalent. B's shot isn't quite there yet, but she has 3 years to get there. One drawback is that UCONN doesn't rely on a single player, thus the opportunities for prolific scoring may not be there for B.

Bottom line is that I hope the version of EDD that came to stay here for awhile will be as good as the one who, for understandable reasons, chose to return to small wonder state.

Reaction Score
Griner is the only correct answer to this question. I think the term "revolutionary talent" gets thrown around far too often, but in this case, it's applicable. She'll be the Bill Russell of the women's game by the time her career's done.

After Griner, I'd take EDD in a landslide over Skylar - her combination of size and skill reminds me so much of Dirk Nowitzki, and it will be a lot of fun watching her play with some real talent. Skylar will be a very good pro, but her turnovers, horrible shot selection and constant reaching will be exposed in the W.

One thing is for certain: there will be a lot of must-watch matchups in the WNBA this season. I haven't said that since the Comets-Sparks rivalry ended.

Reaction Score
Not one team would take EDD over Griner....NONE. No disrespect to EDD but BG will go down as the greatest player in history by the time she is done.

Britney Griner is not and will never be the greatest player ever. She may become the greatest center ever, but she will never be the greatest. Names like Miller, Taurasi, and Parker come to mind. D won 3 titles in college, the last two with a cast of very good players but not one that was great or near great. She's also won WNBA titles, Olympic Gold Medals, and overseas championships. D is the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom