Of 3 to See, who has highest potential? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Of 3 to See, who has highest potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She is a tremendous player just not among the greatest just like Sue.

Sadly I would not put Sue in the conversation (see my screen name if you doubt my love of Sue) but Jackson is one of the best ever without question. 3 MVP awards 2 championships 5 time all star (all first teams) crazy amounts of overseas awards. I think people don’t give her credit because she is not American. Diana (another player I love and think should be in the conversation) has one MVP and one championship and we are not questioning her place among the best ever. Both have one playoff mvp as well

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner is so far away from the being the best player ever that I'm not sure why we're having this debate yet?

It could very well happen, but this is a conversation we should be having in 5-10 years - not before she's ever played a pro/Olympic game.

Agreed. IMO she is the greatest college player ever and that is certainly debatable as there have been many greats. I think she will end up in the GOAT conversation down the road but that road is really long, as you have pointed out.

Reaction Score
Agreed. IMO she is the greatest college player ever and that is certainly debatable as there have been many greats. I think she will end up in the GOAT conversation down the road but that road is really long, as you have pointed out.
I'm a pretty big Griner apologist (for this board at least), but I don't really think there's an argument to be made for Griner being the greatest college player ever. The most unique? Definitely. But not the greatest.

Griner will have, at most, two championships and three Final Fours. Considering the lack of parity in the women's game, she loses major points for missing the FF her sophomore season.

I really don't see how you can argue Griner over Tauarsi (3 NC, 4 FFs, a 70-game win streak) or Holdsclaw (3 NCs, 2 FFs, 4-time All-American). And there's a case to be made for putting her behind the likes of Cheryl Miller (first real household name in WCBB), Candace Parker and Maya Moore (Maya lost 4 times in her collegiate career. I repeat: 4 times).

Personally, I would have Griner #3 on my list, ahead of Maya and Cheryl but behind Taurasi/Holdsclaw. But the best ever? Nah.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm a pretty big Griner apologist (for this board at least), but I don't really think there's an argument to be made for Griner being the greatest college player ever. The most unique? Definitely. But not the greatest.

Griner will have, at most, two championships and three Final Fours. Considering the lack of parity in the women's game, she loses major points for missing the FF her sophomore season.

I really don't see how you can argue Griner over Tauarsi (3 NC, 4 FFs, a 70-game win streak) or Holdsclaw (3 NCs, 2 FFs, 4-time All-American). And there's a case to be made for putting her behind the likes of Cheryl Miller (first real household name in WCBB), Candace Parker and Maya Moore (Maya lost 4 times in her collegiate career. I repeat: 4 times).

How about leading scorer in NCAA history (very attainable), leading shot blocker in NCAA history, and two national championships (very possible).

Her individual stats on offense and defense make her the most dominant female to ever play at the college level. I understand why it is hard for many to acknowledge her greatness while she is still playing. And it seems many can't acknowledge her greatness due to personal dislike for her.

But, just a biased opinion. DT was certainly one of the all-time greats.

Reaction Score
And it seems many can't acknowledge her greatness due to personal dislike for her.

For many people that might be the case. Not for me - I've become a Griner fan.

But if your argument for why Griner is the greatest ever is that she's the NCAA's all-time scoring and shot blocking leader, then it will be easy for me to argue Taurasi's case: 3 National Championships, 4 Final Fours, 2 FF Most Outstanding Player awards. She was the best player on arguably the best team of all time (2002), before carrying two teams on her back.

I don't think people realize how incredible Taurasi's 2002-03 season was. That team lost four starters to the draft (who, by the way, were the #1, 2, 4 and 6 picks), started three freshmen, lost its starting point guard halfway through the year, had zero seniors...and still won its first 31 games of the season en route to the title.

Oh, and after Taurasi, that team had no one near as talented as Sims. The only player from that roster who's still in the WNBA is Jessica Moore, and she's an end-of-the-bencher.

By the time Griner's career is over, her entire body of work might be better than Taurasi's. But even with a championship this season, she won't be able to touch DT's college resume.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
EDD. Yes, Griner can dunk, and block shots however, a dunk is only two points. EDD can do it all, and I think she hasn't reached her full potential yet.

Don't get me wrong Griner is a amazing player, but her offensive skill set is very limited. I will say this, Phoenix will be the best team in the West this year, Chicago(if they draft EDD) will be the best team in the East.

I'm calling it right now Phoenix VS. Chicago for the WNBA title. :D

Also the Rookie Of The Year will come down to Griner and EDD, I think.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
How about leading scorer in NCAA history (very attainable), leading shot blocker in NCAA history, and two national championships (very possible).

Her individual stats on offense and defense make her the most dominant female to ever play at the college level. I understand why it is hard for many to acknowledge her greatness while she is still playing. And it seems many can't acknowledge her greatness due to personal dislike for her.

Let's not forget that it would be very unlikely that Griner would have had the chance to break the NCAA scoring record if it wasn't for Delle Donne missing 22 games in her career. If she had played those games she most likely would have smashed the record to bits and put it out of reach for Griner.

That said, wishing Griner luck in breaking it. But don't think she will.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For many people that might be the case. Not for me - I've become a Griner fan.

But if your argument for why Griner is the greatest ever is that she's the NCAA's all-time scoring and shot blocking leader, then it will be easy for me to argue Taurasi's case: 3 National Championships, 4 Final Fours, 2 FF Most Outstanding Player awards. She was the best player on arguably the best team of all time (2002), before carrying two teams on her back.

I don't think people realize how incredible Taurasi's 2002-03 season was. That team lost four starters to the draft (who, by the way, were the #1, 2, 4 and 6 picks), started three freshmen, lost its starting point guard halfway through the year, had zero seniors...and still won its first 31 games of the season en route to the title.

Oh, and after Taurasi, that team had no one near as talented as Sims. The only player from that roster who's still in the WNBA is Jessica Moore, and she's an end-of-the-bencher.

By the time Griner's career is over, her entire body of work might be better than Taurasi's. But even with a championship this season, she won't be able to touch DT's college resume.

Fans should think their player is the best ever. That's what fans do.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Let's not forget that it would be very unlikely that Griner would have had the chance to break the NCAA scoring record if it wasn't for Delle Donne missing 22 games in her career. If she had played those games she most likely would have smashed the record to bits and put it out of reach for Griner.

That said, wishing Griner luck in breaking it. But don't think she will.

Just imagine how many points BG would have scored had she switched places with EDD. Had EDD gone to Baylor or UCONN and played against top D1 talent night in and out she would most likely have scored far fewer points. We'll never know, which is a shame.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Baylor lost this year when they didn't have the point guard O Sims. I think for Griner to be exceptional she needs to have a good supporting cast at least in the point guard spot. She will do well but she needs to be fed the ball.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

But isn't that true of any elite post player? You need to make sure you can feed the ball into the post - otherwise you are relying too much on offensive rebounds and putbacks to score points. Name me one post player who has excelled without a great point guard by her side...

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Just imagine how many points BG would have scored had she switched places with EDD. Had EDD gone to Baylor or UCONN and played against top D1 talent night in and out she would most likely have scored far fewer points. We'll never know, which is a shame.

I actually don't think this would be the case. As a post player, Griner has to be feed the ball constantly. EDD can get her shot off by herself. So I don't think Griner would be averaging more points than EDD if she went to Delaware.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I actually don't think this would be the case. As a post player, Griner has to be feed the ball constantly. EDD can get her shot off by herself. So I don't think Griner would be averaging more points than EDD if she went to Delaware.

Would have been interesting to see what her numbers would have been playing against that level of talent and for a coach who is willing to have one player carry most of the load. BG would have shot 25+ times a game and her shooting % probably would have been hovering around 65 to 70%.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Had Griner gone to UConn she would not have near the amount of points she has now; she likely would not have as much as Moore. I suspect EDD would have scored more at UConn than would Griner. You don't think Moore or Taurasi were capable of breaking the scoring record if their roles were different? I'm beginning to think you don't realize how much this is a guard's game, or at least a point forward's. The center does not make the decisions that are going to win or lose the game, or determine how the scoring is distributed.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Had Griner gone to UConn she would not have near the amount of points she has now; she likely would not have as much as Moore. I suspect EDD would have scored more at UConn than would Griner. You don't think Moore or Taurasi were capable of breaking the scoring record if their roles were different? I'm beginning to think you don't realize how much this is a guard's game, or at least a point forward's. The center does not make the decisions that are going to win or lose the game, or determine how the scoring is distributed.

I think the fact that this is a guard dominated game makes BG's scoring even more impressive. She has not had the luxury of running down the court and jacking up a shot at any time.

And I agree that EDD would have scored more at UCONN than BG as Geno is demonstrating this year that even with a post player shooting near 60% from the floor that he prefers to run the offense through the guards.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
But isn't that true of any elite post player? You need to make sure you can feed the ball into the post - otherwise you are relying too much on offensive rebounds and putbacks to score points. Name me one post player who has excelled without a great point guard by her side...

exactly...without Sims yet with Griner, Baylor lost

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How is EDD going to fare in the WNBA if she can't shoot better than 38% in the NCAA tourney? The defenders on the perimeter are much bigger and faster in the WNBA and she won't get fouled on those drives to the basket.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How is EDD going to fare in the WNBA if she can't shoot better than 38% in the NCAA tourney? The defenders on the perimeter are much bigger and faster in the WNBA and she won't get fouled on those drives to the basket.
Because she will see less double teaming and triple teaming than she does in college.

Reaction Score
Sorry to see Delaware lose, truly. In the event UConn should stumble, I was hoping Delaware would be there in the FF. I would hate losing to MD or KY. But Delaware reminds me of UConn with Rebecca Lobo carrying them to places they had never been. And it would have been fun to see Delaware play UConn, should we be lucky enough to win against MD. I admit to being very nervous about the turtles.

What happens with ESPNs 3 to see? Will it become 2 to view?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom