October UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

October UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Am I reading these correctly: Paige is #2 in the 2020 class?

McCormick's had Cardoso #1 in her class for at least a couple years. What I've seen of her doesn't make me think she's a more special talent than Paige, but he's not the only one that ranks her first. Premiere Basketball Report also has her #1.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
McCormick's had Cardoso #1 in her class for at least a couple years. What I've seen of her doesn't make me think she's a more special talent than Paige, but he's not the only one that ranks her first. Premiere Basketball Report also has her #1.

Well, I guess you can't beat height.

Oops. Never mind

1572460323415.png

Reaction Score
It’s funny how Kamilla isn’t even ranked number 2 on other services yet jumps over the other recruits! How is that??? Just asking for a friend.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Prospects Nation apparently won't chime in on Edwards' verbal either. None of their people--Hansen, Moore, Clay, Hemingway--have mentioned it, and she doesn't get a ranking at their site, not even on the school commit list.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Prospects Nation apparently won't chime in on Edwards' verbal either. None of their people--Hansen, Moore, Clay, Hemingway--have mentioned it, and she doesn't get a ranking at their site, not even on the school commit list.

With all due, before jumping on Prospects Nation and its evaluation team, it is important to keep a few things in mind.

First, Aaliyah Edwards attends high school in Canada.

Prospects Nation has separate international rankings for players outside of the United States (subject to a few exceptions). Below are the links for the ranked classes of international prospects by Prospects Nation:
2013 PN International Rankings
2014 PN International Rankings
2015 PN International Rankings
2016 PN International Rankings
2017 PN International Rankings
2018 PN International Rankings

This appears to be how Prospects Nation ranked Canadian/international players -- or at least those who attended high school outside of the United States. Note that Kia Nurse was the #1 ranked international player in the 2014 PN International Rankings. And Bridget Carleton (Iowa State) was ranked as the 9th best international prospect in 2015.

Second, Prospects Nation did not, however, release international player rankings for 2019. For the 2019 recruiting class, South Carolina received a commitment from an elite Canadian prospect -- Laeticia Amihere. But Prospects Nation did not list Amihere in its Elite 150 Rankings for 2019 (the top 150 HS players), nor did Prospects Nation list her in its 2019 Player Database (covering all 2019 players scouted/evaluated).

Third, scrolling through the Elite 150 Rankings for 2019, it appears that Prospects Nation did not rank any international players. The rankings are limited to players who attended high school in the United States.

It could simply be that Prospects Nation no longer scouts international prospects.

@EricLA , @ucbart , @vowelguy , @CocoHusky

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With all due, before jumping on Prospects Nation and its evaluation team, it is important to keep a few things in mind.

First, Aaliyah Edwards attends high school in Canada.

Prospects Nation has separate international rankings for players outside of the United States (subject to a few exceptions). Below are the links for the ranked classes of international prospects by Prospects Nation:
2013 PN International Rankings
2014 PN International Rankings
2015 PN International Rankings
2016 PN International Rankings
2017 PN International Rankings
2018 PN International Rankings

This appears to be how Prospects Nation ranked Canadian/international players -- or at least those who attended high school outside of the United States. Note that Kia Nurse was the #1 ranked international player in the 2014 PN International Rankings. And Bridget Carleton (Iowa State) was ranked as the 9th best international prospect in 2015.

Second, Prospects Nation did not, however, release international player rankings for 2019. For the 2019 recruiting class, South Carolina received a commitment from an elite Canadian prospect -- Laeticia Amihere. But Prospects Nation did not list Amihere in its Elite 150 Rankings for 2019 (the top 150 HS players), nor did Prospects Nation list her in its 2019 Player Database (covering all 2019 players scouted/evaluated).

Third, scrolling through the Elite 150 Rankings for 2019, it appears that Prospects Nation did not rank any international players. The rankings are limited to players who attended high school in the United States.

It could simply be that Prospects Nation no longer scouts international prospects.

The PN international have always been listed separately.
part of the confusion is that Nika Muhl is listed and Aaliyah Edwards is not. Even more confusing is that Amihere was listed for 2019. Not sure what is going on over there but I do have an old email address from past correspondence with Chris Hansen- I'll drop him a line.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I didn't think I was "jumping" on Prospects Nation. I'm well aware of everything you mentioned. However, PN certainly does scout internationals. They even specifically noted that they would be including Canadian players in with Americans starting with the 2021 class which is why Lattimore is in their top-15.

And since they've seen Lattimore they've certainly seen Edwards. PN's staff almost always mentions via Twitter when a player gives a verbal. They have not done so with Edwards.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The PN international have always been listed separately.
part of the confusion is that Nika Muhl is listed and Aaliyah Edwards is not. Even more confusing is that Amihere was listed for 2019. Not sure what is going on over there but I do have an old email address from past correspondence with Chris Hansen- I'll drop him a line.

PN is not doing the International Elite Rankings, though. It has not done them since 2018 (as I indicated in my post). But thank you for pointing out the database to be for international players.

That being said, the list of international prospects scouted and with profiles is significantly less in recent years. And there are no rankings of the international players relative to one another (or to college players), except for the general star ratings.

I didn't think I was "jumping" on Prospects Nation. I'm well aware of everything you mentioned. However, PN certainly does scout internationals.

With all due, I think you misstate what I said. You stated, "PN certainly does scout internationals" (the implication being that I said PN did not). I specifically linked six years of international prospects. What I said was that I was not sure if they had done international scouting for 2019 and beyond.

They even specifically noted that they would be including Canadian players in with Americans starting with the 2021 class which is why Lattimore is in their top-15.

I had not seen this; I must have missed this. Thank you for the information. Do you have a link?
EDITED TO ADD: I posted this right as your post with the link came through. Thank you for the link.

As an aside, if PN is starting with the 2021 class (ranking Canadian players with American prospects), why is there an expectation of there a ranking of Edwards, who is in the class of 2020?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
They have Muhl in their database and listed as part of the 2020 UConn class commits but not Edwards. It's strange no matter how you cut it.

Edwards is a top-10 talent. How can PN not acknowledge this or have anything about her on its site?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Not sure how much hand-wringing is going on, but the issue isn't just the lack of an update. It's also a recruit outlet not having anything in their database on one of the best 2020 prospects, something that falls under their reason for existing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not sure how much hand-wringing is going on, but the issue isn't just the lack of an update. It's also a recruit outlet not having anything in their database on one of the best 2020 prospects, something that falls under their reason for existing.
In my experience, many of these sports related websites are run on a shoestring budget out of someone’s kitchen. While that’s not necessarily an excuse for Hoopgurlz, in the case of Prospects Nation there appear to be 3 guys (Clay, Hansen & Hemingway) that run the site. As with most websites, their goal is to generate income from premium memberships and advertising. I have to wonder if any of the 3 consider PN their full time job.

Inevitably, for a website with a limited budget and staffing, attempting to cover all of WBB is a considerable undertaking that is bound to lead to players being overlooked or improperly evaluated. With that said, it’s still difficult to comprehend how PN could overlook Aaliyah Edwards, an exceptional talent and the youngest player on the Canadian National team.

Reaction Score
A year ago I was reading that it was the end when UConn lost on several players and only landed one. And she wasn't even a top 25. Then, after Bueckers verballed I kept reading how UConn was doomed because they have but one "big". And when one was acquired she wasn't good enough. So they get a commit from a skilled 6'2" or 6'3" power forward, the missing piece, and some are complaining that the rest of wcbb isn't on top of it.
Conn IMO has the #1 class from 2020 and still some are grousing. :rolleyes:
I know it's hard but at some point people need to stop with worry and be realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom