October UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

October UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you haven't had a chance to watch Paige Bueckers, I enplore you to go to Youtube and watch her . One of the best high-school player i have ever watched.. and the thing is she is physically unassuming. Mentally tough. and a scoring machine. I followed her all last year. It was a Treat without the Trick
Welcome to the BY. The BY has been kind of Paige's playground/showcase/champion... for about 3 years now.
I'm not sure you find many that have not seen her videos. Unless, you have new ones?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Welcome to the BY. The BY has been kind of Paige's playground/showcase/champion... for about 3 years now.
I'm not sure you find many that have not seen her videos. Unless. you have new ones?
Pretty sure there are videos of Bueckers that can ONLY be found on the BY, so you may want to use that as a means of Bueckers highlights:D

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If you haven't had a chance to watch Paige Bueckers, I enplore you to go to Youtube and watch her . One of the best high-school player i have ever watched.. and the thing is she is physically unassuming. Mentally tough. and a scoring machine. I followed her all last year. It was a Treat without the Trick
I disagree, she has A LOT of tricks in her game. She befuddled many of teams with her play be it either in scoring, passing, dribbling, and even in stealing.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Speaking of talent, Karen Aston was extended in 2016 to the end of the 19-20 season. Is this season the end of the road for her at Texas?
I honestly do not know. As unhappy as many fans are, Aston has had more success than Texas has had in decades minus the brief renaissance Coach Conradt achieved in the early 2000s. But you are right that there has been silence regarding any extension and new AD Del Conte appears to set high demands on Texas coaches. This year’s team has five high school all-Americans—3 of whom are seniors. Depth is questionable and the team already has injuries.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I honestly do not know. As unhappy as many fans are, Aston has had more success than Texas has had in decades minus the brief renaissance Coach Conradt achieved in the early 2000s. But you are right that there has been silence regarding any extension and new AD Del Conte appears to set high demands on Texas coaches. This year’s team has five high school all-Americans—3 of whom are seniors. Depth is questionable and the team already has injuries.
I'm feeling lazy today. Can you put Karen's record side by side with Gail G's? Was either decidedly better?

Reaction Score
People will say Gail G's problem was recruiting. But the end result is what counts in the end to a program isn't it? When looking at conference results, keep in mind that the Big 12 was a tougher league when Goestenkors was at Texas.

From Wiki, due to my laziness.

Overall Conf Conf F Post Season
Gail Goestenkors
2007-2008 22-13 7-9 T-7th NCAA Second Round
2008-2009 21-12 8-8 6th NCAA First Round
2009-1010 22-11 10-6 T-4th NCAA First Round
2010-11 19-14 7-9 7th NCAA First Round
2011-2012 18-14 8-10 8th NCAA First Round

Karen Aston
2012–13 12–18 5–13 8th No Post Season
2013–14 22–12 11–7 3rd NCAA 2nd Round
2014–15 24–11 9–9 T-3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2015–16 31–5 15–3 2nd NCAA Elite Eight
2016–17 25–9 15–3 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2017–18 28-7 15-3 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2018–19 23-10 12-6 3rd NCAA 1st Round

EDIT - Sorry I do not know how to format properly.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm....Hope we’re not opening up a certain can of worms about a current freshman in South Bend....:rolleyes:
I thought Brunelle's offer was allegedly pulled? One can't pulled an offer that was never extended.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought Brunelle's offer was allegedly pulled? One can't pulled an offer that was never extended.
UConn indicated there was no offer. People close to SB indicated there was.

Reaction Score
Adamec reported she was offered: Sam Brunelle hoping to set gold standard

I don't believe Adamec would report it if it wasn't true. Whether or not she had one when she committed, I'm not sure, but I do believe she held one at some point.

This has been discussed/argued/debated ad nauseam on this board! The ONLY people that know for sure whether or not Brunelle was offered, are Auriemma and Brunelle.

Reaction Score
I disagree, she has A LOT of tricks in her game. She befuddled many of teams with her play be it either in scoring, passing, dribbling, and even in stealing.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sarg: You don't disagree--you actually agree--you missed the paragraph for the final words. He said--I paraphrase: She doesn't need trick (for the Halloween) because she has the skills. On that I'm sure WE ALL agree. Now I'd never totally disagree or correct an MSGT--or a CPO (more my speed) or my Col Daughter for that matter or my Cmdr flight officer Grandson. you all have my respect for your service.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Sarg: You don't disagree--you actually agree--you missed the paragraph for the final words. He said--I paraphrase: She doesn't need trick (for the Halloween) because she has the skills. On that I'm sure WE ALL agree. Now I'd never totally disagree or correct an MSGT--or a CPO (more my speed) or my Col Daughter for that matter or my Cmdr flight officer Grandson. you all have my respect for your service.
I also watched Paige's games and I believe that half of the fun was watching all of her tricks that she used to befuddle the opposing team. They didn't know what she would do and when they played off she would hit her shots and when they tried to defend she would seem to find the open teammate for the easy one. Those I would call tricks and we were allowed to watch the treats that she dished out. I can't wait for here to do the same at UConn. She has to do her tricks for us to get our treat watching her magic.:cool::cool:

What Branch is your Daughter? Tell them both thanks for their service for me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Adamec reported she was offered: Sam Brunelle hoping to set gold standard

I don't believe Adamec would report it if it wasn't true. Whether or not she had one when she committed, I'm not sure, but I do believe she held one at some point.
I would say the same thing about Mike Anthony from the Hartford Courant who reported that UConn did not offer a scholarship to Brunelle.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would say the same thing about Mike Anthony from the Hartford Courant who indicated that UConn did not offer a scholarship to Brunelle.
Must we really rehash this?
Mike Anthony's article in the Courant appeared less than 1 hour after Samantha Brunelle announced her commitment to ND on April 15, The article went out of it's way to say she did not pick ND over UCONN, and cited sources familiar with the "process", & stated that Samantha did not have a UCONN offer. The timing and the premise that Samantha did not pick ND over UCONN should have created enough suspicion from ANYONE who was paying attention to the recruitment of Samantha Brunelle. Her recruitment included multiple unofficial visits to UCONN the last occurring around new year. I am really disappointed in Mike because if he wanted accurate sources familiar with the "process" he could have contacted me or you.

Samantha Brunelle in a article a few weeks later confirmed she had a UCONN offer. To the best of my knowledge Carl Adamec has not printed a retraction and he has sources familiar with the UCONN PROGRAM. I'm going to roll with Carl and Samantha on this one.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Must we really rehash this?
Coco, I couldn’t agree more. Somewhere back in this thread I posted what was intended to be a joke, complete with emogee :rolleyes: in response to Cat’s post. Subsequently, Sivad, DaBall & now you have followed up with questions, comments and/or outrage that I would raise the subject in the first place.

I should know better. Sometimes my humor can be lost on some of the folks around here.

Reaction Score
In addition two 2020 players, Maggie Besselink (Canadian who committed to AZ State) and Ugonne Onyiah both listed UConn as the programs who they chose their respective schools over, but I had never heard of either of them, so who knows.

My bet is that Maggie Besselink is a relation to Gerry Besselink who was an important PF/C for the men's team from 1983 to 1987. I think he also had a significant overseas pro career and if I recall correctly he imposed his will on the court in the early Calhoon charity games. Seems like we would have had at least courtesy interest based on that pedigree. He was originally from Finland I believe when he played.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Blue Star has inexplicably not had Aaliyah Edwards ranked in the 2020 class. Today they noted her commitment to UConn and gave her a 300 ranking.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger