October UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

October UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
All I know about Edwards is a few videos where her hair makes her easy to spot and that she has a UConn offer. I don't remember any interview or quote and I don't remember reading about any visits. I am not crazy about a 5 player class but Edwards is too promising to pass on. Bueckers for sure and perhaps even Muhl will be advanced enough to keep practices moving like Geno likes them.
5 players scares me a little, but considering that UConn loses 5 players after this season, adding numbers is important. Beyond the numbers, if Edwards joins the other 4 commits, the Class of 2020 could shape up as one of the best and most complete classes in the history of UConn WBB, and that’s saying quite a lot.

While it’s always problematic to project just how good HS players will be at the next level, it’s hard not to think about what this Class could be? A big athletic post with a tremendous upside. A multi-talented PF and youngest member of the Canadian National Team. An incredibly athletic wing who is being compared to the Gabulous one. The top young pg in Europe. Finally, a player with both the game and confidence level to be compared to, dare I say, DT.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All I know about Edwards is a few videos where her hair makes her easy to spot and that she has a UConn offer. I don't remember any interview or quote and I don't remember reading about any visits. I am not crazy about a 5 player class but Edwards is too promising to pass on. Bueckers for sure and perhaps even Muhl will be advanced enough to keep practices moving like Geno likes them.

They can scrimmage immediately. ;)

Reaction Score
The “Kobe Locks” I call them! She is almost always sporting them. She is a big time Kobe fan.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Edwards would be a great pickup. First Night attendance does not guarantee commitment. I know Geno has said that he likes four in a class max but how can you say no to Edwards IF she wants to come?

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Edwards would be a great pickup. First Night attendance does not guarantee commitment. I know Geno has said that he likes four in a class max but how can you say no to Edwards IF she want to come?

You don't. She wouldn't be invited to First Night if UConn wasn't significantly interested. I can't recall any uncommitted rising seniors coming to the event ever.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I say that if Bueckers likes her then I like her. And Bueckers seems to get along with everyone.
Getting a little ahead of myself here, but if that should happen, then a possible starting lineup in 2023-24 would be:

PG: Paige
SG: Nika
SF: Mir
PF: Aliyah
C: Piath

Not that this is the likely lineup in that year, since there will be younger players who might well crack the lineup (one in particular as you can imagine). But still, that is quite a lineup to project 5 years into the future.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Getting a little ahead of myself here, but if that should happen, then a possible starting lineup in 2023-24 would be:

Not that this is the likely lineup in that year, since there will be younger players who might well crack the lineup (one in particular as you can imagine). But still, that is quite a lineup to project 5 years into the future.

It's a dud if it doesn't include Fudd.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You don't. She wouldn't be invited to First Night if UConn wasn't significantly interested. I can't recall any uncommitted rising seniors coming to the event ever.

There have been some, though I can’t think of them off the top of my head.

We’ll see if Edwards has any other visits lined up. Maryland has shown interest and Brenda was in Puerto Rico for at least one of the AmeriCup games.

Reaction Score

Paige ‐--------------------- Muhl
Fudd ‐‐‐---------------------Makurat
Poffenbarger ‐----------Griffin
Aliyah‐-----------------------Mir
DeBerry‐--------------------Piath

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

We do have 1 player at each position, but I'd swap Nika and Paige.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
The five member recruiting class in the late 90s of Sue Bird, Tamika Williams, Asjha Jones, Swin Cash and Kiersten Walters didn’t turn out too bad! The “TASSK Force”.

Like that group, the four 2020 recruits plus Edwards could play together position-wise.

Like Bueckers and Muhl, both Bird and Walters could play the point. Walters was a nice player but injuries derailed her career.

I believe UConn only had one recruit the following year. Taurasi came along the year after that.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Since Paige has assumed an unofficial role as a UConn WBB recruiter, she will probably be working hard on Aaliyah during First Night festivities. :)

Just following up informal discussions at the U-19's. :)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Working hard may not be that necessary.
Kiss of death????
Seems that once posters post stuff like this, poof, the players commit to one of our rivals...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
New piece on Edwards' 2019:

'The next step of the Olympic qualifying process Canada is hosting a tournament in Edmonton coming up in November.

Edwards has to wait to receive an invitation to that tournament and said she doesn’t want to get ahead of herself thinking of playing in the Olympics.

“Honestly my focus is just being here in this moment but of course an opportunity to represent Canada at the highest level of competition such as the Olympics would be incredible,” she said. “One step at a time though.”'

I could think of a good first step that might help. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom