October Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
donalddoowop, so your stating that El Alfy has chosen where she is signing. If that is correct, then that school is not U Conn. In years past, Auriemma would indicate he had information coming, as he has a tough time keeping a secret. A high profile international player, with a connected father in the coaching community would have bells and whistles at her announcement. Something isn't making sense , unless she is going to forgo college and go directly to the pros in Europe.

Reaction Score
This news about Allie Ziebell visiting for 1st night would seem to be a major positive. Those numbers are incredible numbers and she's still just a sophmore. The 3 point percentage especially. From watching her play she seems to be a go getter. The shooting numbers are particularly impressive and I would think would put her in the league of anyone on the team. She's still got a lot of development but she can clearly shoot.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This news about Allie Ziebell visiting for 1st night would seem to be a major positive. Those numbers are incredible numbers and she's still just a sophmore. The 3 point percentage especially. From watching her play she seems to be a go getter. The shooting numbers are particularly impressive and I would think would put her in the league of anyone on the team. She's still got a lot of development but she can clearly shoot.
She's a junior.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed to hear that about El Alfy and Thomas. But anyone who doesn't want UConn, we don't want. Aside from the academic draw of Stanford, Uconn is like every other school, and the primary plus of Geno's program is growing as a player and having a clear shot at a NC, and the primary minus is having to work really hard in practice to get minutes. That's the culture of the team, and players who think that minus is larger than that plus wouldn't fit in even if they did come. Not every teenager is mature enough to make such a difficult choice. The one's who can are the ones we want. I wish the others well wherever they end up.
What did you hear about EL Alfy that disappoints? Fill us in on facts please.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
donalddoowop, so your stating that El Alfy has chosen where she is signing. If that is correct, then that school is not U Conn. In years past, Auriemma would indicate he had information coming, as he has a tough time keeping a secret. A high profile international player, with a connected father in the coaching community would have bells and whistles at her announcement. Something isn't making sense , unless she is going to forgo college and go directly to the pros in Europe.
UConn had commitments from some very highly ranked recruits and the BY did not hear about their committing until they signed. Also, did you notice the emoji at the end of my post?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The numbers were for her sophmore year though right? Could have been more precise in my comment.
Yes. "she's still just a sophmore" is what I was responding to.

Reaction Score
UConn had commitments from some very highly ranked recruits and the BY did not hear about their committing until they signed. Also, did you notice the emoji at the end of my post?

I don’t think everyone understands those emojis. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
What did you hear about EL Alfy that disappoints? Fill us in on facts please.
I was only reflecting on what others here had said about her and Thomas, which was only speculation and tea leaf reading.

Reaction Score
I was only reflecting on what others here had said about her and Thomas, which was only speculation and tea leaf reading.
With El Alfy I think it is as you say, speculating and tea leaf reading. In general, Uconn does not give an indication they are no longer in the hunt for someone they were pursuing. Sometimes we find out with certainty because a player releases their short list and we are not on it. That happened with Blanca Thomas (a 24 big). I saw somewhere her shorts list and it didn't include us. I have no idea about Azzi's former teammate named Thomas who I think has not yet committed.

As for tea leaf reading, I sometimes look to a shift in recruiting where Uconn is going after players at the same position further down the ranking list than others they initially pursued. The 2023 wings might be a good example. We knew we were pursuing Booker early on, and Prosper a little later, but then a couple of other wings/SF's further down got some interest from us and we signed Q. That doesn't necessarily mean we are completely out of the hunt for Prosper, who could also probably play the 2 and 4, but I didn't think it was a good sign for our chances when we signed Q.

As for El Alfy I remain hopeful. She is likely the last chance to get a very good big in the class of 2023. I haven't heard much buzz about 2024 bigs yet, but it looks like a so so crop at that position, and Blanca is already off the table, so if we were out of the running for El Alfy I might look for more signs of active recruiting of 2024 bigs like Tac or Koval. Not seeing that yet, makes me think we still have a chance at El Alfy.

Reaction Score
What information you have on UConn pursuing Prosper?
Maybe pursuing is too strong a term, and I don't recall where exactly, but I believe there were some posts indicating Uconn was in the house at some of her games or following her. I don't remember any references to a formal offer but in many ways she made sense for us, and quite a few posters were commenting on her, and the Canadian connection (Aaliyah and Kia) seemed to give us a possible edge.

Also since she shot up the rankings list, even to number 1 in one case, testing to see if there was any reciprocal interest made complete sense to me. Can I prove they pursued Prosper? No, and I'm not going to look back to older posts looking for evidence, but others might help me in that regard, but regardless based on what I recall from reading on this site, I believe they tried for her.

I still cling to the possibility we are still in the hunt, but believe the odds are much lower than when her name was first coming up. Time will tell.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe pursuing is too strong a term, and I don't recall where exactly, but I believe there were some posts indicating Uconn was in the house at some of her games or following her. I don't remember any references to a formal offer but in many ways she made sense for us, and quite a few posters were commenting on her, and the Canadian connection (Aaliyah and Kia) seemed to give us a possible edge.

Also since she shot up the rankings list, even to number 1 in one case, testing to see if there was any reciprocal interest made complete sense to me. Can I prove they pursued Prosper? No, and I'm not going to look back to older posts looking for evidence, but others might help me in that regard, but regardless based on what I recall from reading on this site, I believe they tried for her.

I still cling to the possibility we are still in the hunt, but believe the odds are much lower than when her name was first coming up. Time will tell.
Okay. The earliest post about Cassandre Prosper on this board was August 2021. There are no posts about any coaches watching her play. Unlike Kia and Aaliyah, there were no reports of a UConn coach watching her play for Team Canada. No visit to her high school has been posted. She is not on social media so no coaches can follow her. I believe Morgan follows someone connected to her AAU team.

I follow UConn recruiting pretty closely and the only reference to a connection between UConn and Prosper I've read was a reference to UConn's interest by BallOutMedia back in August 2021. (Accuracy of that site is questionable).

While there is a dearth of information on UConn and Prosper, the same is true for every other school except Notre Dame (a couple of articles reporting ND's interest and a coach's visit to her HS) and Louisville (reports coaches were watching her AAU games).

That adds up to a whole bunch of nothing for UConn. If there is something going on it's well under the radar.

Reaction Score
Okay. The earliest post about Cassandre Prosper on this board was August 2021. There are no posts about any coaches watching her play. Unlike Kia and Aaliyah, there were no reports of a UConn coach watching her play for Team Canada. No visit to her high school has been posted. She is not on social media so no coaches can follow her. I believe Morgan follows someone connected to her AAU team.

I follow UConn recruiting pretty closely and the only reference to a connection between UConn and Prosper I've read was a reference to UConn's interest by BallOutMedia back in August 2021. (Accuracy of that site is questionable).

While there is a dearth of information on UConn and Prosper, the same is true for every other school except Notre Dame (a couple of articles reporting ND's interest and a coach's visit to her HS) and Louisville (reports coaches were watching her AAU games).

That adds up to a whole bunch of nothing for UConn. If there is something going on it's well under the radar.
Ala Delaney Thomas.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With El Alfy I think it is as you say, speculating and tea leaf reading. In general, Uconn does not give an indication they are no longer in the hunt for someone they were pursuing.
UConn never discusses specifics regarding recruiting because that would be an NCAA violation. It’s ok for Genoto say “We’re looking for post players” but he can’t mention a recruit’s name until she’s signed.

Reaction Score

Top 10 for Jana El Alfy: Duke, NC State, Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan, UNC, Oregon, and UCLA

I wonder if she realizes that she won’t be able to wear #8 at any school.

Reaction Score
This Jana animation is great social media. She's building a brand. She must have some sort of agent already.

Reaction Score

Top 10 for Jana El Alfy: Duke, NC State, Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville, Maryland, Michigan, UNC, Oregon, and UCLA

To put this in another context, here is Jana's "top ten" in order of ranking in the
recent preseason NCAA rankings: 1. UCONN # 6 2. Louisville # 7 3. North
Carolina State #10. ( I have Blanca Thomas penciled in here, 6'5" , an in-state choice?)
4. Univerity of North Carolina #12. ( ? another B. Thomas possibility? ) 5. Maryland # 17
( with an early transfer out??, joke) 6. Oregon #20 7. Michigan #25 and
outside the top 25 in order of votes received 8. UCLA # 27 9. Duke # 43 and
#10. Cincinnati ( no votes) no ranking. Does anyone have any insight into the
"needs" of these various schools and "best match" for Jana.? The H.S. Class of 2023
for Bigs is blurry for me.

Reaction Score
To put this in another context, here is Jana's "top ten" in order of ranking in the
recent preseason NCAA rankings: 1. UCONN # 6 2. Louisville # 7 3. North
Carolina State #10. ( I have Blanca Thomas penciled in here, 6'5" , an in-state choice?)
4. Univerity of North Carolina #12. ( ? another B. Thomas possibility? ) 5. Maryland # 17
( with an early transfer out??, joke) 6. Oregon #20 7. Michigan #25 and
outside the top 25 in order of votes received 8. UCLA # 27 9. Duke # 43 and
#10. Cincinnati ( no votes) no ranking. Does anyone have any insight into the
"needs" of these various schools and "best match" for Jana.? The H.S. Class of 2023
for Bigs is blurry for me.
Wish it was that simple.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom