Observing Kelly & Kaleena | The Boneyard

Observing Kelly & Kaleena

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
After a time out during last night's game, I watched the players go out onto the court. Kelly and Kaleena were two of the players. I noticed that KML went right to Kelly, the two of them did a low double-fist bump and had a brief conversation. When thei teammates joined them, Kelly spoke to the huddle, then KML added a comment. I was intrigued by this exchange so I watched the two of them and saw that they conversed several times during the game. they seem to have a great feel for where the other is on the court, too. Is Kelly grooming a future captain? Hard to believe Bria and Stef won't be co-captains next year but I do see KML emerging as a leader.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Kaleena is becoming more demonstrative this year too. Like in a positive, team-building way. She always had a bigger personality than Kelly, and has said openly she tries to emulate Kelly in terms of work ethic. Additionally, there is a growing ease to her game that is really scary. I would not be at all surprised to see her take a critical leadership role.

One thing we haven't seen yet because, you know, Uconn hasn't won by less than 30, is who takes big shots in games that are close. KML and Bria may still be the best options there.

Reaction Score
It does look like Kaleena wants to take Kelley's mantle after she leaves...and I see that as not so much a vocal leader (which she will be) but as the exemplar of the kind of play that typifies UCONN basketball. If Kelley passes her work ethic on, she will continue to drive this team to greater heights long after she's left the building.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have really been impressed with KML this year - the shot is still there, but her defensive intensity is way better and she is mixing it up down low a lot more than she did last year. There was also a fast break last night where her speed really impressed me - she started a quarter court behind the ball and was the fastest player down the court for the lay-up.
And yes - she seems to be sitting in KF's back pocket in terms of learning the Uconn way.

Reaction Score
What's best about UConn is that they won't have to rely on one person to take the tough shot, which makes them all the more dangerous. KML, Bria, Stewie, Caroline, Stefanie, Morgan . . . They have so many options.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What's best about UConn is that they won't have to rely on one person to take the tough shot, which makes them all the more dangerous. KML, Bria, Stewie, Caroline, Stefanie, Morgan . . . They have so many options.
I kind of disagree. Obviously, it's great to have options (and having so many options is going to prevent a lot of games from being close to begin with), but it's also good to know who you want taking a big shot at such time as the chips are down. Baylor is going to live or die with Griner or Sims making it happen in that situation. I don't know that Uconn has that figured out yet. Maybe it will happen organically.

Reaction Score
I kind of disagree. Obviously, it's great to have options (and having so many options is going to prevent a lot of games from being close to begin with), but it's also good to know who you want taking a big shot at such time as the chips are down. Baylor is going to live or die with Griner or Sims making it happen in that situation. I don't know that Uconn has that figured out yet. Maybe it will happen organically.
I'm OK with anyone on the floor taking the "big" shot. If they run the play Geno just drew up there will be multiple options and whoever gets the open shot takes it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great points. There's a reason KML was the #1 or #2 kid in her class. I love her game and her attitude, which is confident and if she can emulate Kelly by also leading by example, kudos to her. Great observation Nan!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom