Obi Melifonwu/Noel Thomas - 2017 NFL Combine Invite | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Obi Melifonwu/Noel Thomas - 2017 NFL Combine Invite

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
PFF scouting report: Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut | PFF

Player comparison: Kam Chancellor, Seattle Seahawks

This comparison is low-hanging fruit, but the reality is there just isn’t another existing player in the NFL who can play up to Melifonwu’s ceiling based on his size and athleticism. Chancellor’s role is one that many teams try to emulate and Melifonwu is one of the few capable of living up to that type of hype

Pretty spot on. They see his weakness as coverage in the deep third---something a lot of us on the Yard talked about over the past couple of years. Seems to come in a bit late deep over the middle and get burnt more often than one would like to see. Still think he'll be a force in the NFL.

Reaction Score
Pretty spot on. They see his weakness as coverage in the deep third---something a lot of us on the Yard talked about over the past couple of years. Seems to come in a bit late deep over the middle and get burnt more often than one would like to see. Still think he'll be a force in the NFL.
Showed my wife his picture running and how big and buff he looks. She asked if he was a DE. When I told her it was the Obi kid she thought I was trying to fool her. Hmmmmm! Speed, strength, 6 ft 4 in, big frame, buff upper body - could he be misplaced deep in the backfield. Maybe he is more Bruce Smith than Ronnie Lott.

Reaction Score
Houston Chronicle Connecticut safety Obi Melifonwu on Texans' radar

>>At the NFL scouting combine, Melifonwu had formal meetings with the Baltimore Ravens, Los Angeles Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins, Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Los Angeles Rams, Carolina Panthers and Indianapolis Colts.<<

Reaction Score
Melifonwu really outshined Noel. I was expecting more from Noel. Hoping Noel can show out at the Pro Day.

Reaction Score
Showed my wife his picture running and how big and buff he looks. She asked if he was a DE. When I told her it was the Obi kid she thought I was trying to fool her. Hmmmmm! Speed, strength, 6 ft 4 in, big frame, buff upper body - could he be misplaced deep in the backfield. Maybe he is more Bruce Smith than Ronnie Lott.
While I don't think this, I think he was wasted never being used in blitz schemes. But vanilla is what vanilla does. Do you think Don Brown would have found ways to utilize that athletic ability? Anyone who went to the Rent knew we were looking at a special athlete. Sure he got burned a few times and was out of position a few others, but overall a superior athlete.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Saw medic's post with the uber Obi tweet..Obi looks like a damned freak of nature.

And there was a football guy on Francesa's show last week saying Obi will not return draft value.

Reaction Score
Would love for the Hawks to take Obi so that he can learn from Kam and Earl. They really need DBs since the backup safeties McCray and Terrell will likely not be retained.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom