Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
janet-leigh-shower-scene-psycho.jpg

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If this does happen the Big East will lose their automatic Bowl Bid and further drop in stature in Football. The other BCS conferences will revise the rules to enable more of their teams in the BCS bowls.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
great for them. L'ville is on the way out soon too.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As I have said from the beginning it is time to blow up the Big East. No. 1 doing that deprives ND of their access to the BCS bid and helps to force their hand.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As I have said from the beginning it is time to blow up the Big East.
and exactly what good would that do? i get everyone's frustration, but there is NOWHERE for UCONN to go at this point. the Big 12 doesn't want them, neither does the SEC, Big 10 or ACC at this point. WVU, Syracuse, and Pitt gone, and i'm betting L'ville is not far behind. all that's left is UCONN, RU, USF and Cinci from the football perspective.

so blow up the BE, UCONN doesn't get to play GT, Nova, ND or any of the other hoops only schools, and so we join with the MAC? CAA? drop our football program back to Division II? believe me, if there were any good options right now, Herbst would be on it. so all we can do is wait and hope... come on Padre - get some mojo going!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Forcing ND out the door without access to a BCS bid might well force their hand to join the ACC and result in both UConn and ND into the conference as 15 and 16. Better to blow things up than this slow death that is accomplishing nothing.

As to basketball there will be plenty of teams that will want UConn on their schedule in men's and women's basketball. It's time to have the courage to walk out the door.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Forcing ND out the door without access to a BCS bid might well force their hand to join the ACC and result in both UConn and ND into the conference as 15 and 16. Better to blow things up than this slow death that is accomplishing nothing.

As to basketball there will be plenty of teams that will want UConn on their schedule in men's and women's basketball. It's time to have the courage to walk out the door.
i still don't get how that accomplishes anything. ND is still part of the catholic only schools. Nova, GT, Seton Hall, PC, Marquette, Depaul, and SJU. the football schools could certainly turn tail and split. but i still don't see where that gets us anywhere... it certainly would NOT force ND's hand.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

You lost me. What does the BE have to do with ND's BCS bid?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
i still don't get how that accomplishes anything. ND is still part of the catholic only schools. Nova, GT, Seton Hall, PC, Marquette, Depaul, and SJU. the football schools could certainly turn tail and split. but i still don't see where that gets us anywhere... it certainly would NOT force ND's hand.
ND doesn't stay with the Big East because of it's relationship with the other Catholic universities, it stays with the Big East because it needed a place for it's Olympic sports and a pasty to let ND take a bowl from the conference whenever it could muster up a winning season. The BEast basically acted like a lovesick nerd hoping the supermodel would deign to consider marrying him if he hung around her long enough. As Geno said, after 17 years of dating, you'd think the BEast would figure out she's not interested.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You lost me. What does the BE have to do with ND's BCS bid?
A team needs to be in, or be allied with, a BCS conference in order to be invited to a BCS bowl.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ND doesn't stay with the Big East because of it's relationship with the other Catholic universities, it stays with the Big East because it needed a place for it's Olympic sports and a pasty to let ND take a bowl from the conference whenever it could muster up a winning season. The BEast basically acted like a lovesick nerd hoping the supermodel would deign to consider marrying him if he hung around her long enough. As Geno said, after 17 years of dating, you'd think the BEast would figure out she's not interested.
agreed, but even if the football schools left, ND would still be part of the remaining BE as a participant in all sports but football. so again, what does the football schools leaving accomplish? Geno was essentially correct that the BE should never have allowed ND to join as all sports but football, but that ship has sailed.

so what do the 5 remaining FB schools do? how does splitting force ND to do anything? they can still be in the BE with the other 8 schools and add programs that don't care about football to grow if needed. programs with good hoops teams - like Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, etc. ND still maintains it's independence.

the ONLY way anything changes, from what i've read, is if somehow ND is forced out of the BCS picture as an independent. again, i get everyone's frustration. we're all pissed at ND. but the BE allowed them to stay and sat on their hands even when things started changing back with Miami, Va Tech, and BCU leaving.

the BE did nothing at that point. so sure, be pissed at ND. but they laid their cards on the table from day one. they are like the hot chick who likes your parties, house, money, cars, etc. but makes it VERY clear from day 1 that she will never sleep with you. then you piss and moan 10 years later cuz she's never slept with you, and you never bothered making better arrangements...

some will argue "but we added L'ville, Cinci, Marquette, USF, Depaul, etc." yeah - so what? where did that get us? Pitt, Syracuse and now WVU have been poached. UCONN is begging the ACC to take us. clearly the Big East screwed up. or i should say the football schools screwed up. they sat around hoping the hot chick would miraculously change her mind.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
A team needs to be in, or be allied with, a BCS conference in order to be invited to a BCS bowl.
I don't think this is correct. I believe ND gets an automatic BCS bowl if it finishes in the top 8. This was part of the original deal when the BCS system was established.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I don't think this is correct. I believe ND gets an automatic BCS bowl if it finishes in the top 8. This was part of the original deal when the BCS system was established.
Correct- and realistically, would be selected as an at-large anytime they finished in the top 14 and won at least nine games. Here is the selection process.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Correct- and realistically, would be selected as an at-large anytime they finished in the top 14 and won at least nine games. Here is the selection process.
Thanks for posting that.

So the upshot is that forcing ND out of the BE would not impact it's BCS eligibility one iota.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that.

So the upshot is that forcing ND out of the BE would not impact it's BCS eligibility one iota.
Bingo. that was my point. the 5 remaining FB schools can leave, or ask the other 7 non FB schools to force ND out. or mix and match any option. it won't force ND to do anything as long as the BCS allows them the chance to play in a BCS bowl game as an independent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Slight quibble. The source is from the B12 is different than a source representing the B12 on these issues. This article may be a predictor of upcoming events. Or it may be a person within the B12 trying to prevent the BE from taking action to solidify itself. The longer the BE stays in uncertainty, the longer the B12 has to pursue its options. These rumors, leaks, sources and discussions among conferences and between universities are just like the actions people make and take in the game of "Risk".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It was the Big East bid that they got automatically. That's why if there is no Big East football that the Irish are out in the cold if they aren't in the top 8 which they haven't been in ages. Note they have been in the top 8 once in the last 10 seasons in 2006. Plus #9 0nce and #11 once.

Reaction Score
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1283801

ND making other arrangements if needed. ND has been the recipient of all the blame for not doing something they said they'd never do while all the BE football teams have schemed and conspired to take care of themselves. ND has more bargaining power than many assumed to take care of Olympics sports...Horizon or MAC...please. A few high profile football games would more than cover their inclusion. Texas + ND = love connection. Have been meeting for the past couple years ever since the first round of conference shifting occurred.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It was the Big East bid that they got automatically. That's why if there is no Big East football that the Irish are out in the cold if they aren't in the top 8 which they haven't been in ages. Note they have been in the top 8 once in the last 10 seasons in 2002. Plus #9 0nce and #11 once.
that's not correct. ND is guaranteed a BCS game if they are in the top 8. it has zero to do with the BE or any affiliation with the big east. this is a direct quote from the BCS rules...

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

it has ZERO to do with the big east or it's loose affiliation with the big east. believe me, i wish it weren't so - it would be so easy if ND's auto bid was linked to their membership in the BE. we would have chucked them out a long time ago and forced their hand. btw, i took that quote form alex's link regarding the BCS rules.

but ND got the best of all worlds. the BCS bent over for them and gave them the chance of an auto BCS game even tho they have no affiliation, and the BE bent over for them and allowed them to plant all their sports in a great conference but still let them stay independent in football.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
that's not correct. ND is guaranteed a BCS game if they are in the top 8. it has zero to do with the BE or any affiliation with the big east. this is a direct quote from the BCS rules...

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

it has ZERO to do with the big east or it's loose affiliation with the big east. believe me, i wish it weren't so - it would be so easy if ND's auto bid was linked to their membership in the BE. we would have chucked them out a long time ago and forced their hand.

but ND got the best of all worlds. the BCS bent over for them and gave them the chance of an auto BCS game even tho they have no affiliation, and the BE bent over for them and allowed them to plant all their sports in a great conference but still let them stay independent in football.
Reread what I wrote. I was still writing. Note: that the clause was for ND a two way method of qualifying, as Bg East Champion or being in the top 8. They have been in the top 8 once in a decade.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reread what I wrote. I was still writing. Note: that the clause was for ND a two way method of qualifying, as Bg East Champion or being in the top 8. They have been in the top 8 once in a decade.

How can ND be "Big East Champion" when it's doesn't play in the Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom