NYTimes: West Virginia to the Big 12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NYTimes: West Virginia to the Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It never made sense to me Cat but that was how I had been told ND went to the BCS previously. I had been told it was per their agreement with the Big East. They went to BCS games in 2007 (#11) and 2001 (#11) despite not being top 8 qualifiers but checking Wiki I see it was as at large members. Obviously, I had been told bad information.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Fact: Nortre Dame has never won a BCS bowl game and has only won two of their last 11 bowl games and have a .500 bowl record over their whole history.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Reread what I wrote. I was still writing. Note: that the clause was for ND a two way method of qualifying, as Bg East Champion or being in the top 8. They have been in the top 8 once in a decade.
if you have a chance, please go back and read the BCS selection procedures. ND's comments are item 4. neither item 3 nor item 5 says anything about ND's affiliation with the BE in order to get a BCS bid. there's no caveat, hidden language, or sub-section regarding ND.

simply, ND is guaranteed a BCS game if they are ranked in the top 8 come selection time. it has NOTHING to do with their affiliation with ANY conference.

and i still hate it. i wish it weren't so, but the BE has no power over ND. booting them now still does nothing. Cinci, USF, UCONN, RU and L'ville could leave, try to disband the BE, whatever, but ND would still have a home with the non FB schools. 8 teams and they could add more. all they care about is a home for their other sports. as long as the BCS allows special rules for them, they will have no impetus to change...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
if you have a chance, please go back and read the BCS selection procedures. ND's comments are item 4. neither item 3 nor item 5 says anything about ND's affiliation with the BE in order to get a BCS bid. there's no caveat, hidden language, or sub-section regarding ND.

simply, ND is guaranteed a BCS game if they are ranked in the top 8 come selection time. it has NOTHING to do with their affiliation with ANY conference.

and i still hate it. i wish it weren't so, but the BE has no power over ND. booting them now still does nothing. Cinci, USF, UCONN, RU and L'ville could leave, try to disband the BE, whatever, but ND would still have a home with the non FB schools. 8 teams and they could add more. all they care about is a home for their other sports. as long as the BCS allows special rules for them, they will have no impetus to change...
See my above post. I did read the BCS procedures. They were previously explained wrong on the football board a couple of years ago. I have noted the bad information.

BTW, ND's history in BCS bowls is terrible.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It never made sense to me Cat but that was how I had been told ND went to the BCS previously. I had been told it was per their agreement with the Big East. They went to BCS games in 2007 (#11) and 2001 (#11) despite not being top 8 qualifiers but checking Wiki I see it was as at large members. Obviously, I had been told bad information.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Fact: Nortre Dame has never won a BCS bowl game and has only won two of their last 11 bowl games and have a .500 bowl record over their whole history.

Any BCS for Notre Dame has always been at-large; the basis for its at-large bid was changed a few years ago to what it is now (finishing top 8). The old rule allowed Notre Dame to qualify if it reached a certain number of wins (9, I think). That was the basis for its bids for BCS bowls in 2006-2007 and 2000-2001. Notre Dame's bid has never been tied to the Big East.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Any BCS for Notre Dame has always been at-large; the basis for its at-large bid was changed a few years ago to what it is now (finishing top 8). The old rule allowed Notre Dame to qualify if it reached a certain number of wins (9, I think). That was the basis for its bids for BCS bowls in 2006-2007 and 2000-2001. Notre Dame's bid has never been tied to the Big East.
I realize that reading the material. It is not what had been said previously, a couple, of years ago, on the football board.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I think that's correct.

If ND was forced out of the BE their only issue would be finding a home for all of the non-football sports. And if all of the other major conferences took an "all or nothing" stand, they would have a major problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom