NYT: Auriemma turns to the new #23 | The Boneyard

NYT: Auriemma turns to the new #23

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
She is amazing....and it will be really interesting to watch her leadership skills evolve as well.

Reaction Score

Aaaah - the obvious #23 angle. Give the sportswriters a hook, and they will come.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Tara hit it when she stated that Kaleena is UConn's "go-to" player.

Other coaches surely know this and when developing a game plan to use vs. UConn, figuring out what to do about KML will be first priority.

Then Stefanie (unless you are Kim Mulkey).

Then, when you get to Bria, you realize you need more than five defenders.

(I'm sitting here with a big smile wondering where that writer who predicted 6-8 UConn losses has gone.)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Tara hit it when she stated that Kaleena is UConn's "go-to" player.

Other coaches surely know this and when developing a game plan to use vs. UConn, figuring out what to do about KML will be first priority.

Then Stefanie (unless you are Kim Mulkey).

Then, when you get to Bria, you realize you need more than five defenders.

(I'm sitting here with a big smile wondering where that writer who predicted 6-8 UConn losses has gone.)

Yep - most teams will have a tough time focusing too hard on KML since they are already likely to be double-teaming Stef for long stretches of the game. Baylor likes to run zone with BG in the middle, but they might come out of it and run a straight M2M with BG playing Stef straight up and their best perimeter defender on KML. They can afford to do this, unlike most everybody else.

P.S. I predicted 4 losses and looked at the Stanford game as a 50/50 game. But I admit that things are looking pretty good after Monday's game :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yep - most teams will have a tough time focusing too hard on KML since they are already likely to be double-teaming Stef for long stretches of the game.
Wait until Breanna gets here - opponents won't know who the heck to guard. Shades of Renee/Maya/Tina....

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wait until Breanna gets here - opponents won't know who the heck to guard. Shades of Renee/Maya/Tina....

Plus, think of all the havoc she'll cause on defense :)

Next season's game(s?) against Baylor should be particularly epic...

Reaction Score
Tara hit it when she stated that Kaleena is UConn's "go-to" player.... Then, when you get to Bria, you realize you need more than five defenders. ...
LOL !!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i've been on that particular train since Breanna verbaled. the train picked up even more steam when i watched her play and saw her eye popping stats when playing with and against players 2-3 years her senior. then Jefferson and Tuck off the bench? totally unfair and totally awesome!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
While we wait for Breanna and Morgan to enroll, we must be content with that front court combo of Goring, EDD, McCormack, and Samarie.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
i've been on that particular train since Breanna verbaled. the train picked up even more steam when i watched her play and saw her eye popping stats when playing with and against players 2-3 years her senior. then Jefferson and Tuck off the bench? totally unfair and totally awesome!

Preach it!! :D

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont think fans really know what an impact next years class will make. All 3 can create shots, score inside and outside, are very athletic and quick. I call these 3 the 3 Headed Monster and they will be. Morgan Tuck can play inside and outside at 6'2. Moriah Jefferson is an electric point guard with a terrific drop back step and excelleration. Breanna Stewart will redefine the post players. If youve read my posts you know her wing span, and that she handles the ball like a guard. Google her and watch the videos. I truly beleive that Stef and Breanna will make life difficult next season for Griner. It wouldnt surprise me to see Breanna block one of Griners shots. Next years class will make UConns advantage in WCBB unfair. I would expect 5-6 AAs and before they graduate they will break every record including most NCs won by 1 coach. I cant tell you how excited I am.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I dont think fans really know what an impact next years class will make. All 3 can create shots, score inside and outside, are very athletic and quick. I call these 3 the 3 Headed Monster and they will be. Morgan Tuck can play inside and outside at 6'2. Moriah Jefferson is an electric point guard with a terrific drop back step and excelleration. Breanna Stewart will redefine the post players. If youve read my posts you know her wing span, and that she handles the ball like a guard. Google her and watch the videos. I truly beleive that Stef and Breanna will make life difficult next season for Griner. It wouldnt surprise me to see Breanna block one of Griners shots. Next years class will make UConns advantage in WCBB unfair. I would expect 5-6 AAs and before they graduate they will break every record including most NCs won by 1 coach. I cant tell you how excited I am.
don't hold back Tony - tell us how you really feel! honestly, i'm right there with ya!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I dont think fans really know what an impact next years class will make.
You mean regular, non-Boneyard fans, right Tony ??!? :cool:

As I mentioned in an earlier in the thread, I [also] believe that next season's battles with Baylor will be epic once Stewart and her cohorts arrive. This year we've got a shot at making some real noise at the NCAAS, but a lot could happen between now and tournament time. However.... in 2013 I fully expect it to be UCONN and Baylor in the championship game--a battle for the ages.

Reaction Score
While we wait for Breanna and Morgan to enroll, we must be content with that front court combo of Goring, EDD, McCormack, and Samarie.
YEAH, THAT STINKS!

Reaction Score

I agree, next year UCONN is going to have one of the best inside/outside games to ever hit the college scene. Scoring will not be a problem for UCONN. Before I get to caught up in next year I'm going to enjoy this year.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

P.S. I would be shocked if Geno ever did it, but I would love to see a diamond-and-1 defense against Griner, with BStewart glued to BG at all times in a position to harass her, deny the ball as much as possible and make lob passes difficult. Reason being, by next season I think it will be far more difficult to simply keep BG out of the lane than it has been in the past (like Samarie did) and when she gets the ball she is getting more and more effective. Best to significantly limit her touches in the first place, which is easier said than done, especially as Sims gains experience.

Stef would be in back of the diamond zone so that she could easily take defensive position between BG and the basket. This D would utilize both players' strengths: Stef is best at the 'hand-straight-up' defense, using her body as a roadblock, and then turning to box out. Stewart's talents would partly be wasted as a primary backline defender, for the same reasons that ICE and others have used when talking about how to attack Griner: You take it straight at her. It's harder to block shots without fouling, even for BG, when you get right up on her. Her real forte is in space, closing out on shooters or people penetrating the lane, and blocking shots as a help defender. Stewart is just a smaller, more mobile version of this. An added bonus is that with Stewart on the high side, if Griner kicks it out, Stewart is still in a position to close out and help defend the shooter.

Here is just one potential setup for the diamond:

.......................Hartley
.......KML.....................Kelly
.....................Stef

KML and Kelly are also strong, excellent defenders (Edit: Bria's defense lately is looking good, too.) This defense, with Stewart on BG, would be a nightmare for Baylor. But we'll never see it because with our talent we will still do a good job with our helping M2M or our regular 2-3. It's just that I think this D would be particularly tough for Baylor and BG, who by her senior year will have seen a lot of double teams out of a M2M and a lot of vanilla 2-3 zones. She and her teammates will have gotten very good at dealing with those situations. Having BStewart glued to you at all times would make life very hard at the offensive end :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom