NYC FC and MLS are a joke, worse than Chivas. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NYC FC and MLS are a joke, worse than Chivas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Didn't see the game, but from highlights the crowd looked pretty good.

Reaction Score
It will only go down from here.

The field was like postage stamp sized. NYC is actually an entertaining team. Let's hope the find a spot for their stadium soon.

I agree. Plus, there is no disagreement, the Yankees are the big money maker at Yankee Stadium. if their griping about field conditions continues to build and/or a $20 million a year player blows a knee getting stuck in a rut on the pitch, NYC FC is gone. Just hope they can find a new home soon. Could not find anything on the web; but, I suspect their efforts are ahead of the Revs on that front.

Reaction Score
I had hoped to go but didn't get back to town in time. Watching it on TV the 43K number seemed fairly reasonable although the upper 2/3 of the top deck had only scattered pockets of fans. The game was entertaining although both teams had some horrible lapses in their own end. If you just saw a clip of the various defensive breakdowns you'd think NY won by a score of 4-2 or more. Once they put in some fresh speed in the second half they were making long runs that made it look like the Revolution back line was standing still.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Those who watched, was there a soccer atmosphere or was it quiet? I remember seeing all those rules they posted about what couldn't be brought. Was wondering if the fans and supporters found a work around

Reaction Score
Those who watched, was there a soccer atmosphere or was it quiet? I remember seeing all those rules they posted about what couldn't be brought. Was wondering if the fans and supporters found a work around

Hard to tell. The way the cameras are oriented you saw very little of the crowd.

Reaction Score
The adult soccer league I play on was supposed to get NYC FC tickets; but, with Pernetti and that no one had any real interest to heading over the river to watch a soccer match in a baseball stadium, we getting group tickets (40 to 60) for 3 Red Bull games instead - Sat 6/20 v Vancouver, Sun 8/9 v NYC FC, and Fri 9/25 v Orlando.

Reaction Score
First time poster on this board. For some perspective, I played soccer through high school. I watch a bit of Premier League with my 9 year olds and coach my daughters u9 team. I know the game but I don't watch a ton so I'm no expert on my report.

I went to the game on Sunday. It was a more impressive atmosphere than I expected and the quality of soccer was adequate. Typical of what I've seen of MLS, the talent is top heavy. NYCFC's Villa was 10 times the player of anyone else. Didn't hear anyone talking about the Lampard stuff.

Yankee Stadium is weak. I'm a Yankee fan but I don't love the stadium for baseball. For soccer there are some fine seats and a whole lot of bad. I can't see the turf holding up well where they put it on the infield. The concessions were mobbed. One of the guys I was with theorized that they are set up for a slow and steady flow for 7+ innings, not a half time rush. Everyone was wearing gear and not just the free scarves they gave out to season tkt buyers. I didn't get any because my 9 year old son loves ManU and he'd burn the NYCFC stuff that looks so much like Man City. Getting into the stadium was pretty difficult with 15 minute lines through metal detectors.

The crowd was very American soccer. People were into the game, but there were no team bonding cheers yet. I found the demographics interesting. 2/5 suburban dad and kids, 1/5 Latino and/or Euro, 2/5 NYC (more likely Brooklyn hipster) 20/30 somethings. I live a bit closer to Red Bulls Stadium, and will probably take my kids there more often, but the NYCFC atmosphere was fun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yankee Stadium is weak. I'm a Yankee fan but I don't love the stadium for baseball. For soccer there are some fine seats and a whole lot of bad. I can't see the turf holding up well where they put it on the infield. The concessions were mobbed. One of the guys I was with theorized that they are set up for a slow and steady flow for 7+ innings, not a half time rush. Everyone was wearing gear and not just the free scarves they gave out to season tkt buyers. I didn't get any because my 9 year old son loves ManU and he'd burn the NYCFC stuff that looks so much like Man City. Getting into the stadium was pretty difficult with 15 minute lines through metal detectors.

I completely agree with respect to Yankee Stadium as a long-term option for a soccer pitch. I'm still debating the old versus new stadium myself as a Yankee fan. I also like you son as I would have to resist the urge not to burn the NYC FC Kit as I am a gunners fan and its parallel color scheme to UNC does not help right now. That said, I would us Man U's kit to start the fire to start and then throw in Man City's kit, LOL. That Chevy logo has to go. Now, I wish that the Red Bulls had a real name and corresponding kit, also.

Reaction Score
First time poster on this board. For some perspective, I played soccer through high school. I watch a bit of Premier League with my 9 year olds and coach my daughters u9 team. I know the game but I don't watch a ton so I'm no expert on my report.

I went to the game on Sunday. It was a more impressive atmosphere than I expected and the quality of soccer was adequate. Typical of what I've seen of MLS, the talent is top heavy. NYCFC's Villa was 10 times the player of anyone else. Didn't hear anyone talking about the Lampard stuff.

The crowd was very American soccer. People were into the game, but there were no team bonding cheers yet. I found the demographics interesting. 2/5 suburban dad and kids, 1/5 Latino and/or Euro, 2/5 NYC (more likely Brooklyn hipster) 20/30 somethings. I live a bit closer to Red Bulls Stadium, and will probably take my kids there more often, but the NYCFC atmosphere was fun.

Wow, thanks for the on scene insights. It appears that they did get a late surge in season ticket sales. They are like 4th in the league in that dept presently.

Villa was really good. Diskerud is also really good. I read a stat somewhere that Diskerud has more touches, more passes attempted and more passes completed than any other player. Kind of impressive. That Khiry Shelton was really impressive for NYC FC as well.

Also, the Revs are an average to terrible team without Jermaine Jones. I think they only lost one game when he played with them last year. When I saw them in person, he did it all. He told the keeper where to kick the ball, he set up the set pieces he talked to the ref, he may have even reffed the game as well. He is the boss.

As for the seats. Those bad seats will get progressively emptier as time goes by. If any of those season tickets were in the bad areas then they won't get renewed next season. Having watched baseball stadium soccer before, but in a much smaller minor league stadium where I could sit lower, there are times when you don't even feel like you are in the same stadium as the game because the action is so far away. I think as time goes by, attendance will normalize to 15-20,000 a game which might help with concessions.

That halftime rush is an issue even in the well thought out soccer specific stadiums. It's almost like the people that run the stadiums relearn this every season.

I hope you do continue to go to games at either place. After a winter of watching EPL and Europe stuff I love watching a live game in person again. Plus you could probably get season tickets for the Red Bulls for next nothing right now:)

Reaction Score
I completely agree with respect to Yankee Stadium as a long-term option for a soccer pitch. I'm still debating the old versus new stadium myself as a Yankee fan. I also like you son as I would have to resist the urge not to burn the NYC FC Kit as I am a gunners fan and its parallel color scheme to UNC does not help right now. That said, I would us Man U's kit to start the fire to start and then throw in Man City's kit, LOL. That Chevy logo has to go. Now, I wish that the Red Bulls had a real name and corresponding kit, also.

I wish they would bring the Metrostar name back. That name was cheesy enough to work. It's no less cheesy than "Cosmos", "Galaxy" or "Crew". I have an old Metrostars jersey somewhere, never worn. It might be worth something.

Reaction Score

My son told me he wants a Chevy. I decided to let him run with that. It's nice to have a more realistic dream car! His twin sister likes Chelsea, so I just have to buy her a Samsung phone in a couple years.

I think from other posts you're in Bergen. We've got all the local teams (Arsenal, Maroons, Americans, RYSA) except for the Torpedoes on our schedule this spring. Now we just need to get on some fields!

Reaction Score
Wow, thanks for the on scene insights. It appears that they did get a late surge in season ticket sales. They are like 4th in the league in that dept presently.

Villa was really good. Diskerud is also really good. I read a stat somewhere that Diskerud has more touches, more passes attempted and more passes completed than any other player. Kind of impressive. That Khiry Shelton was really impressive for NYC FC as well.

Also, the Revs are an average to terrible team without Jermaine Jones. I think they only lost one game when he played with them last year. When I saw them in person, he did it all. He told the keeper where to kick the ball, he set up the set pieces he talked to the ref, he may have even reffed the game as well. He is the boss.

As for the seats. Those bad seats will get progressively emptier as time goes by. If any of those season tickets were in the bad areas then they won't get renewed next season. Having watched baseball stadium soccer before, but in a much smaller minor league stadium where I could sit lower, there are times when you don't even feel like you are in the same stadium as the game because the action is so far away. I think as time goes by, attendance will normalize to 15-20,000 a game which might help with concessions.

That halftime rush is an issue even in the well thought out soccer specific stadiums. It's almost like the people that run the stadiums relearn this every season.

I hope you do continue to go to games at either place. After a winter of watching EPL and Europe stuff I love watching a live game in person again. Plus you could probably get season tickets for the Red Bulls for next nothing right now:)

I liked Valezquez on NYCFC also. He was a step quicker than everyone else. Lacked some finesse when he needed it, but good things seemed to happen when he had the ball.

I'll take my kids to games. Probably the Red Bulls since I assume NYCFC will eventually relocate to Queens which will be less convenient than the Bronx.

Reaction Score
My son told me he wants a Chevy. I decided to let him run with that. It's nice to have a more realistic dream car! His twin sister likes Chelsea, so I just have to buy her a Samsung phone in a couple years.

I think from other posts you're in Bergen. We've got all the local teams (Arsenal, Maroons, Americans, RYSA) except for the Torpedoes on our schedule this spring. Now we just need to get on some fields!

Well, I guess wanting supporting Chevy is better that buy a kit sponsors by a brothel.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4607127/greek-football-team-sponsorship-deal-brothels.html

Yes, I am in Bergen. My boys are too young to commit to travel soccer yet; but, I do know all of those names as one of those leagues is trying to recruit my 8/9 year old to go full-time soccer. for now, I am ignoring them as I want him to be a kid and he loves all three sports he currently plays. Leave specialization for middle school or later. This is the last week of rec basketball followed by a 2 week break and then rec baseball starts (I made the mistake of volunteering for soccer and have since been volunteered for baseball and basketball coaching duties). Hopefully the fields will be clear and dry by then.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The adult soccer league I play on was supposed to get NYC FC tickets; but, with Pernetti and that no one had any real interest to heading over the river to watch a soccer match in a baseball stadium, we getting group tickets (40 to 60) for 3 Red Bull games instead - Sat 6/20 v Vancouver, Sun 8/9 v NYC FC, and Fri 9/25 v Orlando.
Was at Red Bull Stadium last year, it's pretty nice.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I guess it's good neither like Arsenal, or you'd have to by them an airplane. ;)

Reaction Score
Well, I guess wanting supporting Chevy is better that buy a kit sponsors by a brothel.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4607127/greek-football-team-sponsorship-deal-brothels.html

Yes, I am in Bergen. My boys are too young to commit to travel soccer yet; but, I do know all of those names as one of those leagues is trying to recruit my 8/9 year old to go full-time soccer. for now, I am ignoring them as I want him to be a kid and he loves all three sports he currently plays. Leave specialization for middle school or later. This is the last week of rec basketball followed by a 2 week break and then rec baseball starts (I made the mistake of volunteering for soccer and have since been volunteered for baseball and basketball coaching duties). Hopefully the fields will be clear and dry by then.
I totally understand where you're coming from, but I've liked travel soccer for my kids. The boys program for our age group is a bit too intense/political, but our local travel team (can only have 15% out of towners and we have none) isn't much more time consuming than rec. We have 2 practices per week and a game on the weekend for 10 weeks in the fall and spring. We coordinate with baseball so that kids can play rec and some do travel (crazy to me). Anything in the winter is voluntary and doesn't conflict with basketball (my son played 3rd and 4th grade with a ref and keeping score, but my daughter's 3rd grade league barely resembled basketball). The club soccer teams are more intense and much more expensive ($ thousands per year). I would only look to that if my kids push for it in a few years. My son's U9 team has already lost multiple players to those clubs.

Reaction Score
I totally understand where you're coming from, but I've liked travel soccer for my kids. The boys program for our age group is a bit too intense/political, but our local travel team (can only have 15% out of towners and we have none) isn't much more time consuming than rec. We have 2 practices per week and a game on the weekend for 10 weeks in the fall and spring. We coordinate with baseball so that kids can play rec and some do travel (crazy to me). Anything in the winter is voluntary and doesn't conflict with basketball (my son played 3rd and 4th grade with a ref and keeping score, but my daughter's 3rd grade league barely resembled basketball). The club soccer teams are more intense and much more expensive ($ thousands per year). I would only look to that if my kids push for it in a few years. My son's U9 team has already lost multiple players to those clubs.

Same here. I am leaving it up to my son if he wants to do travel baseball this year. It's 1 or 2 nights or practice and a weekend game on top of 1 night a week for rec baseball practice and also a game. He also has karate twice a week and we have a family vacation to Wildwood in June and New England for 2 weeks in August. Plus, due to work, I can only spare 1 night a week to coach at it will be just rec as I don't know enough about baseball to coach travel. Half the reason he likes sports is because he can spend more time with me (I think). Will be interesting. Will be insane when my youngest son starts kindergarten and rec sports next year.

Reaction Score
Was at Red Bull Stadium last year, it's pretty nice.

The team got 1 game last year on a Saturday night against Seattle. Dempsey got a goal and Wright-Philips got a hat trick. Fun game. Our seats were right above the supports section, so it was loud and wild. My son loved it. Only major issue I saw is while the area immediately around the stadium is getting built-up, the industrial area between the stadium and the highway (I-280) is run down, full of car eating potholes, and can't handle the traffic.

Reaction Score
Anyone else see the irony of a "travel team" in one of the most densely populated areas of America?

Reaction Score
Anyone else see the irony of a "travel team" in one of the most densely populated areas of America?
It makes it much easier as a parent! I'm in way north Jersey. Our league is the Northern Counties Soccer Association, which is made up of mostly Bergen, some Passaic, a bunch of Essex, and a few Hudson County teams. The furthest my kids have played has been Newark (mostly Portuguese and some Brazilian) and Hoboken which took us about 25 minutes each. We tend to get matched up with a few of the local clubs on a regular basis, but there are always new teams each season.

It's funny, but our town rec program is too small because we're such a small town so it is combined with 2 or 3 other local towns. So since our travel program plays 5 away games, 3 of which are very local, the rec kids travel almost as much as the "travel" kids.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No Lampard, no stadium, uniforms that are basically Adidas version of Man City kits. Could the launch of an expansion club go any worse?

Based on their early results and the huge opening day crowd I would say, yes. The launch of an expansion club could go much worse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Based on their early results and the huge opening day crowd I would say, yes. The launch of an expansion club go much worse.

We'll see what happens once the novelty wears off. It used to be pretty easy to sell season tickets at the rent too.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I think it's more likely that the issues will occur around the start of May or June when the Yankees realize their beloved field is in poor shape due to the wear and tear put on by NYCFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom