NYC FC and MLS are a joke, worse than Chivas. | The Boneyard

NYC FC and MLS are a joke, worse than Chivas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...nsion-frank-lampards-contract-manchester-city

Don Garber said he would have to be a dope to allow another Chivas to exist. So I guess Don Garber really is dopey. This farce is terrible for the league. Say what you will about Chivas, but they never did something this messed up.

Turns out that Lampard's contract was always with Man City. He was never really a NYC player and yet they sold thousands of season tickets to fans on the basis that he was...

Don Garber and a few MLS owners worry about stuff that Jurgen says and what he should be doing is not letting another rogue ownership group into the league. Talk about taking your eye off the ball. Nice job Don.

No Lampard, no stadium, uniforms that are basically Adidas version of Man City kits. Could the launch of an expansion club go any worse?

Reaction Score
100% agree. Playing as a n AHL team for an EPL team is never a good thing and while Yankee Stadium is good for a marquee game or two, it is no long term answer to NYC FC's stadium needs. Always thought a second NYC team should play in Queens of Brooklyn so that it can draw NYC fans and fans from LI, which has always supported soccer well. Getting a soccer stadium for a team partially owned by the Yanks in the Met's back yard is going to be tough even without local community opposition. Folks from Manhattan can get to the Red Bulls even easy enough via PATH.

Reaction Score
100% agree. Playing as a n AHL team for an EPL team is never a good thing and while Yankee Stadium is good for a marquee game or two, it is no long term answer to NYC FC's stadium needs. Always thought a second NYC team should play in Queens of Brooklyn so that it can draw NYC fans and fans from LI, which has always supported soccer well. Getting a soccer stadium for a team partially owned by the Yanks in the Met's back yard is going to be tough even without local community opposition. Folks from Manhattan can get to the Red Bulls even easy enough via PATH.

What a mess. If they ever find a place to build a stadium, it will take two years to build it. And where are they playing their US Open Cup matches? It will be hilarious if the Cosmos get a home before they do.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
And now there's this!

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premi...-lampard-dealfinds-no-agreement-to-join-nycfc

Unreal!

And this right here shows that NYCFC are a major disaster.

Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber told Sports Illustratedearlier this week that when Lampard's move to NYCFC was initially announced, the player actually agreed not with the new club but with the City Football Group, a worldwide company run by owner Sheikh Mansour that owns both clubs and Australia's Melbourne City.

A player signs with a group that owns multiple teams and not the actual team? Ridiculous. They should shut them down before they even start. What a joke this has become!

Reaction Score
Added to the Petke firing for no apparent reason this was not a good week for soccer in Metropolitan New York.

As a business lawyer, I'm not a fan of frivolous class action suits. But someone absolutely should sue the club for allowing tickets to be sold based on Lampard when he never had a deal with the team and was always going to be subject to Man City reassigning him. It is such obvious consumer fraud that frankly I'd love to see the NY Attorney General come after them to. It's not like trading a player who you have promoted -- this is totally different and should not be allowed.

Reaction Score
Added to the Petke firing for no apparent reason this was not a good week for soccer in Metropolitan New York.

As a business lawyer, I'm not a fan of frivolous class action suits. But someone absolutely should sue the club for allowing tickets to be sold based on Lampard when he never had a deal with the team and was always going to be subject to Man City reassigning him. It is such obvious consumer fraud that frankly I'd love to see the NY Attorney General come after them to. It's not like trading a player who you have promoted -- this is totally different and should not be allowed.

I am not even a Red Bull guy and that ticked me off. The new Red Bull GM and Manager both came from the league office on 1 year deals. Some people are theorizing that this is the first step in the league taking them over.

On the second part I agree completely.

Reaction Score
And now there's this!

http://www.espnfc.us/barclays-premi...-lampard-dealfinds-no-agreement-to-join-nycfc

Unreal!

And this right here shows that NYCFC are a major disaster.

A player signs with a group that owns multiple teams and not the actual team? Ridiculous. They should shut them down before they even start. What a joke this has become!

If they league had any spine they should give the 100 Million back and say no thanks and run the club for a season or two sort like how MLB ran the Nationals.

Reaction Score
If they league had any spine they should give the 100 Million back and say no thanks and run the club for a season or two sort like how MLB ran the Nationals.

I feel bad for Pernetti who runs the business side of NYC FC as he went from the mess that Rutgers is to NYC FC and the mess that it is becoming.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Pernetti who runs the business side of NYC FC as he went from the mess that Rutgers is to NYC FC and the mess that it is becoming.

They should hire that Rutgers PR guy that just got fired. That'll fix it.

Reaction Score
They should hire that Rutgers PR guy that just got fired. That'll fix it.

No amount of PR can make Lampard appear on the pitch nor can it hide the fact that fans will be (or likely won't be) spending big bucks to watch a soccer game in a baseball park with horrible sightlines, an entire corner that will be empty due to Monument Park, and 'front row' seats that will be a good 2o to 30 yards away from the action.

Attachments

• NYCFC Yankee Stadium.jpg
    NYCFC Yankee Stadium.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 69
Reaction Score
No amount of PR can make Lampard appear on the pitch nor can it hide the fact that fans will be (or likely won't be) spending big bucks to watch a soccer game in a baseball park with horrible sightlines, an entire corner that will be empty due to Monument Park, and 'front row' seats that will be a good 2o to 30 yards away from the action.

They put the Supporter's Section on the upper deck too. That's like the ultimate middle finger.

Reaction Score
They put the Supporter's Section on the upper deck too. That's like the ultimate middle finger.

Darn, I missed that in the picture. Talk about ruining an environment. The Red Bulls supporters section is right behind the north side goal at Red Bulls arena. The game I went to, my seats were right above them. Made for a loud, fun, and festive atmosphere. I do hope that new owners can be found for that team as they have a good thing going right now, even with Henry's retirement, which I do not believe driven by the ownership issues.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Unreal.....how can a team not get it this much?? Just unreal. Anyone who goes to these games is a glutton for punishment, or as we call it here on the BY, a UConn football fan :p

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, the stadium saga continues. Don't those seats near home plat at Yankee Stadium look so attractive? Looking at least 4 years before a stadium is in place. That's aid, at least they are looking at the right areas now - Brooklyn & Queens. A key issue will be easy subway access for Brooklyn/Queens fans and highway and hopefully train access for Long Island fans.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...fc-stadium-search-now-focused-queens-brooklyn

Reaction Score
Mayday, mayday, we're going down fast, abandon ship and all hope...

After getting run over by a bus driven by his own university President at Rutgers, can't blame Pernetti for jumping off this Titanic...

http://nypost.com/2015/01/29/tim-pernettis-latest-abrupt-exit-is-just-more-nycfc-weirdness/

They also released a list of "rules" for supporters in regards to signs and all of the other things that make supporters groups effective At games that were so incredibly restrictive, that you have to wonder if NYC FC actually wants supporters groups.

Reaction Score
What part of Pernetti establishing a sound foundation for NYC FC's success, and then returning to the college sports world in the world's sports media capital is so strange? In contrast, it appears to be perfect timing if some people's overreactions have any legitimate validity. Despite short-term challenges playing at a part-owner's baseball stadium and Lampard's delayed arrival, the latter actually add further credence to NYC FC's opportunity to be disliked by opponents' fans yet eventually even more liked by locals. It's not as if most NYers give a crap what little towners think or feel about the City. ;)

Reaction Score
What part of Pernetti establishing a sound foundation for NYC FC's success, and then returning to the college sports world in the world's sports media capital is so strange? In contrast, it appears to be perfect timing if some people's overreactions have any legitimate validity. Despite short-term challenges playing at a part-owner's baseball stadium and Lampard's delayed arrival, the latter actually add further credence to NYC FC's opportunity to be disliked by opponents' fans yet eventually even more liked by locals. It's not as if most NYers give a crap what little towners think or feel about the City. ;)

Sound foundation? Ha! I feel sorry for him because the sporting side of things is clearly making what they do on the business side irrelevant. 11,000 season tickets (it's actually rumored to be closer to 9,000) for an expansion team in that market is not strong.

New Yorkers don't play second fiddle to anyone, and this is basically a farm team playing in a baseball stadium.

Reaction Score
Any word on NYC FC's attendance today? I ran in to a bunch of folks wearing their kit coming out of the Rangers game tonight, obviously heading for Penn Station after taking the B/D from Yankee Stadium to Herald Square.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom