NY Yankees 2019 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Odd to see the Yankees shopping at the Dollar Store.

Agree. And if Tulo was an item for sale in the Dollar Store, he'd be on the floor under a clearance rack that's been trampled all over by muddy boots for 6 months.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I love the fact that DRob is his own agent. I wish more players did this but I completely understand why they don't. Just a cool thing is all.

Good deal for both sides. Really hoping the Yanks can ink either Britton or Ottavino. Would prefer Britton to add another high quality LHP but Ottavino would be a good get too.

Reaction Score
Tough to see Drob leave but at least its not the Redsox as it was rumored to be. Gotta lock it up with Britton first then go after Ottavino. The Machado and Harper circus continue not even Lebron needed this much time to make a decision (no pun intended). The season is 6 weeks away come to a decision its like a game of chicken between the owners and agents.

Dooley

Reaction Score
At this point, I'd be just fine not getting Machado. Tell Machado's agent that they have the last and best offer and it's good for 1 more week. If no decision, go sign Mike Moustakas to a 1 year $10M deal and wait on Arenado next winter.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I like it. Really wanted another LHP option in the pen before using Chapman.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see who finishes the season as the closer. I thought Chapman took a step backwards last season in terms of dominance. He seemed to throw many more offspeed pitches than we're accustomed to seeing him throw. Reminds me a bit of how Goose went more and more to the slurve towards the end of his career.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The more this offseason continues with minimal/no movement, the more I'm sold on the idea of the Yanks handing Mike Moustakas a shorter term 2-3 yr deal and waiting to spend the surplus budget money next winter on Nolan Arenado/starting pitching. If they sign Arenado, Moose shifts to 1B and they trade Andujar (if they haven't already).

Machado is a huge talent but if the Yanks' brass was sold on him, he'd be signed already. They obviously have questions and concerns about handing him a long term deal. The way baseball economics are shifting, these long term deals are often death sentences for clubs. There are zero concerns about Arenado, other than being a few years older than Machado. I think they'd have zero problem handing Arenado a 8 yr deal and they'd still have plenty of money to ink a top free agent SP. There are so many elite starting pitchers who could potentially be available next winter.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The more this offseason continues with minimal/no movement, the more I'm sold on the idea of the Yanks handing Mike Moustakas a shorter term 2-3 yr deal and waiting to spend the surplus budget money next winter on Nolan Arenado/starting pitching. If they sign Arenado, Moose shifts to 1B and they trade Andujar (if they haven't already).

Machado is a huge talent but if the Yanks' brass was sold on him, he'd be signed already. They obviously have questions and concerns about handing him a long term deal. The way baseball economics are shifting, these long term deals are often death sentences for clubs. There are zero concerns about Arenado, other than being a few years older than Machado. I think they'd have zero problem handing Arenado a 8 yr deal and they'd still have plenty of money to ink a top free agent SP. There are so many elite starting pitchers who could potentially be available next winter.

Those years make a huge difference though.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

I don't see Arenado leaving Colorado.

The Yanks can focus on FAs years down the road all they want it doesn't guarantee jack. They wanted Harper. They wanted Machado. Both appear to be swing and misses.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't see Arenado leaving Colorado.

The Yanks can focus on FAs years down the road all they want it doesn't guarantee jack. They wanted Harper. They wanted Machado. Both appear to be swing and misses.

Not sure if it's a "swing and miss" or if the Yanks' new smarter, more conservative financial approach. These aren't General Turtlenecks' Yankees anymore. The way the CBA is constructed today, teams build around surplus value. Teams extract far more surplus value out of younger players in their 5-year Renewal/Arb window. These mega long-term deals are more risk and all teams, including the Yanks, are more reluctant to hand them out...as they should be. Why give Harper $300M when they're paying Aaron Judge $600K/yr? Why pay Machado $300M when they are paying Andujar $600K/yr?

Of course there is no guarantee as to who will reach free agency in future years. Agree there. And with two consecutive slow free agency periods, maybe that entices more players to lock themselves up. Maybe Arenado takes an extension offer this summer from Colorado. Maybe Rendon takes one from Washington. Maybe Sale, Cole, Verlander, etc do the same. Maybe they don't. That's completely up to the player. But it's also up to the clubs as to who they are willing to pay $200M-$300M...and if there is any hesitation whatsoever to give it to Machado and/or Harper then they absolutely shouldn't. Giving a player that kind of money has to be a complete and total no-brainer across the entire organization.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it's a "swing and miss" or if the Yanks' new smarter, more conservative financial approach. These aren't General Turtlenecks' Yankees anymore. The way the CBA is constructed today, teams build around surplus value. Teams extract far more surplus value out of younger players in their 5-year Renewal/Arb window. These mega long-term deals are more risk and all teams, including the Yanks, are more reluctant to hand them out...as they should be. Why give Harper $300M when they're paying Aaron Judge $600K/yr? Why pay Machado $300M when they are paying Andujar $600K/yr?

Of course there is no guarantee as to who will reach free agency in future years. Agree there. And with two consecutive slow free agency periods, maybe that entices more players to lock themselves up. Maybe Arenado takes an extension offer this summer from Colorado. Maybe Rendon takes one from Washington. Maybe Sale, Cole, Verlander, etc do the same. Maybe they don't. That's completely up to the player. But it's also up to the clubs as to who they are willing to pay $200M-$300M...and if there is any hesitation whatsoever to give it to Machado and/or Harper then they absolutely shouldn't. Giving a player that kind of money has to be a complete and total no-brainer across the entire organization.

Regarding Machado, there is mutual interest; but, the Yanks, as noted above, are not into spending money like they used to and generally frown upon mega-deals. Thus, if its true as reported below that Machado wants a contract that is 8+ years and give him more money each year on average than Stanton, I can see why there is a lot of hesitancy. As for Harper, his left bat would fit well at Yankee; but, their outfield is already crowded as RF is stacked and Harper is not a CF.

Thus, if the Yankees do not get either, I don't see it as a 'swing and miss.' I see it as a result of a prudent risk/reward decision. It's a philosophy I wished they utilized a bit more in 2004 or 2007 when they took on A-Rod.

Reaction Score
I am perfectly fine with letting Machado go, especially if he lands in the National League. While I still have my doubts about Andujar as a long term solution, he's certainly showed enough in his rookie year that I'm not panicked about 3B. The other factor for the Yanks is that, in the near future, they're going to have some serious bills to pay when it comes time for folks like Judge & Severino to sign their next contracts. Machado is a great player and will make any team better, but he'd be a luxury item for the Yankees, not a must have. I'd rather keep my powder dry to make sure the young nucleus of the Yankees sticks around for many years and many championships.

Reaction Score
I appear to be in the minority, but I really like Andujar. He seems to love the game, is young, cheap, great bat, weak glove. He swings the bat with an aggression that reminds me of Sheffield, but better control. I like the guy and wouldn't trade him unless we're getting a top of the rotation arm. Is he a bad clubhouse guy? I'm missing something cuz everyone wants him gone. We need some cheap players at a couple of positions so we can get high-priced FAs at other positions. Keep him!

Dooley

Reaction Score
Regarding Machado, there is mutual interest; but, the Yanks, as noted above, are not into spending money like they used to and generally frown upon mega-deals. Thus, if its true as reported below that Machado wants a contract that is 8+ years and give him more money each year on average than Stanton, I can see why there is a lot of hesitancy. As for Harper, his left bat would fit well at Yankee; but, their outfield is already crowded as RF is stacked and Harper is not a CF.

Thus, if the Yankees do not get either, I don't see it as a 'swing and miss.' I see it as a result of a prudent risk/reward decision. It's a philosophy I wished they utilized a bit more in 2004 or 2007 when they took on A-Rod.

Agree. I don't think it's a swing and miss either. I think the Yanks have gotten MUCH smarter about handing out these mega deals and who to give them to. Not for nothing, but they still have Jacoby Ellsbury on the books for 2 more seasons as a friendly reminder of what happens when they throw around money like a drunken sailor.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I am perfectly fine with letting Machado go, especially if he lands in the National League. While I still have my doubts about Andujar as a long term solution, he's certainly showed enough in his rookie year that I'm not panicked about 3B. The other factor for the Yanks is that, in the near future, they're going to have some serious bills to pay when it comes time for folks like Judge & Severino to sign their next contracts. Machado is a great player and will make any team better, but he'd be a luxury item for the Yankees, not a must have. I'd rather keep my powder dry to make sure the young nucleus of the Yankees sticks around for many years and many championships.

Agree completely. They'll have to extend their own in the coming years and I think that's far more important than upgrading Andujar to Machado. If there is "play money" available, I'd rather it go to pitching. Next year's pitching free agent class is absolutely absurd. Another factor: the Sox payroll is getting dangerously close to 50% luxury tax penalties. They also have a few big names that they'll have to extend. In other words, they'll have to make some very difficult decisions in the coming year(s) because they too have a few lofty contracts that will be close to impossible to move off the books. There are already reports of Bogaerts being shopped as he's towards the end of his Arb years. The Sox farm is thin and unless they trade off some MLB talent for prospects, they'll have a hard time maintaining. Perfect time for the Yanks to strike with cash and a deep farm.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I appear to be in the minority, but I really like Andujar. He seems to love the game, is young, cheap, great bat, weak glove. He swings the bat with an aggression that reminds me of Sheffield, but better control. I like the guy and wouldn't trade him unless we're getting a top of the rotation arm. Is he a bad clubhouse guy? I'm missing something cuz everyone wants him gone. We need some cheap players at a couple of positions so we can get high-priced FAs at other positions. Keep him!

At $600K/yr, I'd rather have Andujar too. My concern is with his glove but of all the liabilities of a baseball player, defense is probably the metric that can be fixed the easiest - just needs time and effort. The bat is obviously way ahead of the glove and if that means he is used as a DH more often, than so be it.

I am open to trading him, especially if it nets Realmuto or an elite SP. But if the ask price doesn't come down, I'm more than happy to have Andujar as our opening day 3B.

Reaction Score
If you can get Machado for less years you do it, it would improve the infield defense immensely, Tulowitzki hasn't played in a year and a half, and Didi probably won't be back till July a lot least. A lot of the pitchers are ground ball pitchers, Machado helps with that. You could DH Andujar or even try him at 1B. I do think Machado is a need more then a luxury.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Tremendously intelligent signing here. LeMahieu is a gold glover caliber 2B and now they can shift Gleyber to SS while Didi is out. When Didi comes back, Gleyber goes back to 2B and LeMahieu shifts to a corner. Love the short term on this deal too - contract will expire when guys like Judge and Severino start entering plus-Arb years.

This should take them out of Machado and rightfully so. As we've said above, any sort of "play money" should go into pitching...even if it means waiting until next winter.

Reaction Score
Busy day in the Bronx. As noted above, the Yanks have signed DJ LeMahieu from Colorado on a 2-year, $24 million contract. A versatile infield with a gold gloves under his belt that gives the Yanks a lot of versatility while on offense, he hist well; but, some folks question how much Coors Field helped his average (.289 overall career batting average while just .264 at home) and bats right while the Yanks need a left hitter or two.

Who is Yankees infielder DJ LeMahieu? 9 things to know | How much did he benefit from Coors Field?

Looks to be a solid signing and I also agree that this take the Yanks out of the Manchado sweepstakes. Unless there is another big trade in the works to free-up some outfield space, they are also out in Harper (which makes me glad for 1 reason, Boras).

The Yanks also signed RHP Drew Hutchison and OF Matt Lipka to minor league deals.

How Yankees added starting rotation depth

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom