NY Yankees 2019 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Man Morton would be a great get. Dude is gonna retire soon. Problem is you have to wonder how much he’s into it each year.

But he’s a local boy (Joel Barlow hs grad, I was 1 round from facing him in the state tourney one year) and he is good with a sinker that will play in the launching pad known as Yankee stadium

Morton on a 1 yr plus option makes sense. Yup, the sink plays anywhere. Just hope the Yanks can figure out their left side INF defense until Didi returns.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Morton on a 1 yr plus option makes sense. Yup, the sink plays anywhere. Just hope the Yanks can figure out their left side INF defense until Didi returns.

I really thought they might non tender didi to save money for Manny since didi would be hot half the year anyway.

If you can get Morton for a 1 and 1 that Is fantastic

Yanks are showing some fierce patience considering what happened in 2018

Dooley

Reaction Score
I really thought they might non tender didi to save money for Manny since didi would be hot half the year anyway.

You know, I thought they might non-tender him too just because they seem much more committed to keeping payroll down. I think Didi's scheduled to make $12M. That's a big price for a half season. Maybe the thought is some back scratching - the Yanks pay him full arb freight for a half season and he returns the favor when he's a free agent (?). Complete speculation on my part, but maybe that's the thought. He's been a big part of the rebuild/reshuffle (whatever they call it) so I think the preference is to extend him after the season.

These are not George "Turtlenecks" Steinbrenner's Yankees any more. Those Yankees would have surely spent $100M by this point in the offseason for 1 extra 2019 season win. The Yankees were a 100 win team last year. In other words, they were a very good ball club in a "normal year". But of course that gets completely overshadowed when the Red Sox have one of the best seasons in the history of baseball. I think the Sox are a 100 win team in 2019 and very much the best team in the AL, but perhaps not a 108 win team.

Reaction Score

The patience is a bit concerning though. I am not upset nor do I blame the Yanks for not offering Corbin 6 years or Evoldi 4. I am concerned with the fact they need better pitching and don't know who Severino will be. The decline in numbers for pitchers like Keuchel scare the heck out of me let's stay away from him and a trade with the Giants. Kluber numbers dropping but not enough to not be interested in a move there and Morton?......like said above a 1 year with an option but not much more.

Really intrigued with the fact we could have had Goldschmidt on O if they wanted to move a little more. But that may have led to issues getting Paxton. Hearing there's no way Cashman has plans to move Torres to SS so they are looking mostly at the 6 spot for at least a great fielding light hitter if necessary.

Still a lot to do will be very interesting.

the Q

Reaction Score
The patience is a bit concerning though. I am not upset nor do I blame the Yanks for not offering Corbin 6 years or Evoldi 4. I am concerned with the fact they need better pitching and don't know who Severino will be. The decline in numbers for pitchers like Keuchel scare the heck out of me let's stay away from him and a trade with the Giants. Kluber numbers dropping but not enough to not be interested in a move there and Morton?.like said above a 1 year with an option but not much more.

Really intrigued with the fact we could have had Goldschmidt on O if they wanted to move a little more. But that may have led to issues getting Paxton. Hearing there's no way Cashman has plans to move Torres to SS so they are looking mostly at the 6 spot for at least a great fielding light hitter if necessary.

Morton for one yer is better than basically any option out there.

He’s a Potential difference maker without a long term commitment.

If they won’t use Torres at SS then a trde for a replacement seems likely.

Someone like peraza with the reds makes sense. He’s young. Can handle it defensively and the reds have Suarez, who is a natural ss Anyway on the roster.

the Q

Reaction Score
The patience is a bit concerning though. I am not upset nor do I blame the Yanks for not offering Corbin 6 years or Evoldi 4. I am concerned with the fact they need better pitching and don't know who Severino will be. The decline in numbers for pitchers like Keuchel scare the heck out of me let's stay away from him and a trade with the Giants. Kluber numbers dropping but not enough to not be interested in a move there and Morton?.like said above a 1 year with an option but not much more.

This article sums it up nicely for me.

Sox probably should've gone this route, but they had an emotional tie to Eovaldi.

Charlie Morton among best free-agent starters

Reaction Score
The winter meetings have begun. I need to make it to Las Vegas one year for this event just to be a fly on the wall.

As for hte Yanks, after losing-out on Corbin, looks like their SP interest is now focused on Happ; but, the Yanks do not want to move off a 2 year deal. So, will the Yanks get beat (again) by a team such as Atlanta or Philly willing to offer 3 years for a 36 year old pitcher?

MLB rumors: Will Yankees, Phillies or Braves give J.A. Happ a 3-year contract? (UPDATE)

The crazier story that has been all over the place has 3-way deal the featured Syndergaard going from the Mets to the Yanks, Realmuto going fromt he Marlins to the Mets, and then Andújar and Gray going from the Yanks to the Marlins along with a few other add-ons here and their. After, the Yanks would go after Machado to play 3rd, Torres shifts to SS and then woudl need someone to take 2nd, possibly Murphy.

This transaction likely closes the door on the Yanks going for Harper, which won't make Boras happy as the Nats have already stated they are out fo the running, too. Boras needs big-budget teams to raise the prices on his free agents.

MLB trade rumors: Yankees willing to move Miguel Andujar in 3-way deal with Mets, Marlins for Noah Syndergaard, J.T. Realmuto?

I really want Realmuto for the Yanks and have concerns over Syndergaard's health, though that could be more of an issue with the Mets medical staff. Overall, its interesting as Synergaard is controllable for a few more years and is a proven entity in the NYC market. if the Yansk don't have to give-up any other big prospects, I think its a smart move assuming Sanchez put in some serious effort behind the plate this off-season.

Reaction Score
Andrew McCutchen is off to the Phillies for a 3-year deal. I assume that means the Yanks are hopefull that Clint Fraser will be contributing in 2019?

Reaction Score
From the Mets' hot stove...

Mets reportedly land veteran catcher Ramos

This plugs one of the Met's biggest needs with a 2-year, $19 Million contact for one of baseball better, veteran catchers. As this is an unrestricted FA signing, so they don't lose any prospects for a trade nor draft picks should that have signed Grandal from the Dodgers. Thus, they are likely out of the Realmuto trade discussions. In addition, it now looks like the Marlins were asking too much for Realmuto (rumor is Jeter asked for 2 of the 3 top Met prospects) and their price may come down. So, could the Yanks be back in the mix?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Ramos was a very good signing for the Mets. Seems like the Fish overplayed their hand with Realmuto after practically handing away half their roster last offseason. If the Yanks do sign Machado to play 3B, I'd have no problem trading Andujar/Sanchez for Realmuto...but not both. And both is probably what the Jeter Group will ask for or have asked for.

One guy that I'm shocked is still out there, given the position need for just about every club in baseball, is Jed Lowrie. Look at the guy's stats. Great defender, a WAR animal, professional at-bats, OBP grinder, and clubhouse leader. I guess the worry is that he's a little long in the tooth, but given the Yanks' disciplined approach to free agency, signing Lowrie to a 2 or 3 year deal and/or signing Tulo to a league minimum contract would give the club a great deal of financial flexibility for years to come. Plus it solidifies INF defense and Lowrie would give some needed LH balance to the lineup. Flip Andujar across the diamond to play 1B, look for a smaller deal for Bird, and if the roster still needs tweaking after 2019, the financial flexibility will be a huge asset for next year's monster free agent class. Arenado, Donaldson (again), Goldschmidt, Rendon, Sale, Cole, Verlander, Didi.

Reaction Score
Ramos was a very good signing for the Mets. Seems like the Fish overplayed their hand with Realmuto after practically handing away half their roster last offseason. If the Yanks do sign Machado to play 3B, I'd have no problem trading Andujar/Sanchez for Realmuto...but not both. And both is probably what the Jeter Group will ask for or have asked for.

One guy that I'm shocked is still out there, given the position need for just about every club in baseball, is Jed Lowrie. Look at the guy's stats. Great defender, a WAR animal, professional at-bats, OBP grinder, and clubhouse leader. I guess the worry is that he's a little long in the tooth, but given the Yanks' disciplined approach to free agency, signing Lowrie to a 2 or 3 year deal and/or signing Tulo to a league minimum contract would give the club a great deal of financial flexibility for years to come. Plus it solidifies INF defense and Lowrie would give some needed LH balance to the lineup. Flip Andujar across the diamond to play 1B, look for a smaller deal for Bird, and if the roster still needs tweaking after 2019, the financial flexibility will be a huge asset for next year's monster free agent class. Arenado, Donaldson (again), Goldschmidt, Rendon, Sale, Cole, Verlander, Didi.

Agree on all points and some folsk appear to be thinking along the same lines with respect to Lowrie...

Yankees Potential Free Agent Target: Jed Lowrie

Dooley

Reaction Score
Agree on all points and some folsk appear to be thinking along the same lines with respect to Lowrie...

Yankees Potential Free Agent Target: Jed Lowrie

That's a good write-up. I think Lowrie gets overshadowed a bit because he played in Oakland. I think he's the kind of guy that if you put him in pinstripes (or back in Boston), he's a fan favorite lunchpail guy. Essentially a Brett Gardner of the infield but with a much higher OBP. Yanks need some table setters and there aren't many that are too better than Lowrie. Also not a guy who would complain if he's moved down in the lineup if one of the younger guys really hits a groove.

Reaction Score
That's a good write-up. I think Lowrie gets overshadowed a bit because he played in Oakland. I think he's the kind of guy that if you put him in pinstripes (or back in Boston), he's a fan favorite lunchpail guy. Essentially a Brett Gardner of the infield but with a much higher OBP. Yanks need some table setters and there aren't many that are too better than Lowrie. Also not a guy who would complain if he's moved down in the lineup if one of the younger guys really hits a groove.

I agree that the Yanks needs more batters to get on base to maximize runs when the big bats are singing or to generate runs when they are not. Plus, he's a Switch hitter in a line-up that needs some lefty bats.

I am surprised that Dan Murphy is not being talked about more for the same reasons as a Yankee target.

On other news, it has been reported that Machado will be meeting with the White Sox within the next day or so then the Phillies and Yankees later this week. Will this lottery be over before Christmas?

Equally interest, the talk of trading Adujar and/or Sanchez and receiving Realmuto and/or another top-tier pitcher continues to make the rounds.

MLB trade rumors: Why Yankees might deal Miguel Andujar for Marlins' J.T. Realmuto

FYI, some more pitching changes. Yanks have signed Rex Brothers to a minor league deal and waived Parker Bidwell to make room for Happ on the 40-man roster.

Yankees sign Rex Brothers to minor-league contract, per report

Dooley

Reaction Score
I agree that the Yanks needs more batters to get on base to maximize runs when the big bats are singing or to generate runs when they are not. Plus, he's a Switch hitter in a line-up that needs some lefty bats.

I am surprised that Dan Murphy is not being talked about more for the same reasons as a Yankee target.

On other news, it has been reported that Machado will be meeting with the White Sox within the next day or so then the Phillies and Yankees later this week. Will this lottery be over before Christmas?

Equally interest, the talk of trading Adujar and/or Sanchez and receiving Realmuto and/or another top-tier pitcher continues to make the rounds.

MLB trade rumors: Why Yankees might deal Miguel Andujar for Marlins' J.T. Realmuto

FYI, some more pitching changes. Yanks have signed Rex Brothers to a minor league deal and waived Parker Bidwell to make room for Happ on the 40-man roster.

Yankees sign Rex Brothers to minor-league contract, per report

I like Murphy too. Lowrie is a far better defender but Murphy is an OBP machine. Putting him the 2 hole would create tons of traffic on the bases for the thumpers. If the two come at the same price tag - years and dollars - I'd probably opt for Lowrie because he's the better defender and versatile. But I wouldn't pout if they signed Murphy either.

Realmuto - now that the Mets are out, I am getting the feeling that exactly what is outlined in that article will happen. Yanks sign a better INF defender, then flip Andujar for Realmuto. The Yanks have been uber conservative in this year's pitching market. Improving catcher defense also has a positive impact on pitching numbers and replacing Sanchez with Reamulto probably shaves a quarter earned run off the team staff ERA. How happy would Severino be when he can throw his slider with full confidence? He could bounce a few and be completely confident that as long as the pitch isn't terrible, Realmuto will get out in front of it. To me, being able to unleash Severino is far more important to the team than bringing in a Patrick Corbin. And heck, I'd give Sonny Gray a crack at throwing to Realmuto too (if he's not part of a Realmuto trade, of course). Maybe he can be a road start exclusive SP.

And with a plus defender behind the dish, the Yanks will have the financial flexibility and a catcher that might entice one of 2019-20's free agent stud pitchers to don the pinstripes. Cole, Sale, Verlander, Archer, Bumgarner, Porcello, Strasburg (needs to opt out), Mikolas, Hamels...some names sexier than others but I don't see the Yanks being quite as uber conservative on the years and dollars for any of those first 3 next winter, should they reach free agency.

Reaction Score
I like Murphy too. Lowrie is a far better defender but Murphy is an OBP machine. Putting him the 2 hole would create tons of traffic on the bases for the thumpers. If the two come at the same price tag - years and dollars - I'd probably opt for Lowrie because he's the better defender and versatile. But I wouldn't pout if they signed Murphy either.

Realmuto - now that the Mets are out, I am getting the feeling that exactly what is outlined in that article will happen. Yanks sign a better INF defender, then flip Andujar for Realmuto. The Yanks have been uber conservative in this year's pitching market. Improving catcher defense also has a positive impact on pitching numbers and replacing Sanchez with Reamulto probably shaves a quarter earned run off the team staff ERA. How happy would Severino be when he can throw his slider with full confidence? He could bounce a few and be completely confident that as long as the pitch isn't terrible, Realmuto will get out in front of it. To me, being able to unleash Severino is far more important to the team than bringing in a Patrick Corbin. And heck, I'd give Sonny Gray a crack at throwing to Realmuto too (if he's not part of a Realmuto trade, of course). Maybe he can be a road start exclusive SP.

And with a plus defender behind the dish, the Yanks will have the financial flexibility and a catcher that might entice one of 2019-20's free agent stud pitchers to don the pinstripes. Cole, Sale, Verlander, Archer, Bumgarner, Porcello, Strasburg (needs to opt out), Mikolas, Hamels...some names sexier than others but I don't see the Yanks being quite as uber conservative on the years and dollars for any of those first 3 next winter, should they reach free agency.

I agree on the Lowrie v. Murphy questions, either would be a smart move. I give extra points to Murphy's proven experience under the lights of NYC and he can also play 1st if Bird still can't hit and if Viot turns into a one-hit wonder once Didi is back (assuming here that Torres shifts to SS).

I would actually like to see Adujar packaged with Gray for a top-half pitcher or high-value prospects (assuming that the Yanks make a run again at pitching in the 2020 free agency market as you note; but, I actually believe a closer maybe a priority their taking into account Champan's age).

With respect to Realmuto, I would agree with a 1-for-1 swap with the Marlins with Sanchez. The Yanks lose some bang; but, their pitching staff would come-out ahead as you noted and I think Sanchez would do better away from the pressure-cooker fo the NYC media. Not everyone can hack the NYC media, can't blame them to be honest.

All of this would also make a marriage between the Yanks and Machado more likely. So, here's a Opening Day Line-up for the Yanks (posted before).

1) SS Torres R (I think his K rate will come down in a lead-off role knowing he just needs to get on base)
2) 2B Murphy/Lowrie L/S
3) 3B Macahdo R
4) RF Judge R
5) DH Staton R
6) CF Hicks S
7) C Realmuto R
8) 1B Bird or Voit L or R (the fact that Bird bats let is why the Yanks won't get rid of him yet)
9) LF Fraser R

the Q

Reaction Score
His good numbers will now be great numbers in Colorado. Smart move by him.

First good move by Colorado in a while.

Reaction Score
One reliever is now off the market with Andrew Miller going to the Cards for a 2 year, $25 million contract.

Still no indication what the Yanks are planning with Robertson and Britton on the market, too, though Miller's deal may move the overall market forward now.

Cardinals sign lefty reliever Miller to 2-year deal

I have more concern here for the person than the team. I hope CC is alright. Yanks may need a back-up plan for their 4th/5th starter.

Yanks' Sabathia had heart procedure to add stent

Reaction Score
Well, looks like the Yanks have found their replacement for Didi Its a bargain price as the Yanks only have to pay him the league minimum $550K for the season while Troronto is on the hook for the rest of his $20 Million salary for 2019. Cashman seems to be betting that Tulowitzki's recent surgeries will keep him together long enough for Did to come back.

Sources: Yankees adding veteran SS Tulowitzki

So, looks like the Yanks next task is Machado and set-up relievers.

Reaction Score
One reliever is now off the market with Andrew Miller going to the Cards for a 2 year, $25 million contract.

Still no indication what the Yanks are planning with Robertson and Britton on the market, too, though Miller's deal may move the overall market forward now.

Cardinals sign lefty reliever Miller to 2-year deal

I have more concern here for the person than the team. I hope CC is alright. Yanks may need a back-up plan for their 4th/5th starter.

Yanks' Sabathia had heart procedure to add stent
I just had 2 stents put in. They keep you in the hospital overnight then send you home in the morning. The procedure is no big deal unless of course you die on the table. Have to be careful lifting anything for a few weeks with the wrist they used to insert the stent but there are really no other recovery issues.

the Q

Reaction Score
Well, looks like the Yanks have found their replacement for Didi Its a bargain price as the Yanks only have to pay him the league minimum $550K for the season while Troronto is on the hook for the rest of his $20 Million salary for 2019. Cashman seems to be betting that Tulowitzki's recent surgeries will keep him together long enough for Did to come back.

Sources: Yankees adding veteran SS Tulowitzki

So, looks like the Yanks next task is Machado and set-up relievers.

It’s a fine gamble and an easy one to pull the plug on if Tulo is toast.

He also could be trade bait if he performs when Didi comes back

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom