NY Yankees 2019 | The Boneyard

NY Yankees 2019

Reaction Score
So close, yet so far, especially with starting pitching. Still, the Yanks had a good season with 100+ wins and a solid core forming; but, not all of the pieces are in place yet and they have the unfortunate timing of having to share 100+ wins with both a division rival in Boston and league rival in Houston. Now under the payroll tax and several big names available along with potential trade pieces, the this off-season should be very interesting for the Bronx Bombers.

What will the Yanks look like in 2019?

Well, to start-off, the Yanks first move is to bring Gardner back, which is good for the clubhouse and gives the Yanks a solid outfield glove coming off the bench for $9.5 Million, including the buy-out, versus his original pay for 2019 of $12.5 Million.

Yankees agree with OF Gardner on 1-year deal

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think this is the kind of move that shows the Yankees' front office is a different front office than the old Steinbrenner ways. Smart, calculated financial decisions and monk like patience.

I have zero issue with bringing Gardy back. Ultimate team guy - demonstrated by his willingness to sign so quickly and so cheaply. Also necessary from a baseball perspective in that we don't know if Frazier can stay healthy and the Yanks seem resolute in keeping Stanton as the full-time DH. Plus Gardner gives professional ABs each and every time at the plate regardless if he hits at the top or bottom of the order. Covers LF very well. And if they let CC walk, his leadership would be needed even more.

I'm sure the Yanks are monitoring Clayton Kershaw's opt-out status very closely. Dodgers extended his deadline until Friday. I think if Kershaw did leave LA, he's most likely to end up closer to his Texas roots. Aside: I don't want to think about an Astros' rotation of Verlander, Cole, Kershaw, McCullers, Whitley/Morton/James/whoever.

I am still under the belief that the Yanks and Giants match up well on a potential MadBum trade. He's only signed through 2019 at a ridiculous cheap $12M before becoming a free agent in 2020. That might be where the Yanks could use some of its newfound luxury tax payroll savings - extending him to 5 or so years.

Patrick Corbin, to me, is the top free agent target with the payroll flexibility. He won't break the bank like Machado or Harper would plus he brings the biggest need: pitching. I think his stuff would play well in the AL East.

Reaction Score
A minor transaction, I guess this means that Hechavarria is not coming back.

New York Yankees acquire Hanser Alberto off waivers from Texas Rangers

Only reason I am not thrilled with this is that Ronald Torreyes will see less time. I like Torreyes as a reserve infielder as he has a good glove, is a tough out, and adds a spark to the team.

While this will not directly impact the Yanks, Kershaw is staying with LA for 3 years, $93 Million. The impact is how much money it may takes for the Yanks to go after otehr pitchers, such as Corbin.

Source: Kershaw agrees to 3-year Dodgers deal

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'm relieved Kershaw re-upped in LA. The thought of him on the Astros was beginning to make me dizzy.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if Cleveland traded Kluber to Boston, NY, Houston, etc. so that they'd face him in a playoff series.

Better to get a good package in the NL if in fact they trade him.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't think CLE would trade Kluber to NYY either. But it would be very hard for them to turn down an offer that included Estevan Florial, should he be put into any potential offer. Better yet, would they be interested in being reunited with Clint Frazier? CLE is very thin at OF in their organization and if they could add one or both of those guys to their org depth, it would definitely make them seriously consider it. If the Yanks are going to put Florial in a deal, it would be for a Kluber or Bumgarner type of SP.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I don't think CLE would trade Kluber to NYY either. But it would be very hard for them to turn down an offer that included Estevan Florial, should he be put into any potential offer. Better yet, would they be interested in being reunited with Clint Frazier? CLE is very thin at OF in their organization and if they could add one or both of those guys to their org depth, it would definitely make them seriously consider it. If the Yanks are going to put Florial in a deal, it would be for a Kluber or Bumgarner type of SP.

Florial’s stock is way down after this past season.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Florial’s stock is way down after this past season.

Definitely been a tough season for him...couldn't stay healthy. Talent and skill set is still there though. I expect 2019 will provide a nice bounce back. The skill ceiling is way too high not to rebound. The only question is whether or not he can stay healthy.

Either way, the Yanks system is loaded. If CLE decides to trade Kluber, the Yanks definitely have the prospect haul to acquire him but not gut the entire farm.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I want:

Bumgarner
Severino
Corbin
Happ and...
Tanaka

I'm in love with the idea of engaging the Giants for Bumgarner. I think the two sides match up very well. MadBum's 2019 option was picked up at a ridiculous cheap $12M for his age 29 season. Granted, the wear and tear on that age 29 arm is significantly higher given the amount of postseason innings he's also pitched. But that's precisely why I want to make a full pitch effort to get him. He's a lockdown ace with incredible postseason pedigree.

But...he's the face of that franchise. He and Buster Posey. So what would the Yankees have to offer to make it really worth the Giants' time?

Perhaps the Yankees offer to take Longoria's contract off their hands. Longoria is 33 years old and is signed through 2022 with a $5M buyout in 2023. He's owed $56.5M through 2022, which gets him through his age 36 season. Clearly not a player that the Giants can rebuild around and money the Giants could use to develop.

Longoria would be an instant defensive upgrade over Andujar at 3B. As his skills decline, he can shift over to 1B. He knows the AL East well and has good numbers against Boston. He's reasonably durable and would provide some veteran leadership. The Yanks would no doubt have to part with Andujar as part of the package, but that's a swap the Giants could reasonably build around.

Andujar, Florial/Frazier, Sheffield, Adams, Abreu, Loaisiga, even Seigler would be in play here. Perhaps a bullpen arm too (Green?). Would the Giants take back Greg Bird in a deal? They would shift Belt to OF but maybe they'd take a buy low flier on Bird with a prospect haul.

Of course, the Yanks would need to make sure they can extend Bumgarner prior to parting with the prospect haul they'd have to part with. A 4 or 5 year deal locks him up until his mid-30s.

Then take the remaining luxury tax savings and sign Patrick Corbin and fill in some holes on the bench. Perhaps re-sign Happ to a 2 year deal. A rotation of Bumgarner, Severino, Corbin, Happ and Tanaka is downright filthy and matches up against Houston at all SP1-SP5 levels.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It seems like Corbin to Ny is fait accompli.

The question is, do they make another addition.

My guess is they clear out gray. Could a reunion with eovaldi be in the fold?

They also need a ss for probably 2-3 months of the season.

Dooley

Reaction Score

The question is, do they make another addition.

My guess is they clear out gray. Could a reunion with eovaldi be in the fold?

They also need a ss for probably 2-3 months of the season.

I do recall reading that Gray has ties to Milwaukee's pitching coach and the Brewers do need to add a SP this offseason. Milwaukee has a glut of MI depth. I don't think we could get Orlando Arcia for Gray, but maybe Schoop or Perez would be available. Or, the Yanks could pivot to one of the Brewers' CI. Thames and Shaw now seem buried if they decide to extend Moose. Domingo Santana is another intriguing name buried on their position depth charts, even though he's an OF. 6' 5" would provide a nice big frame at 1B if he's open to a position swap. Otherwise, he'd be a high quality OF depth bat if OF is hit hard by the injury bug again in 2019.

the Q

Reaction Score
I do recall reading that Gray has ties to Milwaukee's pitching coach and the Brewers do need to add a SP this offseason. Milwaukee has a glut of MI depth. I don't think we could get Orlando Arcia for Gray, but maybe Schoop or Perez would be available. Or, the Yanks could pivot to one of the Brewers' CI. Thames and Shaw now seem buried if they decide to extend Moose. Domingo Santana is another intriguing name buried on their position depth charts, even though he's an OF. 6' 5" would provide a nice big frame at 1B if he's open to a position swap. Otherwise, he'd be a high quality OF depth bat if OF is hit hard by the injury bug again in 2019.

The pitching coach, Derek johnskn, left. No idea why. He’s extremely talented and the brewers staff did well this year.

Reaction Score

Could a reunion with eovaldi be in the fold?

Eovaldi, as the Yanks have seen personally, has an injury history. I believe 2018 was the fist season he did not see a significant amount of time sidelined. With Tanaka's elbow hanging by a thread already, I would pass on Eovaldi.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think Eovaldi re-ups in Boston...as their closer replacement for Kimbrel. 102mph heat 4-seam with his breaking stuff = lockdown reliever. I think he's an above average SP but man that dude opened my eyes in the postseason coming out of the pen. Dominating stuff.

Reaction Score
Do the Yankees resign Andrew McCutchen? Does Greg Bird go into Spring Training as the presumptive starter at first or is Luke Voit in play? They seem committed to Sanchez behind the plate, but how much runway do they give him? Gleyber to SS until Didi returns or keep him at 2B and bring in a different Didi replacement? How many grounders per day is Miguel Andujar taking in the offseason?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Bird will go to spring training as the backup at first. Right now that's Voit's to loose. Andujar had 15 errors this past season. Not as bad a some people make it to be. Andujar will be fine. Sanchez, I think, gets one more year to get his act together.

As to Bird or Andujar or Sanchez - none or all could be trade bait for a starting pitcher. As to McCutchen, I don't see him in the Yankees' plans.

Torres should move to short until Didi returns. Yanks can pick up a 2nd baseman to fill in or use Torreyes. I would use Torreyes.

the Q

Reaction Score
Bird will go to spring training as the backup at first. Right now that's Voit's to loose. Andujar had 15 errors this past season. Not as bad a some people make it to be. Andujar will be fine. Sanchez, I think, gets one more year to get his act together.

As to Bird or Andujar or Sanchez - none or all could be trade bait for a starting pitcher. As to McCutchen, I don't see him in the Yankees' plans.

Torres should move to short until Didi returns. Yanks can pick up a 2nd baseman to fill in or use Torreyes. I would use Torreyes.

There are going to be some nice bargains at second base this winter. It’s deep like 1b last winter.

Reaction Score
There are going to be some nice bargains at second base this winter. It’s deep like 1b last winter.

There's talk in the local paper that the Yanks may try to sign Dan Murphy for a left bat, infield depth and to help with 2B, especially with Didi out. I actually like the idea as I see such a move as an upgrade over Niel Walker, especially as a lefty bat, can provide insurance at 1B if Voit and/or Bird have issues and even fill in at 3B on rest days for other players. That talk is that the Yanks will go after him even if the Yanks go after Manny Machado.

Thus, the Yank's 'regular' 2019 infield would be 1B Voit/Bird, 2B Murphy, SS Torres, 3B Machado. Andujar would thus become a key part of a trade to land another starting pitcher.

My primary concern is with player management. Do the Yanks want to deal with 2 players in Machado and Sanchez that seem to have work ethic challenges.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm in love with the idea of engaging the Giants for Bumgarner. I think the two sides match up very well. MadBum's 2019 option was picked up at a ridiculous cheap $12M for his age 29 season. Granted, the wear and tear on that age 29 arm is significantly higher given the amount of postseason innings he's also pitched. But that's precisely why I want to make a full pitch effort to get him. He's a lockdown ace with incredible postseason pedigree.

But...he's the face of that franchise. He and Buster Posey. So what would the Yankees have to offer to make it really worth the Giants' time?

Perhaps the Yankees offer to take Longoria's contract off their hands. Longoria is 33 years old and is signed through 2022 with a $5M buyout in 2023. He's owed $56.5M through 2022, which gets him through his age 36 season. Clearly not a player that the Giants can rebuild around and money the Giants could use to develop.

Longoria would be an instant defensive upgrade over Andujar at 3B. As his skills decline, he can shift over to 1B. He knows the AL East well and has good numbers against Boston. He's reasonably durable and would provide some veteran leadership. The Yanks would no doubt have to part with Andujar as part of the package, but that's a swap the Giants could reasonably build around.

Andujar, Florial/Frazier, Sheffield, Adams, Abreu, Loaisiga, even Seigler would be in play here. Perhaps a bullpen arm too (Green?). Would the Giants take back Greg Bird in a deal? They would shift Belt to OF but maybe they'd take a buy low flier on Bird with a prospect haul.

Of course, the Yanks would need to make sure they can extend Bumgarner prior to parting with the prospect haul they'd have to part with. A 4 or 5 year deal locks him up until his mid-30s.

Then take the remaining luxury tax savings and sign Patrick Corbin and fill in some holes on the bench. Perhaps re-sign Happ to a 2 year deal. A rotation of Bumgarner, Severino, Corbin, Happ and Tanaka is downright filthy and matches up against Houston at all SP1-SP5 levels.

If they want to sign top SPs I would assume they can't bring in Longoria contracts unless they can flip Jacoby Ellsbury. And if the Giants want to sign Harper then the Yanks can help by taking Bum off their books :)

@Dooley ...your Twitter activity died. What's up?

the Q

Reaction Score
Yanks sound like they want to bring Happ back.

So Corbin, severino, tanaka, happ, CC might be your rotation.

the Q

Reaction Score
If they want to sign top SPs I would assume they can't bring in Longoria contracts unless they can flip Jacoby Ellsbury. And if the Giants want to sign Harper then the Yanks can help by taking Bum off their books :)

Fangraphs has An article that said the yanks could sign Corbin, kershaw and machado and still be around the 2015 yanks payroll. They have room to maneuver.

the Q

Reaction Score
Update: the reds hired Johnson away from the brewers.

Gray is probably less of a landing spot there

Dooley

Reaction Score

Taking a break from Twitter. Way too negative for my gentle and delicate psyche.

If taking Longoria's contract helps to land Bumgarner, they do it. But otherwise, you're right. The Yanks are not taking on any additional money unless it's to acquire a true frontline starting pitcher.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom