NY Times: Mizzou To SEC 'imminent, inevitable' | The Boneyard

NY Times: Mizzou To SEC 'imminent, inevitable'

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Disaster. TERRIBLE news for UConn.

Awful news for UConn. Not only does this increase the odds of the Big 12 raiding the Big East, but prevents the SEC from needing to poach the ACC. I have no ill will towards the ACC but if UConn ever gets an invite to that conference, we need either the SEC or Notre Dame to help us out.

Reaction Score
From what I read, BYU presents enough problems where the BXII may turn to the BE.

Let's just get this over with so we can move on...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
WVU is gone.

Then we're back to Notre Dame, BYU, Rutgers and UConn as the premium teams left on the market

Reaction Score
Flashing red siren at Big East meeting tonight.

Just in time for the exit fee vote.

Say goodbye to WVU and L'Ville.

Reaction Score
Disaster. TERRIBLE news for UConn.

Awful news for UConn. Not only does this increase the odds of the Big 12 raiding the Big East, but prevents the SEC from needing to poach the ACC. I have no ill will towards the ACC but if UConn ever gets an invite to that conference, we need either the SEC or Notre Dame to help us out.

Have no fear, Robin, your Batman is about to lose his conference.

The hoops league is gone. Per Kevin McNamara of the Providence Journal.

Notre Dame is now forced to make a move.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

Oh thank goodness. Now Notre Dame will join up with the Big 12 and the ACC will hold at 14.

I hope UConn gets an invite to the ACC, but our best shot was via SEC expansion into the ACC's footprint. If the Irish join the ACC, we are probably team #16. But I have a funny feeling they don't join.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the one move that would completely suck. We have to hope the Big 12 takes BYU and stops at 10.

If BYU passes, and the Cincinnati, Louisville and WVU leave, it looks like UConn is completely cooked. The ACC is not coming to get us, and we have wasted too much time begging harder to reconstitute the Big East. There is no guarantee that UConn and Rutgers even get into CUSA.

Reaction Score
Nelson, sorry, your dream of the Big East Double Craptastic Conference is over.

Notre Dame has no home. Like a good parasitic home, it must move on.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This is the one move that would completely suck. We have to hope the Big 12 takes BYU and stops at 10.

If BYU passes, and the Cincinnati, Louisville and WVU leave, it looks like UConn is completely cooked. The ACC is not coming to get us, and we have wasted too much time begging harder to reconstitute the Big East. There is no guarantee that UConn and Rutgers even get into CUSA.

Nelson, would you please for once STFU about "beg harder".

Regardless of whether or not that is even true, the fact remains that ultimately it wouldn't have made a god damn difference at all.

If the BigXII invites Louisville, WV and Cincy they are gone regardless of whether or not The Big East had added Houston, Boise St, and company and everyone remained "committed".

You're totally out of your mind if you think UConn and Rutgers couldn't get into C-USA too.

Edit: Has it come to this? Arguing about whether or not we are getting into C-USA?!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I'm missing something here. Why does ND have to make a move? Wouldn't sticking with the BB-only's be fine by them? Why aren't we fuc*ed?

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Waylon sir, you're pretty tiring...

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

UL, WVU, and Cincy would all leave regardless of UConn's commitment level to the Big East. They have the opportunity to play better football programs and earn more money in the Big 12.

I agree with your premise, though. Unless Herbst knows something that we don't (entirely possible, but unlikely)...we are in deep trouble.

Reaction Score
I'm missing something here. Why does ND have to make a move? Wouldn't sticking with the BB-only's be fine by them? Why aren't we fuc*ed?

I don't think they could field many sports leagues other than Basketball.

Reaction Score

Notre Dame will not leave their other sports in the catholic league.

RumRunner, you are getting ahead of yourself. I would say BYU is as much in the mix for B12 #10 as Louisville is. WVU is voting to up the exit fee. You don't do that if an invite to the B12 is on its way.

Would not be shocked if BYU is number 10 and the Big Easts expansion happens.

We'll see, i like the optimism, but i dont think we're there yet.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Waylon sir, you're pretty tiring...

But is he wrong? Other than his premise that Herbst's "begging" has hurt UConn's chances at finding a safe landing spot, I can't disagree with anything he is saying.

Reaction Score
If this thread is accurate this is playing exactly ad I thought it would the Saturday morning after the ISU Game, when I learned Pitt and SU were leaving. The bball onlies were bound to get tired of the back stabbing by the football schools.

Reaction Score
Like another poster wrote, it took 7 years for Syracuse to get into the ACC from the last realignment round, I think we are in a similar spot. In the medium term we will be alright.

Also, I feel SEC going to 16 is inevitable. Their East, West alignment does not quite balance. I believe they will look to add two eastern schools (FSU, Clemson) in the very near future.

Furthermore, if UConn and Rutgers are just hanging there with the departure of WVU, UL and UC, I can certainly see the ACC sending a lifeboat.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Everyone knew Missouri hadn't made up their mind. And lots of us felt Missouri was taking as much time as it has for two reasons. First to get the B!G to make a move to invite Missouri. Second to see if the threat of movement could get Texas to extend its revenue sharing arrangement past six years.

I'm sure Missouri gave themselves a time line so this didn't drag out forever. It appears that whatever their reason for the delay, the situation did not come about for them not to head to the SEC. So they are likely SEC bound.

The overwhelming conclusion on this forum is that this move means the B12 goes either west (BYU or BS) or east (WV or Ville) and takes one or three teams to get back to 10 or go to 12.

This seem plausible and I can't offer a good argument to put this idea down. But I've always felt OU was the pivotal player in the B12 saga and not Missouri. OU is not any happier about the LHN deal than Missouri, A&M, Colorado, and Nebraska were. So we'll find out if I'm crazy or not and learn if OU tried to use Missouri as the front man in getting Texas to reconsider before making their own decision to go to the PAC. If this is the case the TCU move was just to keep things in play in the B12 as far as OU is concerned until it could determine which way things moved.

This is a long shot. So if you don't agree with me, I spent an extra few minutes writing and wasting your time. But I recall the words of the OU people around the announcements of A&M and Missouri and they were very unhappy with Texas, so anything is possible. As they say we'll find out everything in twenty minutes.

Reaction Score

I agree there is nothing about any of this that even remotely forces Notre Dame into a conference.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
But is he wrong? Other than his premise that Herbst's "begging" has hurt UConn's chances at finding a safe landing spot, I can't disagree with anything he is saying.

The 'begging' was mostly a media creation - Herbst basically said that UConn would keep its options open - what each and every other school president in the Big East would've said in the same situation - and the news outlets ran with it.

And ran.
And ran.
And ran some more.

The whole spectacle of Herbst and UConn 'groveling' for the Greensboro Gang made for great headlines, major hits and Twit follows for a bunch of media types (particularly that Thamel dude). And unfortunately, it's also made for insufferably repetitive posts from a particular 'Yard denzien.

We've got it. So let's move on, okay?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom