NY Times article on CR effect on non-revenue sports | The Boneyard

NY Times article on CR effect on non-revenue sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I agree with the commenter who pointed out how CR is ruining peoples love of college sports and the longer distances involved in teams/fans traveling to away games. I liked and still think schools should play in the same region's which builds rivalries and local pride! Greed sure is killing the golden goose.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good article. I'd love to see a new Post NCAA realignment without that takes a fresh look at college sports and organizes everyone into new conferences geographically. It will never happen, and really shouldn't, but it would be nice for the fans (well at least for us) and the athletes.

Reaction Score
This article confirms what we already know - UConn is suffering the consequences of its horrid situation after CR. Even Geno's team is going to suffer if we can't escape this f...ing mess soon.
We are doing all the right things and we deserve better, but the reality of life in the AAC will continue to haunt us until we get out. As I posted long ago on this board, SH, WM and the BOT have to rise every morning with at least some thoughts directed on how to get UConn out of this purgatory. Let's hope a bright idea develops...

Reaction Score
Exactly the same reasons that Noles don't want to have non football sports having to travel to places so far away as Syracuse and Boston....

A long. long trip from Florida...

Reaction Score
Exactly the same reasons that Noles don't want to have non football sports having to travel to places so far away as Syracuse and Boston....

Miami is further and at one time they begged to get in the Big East.

Reaction Score

Truthfully, the ACC should've put Pitt in the Atlantic, and, Syracuse in the Coastal. That way, the two longest road trips north are split among the divisions. Just like the trips to Florida are.

Reaction Score
Miami is further and at one time they begged to get in the Big East.

I truly believe that when the ACC invited FSU, they wanted to invite Miami as well (I was hoping for PSU). But, that was smack in the middle of their worst 'thug' days. No way that the ivory tower types in Charlottesville, Chapel Hill, and Durham could've stomached that.

Reaction Score
I truly believe that when the ACC invited FSU, they wanted to invite Miami as well (I was hoping for PSU). But, that was smack in the middle of their worst 'thug' days. No way that the ivory tower types in Charlottesville, Chapel Hill, and Durham could've stomached that.
It is now clear that the ACC could care less about academics. The Ivory Tower types have clearly been overruled.

Reaction Score
I agree with the commenter who pointed out how CR is ruining peoples love of college sports and the longer distances involved in teams/fans traveling to away games. I liked and still think schools should play in the same region's which builds rivalries and local pride! Greed sure is killing the golden goose.

Agree, regional conferences with rivals and lower travel costs are better for fans, but 90 inch HD TVs and TV revenue is better for the CR decision makers (Schools, Leagues, ESPN/FOX).

Reaction Score
It is now clear that the ACC could care less about academics. The Ivory Tower types have clearly been overruled.

Oh, do not be fooled by the selection of Louisville over UConn. The ACC still cares very much about academics.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Oh, do not be fooled by the selection of Louisville over UConn. The ACC still cares very much about academics.
Please, If that's the case, why in the world didn't the ACC come down hard on The Tar Heels for the phony classed they ran??

Reaction Score
Please, If that's the case, why in the world didn't the ACC come down hard on The Tar Heels for the phony classed they ran??

That scenario has now been handed off to the NC State Bureau of Investigation. The professor has been indicted. Possible criminal charges are being sought against others involved in the phony classes case. If they come to pass, Carolina will be dealt with again by the ACC. Its not over yet.

Reaction Score
Sorry - you don't invite a community college into your ranks if academics matter.

One subpar institution gets membership, and, the league's academic standing is questioned?

Respectfully disagree.

Reaction Score
Sorry - you don't invite a community college into your ranks if academics matter.
The ACC has 8 of its 15 members ranked in the Top 50 Academically by USN&WR. The other 7 are ranked past 50, and once past 50, they all run together. Elite students aren't going to apply to any place ranked past 50 unless that school has a particular major program that is ranked really high that the student wants. No other conference has 8 in the top 50.

Everyone wants to pick on Louisvlle. They are in that bunch that runs together past 50 IMO. But they do have a quality Athletic Department that fits the ACC. Yes the ACC deviated outside its normal criteria to add Louisville, but Louisville will contribute to the League just fine.

Reaction Score
One subpar institution gets membership, and, the league's academic standing is questioned?

Respectfully disagree.

Trouble is that it is symptomatic of the desperation of the ACC's better academic institutions to placate the academically weak, but "better at football" schools.

The ACC was once known as a P-5 conference that wouldn't sell out to the football gods if it meant lessening it academic reputation. Duke, UNC, UVA, Miami, BC, GT are all very selective to different degrees. Part time member ND is of he same ilk. But, Louisville? Check the numbers - Louisville accepts approx. 72% of its applicants and only graduates approx. 50% after 6 years! Are you kidding me? Duke and Louisville in the same conference? There was zero justification for adding Louisville beyond its questionable pedigree in football. No doubt UConn has to take the first bus out of the dreadful AAC, but here's to hoping that it is the B1G that calls.

Reaction Score
Trouble is that it is symptomatic of the desperation of the ACC's better academic institutions to placate the academically weak, but "better at football" schools.

The ACC was once known as a P-5 conference that wouldn't sell out to the football gods if it meant lessening it academic reputation. Duke, UNC, UVA, Miami, BC, GT are all very selective to different degrees. Part time member ND is of he same ilk. But, Louisville? Check the numbers - Louisville accepts approx. 72% of its applicants and only graduates approx. 50% after 6 years! Are you kidding me? Duke and Louisville in the same conference? There was zero justification for adding Louisville beyond its questionable pedigree in football. No doubt UConn has to take the first bus out of the dreadful AAC, but here's to hoping that it is the B1G that calls.

If that were the pattern the ACC were following continuously, I would agree wholeheartedly with you. But, it isn't.

Texas is a Public Ivy, and, it shares it league with WVU. The four California schools in the Pac-12 are all elite academic institutions, and, they share a league with the Oregon schools, who aren't elite. Not even close.

Nebraska certainly is no academic bellwether of the plains, but, the B1G has caught no grief for adding them.

Utah and Colorado are at best average institutions, but, the Pac was not ridiculed for adding them, either.

But, the ACC is catching hell for adding Louisville, rather than UConn?

Reaction Score

You can add Wake Forest to that list. They are in the Top 50. Unless the ACC decides to invite Rice or talk Georgetown, Lehigh, or William & Mary to upgrade to FBS, it's slim pickins. Once you start adding schools ranked past 50, they all run together academically. Then it becomes an average game. Even with Louisville the ACC has the highest academic average rank of any major conference. Of course the Ivy League is higher with only 8 members.

Football was an important part of these decisions. That is a reality. You can call it sell out if you wish, but it was a factor.

Reaction Score

Respectfully disagree.

It depends on your definition of subpar. I say ranked lower than 50 is subpar. The ACC now has 7 subpar. The Big Ten now has 10 subpar for comparison. Northwestern, Michigan, Illinois, and Penn State are good academic institutions. The rest all run together.

Reaction Score
It depends on your definition of subpar. I say ranked lower than 50 is subpar. The ACC now has 7 subpar. The Big Ten now has 10 subpar for comparison. Northwestern, Michigan, Illinois, and Penn State are good academic institutions. The rest all run together.

The fact that you are basing whether a school is elite or subpar strictly off a single publication's list....and whether that school is below or above number 50.... is about the single dumbest thing I have ever read on theses boards. First off, USN&WR is just one of many different publications that ranks schools, and that publication is known to cater to smaller private schools.

So Miami is worthy of attracting elite students at #47, but Tulane and U of Texas (Austin) are subpar at #52 (tied)? Just plain asinine. I really hope for the sake of UVA that you are not that stupid. I would bet better than 90 percent of people in this country think both Tulane and UT are far better schools than Miami, despite not being as high on USNWR's list.

So you are honestly going to put Louisville (161) in the same academic category as Tulane (52) Texas (52) because after 50 "they all start to run together?"

No one in the country would agree with you, and way to mock UCONN (57) for being no better than Louisville, since both are below your magical #50.

By the way, you forgot Wisconsin at #41...not that it matters.

Reaction Score
The fact that you are basing whether a school is elite or subpar strictly off a single publication's list....and whether that school is below or above number 50.... is about the single dumbest thing I have ever read on theses boards. First off, USN&WR is just one of many different publications that ranks schools, and that publication is known to cater to smaller private schools.

So Miami is worthy of attracting elite students at #47, but Tulane and U of Texas (Austin) are subpar at #52 (tied)? Just plain asinine. I really hope for the sake of UVA that you are not that stupid. I would bet better than 90 percent of people in this country think both Tulane and UT are far better schools than Miami, despite not being as high on USNWR's list.

So you are honestly going to put Louisville (161) in the same academic category as Tulane (52) Texas (52) because after 50 "they all start to run together?"

No one in the country would agree with you, and way to mock UCONN (57) for being no better than Louisville, since both are below your magical #50.

By the way, you forgot Wisconsin at #41...not that it matters.

The Basketball Selection Committee bases who it picks for the NCAA tournament based on RPI don't they? I'd bet you don't consider a team with a RPI of 52 to be very good do you? They would be a bubble team. You can list Tulane and Texas as bubble schools. If you go onto the USNWR website, you can't even see schools past 50 on the first page. 50 is as high as it will sort on a page. What do you suggest? The top 100 is elite academically? The Top 100 basketball teams can't even make the NCAA tournament. I see academics no different.

You may not like the USNWR rankings, but that's what most go on. Private schools have an inherent advantage over public schools in academic standards because they can manage and control their acceptance standards however they want. State Legislatures get involved with how selective a public school can be, and they are more interested in serving the needs of the state residents than in trying to be academic elite usually. If you want to haggle over why Tulane and Texas are 52 and Miami is 47, it can be done. The NCAA selection committee haggles like that over the bubble teams every year. If it makes you feel better, take the schools ranked 51 to 75 and put them in the Academic NIT category.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would rather have UConn be invited to the Big Ten than the ACC.

The Big Ten spins more revenue than the ACC and has greater academic prestige.

Reaction Score
This is the hypocrisy of the ACC. Back when they took BC and Miami, they were hyping the wonderful academics of those schools and how they would boost the reputation of the ACC. With the "Ville" invite, that has now been proven to be false. They never cared about academics and still don't. I doubt that you would see the B1G take an academically inferior school just for spite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom