Number 1 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Number 1

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have had trouble caring about midseason rankings ever since Pitt's entire campus and alumni base went bonkers for being ranked #1 in January. They made T-Shirts for it, and if someone told me there was a banner hanging in Peterson for it, I would believe them.

Reaction Score
I have had trouble caring about midseason rankings ever since Pitt's entire campus and alumni base went bonkers for being ranked #1 in January. They made T-Shirts for it, and if someone told me there was a banner hanging in Peterson for it, I would believe them.
You are allowed to simultaneously care about being ranked #1 and act like we’ve been there before. Why does a second rate AD like Pitt, who hasn’t been in our conference for a decade now, influence your fandom at all?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not to worry. There isn't.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Can’t it just be something we can enjoy. Not make a big deal about it but these kids/young men work so hard. I agree over all not very significant but we care about conference player of the week and that is a nice designation to earn. The way I look at it is although the polling process is very questionable regarding it’s true accuracy on any level, it has got to feel good to be recognized as the best in the country at anytime during the year, although it’s best after every game has been played. Also I have a hard time believing that any fan of our program does not feel some level of gratification to see our team at the top of the poll. I know the young fans do and they really don’t have and agenda. After our team lost in football this weekend on a no call, I can tell you that waiting for this poll was the highlight of what would have been a bad day off from school for my two boys who are 9 and 14 after having their hearts broken by another horrible no call by the part time nfl officials, it was the perfect distraction to get their minds off of football. It is what makes being a fan fun. With all that said, I hope it is not “rat poison” and we come out Wednesday expecting to win because we are number 1.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be shocked to learn that you've "had trouble" with unusually shaped clouds passing overhead and kids on your lawn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You are allowed to simultaneously care about being ranked #1 and act like we’ve been there before. Why does a second rate AD like Pitt, who hasn’t been in our conference for a decade now, influence your fandom at all?

Sometimes someone or a group of people can't handle something and ruin it for everyone. That is Pitt with #1 rankings in January.

Also, UConn has won 3 national championships since the last time they were ranked #1 in the middle of the season. #2 vs #4 vs #1 just doesn't move the needle that much for me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
To be fair, Kansas could say the same thing about us.
Yes, the same thing could indeed be said, and it would represent no less than a nod to 'fairness.' And it would also have the factual accuracy of a head-to-head victory in support of such a claim.

In your estimation, which represents a more convincing victory: Kansas at Allen Field House by 4 points in a game played without Stephon Castle, and in which Spencer was hobbled and got too little rise on a late three-pointer that was deadon but short-armed, followed by a missed foul on Diarra, OR UConn at MSG winning by 11 points with Castle playing his first 10 minutes since his early-season injury?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be shocked to learn that you've "had trouble" with unusually shaped clouds passing overhead and kids on your lawn.

The Boneyard is the only college message board on the Internet where someone can take an easy shot at an eminently mockable program like Pitt, and posters like you will rush to the defense of a program we have every reason to dislike and mock.

The Stockholm Syndrome of this place is stifling.

Reaction Score
I listened to Jeff Goodman on Field of 68 this morning, and I kid you not, one of his top 5 reasons why Purdue should be #1 over UConn…motivation! Purdue is more motivated than any other team in the country because of their loss to a 16 seed in the 1st round last year and thus, that makes them the best team in the country…Lol!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I listened to Jeff Goodman on Field of 68 this morning, and I kid you not, one of his top 5 reasons why Purdue should be #1 over UConn…motivation! Purdue is more motivated than any other team in the country because of their loss to a 16 seed in the 1st round last year and thus, that makes them the best team in the country…Lol!

Goodman is a dipstick and probably the worst national college basketball writer, but he is still better than 50% of the college football writers. Paul Finebaum says 10 stupider things every day, and his shrill bleating about the SEC hurts my ear drums.

Reaction Score
Yes, the same thing could indeed be said, and it would represent no less than a nod to 'fairness.' And it would also have the factual accuracy of a head-to-head victory in support of such a claim.

In your estimation, which represents a more convincing victory: Kansas at Allen Field House by 4 points in a game played without Stephon Castle, and in which Spencer was hobbled and got too little rise on a late three-pointer that was deadon but short-armed, followed by a missed foul on Diarra, OR UConn at MSG winning by 11 points with Castle playing his first 10 minutes since his early-season injury?
I agree with your point but I doubt many of the voters see it that way or even watched the games.

Reaction Score
Come on, don't be overly dramatic. UConn was not a "dumpster fire of a program." The program was on a downward trajectory and changes were needed. And the AD made a quick move to stop the downward trajectory.

UConn was only 2 years removed from an NCAA Tournament appearance. Only 4 years removed from a national championship. That's so ridiculous calling them a dumpster fire. You want dumpster fire? Go look at what is going on in Louisville.
Ask Coach Hurley what the state of the program was when he took it over. I'm nearly certain that dumpster fire would sound mild by comparison.

Coach Hurley and his staff have done a miraculous job.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Can’t it just be something we can enjoy. Not make a big deal about it but these kids/young men work so hard. I agree over all not very significant but we care about conference player of the week and that is a nice designation to earn. The way I look at it is although the polling process is very questionable regarding it’s true accuracy on any level, it has got to feel good to be recognized as the best in the country at anytime during the year, although it’s best after every game has been played. Also I have a hard time believing that any fan of our program does not feel some level of gratification to see our team at the top of the poll. I know the young fans do and they really don’t have and agenda. After our team lost in football this weekend on a no call, I can tell you that waiting for this poll was the highlight of what would have been a bad day off from school for my two boys who are 9 and 14 after having their hearts broken by another horrible no call by the part time nfl officials, it was the perfect distraction to get their minds off of football. It is what makes being a fan fun. With all that said, I hope it is not “rat poison” and we come out Wednesday expecting to win because we are number 1.

Thanks dad.

Reaction Score
Waylon doesn't care about UConn rankings because of Pitt...
200w (2).gif

Reaction Score
I think its huge that Dan/staff have been able to get these guys hungry for NC #6 and be ranked #1 by mid-season. Esp. with Castle/DC injuries along the way. Championship DNA is showing.

Mind-boggling that we've had the success we've had re: NCs and not the appropriate season rankings during the season.

I'll take the trophies over rankings. Proud of the Program/our players/our coaching staff.

Let's do this!!

Reaction Score
Sometimes someone or a group of people can't handle something and ruin it for everyone. That is Pitt with #1 rankings in January.

Also, UConn has won 3 national championships since the last time they were ranked #1 in the middle of the season. #2 vs #4 vs #1 just doesn't move the needle that much for me.
I mean hey I can’t tell you what to get excited about, I don’t get it though. I’ve seen those same championships, but that hasn’t happened in 15 years is still exciting to me

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is the only college message board on the Internet where someone can take an easy shot at an eminently mockable program like Pitt, and posters like you will rush to the defense of a program we have every reason to dislike and mock.

The Stockholm Syndrome of this place is stifling.
Stifling, eh? Sounds bothersome.

Back to the topic at hand: if you were a voter, what ranking would you have chosen this week for UConn? 1, 2, 4, or something else?

I'd have voted #1, and don't think that 39 voters doing the same represents an undeserved result. Do you?

I'm not giving much attention right now toward voters who chose differently, and their votes don't upset me, which is why I asked your opinion.

You don't really consider yourself just "someone," do you?

I also find everyone else that's in BOLD too much, and wonder what motivated you to take such a strong stand on, essentially, a joke that fell flat. Engaging with a heckler results in something like this. It's time to stop digging, especially when some has already told you that there is no such banner in the Petersen Center.

And oh yeah, "Stockholm Syndrome?" :rolleyes:

[^ If I took that seriously, I'd say your a invocation of the term strikes me as indicative of you being more traumatized by Pitt than the people you seem to be calling out.]

PS - I liked reading how much you disliked Cooley's brand of basketball, but I agree with @HuskyHawk that refs didn't have it in them to call a half dozen fouls on Georgetown in the opening minutes. So long as that continues, the ugly basketball will continue. I do think that Ackerman could influence things; I don't expect it.

Take heart knowing that UConn fared better in the NCAAs during those Big East years when tough Pitt teams beat up on the Huskies. I think we'll continue to see UConn perform better than its bullybrawl conference mates, and I truly believe you agree with that.

We might not be able to do much more than hope that the team is being toughened for the long haul, and that injuries related to unchecked hard contact don't cause harm. And yes, it makes for a less pleasing entertainment product.

In case you haven't noticed, the subtext of the PS is that I'd much prefer engaging with you on points of agreement, than a lot of the goofy long balls you like to sling.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I mean hey I can’t tell you what to get excited about, I don’t get it though. I’ve seen those same championships, but that hasn’t happened in 15 years is still exciting to me

Because 25 years ago different program that hadn't been to a final 4 since Pearl Harbor, made tee shirts to commemorate the occasion, as a UConn fan in 2023 you shouldn't care about this.

Try and keep up, lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom