Ntambwe to Texas Tech | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ntambwe to Texas Tech

C

Chief00

The guys we got were all plan A's, only other plan A we really missed on was Kofi (huge miss) but we shouldn't have so much trouble getting a competent big.

This was as simple as Hurley not clearing out scholarships. Penny cleared out his whole roster to make room, Hurley does things differently.
If Danny’s goal is the NBA - I can assure him that’s not how things are done there.

pj

Reaction Score
I mean, does anyone on here actually think Cole is going to be better than Ntambwe? Because I can promise you that is not the case. Ntambwe will be a better, and more versatile, player in positions of need while Cole becomes a marginal bench guard in a crowded back court that will ideally be with a top prospect or two in the 2020 class

I'll take the other side of that. First, I think Cole is a comparable quality of player to Ntambwe. But more importantly, the risk-reward calculation here is all in favor of Cole. I think we're in good shape recruiting at SF for 2020, better than at PG. In any case if we miss on a class of 2020 SF, we can just let Bouknight or Sid or B Adams play that spot; for stretch 4 we have Polley, Akok, and Sid. If we bank on getting a 2020 PG and miss, we're in deep trouble. Hurley is managing the roster very well in my view.

Reaction Score
The guys we got were all plan A's, only other plan A we really missed on was Kofi (huge miss) but we shouldn't have so much trouble getting a competent big.

This was as simple as Hurley not clearing out scholarships. Penny cleared out his whole roster to make room, Hurley does things differently.
Stepping back from ledge

Reaction Score
It's all about scarcity fellas. An interchangeable forward with the ability to be dynamic on both ends? Or a sub-six foot, high usage chucker? Not only is one more valuable, one is easier to find and replace. Plenty lesser regarded guards, such as CV, who become good players and can be found late in the process as backups. I would say less common with wings. I don't know who we will get for guards in 2020 but I know even if we miss on a Curbelo, there is Hassan Diarra type to be found. Far less confident what happens if we miss on Thomas and/or Jackson.

Additionally, Sid is just objectively bad and has shown no signs of consistent growth and progress. I'm not talking about flashes, which he is clearly capable of, I'm talking about becoming a meaningfully good college basketball player. Ntambwe had that. The RJ Cole's of the world are a dime a dozen, he'll be lucky to replicate Cane Broome's production at Cincy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agreed. We have a great class. All four were clear targets, not second choice guys. Honestly, you don’t really want a class of more than 4, 5 at the most, unless you have one and done players. Penny does, we don’t. Cole being sit one play two is a nice benefit.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's all about scarcity fellas

No, I think it's about you resenting the fact that Kevin Ollie is no longer the head coach here. So you're taking your frustration out on the guy who replaced him by saying preposterously untrue things about the players he recruits. You want to make Dan Hurley look bad and turn public opinion against him, all because he had the gall to apply for the job when Ollie was let go.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It's all about scarcity fellas. An interchangeable forward with the ability to be dynamic on both ends? Or a sub-six foot, high usage chucker? Not only is one more valuable, one is easier to find and replace. Plenty lesser regarded guards, such as CV, who become good players and can be found late in the process as backups. I would say less common with wings. I don't know who we will get for guards in 2020 but I know even if we miss on a Curbelo, there is Hassan Diarra type to be found. Far less confident what happens if we miss on Thomas and/or Jackson.

Additionally, Sid is just objectively bad and has shown no signs of consistent growth and progress. I'm not talking about flashes, which he is clearly capable of, I'm talking about becoming a meaningfully good college basketball player. Ntambwe had that. The RJ Cole's of the world are a dime a dozen, he'll be lucky to replicate Cane Broome's production at Cincy.

Your name reflects your scouting skills. Garbage. Here’s a prediction, by the time Ntambwe suits up again, Sid will be the better wing. Ntambwe isn’t really a wing, he’s a stretch 4, and Akok is going to be a better one. He’s not a guy we needed, certainly not two years from now.

Cole will start at PG for two years here. Letting Gaffney learn the position.

Reaction Score
No, I think it's about you resenting the fact that Kevin Ollie is no longer the head coach here. So you're taking your frustration out on the guy who replaced him by saying preposterously untrue things about the players he recruits. You want to make Dan Hurley look bad and turn public opinion against him, all because he had the gall to apply for the job when Ollie was let go.
Bro the username is a troll because of people on here. I think KO got a bad deal in how things went down, but it was clear he did not have things going the right way. Doesn't mean he couldn't have fixed them, but it wasn't likely either. And I loved watching Hurley work, but I'm not going to treat him like he's Calhoun reincarnated. His first year was fine, nothing more or less really. He will have us a winner again no doubt, but I wonder about the ceiling under him and he's not infallible. Uptransfers on this scale are not as productive as I would like them to be. Maybe Cole bucks that trend, but I feel there were better uses for the scholarship, including Ntambwe

Reaction Score
Your name reflects your scouting skills. Garbage. Here’s a prediction, by the time Ntambwe suits up again, Sid will be the better wing. Ntambwe isn’t really a wing, he’s a stretch 4, and Akok is going to be a better one. He’s not a guy we needed, certainly not two years from now.

If Cole is the starting PG here I hope you all are fans of first weekend exits. And I would say there is a greater chance Sid transfers because he can't cut it/doesn't like it than he ever averages double-digits in Husky threads.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If Cole is the starting PG here I hope you all are fans of first weekend exits. And I would say there is a greater chance Sid transfers because he can't cut it/doesn't like it than he ever averages double-digits in Husky threads.

He will average double digits next year by year end. Count on it.

Reaction Score
He will average double digits next year by year end. Count on it.
Bookmarked. Will gladly be wrong. Physical potential is strong, based on what I know he is not taking the requisite steps to realize it though. Time will tell and he has plenty of it still to utilize.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

The two years is a big thing. There’s a real Chance. Ntambwe only plays one year at TT.

That said.

I was team Bones lol. But I’m happy to get Cole. He will be a contributor here. Cole is a better shooter than broome, don’t like that comp. why can’t he be Mooney?

Reaction Score

Wait, what? You think Gaffney is going to be a backup pg until his senior year?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wait, what? You think Gaffney is going to be a backup pg until his senior year?

If he beats out Cole as a Junior (or sophomore) great. But I envision something like a Bazz-Boat kind of situation. If Cole is a bench player for us as a Senior, we have one hell of a backcourt. It’s a nice problem to have. I think Hurley expects or knows Al will leave so prioritized Cole.

I truly think Hurley wants to press and run, so we should expect very high energy expenditure from everyone and a deeper bench with fewer minutes to the top 6.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
HUGE mistake. You can pull the not pushing kids out at Wagner and RI during a rebuild.. Not sure if it’s going to work here.

It’s not pushing out if a player if he is permanently injured and only played for limited minutes in 2 games. Who cares who his brother is.. That a big gamble.

Mr. Hurley has to figure out to play with the big boys you have to do unpleasant things..
And you re just the guy to tell him.
Thanks for weighing n. Now make an appointment and see hm.

Reaction Score
And you re just the guy to tell him.
Thanks for weighing n. Now make an appointment and see hm.

So you are satisfied with the fact we missed opportunities to improve or team because we do not want to move excess baggage.

That’s what you have to do sometimes. Hence why we are still stuck in the mud while other programs are improving much faster. Lets face it big time schools make moves to make room for better players.

Sorry you don’t like my opinion. We all have our thoughts on things that would help us get back to the top.

pj

Reaction Score
Hence why we are still stuck in the mud while other programs are improving much faster.

We just got a top recruiting class with Gaffney, Bouknight, Akok, and RJ Cole -- all guys with NBA potential. We are improving at a rapid clip.

Who is improving much faster than us? Only Memphis, as far as I can tell. And their methods are not ones we want.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Bookmarked. Will gladly be wrong. Physical potential is strong, based on what I know he is not taking the requisite steps to realize it though. Time will tell and he has plenty of it still to utilize.
I'm using this post as an example. Not calling out only KOFC because lots of people here do it.

How do you know what Sid is doing? You have ZERO idea what he's working on or if he's working. He's not taking the steps by not being on campus? He'll be on campus in roughly a week. He could easily be working in the city as well.

I'm not saying I disagree with you about Ntwambe. I would have taken him if it gave us a better chance at his brother. I also think he could be good. I'm not sold on Cole either, but even with high volume shooting, his percentages were still very good. That's very encouraging. Will he be a 20 ppg guy at UConn, I doubt it, but if he can distribute the ball and give us 10-12 ppg I'd take that, esp after Gilbert leaves.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So you are satisfied with the fact we missed opportunities to improve or team because we do not want to move excess baggage.

That’s what you have to do sometimes. Hence why we are still stuck in the mud while other programs are improving much faster. Lets face it big time schools make moves to make room for better players.

Sorry you don’t like my opinion. We all have our thoughts on things that would help us get back to the top.

College kids who committed to come play at your university, choosing it over others because you asked them to, are not "baggage". Treating them as such is disgraceful.

Reaction Score
I'm using this post as an example. Not calling out only KOFC because lots of people here do it.

How do you know what Sid is doing? You have ZERO idea what he's working on or if he's working. He's not taking the steps by not being on campus? He'll be on campus in roughly a week. He could easily be working in the city as well.

I'm not saying I disagree with you about Ntwambe. I would have taken him if it gave us a better chance at his brother. I also think he could be good. I'm not sold on Cole either, but even with high volume shooting, his percentages were still very good. That's very encouraging. Will he be a 20 ppg guy at UConn, I doubt it, but if he can distribute the ball and give us 10-12 ppg I'd take that, esp after Gilbert leaves.
I’d bet you he gives more than 10-12 a game

Reaction Score
College kids who committed to come play at your university, choosing it over others because you asked them to, are not "baggage". Treating them as such is disgraceful.

Imagine someone calling your kid 'baggage' because they don't have as many opportunities to come pay their own money to come jump around in a building like an idiot with their buddies a few more times a year.

Reaction Score
Lets see how much everyone complains when Carlton has 2 fouls and is on the bench 5 mins into the first half. And we have 3 guys sitting on the bench who have been there for years who can’t help us at all.

But KO offered them so we must have our hands tied behind our backs till they graduate..

Last edited:
Reaction Score

And yet, YOU haven't been removed from the BY yet! :rolleyes:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So you are satisfied with the fact we missed opportunities to improve...
What kind of a silly, presumptive, misguided interpretation is that supposed to be?

Share your thoughts with the coach if you think they're unique & valuable.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Lets see how much everyone complains when Carlton has 2 fouls and is on the bench 5 mins into the first half. And we have 3 guys sitting on the bench who have been there for years who can’t help us at all.

But KO offered them so we must have our hands tied behind our backs till they graduate..

We hired Hurley, and that's his approach. Suck it up and make your peace with it. Your complaints do nothing except clog up the board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom