NOW is Tennessee OUT of the NCAA Tournament?! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NOW is Tennessee OUT of the NCAA Tournament?!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In case it isn't up above, this is the Holly Presser Part ?:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Every time I watch one of HW’s post game lamentations, I continue to be struck by the fact that she assumes absolutely no responsibility for her team’s bad play. Her simpleminded solution is always the same. “They need to play harder.” There is never any discussion about preparation, strategy and execution, the things most directly under the purview of the coaching staff.

I honestly felt bad for the LV players last night. In their own way, they were playing hard. But when Vanderbilt made their run, and the game got tight, the LV players looked to HW for something, anything, some kind of in game adjustment to right the ship, and all they got was, “Play harder.”

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Every time I watch one of HW’s post game lamentations, I continue to be struck by the fact that she assumes absolutely no responsibility for her team’s bad play. Her simpleminded solution is always the same. “They need to play harder.” There is never any discussion about preparation, strategy and execution, the things most directly under the purview of the coaching staff.

I honestly felt bad for the LV players last night. In their own way, they were playing hard. But when Vanderbilt made their run, and the game got tight, the LV players looked to HW for something, anything, some kind of in game adjustment to right the ship, and all they got was, “Play harder.”

About mid-January she gave up on everything but intensity and play hard. This was a presser in which she blamed everybody else for giving her players who didn't know fundamentals.

Reaction Score

"It's hard on me."

"It can't get any worse... It can."

"I can't play any more games. I'm old."

"I can't put my finger on it. I just can't."

Those are the words of a coach who is bewildered and out of ideas.

I wouldn't be surprised if HW, if Tennessee fails to get a bid to the NCAA tournament, announces her resignation. How many times has she been on the verge of tears in a post-game news conference? How many more times does she want to sit in front of the cameras and make excuses for why her team recorded yet another embarrassing loss?

"It's hard on me." It has to be. She doesn't need this. UT doesn't need this. She's lost 45 games in the last four years, including to the last-place team in the SEC. This is what gets coaches fired. And this is what prompts the coach to go to the AD's office and ask for a heart-to-heart on her future.

I won't be surprised.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
While I understand your desire for a change at the top, there is a lot of “misused’ talent on this team. As I watched last night’s game I was struck by how badly coached the LV’s are...Duh!

Holly’s offense basically devolved into various players taking the ball at the top of the key and driving to the basket. Very little movement of the ball or the players. On defense, post defense was terrible. Vanderbilt scored at will. This is Basketball 101, and the LV’s are failing. But there is a lot of talent on this team.

One other point to consider. Right now TN WBB is a train wreck. There are rumblings already of players transferring. I know there’s been a lot of buzz concerning Westbrook on social media. In addition, if HW goes, will returning players petition to transfer to greener pastures and for immediate eligibility? Also, would Horston ask to be released from her LOI?

It is worth it to lose Horston and Westbrook if it means Holly leaves. Nothing will ultimately change as long as the leadership at the top remains the same.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
New records for starting to snivel...31 seconds by my watch. She's earned it class by class and game by game and the kids keep plugging on, throwing out their own sets of cliches:

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"It's hard on me."

"It can't get any worse... It can."

"I can't play any more games. I'm old."

"I can't put my finger on it. I just can't."

Those are the words of a coach who is bewildered and out of ideas.

I wouldn't be surprised if HW, if Tennessee fails to get a bid to the NCAA tournament, announces her resignation. How many times has she been on the verge of tears in a post-game news conference? How many more times does she want to sit in front of the cameras and make excuses for why her team recorded yet another embarrassing loss?

"It's hard on me." It has to be. She doesn't need this. UT doesn't need this. She's lost 45 games in the last four years, including to the last-place team in the SEC. This is what gets coaches fired. And this is what prompts the coach to go to the AD's office and ask for a heart-to-heart on her future.

I won't be surprised.
Holly is 60 and earns $700 grand per year. Holly only steps down voluntarily as HC if Fulmer maintains her current salary in some administrative role.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

When you look at this program, given where the team is right now, and the direction it’s headed, it’s hard to put a positive spin on anything they’ve done up to this point. Going forward, it’s hard to look ahead to next season with hope that things will be better. Same players, same coaches, same philosophy and approach, same results. Where are the potential bright spots? Who’s the savior?

Who or what do you place any hope or faith in next season that’s going to turn this program around? No doubt changes need to be made. This program appears headed down hill in the wrong direction. It this rock bottom and they rebound from here, or can it get worse?

Doing the same thing next year will probably yield the same results. Am I missing something here? Will Vol Nation tolerate another season of Holly Warlick and her staff?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Perhaps the decision to fire Holly should not rest on Fulmer.

Wouldn't a quicker and smarter way be best served if former (some) LadyVols write an an open letter to Holly stating something to the effect, "We have supported you from the start of taking the head coaching duties of the LadyVols, at this point in your tenure we feel the program has deteriorated to the extent nothing positive has been achieved. For the sake of Pat Summit's legacy...yada, yada, yada. We the undersigned feel the program would be best served if you relinquish your duties as head coach."

Coming from past players I would believe Holly would finally get the hint.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Wouldn't a quicker and smarter way be best served if former (some) LadyVols write an an open letter to Holly stating something to the effect, "We have supported you from the start of taking the head coaching duties of the LadyVols, at this point in your tenure we feel the program has deteriorated to the extent nothing positive has been achieved. For the sake of Pat Summit's legacy...yada, yada, yada. We the undersigned feel the program would be best served if you relinquish your duties as head coach."

Interesting idea. But don’t forget that many former LV’s not only have a strong loyalty ro Pat, but also to HW as well, Pat’s kinder, gentler Assistant. I think many ex-players would be reluctant to call on HW to step down out of intense loyalty to both Pat & HW.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

I disagree. If this letter is coming from a good place, it should NOT be an open letter, but rather a letter only sent to Holly, urging her to step down for the benefit of the program. She has tried her best, but is unable to get the team where they should be. There is no reason to embarrass her publicly. From all accounts, Holly is a nice person. Thus she should be encouraged to leave the role of head coach as cordially as possible.

But just because someone is nice is not a reason to allow them to remain as head coach. Holly has shown that she is incapable of bringing the team to the next level. In fact, the team has seriously regressed the past few years despite a plethora of talent. Holly doesn't have the quit in her to walk away without strong urging, and clearly the time for change is nigh.

Reaction Score
@Scoop Have you've been out in the sun too long?

1551455792243.png

Check page 2 of this very same thread.

This is not like you...take care of yourself. ;):rolleyes:

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Does any other bubble team have losses as bad as Tennessee? In the non updated RPI, Tennessee has losses to 89, 97, 147, 196 and if Auburn loses to LSU they likely drop out of top 50 which puts UT at just 2 top 50 wins. I dont follow the bubble teams as closely as I should, but it is mindboggling that Tennessee is still strongly in the hunt when theyll likely finish 9th or 10th in SEC play in an extremely weak year, plus have zero wins over top 25 RPI teams, compounded with some historically had losses. Nothing about their resume to me says tournament team but maybe the bubble is just very weak this year. Looking forward to seeing his projections this week.

To answer your question: yes. Indiana has a loss to Grambling, which is worse than any of Tennessee's losses, and 3 other losses to teams outside the top 100 (Northwestern and Minnesota). LSU has losses to Tulane and Kansas, which are roughly as bad as the losses to Vandy and Bama. Butler has a loss to Seton Hall and two losses to Providence.

Below are the bubble teams that appear to be competing with Tennessee for the final at-large bids.
[RPI rankings in parentheses; neutral-court games marked with (n).]

Teams Creme currently has in:
  • Indiana (51). Best wins: Iowa (8), @UCLA (31), (n)S. Dakota (35), Mich St (40), Michigan (44). Worst losses: (n)Grambling (201), Northwestern (112) x 2, Minnesota (106).
  • Auburn (50). Best wins: Mizzou (27), (n)UNC (33). Worst losses: Tennessee (65) x2.
  • LSU (61). Best wins: TAMU (16), @Fla St (22), Mizzou (27). Worst losses: Tulane (164), Kansas (147).
  • UCF (18). Best wins: @Quinnipiac (46), Villanova (47). Worst losses: @Tulane (164), @Cent Michigan (24).
  • K-State (34). Best wins: Texas (28) x2, @TCU (41), WVU (74). Worst losses: Kansas (147), @WVU (74).
Teams Creme currently has out:
  • Tennessee (65). Best wins: @Mizzou (27), @Texas (28), Auburn (50) x2, LSU (61). Worst losses: Vandy (179), @Bama (153).
  • Butler (49). Best wins: @Marquette (11), @Nova (47). Worst losses: @SHU (139), Providence (114) x2.
  • Utah (60). Best wins: Stanford (4), BYU (30), Cal (38). Worst losses: @Arizona (78).
  • TCU (41). Best wins: Iowa St (12), @K-State (34), WVU (74). Worst losses: @Okla St (128), @WVU (74).
  • W. Virginia (74). Best wins: Iowa St (12), @Texas (28), K-State (34), TCU (41). Worst losses: Oklahoma (130).

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UT doesn't care about women's basketball anymore. It's obvious.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She should have stopped after the first 40 seconds when she said "I have no words, etc..." instead of going on and on for 1 hr. That would have been more interesting.

I've lived in the South a long time and that's how it is, here. I have 2 employees I always have to ask to give me the Readers Digest version of whatever they're trying to tell me.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I disagree. If this letter is coming from a good place, it should NOT be an open letter, but rather a letter only sent to Holly, urging her to step down for the benefit of the program. She has tried her best, but is unable to get the team where they should be. There is no reason to embarrass her publicly. From all accounts, Holly is a nice person. Thus she should be encouraged to leave the role of head coach as cordially as possible.

But just because someone is nice is not a reason to allow them to remain as head coach. Holly has shown that she is incapable of bringing the team to the next level. In fact, the team has seriously regressed the past few years despite a plethora of talent. Holly doesn't have the quit in her to walk away without strong urging, and clearly the time for change is nigh.
Holly is a genuinely kind person; I sit a few rows behind the opposing head coach and she is one of the more pleasant coaches in her interactions. Unfortunately, nice doesn't get you ahead in the business world and nice doesn't win ball games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Holly is a genuinely kind person; I sit a few rows behind the opposing head coach and she is one of the more pleasant coaches in her interactions. Unfortunately, nice doesn't get you ahead in the business world and nice doesn't win ball games.
I don’t know HW and have never been around her. While many justifiably question her coaching ability, almost everyone remarks that she is a nice person. I can only speak to the person I see on tv, primarily in her post game pressers.

Author Robert McKee wrote, “True character is revealed in the choices a human being makes under pressure.” After a loss, when Holly is under pressure, she usually accepts no responsibility and frequently blames her players for not playing hard enough. While Holly is always polite, to a fault, I’m not sure if I would necessarily agree with the consensus that she is a nice person

Reaction Score
O
To answer your question: yes. Indiana has a loss to Grambling, which is worse than any of Tennessee's losses, and 3 other losses to teams outside the top 100 (Northwestern and Minnesota). LSU has losses to Tulane and Kansas, which are roughly as bad as the losses to Vandy and Bama. Butler has a loss to Seton Hall and two losses to Providence.

Below are the bubble teams that appear to be competing with Tennessee for the final at-large bids.
[RPI rankings in parentheses; neutral-court games marked with (n).]

Teams Creme currently has in:
  • Indiana (51). Best wins: Iowa (8), @UCLA (31), (n)S. Dakota (35), Mich St (40), Michigan (44). Worst losses: (n)Grambling (201), Northwestern (112) x 2, Minnesota (106).
  • Auburn (50). Best wins: Mizzou (27), (n)UNC (33). Worst losses: Tennessee (65) x2.
  • LSU (61). Best wins: TAMU (16), @Fla St (22), Mizzou (27). Worst losses: Tulane (164), Kansas (147).
  • UCF (18). Best wins: @Quinnipiac (46), Villanova (47). Worst losses: @Tulane (164), @Cent Michigan (24).
  • K-State (34). Best wins: Texas (28) x2, @TCU (41), WVU (74). Worst losses: Kansas (147), @WVU (74).
Teams Creme currently has out:
  • Tennessee (65). Best wins: @Mizzou (27), @Texas (28), Auburn (50) x2, LSU (61). Worst losses: Vandy (179), @Bama (153).
  • Butler (49). Best wins: @Marquette (11), @Nova (47). Worst losses: @SHU (139), Providence (114) x2.
  • Utah (60). Best wins: Stanford (4), BYU (30), Cal (38). Worst losses: @Arizona (78).
  • TCU (41). Best wins: Iowa St (12), @K-State (34), WVU (74). Worst losses: @Okla St (128), @WVU (74).
  • W. Virginia (74). Best wins: Iowa St (12), @Texas (28), K-State (34), TCU (41). Worst losses: Oklahoma (130).
One of UCF's worst losses is to #24 CMU and this is an issue? And how is WVU both a best win and worst loss for K-state?!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
O

One of UCF's worst losses is to #24 CMU and this is an issue? And how is WVU both a best win and worst loss for K-state?!
I didn't mean to imply that the loss to CMU was a black mark. To the contrary, I wanted to show that the thing that UCF *most* has going for it is that they only have one bad loss, to Tulane. The wins over Villanova and Quinnipiac are, to say the least, underwhelming for a would-be at-large team.

Similarly with K-State, I'm showing that K-State's only truly bad loss is to Kansas. There's a difference between calling it a team's second-worst loss and calling it a bad loss.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom