NOW is Tennessee OUT of the NCAA Tournament?! | The Boneyard

NOW is Tennessee OUT of the NCAA Tournament?!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just my $.02... I think as of this moment they are out. If they win their next game (Mississippi) and then at least 1 game in the SEC, then I think they may be in. 2 games won in the SEC conference plus a win vs. Mississippi probably guarantee them a spot. I imagine their RPI and what not is pretty solid.

But... as of this moment, they should be out. Vandy is dreadful. Probably worse than any team even in our conference. If I'm channeling Geno, this is a "really really really bad loss" for them...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unless they make a Cinderella run in the SECT....

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just my $.02... I think as of this moment they are out. If they win their next game (Mississippi) and then at least 1 game in the SEC, then I think they may be in. 2 games won in the SEC conference plus a win vs. Mississippi probably guarantee them a spot. I imagine their RPI and what not is pretty solid.

But... as of this moment, they should be out. Vandy is dreadful. Probably worse than any team even in our conference.

I think it may be closer to winning the Ole Miss + 2 wins in SEC tournament. Of course, bubble teams could continue to fall out of contention.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If they get to 20 wins then they’re in; at 19 wins they’re sweating.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They have to make a lot of noise in the SEC tournament to get back into the tournament - this is a laughably bad loss AT HOME. This may just be the final nail for HW.

TN RPI according to the NCAA site prior to this was 44 so that isn't a good argument either

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
They just lost to- wait for it!- Vanderbilt, the last-placed team.

Now with 11 losses, Tennessee has to be out of the tourney, right? I mean, even Tennessee has to be out now?

Unless the fix is in...

I just saw that score on the ESPN web page. The wheels have definitely come off of the ol' Tennessee covered wagon. They lost AT HOME to a 7-21 team?!? They were out scored 51-42 in the 2nd half, after taking a 2 point lead into the locker room at the half. :eek: WTH?!? To add insult to injury, it was senior night for Tennessee. They're not ready for post season tournament play. Stick a fork in 'em, they're done. :) Vol Nation has got to be furious. :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Forget the LV’s overall record. They are now 10th in the SEC with a 6-9 record. Unless TN comes up big in the SECT, there are 9 other teams in the conference with a better case to make to the tournament committee.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
BY poll had them #14.
Composite pre-season ranking

All polls from last spring included Hayes still being on the team.

The BY had Duke #25 in the poll..... I tried to tell yall..... but yall didnt listen to me
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Reaction Score
They just lost to- wait for it!- Vanderbilt, the last-placed team.

Now with 11 losses, Tennessee has to be out of the tourney, right? I mean, even Tennessee has to be out now?

# of losses is largely irrelevant

A win over Ole Miss and run to SECT final -> in
A win over Ole Miss and run to SECT semi -> maybe

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
They have to make a lot of noise in the SEC tournament to get back into the tournament - this is a laughably bad loss AT HOME. This may just be the final nail for HW.

TN RPI according to the NCAA site prior to this was 44 so that isn't a good argument either
Tennessee's RPI is presently 64.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow just seeing this....they're definitely out IMO. I haven't looked at how other bubble teams are doing, but this is by far the worst loss in Holly's career and arguably in Tennessee history. Vandy was 1-13 in conference play with a 195 RPI and a 6-21 record. Vandy had lost 33 out of 33 times in Knoxville with rosters that were #1 seeds, Final Four squads, etc and arguably their worst team in program history comes into Knoxville to pull off this feat. On the bright side for UT fans, a loss like this could easily push Fulmer over the edge to firing Holly. Tennessee losing to Bama 5 or 6 times in a row, finishing with a sub 500 SEC record, missing the NCAA tournament and losing to Vandy at home might finally be enough to can Holly. What an awful season for Tennessee.

Regarding seeding, Tennessee has probably the worst collection of losses by bubble teams at the moment and really no defining wins. If their RPI does drop to 64, they don't have a way to bring it back up unless they win at least 2 tournament games in the SEC tourney. If they lose to Ole Miss, I think they need to win the whole SEC tournament to get in.

Right now if Missouri holds on to beat Tennessee, Tennessee will likely play in the 8/9 game (unless Arkansas beats A&M this weekend) and need to beat Mississippi State to get into the tournament. In the 8/9 they'll likely face Auburn or LSU, and beating one of those teams likely doesn't help the cause that much IMO. Auburn is around 50 RPI, LSU is about 65.

Right now Tennessee has 0 wins against the top 25 RPI, and their wins vs 26-50 are against 2 against Auburn (47), Clemson, Missouri and Texas (26). Texas/Mizzou winning big games could push them into the top 25 RPI which helps Tennessee, and Auburn losing to LSU on Sunday could push them out of the top 50. The LVs will need a lot of help along the way to make the tournament.

I'm really hoping they miss it and Holly finally gets the ax. She has wasted so much talent in Knoxville and will continue to be a disappointing coach if she stays on. There is NO reason why this team shouldn't be a top 5-6 SEC team and top 15 team with the talent they have.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
but this is by far the worst loss in Holly's career and arguably in Tennessee history. Vandy was 1-13 in conference play with a 195 RPI and a 6-21 record. Vandy had lost 33 out of 33 times in Knoxville with rosters that were #1 seeds, Final Four squads, etc and arguably their worst team in program history comes into Knoxville to pull off this feat. On the bright side for UT fans, a loss like this could easily push Fulmer over the edge to firing Holly. Tennessee losing to Bama 5 or 6 times in a row, finishing with a sub 500 SEC record, missing the NCAA tournament and losing to Vandy at home might finally be enough to can Holly. What an awful season for Tennessee.
Wow! Your once-proud team sinks lower and lower.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow! Your once-proud team sinks lower and lower.

Honestly I'm not upset because this might finally be the push that's needed to get rid of her. I'd rather sacrifice a season and hopefully get a new coach than endure a situation like the one at Duke where P has slowly but steadily turned Duke into an irrelevant program. This is the least talented team Holly has ever coached, and almost everyone is back next year with Horston coming so if there was a year to tank, it was this one.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Honestly I'm not upset because this might finally be the push that's needed to get rid of her. I'd rather sacrifice a season and hopefully get a new coach than endure a situation like the one at Duke where P has slowly but steadily turned Duke into an irrelevant program. This is the least talented team Holly has ever coached, and almost everyone is back next year with Horston coming so if there was a year to tank, it was this one.

comeonman.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom