November 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

November 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well, they are playing high school basketball in some places.

Ashlon Jackson scored 21 points last night (11/6) in an 86-point victory. No, not a typo.

......and she probably didn't play much in the second half if at all.

Reaction Score
Let me ask a question given Jackson's final five. I know we all would like to go for everyone, but I see choices that may need to be made. I haven't seen enough of Jackson in videos to have a good read, but my best limited judgement is a versatile player in the 1-3 mold that has a good handle, shot and presumably could be a good defender. At 6 feet I could see her best path to playing time with the huskies at the 3.

Paige and Nika likely have the point guard minutes covered for the next four years. If Azzi comes, she is expected to be a starting 2 for probably 3 of her 4 years, maybe behind Williams for one learning year. With Azzi I would argue that only one from Jackson, Bransford and Rice would make sense, but without her maybe two.

I watched some of the game when Rice and Fudd were playing each other. I know she is often listed as a point guard and I can see it, but I wasn't so sure about her shot. I was very impressed with her defense and ability to take the ball strong for a mid range jumper. Although listed as a point I presume she could also play 2 or 3. As a 2 she locked more like a take it to the basket type, than an outside shooter at least from limited tape. Bransford I have seen little of, but sounds like a strong 2 that drives to the hoop, but maybe she could play elsewhere too.

So if these players are versatile enough to play the 3, wouldn't their ability there be perhaps more important to this team, given that Anna would be a senior their freshman year, and our other options for that position are less proven although still pretty good.

From that perspective how does the Boneyard see the benefits of Jackson, Bransford, or Rice if it was only one with Azzi or maybe pursuing two without her? A similar scenario may exist for the bigs. With Betts, Patterson and the one from the Tampa area that starts with a B. Don't we really only have room for one from that group as well? If so what are the relative merits and preferences for those players for our program?

Reaction Score
Let me ask a question given Jackson's final five. I know we all would like to go for everyone, but I see choices that may need to be made. I haven't seen enough of Jackson in videos to have a good read, but my best limited judgement is a versatile player in the 1-3 mold that has a good handle, shot and presumably could be a good defender. At 6 feet I could see her best path to playing time with the huskies at the 3.

Paige and Nika likely have the point guard minutes covered for the next four years. If Azzi comes, she is expected to be a starting 2 for probably 3 of her 4 years, maybe behind Williams for one learning year. With Azzi I would argue that only one from Jackson, Bransford and Rice would make sense, but without her maybe two.

I watched some of the game when Rice and Fudd were playing each other. I know she is often listed as a point guard and I can see it, but I wasn't so sure about her shot. I was very impressed with her defense and ability to take the ball strong for a mid range jumper. Although listed as a point I presume she could also play 2 or 3. As a 2 she locked more like a take it to the basket type, than an outside shooter at least from limited tape. Bransford I have seen little of, but sounds like a strong 2 that drives to the hoop, but maybe she could play elsewhere too.

So if these players are versatile enough to play the 3, wouldn't their ability there be perhaps more important to this team, given that Anna would be a senior their freshman year, and our other options for that position are less proven although still pretty good.

From that perspective how does the Boneyard see the benefits of Jackson, Bransford, or Rice if it was only one with Azzi or maybe pursuing two without her? A similar scenario may exist for the bigs. With Betts, Patterson and the one from the Tampa area that starts with a B. Don't we really only have room for one from that group as well? If so what are the relative merits and preferences for those players for our program?
IMO, Jackson is better than the other two. If UConn is really her favorite and she wants in, I’m done with guards for ‘22. I believe Barker from Tampa is the most talented 3 in the country and can play inside if needed. So I’m covered at the 2 and 3 for awhile. All I want after that is one big to play high/low with Brady. Either Patterson or Betts would be fine. But I also realize there’s very little chance I’m going to get three of those four so there will be constant adjusting to do.

Reaction Score

It's also going to be tough finding minutes at the 3 with Poffenbarger and Ducharme in the mix, both of them are the absolute definition of a 3 in today's game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Thinks it's UCLA and Georgia unless she made an unannounced change.
We can see HG has her at #31 which to me, seems a tad over-rated anyway as tall girls/women always seem over-rated to begin with (due to scarcity of height) so with her down below numerous other players 6'4" or taller (5th) how good do you really think she is, as my "go to" assessor on this board? :rolleyes:

Consider Davenport #14, Baldwin #30, Jackson #37 from class of 2019 as all over-ranked but yet Kitley #33 was very good for VPI.
Prince #8, Aquino #21, Owens #34 from 2018 have yet to even play meaningful minutes due to injury.
Boothe #3, Cooks #5, Kakala #25, Finklea-Guity #40, Williams #14 have either transferred, underwhelmed or both.

So my point is rarely does a "big" down the list (or even near the top!) contribute if at all during the first few years.
Thoughts?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
We can see HG has her at #31 which to me, seems a tad over-rated anyway as tall girls/women always seem over-rated to begin with (due to scarcity of height) so with her down below numerous other players 6'4" or taller (5th) how good do you really think she is, as my "go to" assessor on this board? :rolleyes:

Haven't seen a ton of footage from her but I've always thought she had big upside based on the little I had. She's an excellent athlete with a potential pro frame. I'd like to see her play in a game to get a sense of her basketball IQ.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn had reportedly shown interest in Grace Van Slooten. They do not make her final list of 10.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I remember someone posted this awhile back and in the beginning it mentions UConn was her favorite school at the time. This was her freshman year. I know a lot changes during high school, but if your dream school comes knocking that could be hard to pass up. Especially if you are very competitive and dont care about who may possibly be playing in front of you.

Just like Nika and Anna didnt care when they chose Uconn. They are confident in their abilities and UConn was their dream school. Would love to have Ashlon join our special group, she seems like a great kid. Happy to see we made her top 5.

Rings, that "someone" was your friendly unofficial boneyard seer..........that venerable sage from the east. He posted this video on 3 separate occasions. Word is he's a BIG fan of hers. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopkins vs STMA from fall 2020

I had the same thought about watching some of these videos after seeing Hopkins play for 3 years.

Hopkins loses a lot but they have Nnagi (#7 '22) and two top 25's in '23 in Woodson and Agara. And they add a talented freshman pg who played for another school as an 8th grader but is attending Hopkins.

Reaction Score
True, but I omitted her because Jackson is in the class of 22, meaning she would only sit for one year behind Makurat.
If the other two are also perfect definitions of a three, she would be fourth string. That would not be attractive to any recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom