November 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

November 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saylor also hit a contested jumper while being defended by she who shall not be named in the video that went along with that Intstagram post. ;)

Reaction Score
I wonder if Fudd's decision is influencing Bransford, Jackson and Rice. I am guessing Betts has an offer (though not official).

I wonder if Hollingshead is on hold until Fudd decides. I am probably not connecting the dots correctly but there was interest in Jillian at one time.

They lose at least two after the 21-22 season. Does anybody transfer (no names please)? Does anybody head to league early?(again no names, just trying to get a feel for how the big the class could be).

How many do they take besides Brady? They could take three but I am guessing they are still trying to figure out what they need.

If I had power over such things, I would take Brady, Betts and Rice and call it a day.
I think many of these potential players are either/or propositions. Fudd's decision could adversely affect the decisions of Bransford, Jackson and Rice. If Fudd says yes you certainly don't want open offers out there for all three of those players. With Fudd, those players have to decide if they are ok with a bench role for at least a couple of years, with no guarantees they would be ahead of Carolyn or Saylor as well.

We don't know what the transfer situation will be.. In addition to wanting to know certain commits before making offers, the unanticipated openings from transfers is another reason to keep some of the powder dry. It's a calculated gamble, some players won't wait and you lose the opportunity to have a crack at them, but you can make a better decision on who you need most after some of the pieces are in place.

In general it seems true that most of the time, the best players wait the longest to decide. That often means if you go for the top dog, there may not be a good game-plan B if the alternatives have committed, at least not until the next year's class.

One advantage we possibly have in those situations are the foreign prospects. When the well is dry in a bad recruiting year, we can sometimes pull a rabbit out of the hat like with Anna. With anticipated success from Aaliyah and Nika as well we can be the gold standard for good foreign players, for whom the Uconn brand is probably held in higher esteem than it even is here. The incoming transfer route is probably a distant game-plan C in my book.

The coaching staff knows far more than us, but I can see how holding off on throwing offers out to all the top players may make sense, but of course involves some downside risk too. It certainly helps when we get a top early recruit like Brady to put that class in better perspective.

Reaction Score
I think many of these potential players are either/or propositions. Fudd's decision could adversely affect the decisions of Bransford, Jackson and Rice. If Fudd says yes you certainly don't want open offers out there for all three of those players. With Fudd, those players have to decide if they are ok with a bench role for at least a couple of years, with no guarantees they would be ahead of Carolyn or Saylor as well.

We don't know what the transfer situation will be.. In addition to wanting to know certain commits before making offers, the unanticipated openings from transfers is another reason to keep some of the powder dry. It's a calculated gamble, some players won't wait and you lose the opportunity to have a crack at them, but you can make a better decision on who you need most after some of the pieces are in place.

In general it seems true that most of the time, the best players wait the longest to decide. That often means if you go for the top dog, there may not be a good game-plan B if the alternatives have committed, at least not until the next year's class.

One advantage we possibly have in those situations are the foreign prospects. When the well is dry in a bad recruiting year, we can sometimes pull a rabbit out of the hat like with Anna. With anticipated success from Aaliyah and Nika as well we can be the gold standard for good foreign players, for whom the Uconn brand is probably held in higher esteem than it even is here. The incoming transfer route is probably a distant game-plan C in my book.

The coaching staff knows far more than us, but I can see how holding off on throwing offers out to all the top players may make sense, but of course involves some downside risk too. It certainly helps when we get a top early recruit like Brady to put that class in better perspective.
Good thoughts on the foreign prospects. I would really like to see more of Anna's and Nika's younger sisters. They did look good in the short clips we saw of them. Remember their names: Hana Muhl and Agata Makurat. They are on YouTube.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some things here for discussion.

I think the transfer rules will impact UConn--they won't take many but will lose some.

If Fudd and Bueckers are both at UConn, playing time for other guards during their time could be limited. Especially point guards. Especially if Muhl is as good as has been hinted. Jackson has to be considering that.

It would be weird looking at a UConn bench with 15 or more players. Geno does not appear to be comfortable with that big a roster.

Barker and Brady seem to be similar in physical stature. If DeBerry and Gabriel develop, I would rather have a multi-purpose player like Rice.

I thought Del Rosario was 2023.

Agreed. No way Ashlon Jackson from Sour Lake Texas (2022) comes o UConn if Fudd does. I'm thinking it going to be hard to get her out of Texas any way. Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor will all be lobbying for her services. Prospect Nation has her height at 6'0". ESPN Hoopgurlz has her at 5'10".

Reaction Score
Agreed. No way Ashlon Jackson from Sour Lake Texas (2022) comes o UConn if Fudd does. I'm thinking it going to be hard to get her out of Texas any way. Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor will all be lobbying for her services. Prospect Nation has her height at 6'0". ESPN Hoopgurlz has her at 5'10".

I agree, this kid has Baylor written all over her. She is damn good player and I would love her at UConn, but it is just really hard getting kids out of Texas.

Reaction Score
That means she’s probably 5-8.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That means she’s probably 5-8.

The only way she comes here is if she is offered, and she wants to come here regardless of those in front of her.
If Fudd does come, there's not going to be a lot of minutes at guard for other players. Her and Bueckers will be on the floor 90% of the time except for a brief blow, and garbage minutes.

Reaction Score
The only way she comes here is if she is offered, and she wants to come here regardless of those in front of her.
If Fudd does come, there's not going to be a lot of minutes at guard for other players. Her and Bueckers will be on the floor 90% of the time except for a brief blow, and garbage minutes.
Yes she has options so even if UConn is her first choice, she’d be wise to just watch what happens with Fudd and how Muhl develops this season and then weigh those options. With the load of guards and wings that can play some guard Auriemma has coming in, I’d be curious as to whether she has a committable offer. To me, that will be the key. If not then of course she’ll have her pick of instate offers to play in front of family etc.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Agreed.

Possibly, we'll see. I wasn't thinking about Nika when I posted this comment. I'm NOT hating on Nika. She'll have a whole year to establish herself BEFORE Azzi would arrive. Just calling 'em like I see 'em. I could be wrong.

It's very possible that Geno will NOT be able to keep Nika on the bench, and Azzi has a hard time getting minutes. That means Nika will be balling out, and that's a good thing. We'll know by the Christmas break how good Nika is. I just want UConn to win. I don't care who he puts out there. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

If all 3 are playing well enough to start then Geno will just up the required energy expenditure until they can't play long minutes. If thinks worked out Paige could move to a wing next season. I watched a replay of a couple of the U17 games two years ago and Bueckers was eye to eye with Jones, who is listed on the Stanford roster at 6'1". Bueckers has a nice vertical too.

Reaction Score
If all 3 are playing well enough to start then Geno will just up the required energy expenditure until they can't play long minutes. If thinks worked out Paige could move to a wing next season. I watched a replay of a couple of the U17 games two years ago and Bueckers was eye to eye with Jones, who is listed on the Stanford roster at 6'1". Bueckers has a nice vertical too.
I completely agree. Taurasi played the 2 in college and now plays the 3 in the wnba. I can totally picture Paige at some point in her college career being the starting 3 at UConn depending how recruiting goes and who shows out in the years to come.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. Taurasi played the 2 in college and now plays the 3 in the wnba. I can totally picture Paige at some point in her college career being the starting 3 at UConn depending how recruiting goes and who shows out in the years to come.
I think Paige could play a-lot at the 2, and some at the 3, but I suspect 1 or 2 is best for her. Regarding the possibility of Jackson, since she is 6 foot, isn't it possible to consider her more as a contender for the 3 at Uconn. If she views herself as a 2 and Fudd comes, then I agree the odds of getting her are slim. As a 3 the competition is a little lower but still stiff.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Ashlon Jackson will announce her top 5 noon Friday, per twitter and her IG
Anyone care to guess who her list might include?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Yes she has options so even if UConn is her first choice, she’d be wise to just watch what happens with Fudd and how Muhl develops this season and then weigh those options. With the load of guards and wings that can play some guard Auriemma has coming in, I’d be curious as to whether she has a committable offer. To me, that will be the key. If not then of course she’ll have her pick of instate offers to play in front of family etc.
Isn't the norm for Geno not offer a recruit unless they make an unofficial visit to UConn first? Or, did I just make that up? Thought I read it here before. Has she visited Storrs?

I'm guessing a lot of unofficial visits which might have occurred the last 7 months throughout the country did not take place due to the pandemic.

Reaction Score
Isn't the norm for Geno not offer a recruit unless they make an unofficial visit to UConn first? Or, did I just make that up? Thought I read it here before. Has she visited Storrs?

I'm guessing a lot of unofficial visits which might have occurred the last 7 months throughout the country did not take place due to the pandemic.
I am sure someone will correct me but I feel like Liv never made an unofficial visit. When I think back it just seems like one day she sent a commitment letter and all our jaws dropped. I know that isn't exactly how it went but it feels that way.

Reaction Score
I am sure someone will correct me but I feel like Liv never made an unofficial visit. When I think back it just seems like one day she sent a commitment letter and all our jaws dropped. I know that isn't exactly how it went but it feels that way.

I may be wrong, but thought I read she did an unofficial with C Will

Reaction Score

It may be a guideline he uses or may have at one time. I can understand wanting to have some in person contact with a kid before committing to an offer. I of course don’t know if he differentiates between committable and non but assuming he gives out a limited number of offers, I would think he has a way of prioritizing them and communicating it to the kids. I don’t think she has visited given the virus situation but who knows. UConn doesn’t seem to be as transparent or have as many leaks as some these other schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom