Nova Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nova Scouting Report

Reaction Score
How the game is called by the stripes will be an impact no doubt. Our guys just need to reach a lot less and move their feet a lot more. As we move on offense if the refs see the holds, grabs it will help us, Samuels is like an assault weapon agains good offensive players, gets away with a lot.

But play through that and make shots we will be ok. Sanogo could eat them up but could be a problem of the defensive side as they play small often with Swider being the big guy with Robinson Earl. Tough match up we may want to make them bring in their big guy because Sanogo is tearing them up on O?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We

Carlton shot 6-9 and we were .639 from the two.
We also outrebounded them
We definitely out muscled them inside and Whaley played zero minutes
They made a bunch of threes
But actually won from the FT line we were 3-3
Bouk’s the only Huskie to get to the line
They were 12-16

I am not a part of the team, so I do not say “we” ...I’m old school I guess. UConn/they (hopefully that’s the proper noun/pronoun I can use Is this soft era) is what I use for reference

Reaction Score
Just don’t get into early foul trouble...
Jackson will need to be more disciplined in this aspect. He had a tough time staying out of foul trouble last game(albeit that was a clean block on Horchler). His length/athleticism makes him a valuable defender and we'll need him on the court.

Reaction Score
gotta out coach wright

good luck with that

he figured out on passing on super recruits and building a culture. a lot like good ol jc

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More curiosity than than anything, but do we take a bus or drive to Philly for tomorrow’s game?

Reaction Score
How the game is called by the stripes will be an impact no doubt. Our guys just need to reach a lot less and move their feet a lot more. As we move on offense if the refs see the holds, grabs it will help us, Samuels is like an assault weapon agains good offensive players, gets away with a lot.

But play through that and make shots we will be ok. Sanogo could eat them up but could be a problem of the defensive side as they play small often with Swider being the big guy with Robinson Earl. Tough match up we may want to make them bring in their big guy because Sanogo is tearing them up on O?
Good points..But Hurley's comment in the Crispino interview about how they play small is concerning....I hope he lets us dictate by playing big, not letting the other team dictate style like he did against St. Johns

Reaction Score
Good points..But Hurley's comment in the Crispino interview about how they play small is concerning....I hope he lets us dictate by playing big, not letting the other team dictate style like he did against St. Johns

Yeah I think our chances to beat them get better if Sanogo gets the ball and scores it early, they have to change a bit bring in that big kid more. I mean there will be times we need to go smaller but why not make them adjust a bit too? I hope we see different lineups throughout no matter. I mean if they're all making shots on the nova side it will be trouble anyway so we better answer down the other end.

CV1

Reaction Score
We also didn’t have Jackson and Bouknight for the St. John’s game. Makes a big difference. Now we can go small with those 2 in the lineup and either Whaley or Sanogo at the 5. I agree with whoever said that Jackson should defend Earl-Robinson. Jackson seems like the kind of kid that Hurley can get him fired up and focused to play solid defense on their best player.

Reaction Score
We also didn’t have Jackson and Bouknight for the St. John’s game. Makes a big difference. Now we can go small with those 2 in the lineup and either Whaley or Sanogo at the 5. I agree with whoever said that Jackson should defend Earl-Robinson. Jackson seems like the kind of kid that Hurley can get him fired up and focused to play solid defense on their best player.
Forgot about Jax not being back...my main point is to not always let the other team dictate how we play...like the end of St John's and first Prov games.

Reaction Score
More curiosity than than anything, but do we take a bus or drive to Philly for tomorrow’s game?
I'm assuming the players don't drive to games. So bus would be my guess. ?

Reaction Score
The staff needs to stress defense with our feet and movement. Sanogo, Whaley and Andre are too prone to playing D with their hands, like it or not they are going to call it. Whaley and Andre are quick enough to not do it and like others said, Adama may struggle.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This is going to be interesting. We play well with a 2 big line-up but I think in a game like this if Sanogo is on the floor we are can get destroyed from deep by who ever is giving Nova minutes at the "5".

Unlike the St. Johns game when St. Johns was shooting far above their season average from deep and pulling Sanogo down the stretch was a mistake, I think Hurley needs to have a quick hook for him in this one if he becomes a defensive liability. A big difference between this game and the St. Johns game is we have a guy named James Bouknight playing, so we won't need to rely on Sanogo or our other bigs to be our offense like we need vs St. Johns.

And hopefully Akok is healthy enough to give us some minutes tomorrow, because we could really use his speed and athleticism down low.

Reaction Score
The staff needs to stress defense with our feet and movement. Sanogo, Whaley and Andre are too prone to playing D with their hands, like it or not they are going to call it. Whaley and Andre are quick enough to not do it and like others said, Adama may struggle.
This goes hand in hand with added depth. Feet need to stay fresh, these guys aren’t robots and we go legit 9 deep in the rotation. Going to need quick spurts of energy from bench guys to keep us in this one.

Reaction Score
They have a team full of Tyrese Martin type guys. Efficient, versatile, tough, and skilled players at every position.

We will have a size advantage and the best player on the floor. Need to play desperate and be the hungrier team. Really excited for this game.

Reaction Score
Creighton beat Nova by sticking to what they do, shooting, and playing their 'A' game. St Johns beat Nova by sticking to what they do, defensive pressure, and doing it well. We need to predominately play 2 bigs and make them sweat out adjusting to us. Why let them play the way they are comfortable? I agree that Bouk, Ajax, Martin, and Whaley are a great mix and will see time, but I doubt those guys as a group can avoid foul trouble. Polley can probably match Swider. But they will have trouble matching us in the paint without fouling. Watson was out fast with 2 fouls last game. How big would it be to get Robinson-Earl to the bench by the 14min mark. Before the 99 championship game Khalid was asked how UConn could hope to match up to Duke. He looked back and said they are going to have trouble matching up to us. That should be the attitude. I agree with @NJHusky that Hurley's comments are concerning because he is running from that point of view already. I go big early and take the ball into the lane with drives, feeds to the post, and offensive rebounds. See if the refs help us at the outset.

I forgot. No wasting fouls with moving screens or bumping guys when hedging hard. Hurley needs to coach the hell out of not doing those things

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Creighton beat Nova by sticking to what they do, shooting, and playing their 'A' game. St Johns beat Nova by sticking to what they do, defensive pressure, and doing it well. We need to predominately play 2 bigs and make them sweat out adjusting to us. Why let them play the way they are comfortable? I agree that Bouk, Ajax, Martin, and Whaley are a great mix and will see time, but I doubt those guys as a group can avoid foul trouble. Polley can probably match Swider. But they will have trouble matching us in the paint without fouling. Watson was out fast with 2 fouls last game. How big would it be to get Robinson-Earl to the bench by the 14min mark. Before the 99 championship game Khalid was asked how UConn could hope to match up to Duke. He looked back and said they are going to have trouble matching up to us. That should be the attitude. I agree with @NJHusky that Hurley's comments are concerning because he is running from that point of view already. I go big early and take the ball into the lane with drives, feeds to the post, and offensive rebounds. See if the refs help us at the outset.
Amen. We are athletic enough, big enough, and talented enough that we should be the ones dictating how everyone else plays against us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom