Nova Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nova Scouting Report

Reaction Score
I think RJ shutting down Gillespie is going to be one of the stories of the game. I think James is gonna show out. Games like tomorrow is how he plays himself into a to 5-8 pick
Do they have anyone that can guard Bouk 1-1? Haven't seen any Nova games

Reaction Score
The more important point is Bouk can get to the rim at will, and I don’t think they have anyone to stop him once he gets there. He may take 8-10 free throws
Yes their interior defense is as bad as PC. Almost non existent. I think David Duke is a better defender than Justin Moore and Bouk played great last game. Also think this will be a game to look for Andre or Martin. They don’t have a 6’6” athletic dude.

Reaction Score
We need to attack the rim like animals and feed Sanogo when he has positioning. Don’t fall into a 3 point contest with Nova. Defend, rebound, run, attack the paint, and GIVE BOUKNIGHT THE BALL
Yep, don’t want to see much of Cole driving, rather have him spot up off ball. We don’t need to try and do too much, just exploit favorable matchups.

CV1

Reaction Score
Creighton beat Nova by sticking to what they do, shooting, and playing their 'A' game. St Johns beat Nova by sticking to what they do, defensive pressure, and doing it well. We need to predominately play 2 bigs and make them sweat out adjusting to us. Why let them play the way they are comfortable? I agree that Bouk, Ajax, Martin, and Whaley are a great mix and will see time, but I doubt those guys as a group can avoid foul trouble. Polley can probably match Swider. But they will have trouble matching us in the paint without fouling. Watson was out fast with 2 fouls last game. How big would it be to get Robinson-Earl to the bench by the 14min mark. Before the 99 championship game Khalid was asked how UConn could hope to match up to Duke. He looked back and said they are going to have trouble matching up to us. That should be the attitude. I agree with @NJHusky that Hurley's comments are concerning because he is running from that point of view already. I go big early and take the ball into the lane with drives, feeds to the post, and offensive rebounds. See if the refs help us at the outset.

I forgot. No wasting fouls with moving screens or bumping guys when hedging hard. Hurley needs to coach the hell out of not doing those things
Makes sense I suppose on the offensive end of trying to go big and get their best player in foul trouble. I just worry about the defensive side of things. Nova is so efficient at driving the ball and kicking out to the open man as they spread the floor so well. Not sure how Sanogo and Whaley on the floor at the same time will be able to keep up with those guys as all 5 of their guys can shoot the 3. Sanogo’s head will be on a swivel. Cole, Bouk, Jackson, Martin and Whaley is who I want out there vs. their team the majority of the time unless someone is in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
If we can shut down Robinson-Earl we will win in my opinion. I think we’ll see Jackson and Bouknight switching off on him and hopefully not letting him see the light of day. He scares me way more than Gillespie

Reaction Score
When we're on defense-want to make them uncomfortable at the 3 pt line and don't put them on the foul line for FTs. Avoid dumb fouls.

Control the boards and have smart possessions.

Reaction Score
If we can shut down Robinson-Earl we will win in my opinion. I think we’ll see Jackson and Bouknight switching off on him and hopefully not letting him see the light of day. He scares me way more than Gillespie
Jeremiah is 6’9... I can get Andre but Bouknight??? This will be a job for Whaley, Polley, Sanogo maybe.

Edit: and Akok of course.

Reaction Score
Yep, don’t want to see much of Cole driving, rather have him spot up off ball. We don’t need to try and do too much, just exploit favorable matchups.
I don't want to see any Cole driving...shoot, distribute, a few floaters..play good D, that's what we need.

Reaction Score
Jeremiah is 6’9... I can get Andre but Bouknight??? This will be a job for Whaley, Polley, Sanogo maybe.

I hope to god we don’t see too much of Polley on Robinson-Earl...I think Tyler Phommachanh would get torched. I agree maybe a combo of Jackson and Whaley or Jackson and Martin.

Reaction Score
I don't want to see any Cole driving...shoot, distribute, a few floaters..play good D, that's what we need.
Cole's D on Zegs was very good. Don't see Gillespie being a tougher match up than he was.

Need Gaff to show up this game when on the floor..

Reaction Score

Is Robinson Earls name Jeremiah? He may be listed at 6'9" but he's pushing 6'7 best. But he can play bigger no doubt.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We

Carlton shot 6-9 and we were .639 from the two.
We also outrebounded them
We definitely out muscled them inside and Whaley played zero minutes
They made a bunch of threes
But actually won from the FT line we were 3-3
Bouk’s the only Huskie to get to the line
They were 12-16

I see almost everybody proposing that we use the approach that lost us the St. Johns game. Match small vs small and try to outshoot them. I think it's the worst thing we can do. While Sanogo may not be ideal to guard them outside, they have nobody who can handle him inside. Even Carlton would cause them huge problems on that end. I hope to see as much of Akok as possibly as he gives all the height advantage and none of the perimeter defense negatives. If we avoid the "go small" mistake we can dominate the paint, and rebounding on both ends.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I see almost everybody proposing that we use the approach that lost us the St. Johns game. Match small vs small and try to outshoot them. I think it's the worst thing we can do. While Sanogo may not be ideal to guard them outside, they have nobody who can handle him inside. Even Carlton would cause them huge problems on that end. I hope to see as much of Akok as possibly as he gives all the height advantage and none of the perimeter defense negatives. If we avoid the "go small" mistake we can dominate the paint, and rebounding on both ends.

Yes you right. In fact Carlton had 12 points vs Nova last season.

Reaction Score
There's definitely an opportunity to play Sanogo tomorrow, but those minutes have to come when Whaley is on the bench. If we play 2 bigs for any length of time we're going to get run out of the gym

Reaction Score
There's definitely an opportunity to play Sanogo tomorrow, but those minutes have to come when Whaley is on the bench. If we play 2 bigs for any length of time we're going to get run out of the gym
We should almost never play the 2 bigs together against anyone. Sanogo and Whaley are both centers, so is Carlton... Bouknight, Martin, and Jackson should be playing almost the entire game every game.

Reaction Score
I think RJ shutting down Gillespie is going to be one of the stories of the game. I think James is gonna show out. Games like tomorrow is how he plays himself into a to 5-8 pick
gotta shut him down. wright obviously has another backup. but gotta get gillespie out

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They love the 3 and UConns 3pt D has been crappy: everyone of their guys can drive to the hoop and that could spell trouble. Just hope they don’t decide to press UConn. Now if Nova isn’t hitting their shots they tend to become sloppy and I would love to see UConn get into a foot race with them. UConn can win this game but a lot of things have to go their way. Rebound Rebound Rebound. Cut down on fouls because Nova will feast on the line. No stupid Ts DH and use the TIme Outs before Nova goes on one of their 10~0 runs

Reaction Score
hey love the 3 and UConns 3pt D has been crappy:
UConn's 3 point percentage defense is #152 in the country, allowing 33% (90 of 273).

Villanova on offense is #24 in the country at 38.17% and they shoot a lot of them. 163 of 427 which is an average of 10.2 made per game, good for 12th in the country.

NCAA College Men's Basketball DI current team Stats | NCAA.com

So how do you run Villanova off the three point line?

Reaction Score
“Do they have anyone that can guard Bouk 1-1? Haven't seen any Nova games”

No, I don’t think so. I think it will be a team effort, rotating different defenders on him from a defensive strategy. Moore, Daniels, and Slater. Nova will play mostly man heavy on the switches, so look for Bouk to find mismatches when he gets the switch he likes. Nova likely won’t help / double much.

Hopefully we wear Bouk down, win as a team, but Bouk likely gets his. You can’t stop him, you can only hope to contain him.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We also didn’t have Jackson and Bouknight for the St. John’s game. Makes a big difference. Now we can go small with those 2 in the lineup and either Whaley or Sanogo at the 5. I agree with whoever said that Jackson should defend Earl-Robinson. Jackson seems like the kind of kid that Hurley can get him fired up and focused to play solid defense on their best player.
No Jackson on Gillespie

Reaction Score
“Do they have anyone that can guard Bouk 1-1? Haven't seen any Nova games”

No, I don’t think so. I think it will be a team effort, rotating different defenders on him from a defensive strategy. Moore, Daniels, and Slater. Nova will play mostly man heavy on the switches, so look for Bouk to find mismatches when he gets the switch he likes. Nova likely won’t help / double much.

Hopefully we wear Bouk down, win as a team, but Bouk likely gets his. You can’t stop him, you can only hope to contain him.
Solid strategy. I think not doubling is a smart, because if guys like Cole, Polley, and Martin get off along side Bouk, y’all in trouble

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom