Nova Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nova Post Game Thread

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Nova's board was sounding off like we are right now after their last loss.

Reaction Score
85 pts to Nova without their leading scorer and played final stretch without Gillespie.

Contrary to popular believe this is not just opponents hitting "lucky" shots. It's a pattern of poor defense.
yeah exactly. Everyone here was saying how great UConn's D, but I don't see it. Overall I think there defense is solid, but certainly not excellent. How many times in the last few games do you see a lack of communication with two UConn players guarding one offensive player only to leave another player wide open for an easy pass. Know your assignments and communicate loud and clearly any switches.

Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder if anyone on this board is actually a fan of sports or if they are just a fan of wins.

We aren't perfect a d have stuff to work on but the sky isn't falling. We were only 6 point underdogs and lost by 11. The rest of our games are winnable....three to four years ago we wouldn't have been able to say that.

The negativity on this board is astounding.
There's a very large group of posters who are only a fan of UConn losing. Reading the threads created mid game was like stumbling onto a new board of accounts created within the past 2 weeks

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I sometimes wonder if anyone on this board is actually a fan of sports or if they are just a fan of wins.

We aren't perfect a d have stuff to work on but the sky isn't falling. We were only 6 point underdogs and lost by 11. The rest of our games are winnable....three to four years ago we wouldn't have been able to say that.

The negativity on this board is astounding.
I tend to agree with you. However, while I was watching today's game, I had a thought. Who here remembers when KO was our coach and Nova came into the XL and buried us? Well I had the same feeling today. For all that has changed, a few things have stayed the same. Nova is still busting us up good. They are hands down the class of the BE...like we used to be. Until we get back to challenging Nova for the top of the conference, no one here will be happy.

Reaction Score
I haven't posted in forever and I'm probably gonna get roasted for this but oh well:

I'm so glad this team doesn't give up like the fans do. Down 23 and only lost by 11. Sure, a win would have been better and playing two halves instead of one would have been better but they didn't quit.

All the negativity is blown out of proportion. 15-6, top 25 ranking, and a bid to the tourney on the table. Just chill. Glad the team fought.
This is the same thing that has happened EVERY game against Nova. Go down by 20, fight back valiantly, lose by 10-15 and DH saying wait til next time. He and the program are pretenders

Reaction Score
There's a very large group of posters who are only a fan of UConn losing. Reading the threads created mid game was like stumbling onto a new board of accounts created within the past 2 weeks
You are such a Hurley @$$kisser it's crazy...are you on his payroll? All you do is dislike any one that has anything critical to say....I'm glad you think he did a good job today.

Reaction Score
Healthy Cole, Dama and AJ.....4 points total at half.
Dama and Whaley 2 early fouls

This can just not happen.....we don't have enough answers for that scenario.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you. However, while I was watching today's game, I had a thought. Who here remembers when KO was our coach and Nova came into the XL and buried us? Well I had the same feeling today. For all that has changed, a few things have stayed the same. Nova is still busting us up good. They are hands down the class of the BE...like we used to be. Until we get back to challenging Nova for the top of the conference, no one here will be happy.
Makes valid sense. To me there is a giant void between being upset at a loss and saying the program and coach is garbage like some folks keep saying.

Reaction Score
This team will never make it the next level with Hurley. No improvement at all throughout this season. Hallmark of a poorly coached team. Same pattern year after year.
Coaches improve, too.

Wright had a stretch of 6 straight seasons where he didn't get Nova past the round of 32 and they weren't a top 50 team in any of his first 3 years.

Reaction Score
You are such a Hurley @$$kisser it's crazy...are you on his payroll? All you do is dislike any one that has anything critical to say....I'm glad you think he did a good job today.
No, I think Hurley did an awful job today and got massively outcoached. I also just think you're incredibly dumb so that's why I keep disliking your posts

Reaction Score
I haven't posted in forever and I'm probably gonna get roasted for this but oh well:

I'm so glad this team doesn't give up like the fans do. Down 23 and only lost by 11. Sure, a win would have been better and playing two halves instead of one would have been better but they didn't quit.

All the negativity is blown out of proportion. 15-6, top 25 ranking, and a bid to the tourney on the table. Just chill. Glad the team fought.
This team will never make it the next level with Hurley. No improvement at all throughout this season. Hallmark of a poorly coached team. Same pattern year after year.
100% agree

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Never is a long time. Bit of an extreme statement. The rebuild is not over yet.

Reaction Score
Hurley can’t shoot the ball himself but if his teams are all about defense and toughness and this team neither was tough nor played serviceable defense, I’m not sure what else there is to say. I guess his excuse is going to be they’re tired from the bus ride?

Reaction Score
Hurley prides himself on defense and gave up 46 in the paint and guys wide open all game. Don’t know why there are a ton of people defending him so much. He needs to change something up or we are at serious risk of not even making the tourney. Everyone saying “the sky isn’t falling” seem to forget there’s a only a month left in the season so there’s not a lot of time to improve.

Reaction Score

Without Gillespie the last 8-10 and never had Moore they’re 2nd best player. There’s nothing good about this loss or the way they’ve been playing. 9-6 in games that count is what they are and the bubble is where they are heading.

Long way to go and I hope it all changes but you can’t like the fact they don’t do well against the better teams all that often.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Positive Thoughts:
  • Started well. Played level until Sanogo’s 2nd foul. Sanogo avoided a 3rd when he came back in.
  • Liked the effort to come back in the 2nd. Fell short but hopefully some lessons were learned. This team can’t win with lazy D and sloppy turnovers.
  • Hawkins played with confidence in the second half and even played mediocre D and had a nice assist. This is what I was hoping he’d be. Bodes well.
  • Martin made some shots and looked at least 2/3 of early season Martin pre injury. Need consistency from him.
I‘m trying to be less negative. So I’ll hold those thoughts. There is more than enough of that going around. Including people blaming Cole for reasons that escape me (perhaps extreme stupidity on the part of those posters).

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Positive Thoughts:
  • Started well. Played level until Sanogo’s 2nd foul. Sanogo avoided a 3rd when he came back in.
  • Liked the effort to come back in the 2nd. Fell short but hopefully some lessons were learned. This team can’t win with lazy D and sloppy turnovers.
  • Hawkins played with confidence in the second half and even played mediocre D and had a nice assist. This is what I was hoping he’d be. Bodes well.
  • Martin made some shots and looked at least 2/3 of early season Martin pre injury. Need consistency from him.
I‘m trying to be less negative. So I’ll hold those thoughts. There is more than enough of that going around. Including people blaming Cole for reasons that escape me (perhaps extreme stupidity on the part of those posters).
Good points here, and pretty much the way I see it as well. The turnovers cost us dearly, as they will against good teams. Why we don't take better care of the ball with largely a veteran squad is beyond me. Why are we passing into traffic, and in situations where even I can telegraph them sitting on my couch, never mind the opponent? Also, I noticed many times we played rock solid, even suffocating defense, but Villanova just patiently probed and poked until they found a weak spot and cashed in, often late in the shot clock. We need to improve on closing out each possession on defense rather than breaking down in the final seconds. And it seemed we uncharacteristically did poorly on the offensive glass as if we were a bit tentative at times. Also, what has happened to Andre's confidence on offense? It seems like he's regressed as he's second-guessing himself, even passing up good shots to pass the ball to someone else instead? I feel as if the majority of the team's woes as of late can be attributed to lack of confidence/focus rather than lack of talent.

Reaction Score
For me, the problem isn’t necessarily the loss today, even though I feel we can beat Villanova, they are still expected to be the class of the big east. Losing the other night to Creighton is what bothers me. We should have won that game and we also were in the Providence and Seton hall games and feel we should have pulled those out also. I expect to win those games and at least put up a good fight against Villanova where as we expect to see them again in the bet and everyone is anticipating it. I expected that kind of a season at least this year, but I’m afraid it may be a repeat of last year. Actually we will probably win one game in the tourney.

Reaction Score

Some of the posts today may seem negative, yet a lot of posts are just frustration posts. Come Monday, you can better determine the nature of posters.

As for me, I wanted us to represent the UConn brand on National TV even if losing, and we didn't. That's very frustrating to me.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think we need to start Hawkins and move Whalley to the bench. We can't have both IW and AS out with two fouls 5 minutes into the game. Also, we need three willing 3 point shooters(Cole, Hawk, Martin) on the floor so teams don't collapse their defenses. Also, I'd like to see UConn space the floor and run some pick and rolls with Cole and Sanogo. Just a two man game with shooters available outside. Running the pick and roll with shooters might get Polley some open threes with his feet set on a kick out because running him off screens has not been successful recently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom