Nova or UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Nova or UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Shaka Smart was one option being floated.

Shaka was already coach at another BE school. Did anyone really think that was going to happen? Especially when you consider that Milwaukee is practically his home town, given that he grew up down the road in Madison. Wooing Shaka to come from Wisconsin to Philly would be like trying to get Ed Cooley to leave Providence.

I know that a lot of Villanova fans are disappointed with Neptune, but it’s a lot easier to find fault with the guy who’s there than it is to sign up a viable replacement. Neptune had only one year as a head coach but had a lot of experience with the program, with the players, and with Jay Wright’s approach to coaching. He was there for 3 of the Final Fours and got the two NCs. No one was going to be able to match that.

Every coach starts somewhere. John Thompson was a high school coach when Georgetown hired him. Pete Gillen was a ND assistant when Xavier hired him. Brad Stevens was an assistant with no head coaching experience when Butler hired him.

Reaction Score
Shaka was already coach at another BE school. Did anyone really think that was going to happen? Especially when you consider that Milwaukee is practically his home town, given that he grew up down the road in Madison. Wooing Shaka to come from Wisconsin to Philly would be like trying to get Ed Cooley to leave Providence.

I know that a lot of Villanova fans are disappointed with Neptune, but it’s a lot easier to find fault with the guy who’s there than it is to sign up a viable replacement. Neptune had only one year as a head coach but had a lot of experience with the program, with the players, and with Jay Wright’s approach to coaching. He was there for 3 of the Final Fours and got the two NCs. No one was going to be able to match that.

Every coach starts somewhere. John Thompson was a high school coach when Georgetown hired him. Pete Gillen was a ND assistant when Xavier hired him. Brad Stevens was an assistant with no head coaching experience when Butler hired him.
This is only Shaka's second season at Marquette and in the Big East. Shaka wanted to come here, Calhoun wanted Ollie. We got Ollie.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
We are tied in conference record almost half way through conference play. Both have probably 2-3 more losses than expected. Who has the better outlook for the rest of conference play and post season?
UConn.

Now get the hell outta here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shaka was already coach at another BE school. Did anyone really think that was going to happen?
Not at the time. He lobbied pretty hard for the job. He would have been a solid choice. I’m not sure we get out 4th natty with him though.

Reaction Score
Why exactly we talking about Shaka? Guy couldn’t cut it at Texas over pretty much the same span Ollie was here. Now he has a good but not great or overwhelming promising team this year. I’d much rather have Hurley.

Reaction Score
We are tied in conference record almost half way through conference play. Both have probably 2-3 more losses than expected. Who has the better outlook for the rest of conference play and post season?
Take this question to Wuhan

Reaction Score
This is only Shaka's second season at Marquette and in the Big East. Shaka wanted to come here, Calhoun wanted Ollie. We got Ollie.
Instead he went to Texas and was awful and we won the national title. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Instead he went to Texas and was awful and we won the national title. Go figure.
Didn't Shaka turn down an offer from UCLA around that time? Possibly did not want to have to clean up the mess created by Ben Howland. Job went to Steve Alford instead.

Much respect if that is true.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why exactly we talking about Shaka? Guy couldn’t cut it at Texas over pretty much the same span Ollie was here. Now he has a good but not great or overwhelming promising team this year. I’d much rather have Hurley.
Last I looked that good team sits alone a top of the NBE. So they must be the only “good “ team in conference play
As far as Shaka vs Hurley. I look at your handle
At Texas for 4 seasons, Smart took them to the NCAAs 3 times and NIT once

Reaction Score
Huh
Sounds like the Ollie era was a success then
You can decide that for yourself.
It’s more pushback to the absurd notion that Shaka’s success now at Marquette would have translated back in 2013 at UConn. He was a train wreck in Texas and more than likely would have had a similar fate here regardless of how well this season has gone. Plus, it’s a lot easier to overachieve in a given year which is what Marquette is doing than it is to sustain excellence. That’s still a tbd.

Reaction Score

He was at VCU at the time.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Last I looked that good team sits alone a top of the NBE. So they must be the only”good” team in conference play?
As far as Shaka vs DH, I look at your handle and now the numbers:
At Texas for 5 seasons of post season eligibility, Smart took them to 3 NCAAs and 1 NIT
At VCU for 6 seasons, Smart took them to the NCAAs 5 times, winning multiple games and playing in 1 Final 4. VCU played in the CBI his 1st season
At Marquette, his second season, he has a 25-11 NBE record
They both have coached with 12 years of eligible post season play. Shaka has led his teams to 9 NCAA bids, 1 NIT(champions) and 1 CBI (champions) = 11 out of 12 years. DH has 4 NCAA bids and 1 NIT (2nd round loss) = 5 out of 12
You can have DH but as far as saying Shaka “couldn’t cut it” at Texas, please compare Shaka’s tenure at Texas vs DH here at UConn and tell me that DH is “cutting it” better in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Some people just can’t let go of KO
Sad
I will never let go of 2014

It was Tom Brady’s 4th Ring
Lebron’s title with Cleveland
Jordan’s 2nd three-peat
Kobes back to back without Shaq

It was the solidification of UConn’s elite status.

Never forget :’)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24