Notre Dame's Future | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Notre Dame's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have not followed Sam Brunelle at ND. I did see her in a picture recently and she looked a lot 'bigger' than in high school. Now in this article several references to Brunelle being out of shape. I know she had an injury. Is that the reason? Or has she lost some motivation and stopped working as hard or both?.

Whatever the reason, it is a shame because she was a truly great looking prospect out of HS. If anyone could shed some light I would appreciate it. Thanks

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I have not followed Sam Brunelle at ND. I did see her in a picture recently and she looked a lot 'bigger' than in high school. Now in this article several references to Brunelle being out of shape. I know she had an injury. Is that the reason? Or has she lost some motivation and stopped working as hard or both?.

Whatever the reason, it is a shame because she was a truly great looking prospect out of HS. If anyone could shed some light I would appreciate it. Thanks

She was limited in the offseason by nagging injuries. Had subpar conditioning to start the season and never got it turned around.

Reaction Score
Campbell and Hayes I could see coming from a mile away. Hayes I could predict when Miles committed, but Campbell came from the lack of playing time. I thought she could have definitely played more.

I ventured to McGraw's Bench and am a little concerned. Personally, the reason I became an ND fan was because of Muffett's somewhat hodgey podgey teams competing at high levels. I loved her style of offense. I thought they lost that system a little bit towards the end of her career. I read all of the stuff on NDnation, and I didnt think it was this bad. I am gonna give Niele the benefit of the doubt for now.

Her offense does not complement the players she has. Tbh, I'm not sure what type of offense she is even running. She basically ran out the freshman that transferred. She was the conductor of this last trainwreck of a season she ran, I know she can do without the 3 transfers, because she already did.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Niele Ivey watching son Jaden Ivey (Purdue 4th seed) against North Texas and while Jaden is playing well, North Teas with a 27-18 lead. 5+ minutes left in 1st half

Reaction Score
This is difficult to compare because while Ivey is technically a new coach, she spent many years at Notre Dame, went away for only one year, and many of those years she was working with Beth Cunningham. Not the typical new coach situation, no ties to a school and just cleans house. She did retain Mabrey so its not like she did clean house anyways.
Ivey had a direct hand in the construction of the senior, junior, and sophomore play that were a part of Notre Dame team. She was at Notre Dame when Boley, Dixon, Patberg and those other players transferred from there in the past 3 or 4 years.

Reaction Score
The other element of the story , other than the mishandling of Cunningham leaving, was that Ivey introduced Social Justice testing to the team and didn't like some of the answers and derided a white player for her answers. Pretty amazing stuff.

Reaction Score
Ivey had a direct hand in the construction of the senior, junior, and sophomore play that were a part of Notre Dame team. She was at Notre Dame when Boley, Dixon, Patberg and those other players transferred from there in the past 3 or 4 years.
Does anyone know it the tranfers of Boley, Dixon & Patberg all had to do with playing time or are there other reason?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
This doesn't sound good... (Sherry is Hayes' mother)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The current situation at ND for women's basketball does not look good. Numerous transfers, new coach, two years of losing...as Michael Ray Richardson said. "The ship be sinking"

Reaction Score
The current situation at ND for women's basketball does not look good. Numerous transfers, new coach, two years of losing...as Michael Ray Richardson said. "The ship be sinking"

people are making too much of this imho. Don’t get me wrong it’s not great, but there are always going to be transition issues at any school.

Reaction Score

No it doesn't but I recall some things I've read on VolNation which has me thinking that we may want to reserve judgement. Impression I got is that the family could be more than one can handle.

For all that can be said about the posters on that site, they know their Tennessee HS basketball. We'll see what comes out in the wash as they say.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
people are making too much of this imho. Don’t get me wrong it’s not great, but there are always going to be transition issues at any school.
Hope you are right. I am getting worried that Ivey is not cut out to be a head coach.

ND can surely survive these transfer losses (though I still think Hayes and Campbell will end up being very good college players). And Westbeld, Miles, and Citron should be a good foundation going forward.

Hopefully there are no more transfers this offseason. The way Campbell was totally shunned rubs me the wrong way even as someone who is inclined to give Ivey the benefit of the doubt.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

"In due time it will be revealed" ?!?!

giphy-4.gif

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is an incredible academic institution. Players do not walk away without having a pretty good reason. Multiple players leaving is an indication of a problem that most times stems from the head Coach and how they do things, the environment they create.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is an incredible academic institution. Players do not walk away without having a pretty good reason. Multiple players leaving is an indication of a problem that most times stems from the head Coach and how they do things, the environment they create.
I assume you had the same opinion when AEH, Coombs, and Gordon transferred from the 2017 class.
Or Ekmark & Boykin .

Reaction Score
I assume you had the same opinion when AEH, Coombs, and Gordon transferred from the 2017 class.
Or Ekmark & Boykin .
Not exactly. 1st of all, Uconn is a fine school (my wife & I attended) academically , but it is not Notre Dame. AEH & Geno clearly had problems. The others were not getting playing time and would never be getting playing time. Unlike many who sit on the bench and cheerlead for four years, these players chose to see if they could do better somewhere else. Now, if Crystal or KLS had walked off, you can assume I would have had the same opinion.

Reaction Score
The others were not getting playing time and would never be getting playing time. Unlike many who sit on the bench and cheerlead for four years, these players chose to see if they could do better somewhere else.
The ND players were not getting playing time either. Why is it a problem when they transfer but not when UConn players did?

Reaction Score
The ND players were not getting playing time either. Why is it a problem when they transfer but not when UConn players did?
Notre Dame has had problems off and on for a few years. Jewell Loyd left with a year left to play.

Reaction Score

Dawn Staley had turnover at the beginning and then lost two of her higher profile recruits early on in her tenure.

People get too excited about specifics. I think for Notre Dame and Miss State you probably ought to give the new coach time to build her own program around players who chose her visions and committed to her style.

Maybe neither one of them goes on to succeed, but there is every chance they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom