Notre Dame's Future | The Boneyard

Notre Dame's Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Lou S. is a long-time ND beat writer/observer. Think the story is pretty fair and spot-on.
Based on a lot of give and take over at the Bench and/or my own observations, a few things came to mind:
  • Maddy Westbeld's stated preference is the four. Sounds right and tight with me. Get her to the elbow/foul line and let it rip. Also, it will allow her to control the ball when Miles isn't.
  • A lot depends on Sam Brunelle. If she's injury-free and works herself into the kind of condition we saw at the end of her frosh year, great. If not, having her a small forward won't work, which is a shame because ND needs as many shooters in that lineup as possible.
  • Lessons learned from first year and put into practice the second are critical for a coach's success. Here's hoping Niele -- who was the self-described "good cop" to MM's acerbic teacher -- can find the right balance to move forward with her charges and her staff.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seems like Miles and Westbeld are great options to build around. Brunelle needs to be in good conditioning, otherwise she should not get a lot of play time. Peoples is an enigma to me because she has the frame of both a post and a guard. She needs to become a better jump shooter and FT shooter. If she could do that, she could play the 2 and Citron could bring length and agility to the wing. Dodson should bring quality rebounding and interior defense, but she isn’t a prolific offensive player.

With another year of experience, this team should make the tournament next season. If not, that would be a big disappointment. The pieces are there to be a top 25 team, but they need to piece them together and execute.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Replacing a legend is never easy and I struggle trying to name anyone in men’s or women’s basketball who did and had any noteworthy success, though to be honest, WCBB has only been around for 40+ years and 5 coaches own 26 of the titles so not a lot of opportunities. Niele’s success will depend as much on the expectations as the results she achieves. Louisville is now the King in the ACC with recent ascent of N.C. State looking good.
That said, I think I read that ND will have 6 McDonalds HS All-Americans next year which is an awful lot of talent. Curious to see what Patterson does in a few days which will give us a clue if the Dome is shiny or tarnished....

Reaction Score
9 return + frosh Citron + transfer Dodson

What's the starting 5? Miles - Mabrey - Peoples - Westbeld - Dodson?
with Brunelle & Prohaska as top bench?

21Anaya PeoplesGuard5-10SophomoreDanville, ILSchlarman High
33Sam BrunelleForward6-2SophomoreRuckersville, VaWilliam Monroe
20Nicole BenzGuard5-8SeniorValencia, CAWilliam S. Hart
30Mikayla VaughnCenter6-3SeniorPhiladelphia, PAPaul VI/Friends' Central
1Dara MabreyGuard5-7JuniorBelmar, NJManasquan
10Katlyn GilbertGuard5-10JuniorIndianapolis, INHeritage Christian
12Abby ProhaskaGuard5-10JuniorLiberty Township, OHLakota West
22Danielle CosgroveForward6-4JuniorHolbrook, NYSachem East
24Destinee WalkerGuard5-10GraduateOrlando, FLLake Highland Prep
3Amirah Abdur-RahimForward6-3FreshmanMarietta, GASt. Francis
5Alasia HayesGuard5-7FreshmanMurfreesboro, TNRiverdale
15Natalija MarshallForward6-5FreshmanQueens, NYChrist the King
23Alli CampbellGuard6-0FreshmanAltoona, PABellwood-Antis
25Olivia MilesGuard5-10FreshmanPhillipsburg, NJBlair Academy
34Maddy WestbeldForward6-3FreshmanKettering, OHFairmont

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'd expect Gilbert or Prohaska rather than Mabrey for the 5th starting spot.

If Citron is as good as I think she is, she'll take that spot by season's end.

Reaction Score
I for one would like to see Notre Dame get back to a contending position in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Comments at ND Nation saying there are coaching issues. An assistant was announced as transferring for a new opportunity but she says she was fired and she told the players that. Interesting to see how it all plays out. I only know from what I read at ND Nation.

Reaction Score
an assistant? which one? there's owens, coquese, and mabrey??
Beth Cunningham. I think they are saying Ivey implied Beth left for Duke on her own but it may be more like Beth was let go and only went to Duke because Notre Dame did not want her

Reaction Score
Beth Cunningham. I think they are saying Ivey implied Beth left for Duke on her own but it may be more like Beth was let go and only went to Duke because Notre Dame did not want her
Gotcha thanks.
I vaguely recall no one being surprised that Cunningham was leaving -- was there past bad blood? Or just the fact that in some sense Cunningham would've also been a HC contender

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Many depressed comments on McGraw's Bench. A lot of dissatisfaction with NI's lack of communication with coaches and players. ND insider posters are saying evidently Cunningham told the players she was fired although the University said she was leaving for another position (Duke). Some other chatter that the position coaches weren't contacting players and some parents intervened. Really sounds like a mess. Perhaps @Dillon77 can add some insight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A quick, very quick, perusal of the ND board shows a lot of people criticizing Ivey , and while criticism is to be expected (hell look at the criticism of UConn on this board even when we're doing well), I was struck by no one rushing to defend. Again, was only a very very quick read, so it may have been there, but that seems very bad sign.

Reaction Score
Under certain negative circumstances it is often better if a new coach just cleans house and brings in new people. Other wise it leaves a potential for residual negatives to fester.

Reaction Score
Under certain negative circumstances it is often better if a new coach just cleans house and brings in new people. Other wise it leaves a potential for residual negatives to fester.
This is difficult to compare because while Ivey is technically a new coach, she spent many years at Notre Dame, went away for only one year, and many of those years she was working with Beth Cunningham. Not the typical new coach situation, no ties to a school and just cleans house. She did retain Mabrey so its not like she did clean house anyways.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Personally I think Ivey will be fine at ND. Its her first year and lets not forget that MM had issues with basically this same team last year. Fans are saying how Ivey cost them an NCAA bid but had there been a tourney last year MM would not have made it either to be fair.

Recruiting is the lifeblood to any program and this is why I feel that ND will be just fine. As for the 3 transferring Campbell is the only one that could have found minutes because she was an great shooter in high school and has good size. She only played in 6 games which isn't that many. Abdur-Rahim was a late add or silent commit because if I remember correctly not a lot of people knew she was going to the Irish. As far as Hayes I believe the early enrollment of Miles is what did her in as she played in 13 games and averaged about 8 minutes a game and she had some nice games at the point. Under Iveys tutelage she would have been a fine PG and a great back up to Miles.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It was always clear that Cunningham had been fired. No way she uproots her family for a lateral move unless Ivey didn't want here there.

It's hard to reconcile the accusations of the supposed insiders on the Bench.

If Ivey has been as bad as they say, she should be fired for gross incompetence and half the team ought to be transferring. So far it's just the frosh who didn't play that are transferring.

Smacks of sour grapes or an axe to grind from people close to Cunningham or to the players who were out of favor.

Obviously coaches shouldn't be playing favorites but it's probably inevitable that a new coach will favor the players most able to help her win now and those that she signed.

Harder to be loyal to other the previous coach's developmental projects

Reaction Score
It was always clear that Cunningham had been fired. No way she uproots her family for a lateral move unless Ivey didn't want here there.

It's hard to reconcile the accusations of the supposed insiders on the Bench.

If Ivey has been as bad as they say, she should be fired for gross incompetence and half the team ought to be transferring. So far it's just the frosh who didn't play that are transferring.

Smacks of sour grapes or an axe to grind from people close to Cunningham or to the players who were out of favor.

Obviously coaches shouldn't be playing favorites but it's probably inevitable that a new coach will favor the players most able to help her win now and those that she signed.

Harder to be loyal to other the previous coach's developmental projects
There’s been rumblings that Ivey did not contact Cunningham to tell her she was not being retained and Beth had to contact ND administration to learn of her job status. That’s pretty wild for two coaches who worked closely together under MMG. Does anyone know more about this?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Who were the "previous coach's developmental projects?"

I was referring to Abdur-Rahim, Hayes, and Campbell being seemingly less college ready than Westbeld or Miles.

Though Campbell was froze out entirely so it's hard to say of that was actually the case.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I was referring to Abdur-Rahim, Hayes, and Campbell being seemingly less college ready than Westbeld or Miles.

Though Campbell was froze out entirely so it's hard to say of that was actually the case.
Thanks. I thought Abdur-Rahim might have been considered less college ready but certainly not Campbell based on what Ivey said about her.

Reaction Score
Lou S. is a long-time ND beat writer/observer. Think the story is pretty fair and spot-on.
Based on a lot of give and take over at the Bench and/or my own observations, a few things came to mind:
  • Maddy Westbeld's stated preference is the four. Sounds right and tight with me. Get her to the elbow/foul line and let it rip. Also, it will allow her to control the ball when Miles isn't.
  • A lot depends on Sam Brunelle. If she's injury-free and works herself into the kind of condition we saw at the end of her frosh year, great. If not, having her a small forward won't work, which is a shame because ND needs as many shooters in that lineup as possible.
  • Lessons learned from first year and put into practice the second are critical for a coach's success. Here's hoping Niele -- who was the self-described "good cop" to MM's acerbic teacher -- can find the right balance to move forward with her charges and her staff.

Stay tuned.
Raoul posted 3 ND freshmen entered their names in transfer portal...Abdur-Rahim, Campbell & Hayes. Any idea why they plan to leave prgm?

Reaction Score
Raoul posted 3 ND freshmen entered their names in transfer portal...Abdur-Rahim, Campbell & Hayes. Any idea why they plan to leave prgm?

Besides NO playing time........ not sure. There are some on the bench implying another will be in the portal

Reaction Score
Hayes minutes fell dramatically after Miles joined. Other two had little/no playing time. Before the transfers, ND had 14 for next year's roster so it was gonna be crowded if you weren't on the A team, which none of these were.

Reaction Score
Hayes isn’t surprising, as she opted out of the end of the season. I’d look to see her team up with her sister.

I was consistently surprised Campbell couldn’t get minutes. She looked like a solid player at the beginning of the season but seemed to never get an opportunity with Ivey. I think they will regret not giving her more opportunities.

Rahim is an enigma to me. Didn’t know much about her but hope she lands somewhere that’s a good fit.

Down to 9 players is going to be a challenge, and it puts a lot of weight on the addition of Citron to produce. It’ll be interesting to follow how future recruiting goes. This class was supposed to be one that helped turn around the program, and now 3 of them are gone.

Reaction Score
Down to 9 players is going to be a challenge, and it puts a lot of weight on the addition of Citron to produce. It’ll be interesting to follow how future recruiting goes. This class was supposed to be one that helped turn around the program, and now 3 of them are gone.
9?
Thought it was 9 returnees + Citron + Dodson for 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member